As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Need for Speed: Most Wanted] Paradise 2: Paradise Harder

Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
OPs are not my specialty, but NFSMW has been out for a few days and it doesn't have a thread, and we need a place to talk about it and exchange GTs and PSN IDs and Origin usernames and everything else.

needforspeedmostwantedb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpGS1K9mLPQ

I can't be the only one who bought this game. It's a ton of fun, so let's get some multiplayer goin'! I'll add names to the OP for convenience sake.

PA MEMBERS FRIENDS LISTS

XBL:

- mere_immortal: lego pencil
- PixelStyles: PixelStyles

PSN:

- Sangheili91: TwentyOneTwelve
- Chris FOM: chrisfom
- Kyougu: Brownchiclets
- Ah_Pook: Ah_Pook
- JAEF: Jaef
- Rizzi: Binglesthecat
- rhh3713: rhh3713
- Stormwatcher: Stormwatcher33
- quarthinos: quarthinos

Vita:

- The_Spaniard: Span_Wolf
- Shrike09: Robcat09
- MonkeyConQueso: Aubvry

Origin:

- CorriganX: CorriganX
- Big Isy: Big Isy
- Robes: R0bes
- SkyTurnsRed: SkyTurnsRed
- NailbunnyPD: NailbunnyPD
- Dourin: Dorandil
- TPSou: TPSou
- MyNameIsWalrus: ConfusedWalrus
- Aoi: kirin70
- Xaviar: Xaviar21
- Mr. Obersmith: Obersmith

Sangheili91 on

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I picked it up as well. I'm loving it, but having a lot of pc troubles atm. Ordered new parts to replace whats failin', so should be good to race in a few days. I got it for PC, Origin ID is CorriganX.

Edit: So it turns out, in a cruel twist of fate, my steam sector of my HD is in major disarray. About 70 games had to be redownloaded, won't launch, or lock up the system. However the section of my HD with Origin stuff on it runs fine. So I can play MW all I want, and I will be for the next week or so while I get the new parts in to replace whats busted.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So is that the HDD thats faulty then? I think I'm having similar problems in all honesty.

Also, Origin id is Big Isy. Out midnight tonight so I'll be ready to race, though will likely only go multiplayer once I'm familiar with controls and what not.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Heard a lot of performance woes for PC. Anyone care to comment on how it runs?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I've been having absolutely no problems with it on PC. Runs smooth as silk, not sure if 60 fps or not, but its not noticing a single hitch or anything. Absolutely beautiful game, cars feel just the right weight for drifting, and most of the cars feel different enough from each other to make them all worth using for different things. I really really like the game on PC.

And Isy, I keep getting errors everytime I restart about having bad clusters and files being corrupt. Steam re-downloaded half my library because files were fucked after I finished running a 6 hour Checkdisk. :p Apparently my HDD is going fubar, ordered a new one should be here in a few days.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Just want to say that the box art is refreshingly good for an arcade racing game. No bashing or super-close ups or explosions... Just a little bit of style and a sound colour scheme. Works.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fitting for a pseudo-sequel to Burnout Paradise

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Is this out in the US only? Can't seem to find it to buy over here and both Shopto.net and Origin have confusing messages about when it's actually out. In between AC3 and Halo 4 I'm not sure if I'll get it anyway, but if there's a bunch of PA people playing it I might today while I'm off work.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

It isn't. I was really curious about this title because of all the Paradise mentions, so I've been reading reviews and forum impressions and the consensus is that it really isn't anything like Burnout Paradise at all. It's the same situation as Hot Pursuit. Before it came out, everyone was saying how it looked like a Burnout game in all but name, but after release, it turned out that the handling, the competition, everything was different. Same here. Granted, this is only what I've read, I haven't played it myself.

Nobody's saying it's a bad game. Just that you shouldn't go in expecting a Burnout.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Being delivered for 360 today, GT is lego pencil if anyone wants to dirve around like hooligans.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I've put 3-4 hours into single player and probably 1-2 into multiplayer and it's pretty awesome so far. Everything looks great and it plays beautifully, there's nothing better than barreling around a hairpin at 150MPH and then threading the needle thru a police roadblock. The sense of speed is just incredible.

In my opinion it really does feel like Burnout Paradise but with cops. The world has multiple environments, from downtown to the mountains to the beach and all rural areas. And just like in BP, everywhere you look there's billboards and security gates to smash thru. You could spend hours just driving around and exploring.

