As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extreme chewing

ElinElin Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
th_IMAG0624.jpg?t=1351978645

See that dapper gentleman in his sweater? That guys name is Rocky Raccoon and he's a chewing MACHINE. Before he came to live with us that cute little pug in the background used to have all sorts of stuffed animals and Nylabones. No more. He can shred the "indestructible" dog toys in just a few hours. He takes the hardest Nylabones and ruins them in days. I have Kongs for them but he's only interested in them when they contain treats. He likes antlers but he actually splintered one in a few days which I didn't think was possible.

Those of you with insane chewers in your homes - what do you give the little terrors? I want to make sure he has acceptable outlets for his chewing, but I can't afford to buy 15 Nylabones a month.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
PSN Hypacia
Xbox HypaciaMinnow
Discord Hypacia#0391
Elin on

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I can't tell the age by looking. Is he actually teething right now? If so, he'll probably destroy everything at knee height or lower that fits in his mouth, but he'll grow out of it.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    my wife is a dog trainer, and one of her clients with a very chew-happy dog started buying chew toys for zoo animals - lions and tigers specifically :D

• Options
    This dude is a 2 year old pug/beagle mix, he's not growing out of anything at this point. He's got some pretty formidable equipment.

IMAG0443-2.jpg?t=1348893042

He's a pound dog, only had him for a few months. He's a pretty mouthy dog, not really a biter but he doesn't pull his bite if he does make contact. My husband and I have both gotten some bruises playing with him although he hasn't drawn blood as yet. He does play nice with the Pug (Layla), she's sturdy so when they wrestle she holds her own.

I'll look into wild animal toys. I'm assuming that would be something I could look for online.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you best bet are nylabones or real bones. even those "extreme" fire hose toys will go down to a chewer, they are more tug toys.

make sure you grab the hard kind not the soft ones. our dog went through a no soft toys phase, but then slowly we were able to give them back. but for a while, nylabones were the only thing we could have. they make different sizes and shapes

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The Nylabones I have gotten in the past are the dura chews for powerful chewers. Within a day or so there are deep furrows in the toy with sharp ridges. The ridges cut at his gums and Layla's and I will see blood on them. I toss them at that point. I suppose I could shave the ridges off but they go so quick it doesn't feel worth it. Is there a better type of Nylabone?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Try Nylabone’s Galileo design. They were invented just for dogs like yours.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    yea i would try the galileo. they too come in different sizes. they are a bit phallic though so be warned, though they are expensive compared to the other types.
    is this the shape you have?
    http://amzn.to/Q0LZ3v
    i find that 'boney' shape wears down fast.

try something like this
    http://amzn.to/WIB2X3

or this (our personal favorite)

http://amzn.to/Z9TK7B

maybe this
    http://amzn.to/TcyFWC

this looks cool but i could see it getting sharp
    http://amzn.to/PI7tRg

this is the galileo
    http://amzn.to/UcBdlV

that is impressive he can get through them that fast. though a little blood is not that big a deal if it is just from chewing, as long as it isn't a ton it is 'probably' fine. just use your best judgement. though i find that when our dog creates a flat spot, she moves on to another spot of it.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    That is the most phallic dog toy I've ever seen that wasn't actually a dildo.

I won't make you guys label those links, but I would DEFINITELY pick them up and put them out of sight when you have company. o_O

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    His chewing ability is impressive. I may try the Galileo chew. I have to buy two of them though, if I buy just 1 toy they'll fight over it. Funny, I don't want kids but they act like asshole toddlers.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    also pricey but my buddy has a pit mix and he got one of these. i was thinking about trying one, but my dog tends to lose interest in the stuff she is unable to destroy. the blood is ok, i've heard all you need to do is take it away for a couple days so their gums heal up.

edit: wow, did i not make a link to the Goughnuts site work... somebody else mentioned them so no harm done. other than it appears i was drunk when making this post...

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    We had an Akita that destroyed most toys and we eventually had to settle for only buying these rope toys, have you tried those yet? They sell big ones for bigger dogs and it would always take our Akita a good long while to work her way through them.

• Options
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »
    We had an Akita that destroyed most toys and we eventually had to settle for only buying these rope toys, have you tried those yet? They sell big ones for bigger dogs and it would always take our Akita a good long while to work her way through them.

The problem with rope toys is that he loves them. As is he loves deliberately chewing off the frayed bits and eating them. Then he picks one spot to gnaw at until it frays and he eats that. I'm pretty sure he's deliberately plotting his intestinal blockage.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    I've been giving our dog GoughNuts. She destroyed a Kong in about 2 weeks, but the Goughnut stick and doughnut both seem to be holding up 6 months later. The nice thing about them is they have different color rubber in the middle to indicate that they need replacing - which they'll do for free (supposedly - I haven't got near that stage yet).

Only downside, you may need to hide the stick when guests come over... 'its a dog toy! Honest!'

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    BigBadWolf wrote: »
    Only downside, you may need to hide the stick when guests come over... 'its a dog toy! Honest!'

I thought you were kidding, but that big black one looks just like my butt plugs.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Holy shit @Elin, where do you live? We have a puggle that was also a pound dog who looks exactly the same and also was a crazy chewer (he's also about 2 now). I'm randomly convinced they're brothers...especially if yours is from the maryland area. I used to work at the shelter where we got our dog, and they gave the animals alliterative names there.

Anyways, we went to Costco, where they have a pack of 20 rollhide bone things for about $13. He goes apeshit, and it kept him from destroying all of his other toys.

We also found these rubberized kong balls that are textured. I think they're for teething pups, but he loves them and they're the only thing that withstands his mighty maw.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Holy shit @Elin, where do you live? We have a puggle that was also a pound dog who looks exactly the same and also was a crazy chewer (he's also about 2 now). I'm randomly convinced they're brothers...especially if yours is from the maryland area. I used to work at the shelter where we got our dog, and they gave the animals alliterative names there.

Anyways, we went to Costco, where they have a pack of 20 rollhide bone things for about $13. He goes apeshit, and it kept him from destroying all of his other toys.

We also found these rubberized kong balls that are textured. I think they're for teething pups, but he loves them and they're the only thing that withstands his mighty maw.

Sorry, he's a Colorado dog. Probably not long lost relatives although I do live in a college town so it's a small possibility.

I picked up a toy in this product line and it seems to be holding out. I'll probably get one of the bigger ones when this gives, as this one is rated for smaller dogs.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391