As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gift for a new Gamer Dad

DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
Hey guys, a buddy of mine is having a kid in a couple of months and is also having a birthday soon. I was wondering if you knew of any good gifts to get a gamer dad? Typically we get each other geeky stuff since our wives don't. Any suggestions?

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Diapers.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    A night out, have a nanny come over for a night and give them a night just to themselves, I suppose it would be helpful if we had a cost range. Maybe a day where a maid comes and cleans the place.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Diapers.

He probably won't be doing much gaming after baby, at least not right away. So get him a subscription to GameInformer - he can read what was popular two months ago, 8-)

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    I'd start with a theme T-shirt that also comes in kid sizes. Like a Player 1# in large adult size and Player #2 in tiny baby size.
    Reinforce that bonding.
    Alternatively, get a WoW T-shirt for him, and a Maternity shirt for mom that says something like "Future Raid Healer" on the belly.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Diapers.

He probably won't be doing much gaming after baby, at least not right away. So get him a subscription to GameInformer - he can read what was popular two months ago, 8-)

Right away is actually a prime gaming time. Infants sleep like 20 out of every 24 hours. : )

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Diapers.

Right away is actually a prime gaming time. Infants sleep like 20 out of every 24 hours. : )

Alternatively I've known parents who will rock their baby with their feet (the baby being in a cradle) while playing games.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Diapers.

Alternatively I've known parents who will rock their baby with their feet (the baby being in a cradle) while playing games.

i did this with a bouncer, works ok if they are sleeping ok, still would recomend a pause option for vomits etc.

the other option is games you can play 1 handed (RTS, puzzles, shoguns

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    WildEEP wrote: »
    I'd start with a theme T-shirt that also comes in kid sizes. Like a Player 1# in large adult size and Player #2 in tiny baby size.
    Reinforce that bonding.
    Alternatively, get a WoW T-shirt for him, and a Maternity shirt for mom that says something like "Future Raid Healer" on the belly.

That's an awesome idea!

The price range is like $50-$75!

Great ideas everyone!

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    http://www.diapers.com/p/infantino-support-ergonomic-carrier-265735

What about one of these bad boys? Strap baby on BOOM both hands free to hold a controller. Bonus: actually useful for other life activities.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    SpiritfireSpiritfire Brookfield, WIRegistered User regular
    The bouncy chair afforded me many hours wasted in Diablo 3. My friend managed to play one-handed with his newborn cradled in the other arm because he had a gaming mouse.

I too wanted to get the Player 1 and Player 2 set for the PA store, but decided to wait since my son had an abundance of onesies that he was growing out of rapidly. Hated the idea of buying something neat that he'd wear once or twice. Clothes and gaming-related costumes are probably the best option, though. If my Facebook feed is an accurate barometer, ever day can be Halloween when you have newborns infants. Anyway, if you like the clothes idea, Cafe Press has some really cute gaming-related onesies if you're looking beyond what PA offers.

As a note of caution, you may want to gauge how accepting his wife is to gifting him with things that make it easier for him to continue gaming as a new father. My friend bought me a copy of D3 and I did get to play it quite a bit in the first month, but it wasn't exactly the image of fatherhood that my wife had envisioned.

• Options
    Awesome stuff guys! I think I'm going to do the Player 1 t-Shirt / Player 2 Onsie thing. Then I saw a few things to get him from ThinkGeek. A book that shows how to take care of a baby. I think he'll love it. And good call @SpiritFire, I can't get him anything particually designed to take his time. I think his wife would flip her lid!