It's seriously a blast, but without any friends to populate Autolog, it feels like there's a huge chunk of the game missing. I loved competing with people here on Hot Pursuit, and I'm really looking forward to doing it again in Most Wanted. So as we more more names I'll update the OP so we can get some Autologgin' goin' on.

I'm on PS3 by the way, TwentyOneTwelve.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular

It isn't. I was really curious about this title because of all the Paradise mentions, so I've been reading reviews and forum impressions and the consensus is that it really isn't anything like Burnout Paradise at all. It's the same situation as Hot Pursuit. Before it came out, everyone was saying how it looked like a Burnout game in all but name, but after release, it turned out that the handling, the competition, everything was different. Same here. Granted, this is only what I've read, I haven't played it myself.

Nobody's saying it's a bad game. Just that you shouldn't go in expecting a Burnout.

My only Burnout game is Paradise, which I unabashedly loved. This is a LOT closer to Paradise than Hot Pursuit was. It's not a sequel, as you mentioned the handling is more realistic and the graphics less stylized/idealized, but it still plays very close to Paradise. Open world with lots of free-roaming, some little knick-knack around every corner (jumps, drifts, speed cameras, security gates, and lots more), events are something you pull up to and initiate, etc. This is definitely a hybrid of NFS with Burnout, and thus far I'm liking it more than HP (which I liked a lot at first, then I got absolutely sick of the endless stream of time trials that seemed to be the most prevalent event in a game named after high-speed chases).

PSN ID is chrisfom BTW, please add me because this is a game that demands a decent friend list to really be at its best.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    The racing in this is really great, but the cops have got to go. They add nothing to the game, and in fact detract heavily from it since I can't just race around the city cause who knows when there will be one coming around the corner to catch me speeding!

And you better hope you never get above Level 2 on the cop-o-meter, cause fuck if you're getting rid of them! Better to just sit there and get busted since it is literally impossible to shake a level 3 or higher cop-o-meter.

Fuck the cops.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Put about 30 minutes into it last night and was having lots of fun just driving around. Definitely looking to filling up my speedwall.

PSN ID is Brownchiclets.

• Options
    Debating picking up this or Burnout Paradise. I tried Paradise a while ago and failed to get in to it but I'm really wanting to give it another go. However I'm thinking I may just skip ahead and get this instead.

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The racing in this is really great, but the cops have got to go. They add nothing to the game, and in fact detract heavily from it since I can't just race around the city cause who knows when there will be one coming around the corner to catch me speeding!

And you better hope you never get above Level 2 on the cop-o-meter, cause fuck if you're getting rid of them! Better to just sit there and get busted since it is literally impossible to shake a level 3 or higher cop-o-meter.

Fuck the cops.
    I've been able to get away from te cops easily, even at level 3 and higher. You just have to know where to hide. And when you finally enter cool down and find a hiding spot, click the left stick to shut your engine off, it makes your heat go down a lot faster.

I like the police element. It makes things a lot more exciting during races. I love how they keep chasing you even after the race ends. They don't give a fuck if your race is over, they're out to get you.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I got this game and am enjoying it so far. Steering feels way too stiff though, but it might just be my controller. My origin id is R0bes and I would enjoy having your ugly mugshots populate the billboards in my city <3

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Fuck the cops.
    I've been able to get away from te cops easily, even at level 3 and higher. You just have to know where to hide. And when you finally enter cool down and find a hiding spot, click the left stick to shut your engine off, it makes your heat go down a lot faster.

I like the police element. It makes things a lot more exciting during races. I love how they keep chasing you even after the race ends. They don't give a fuck if your race is over, they're out to get you.

Cops in races are fine. Cops when I'm driving around the city? Nah, son. Nah.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I picked it up on PC, but the game keeps crashing. If I run it full screen, it crashes during the initial loading screen. If I run it windowed, the crash is delayed, but inevitable.

I had Origin check the install, and it found no problems. I checked the installer log and found no issues. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. My system should be plenty capable with an i7 2600K, ATI 5850 with the latest drivers, and 8GB of RAM.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options

It feels extremely like burnout paradise to me. You have a large open world, the cars are super drifty, and races are set in specific locations. You can drive around the city, smashing through billboards and gates, hell to start a race you have to hold brake and gas to burnout. The only thing it doesn't seem to have is a license tier thing. You find cars by finding them in the open world, parked in 'Jack spots' or you beat the most wanted in races then have to smash them to get the car.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Ah, I've been waiting for this thread! Add me on Origin: SkyTurnsRed. Anyone down for a session tonight or sometime this weekend?

• Options
    I've updated the OP with everyone's various usernames and I'll keep adding them as more people post theirs. There's a decent number of PC players, not enough PS360 players!

• Options
    Echoing thoughts of other people I've seen, the cops really just get in the way of goin fast.

I really think EA is underestimating the brand power than Burnout has, especially when they pollute the NFS name with stuff like The Run.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I'm on Origin as NailbunnyPD, if you want to add me.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Debating picking up this or Burnout Paradise. I tried Paradise a while ago and failed to get in to it but I'm really wanting to give it another go. However I'm thinking I may just skip ahead and get this instead.

If you couldn't get into Burnout Paradise, I would hold out on this tbh. Its a big asking price for a game you're not completely sure on. Unless you're getting it on the console and are trading games in for it, then knock yourself out :P

• Options
    Burnout Paradise is still the best racing game ever made.

Maybe second best. After Rad Racer.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    First time I got Paradise I found it really boring. Few months later, I tried again and beat the whole thing, really liked it. So there's that!

• Options
    Multiplayer is ridiculous fun, just did a challenge where you have to get near misses on a interlocking ring statue that's at about 30 degrees.

So much carnage.

• Options
    I love the races with average speeds you need to beat, at least I did. Until I had to beat 135 mph, and finished it at 134.9. Thaaaats a bit infuriating. :p Still loving the feel of the cars though.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

If you couldn't get into Burnout Paradise, I would hold out on this tbh. Its a big asking price for a game you're not completely sure on. Unless you're getting it on the console and are trading games in for it, then knock yourself out :P

A friend brought it round recently on 360 and I actually started to get in to it, so I'm debating it on PC now.

• Options
    Whats the spec of your PC? It might help for comparison to other people here.

• Options
    PixelStylesPixelStyles Registered User regular
    I'm playing on 360, feel free to add me
    XBL: PixelStyles

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Welp, I am still getting a crash. I tried going back to the previous drivers, and tried reinstalling the two DirectX installers. I am redownloading to see if that will do anything worthwhile. I looked for a save to delete, but I'm not sure its actually saving anything locally.

Worst of all, there are no EA forums to see if others are experiencing this. The EA "Help" site is basically useless, and searches have been frustrating considering the game shares the name with a previous game, and searching for crash against a racing game is fruitless.

(edit) I found the save game stuff under My Docs\Criterion Games. I deleted the folder, so maybe that will help. It's still downloading, so I won't know for a while.

NailbunnyPD on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    really liking this game, but yea fuck the cops in free roaming so much. especially because you cant start events while theyre chasing you, and when they bust you it puts you back at a cars spawn point (potentially a 5 mile drive from whatever event you were at but then the cops decided fuck you). so yea. fuck that. i really hope they patch in something where you can turn the cops off in free roaming.

anyone on the ps3 who wants to play some burnout with me add me up, my PSN is Ah_Pook.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Okay. Needle Point in the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport is the most infuriating goddamn race in the game. You have to beat it with an averaged 155 mph. Everytime you race they will randomly send cops head first into you to fuck you over. I've had 4 153+ speeds, and not one 155. So infuriating.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    This game is keeping me up way too late. Every night this week I've gone to bed at 1:30 or 2:00, but I can't help it. It's so damn fun, I absolutely love it. There's little hitches here and there, a few bugs or occasional pop-in, or sometimes the events (like those damn Ambush ones) are just a leeeeetle bit too hard, but then you can always just drive like a freaking maniac blowing past speed cameras at 200+ and sailing hundreds of feet thru the air with a trail of cops following you. It's so much fun it should be illegal. And I'm mainly just playing single-player.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I have the Vita version of this game. Anyone know if I play with the ps3 players?

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    greeble wrote: »
    I have the Vita version of this game. Anyone know if I play with the ps3 players?

I don't think so. It's too bad, because that would be pretty cool.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I picked it up as well and play to fun NFS but most often times having troubles with my laptop despite my laptop is 3rd generation ..
    dear I have the Vita version of this game and i have been playing since 1month...
    If you have the Vita version, why are you having issues with your laptop? Are you even a human? You write like a robot.

Nailbunny I want to feel bad that your game keeps crashing but I can't read "crash" in the context of a racing game without chuckling to myself and thinking "how ironic, a game about cars is crashing."

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Fuck the cops.
    Maybe it's just that I haven't had issues or haven't gotten deep into the game enough but I kind of like having impromptu cop chases. Sometimes I'll nudge one and ram a few more just to get a chase going.

Add me to the list, Jaef on PSN. I'll be adding everyone who's already posted in the thread that I don't have friended yet.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    @CorriganX is untouchable on the leaderboards. Yikes.