As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to New York, girlfriend wants to come. Work/Study options?

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving to New York via a work transfer in January (hopefully) and my girlfriend and I have talked about her coming to. We're from Australia. She's a 28 year old oral health therapist. (Sort of like a less qualified dentist that has to work under an actual dentist). The designation doesn't really exist in the US.

So we're both keen on her coming, but the realities of the work/visa situation make it a bit hard. I've done some research and have come up with the following options:

1. My sort of visa allows a cohabiting partner to come for the same duration, but she could not work or study. Not ideal.
2. Come on a tourist visa and attempt to get sponsored in New York on an E-3 working visa. Sounds difficult but possible.
3. Get a student visa and study as a postgrad. This could be good, but classes don't start at the right time. Otherwise sounds good.
4. Get married, then I can get her a partner working visa. I don't think I'm ready for this.

So as far as I can tell these are the limit of my options. Have I missed anything? Has anyone here been through anything similar? Thoughts?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    In the US, I believe her position is called a Dental Hygenist. She could become registered. I believe if she comes over as a tourist and then updates to a work visa, she would have to first return home and then re-enter the US under the new visa, so that'd add a bit of expense to the idea.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    A student visa for postgraduate study sounds like your best, safest bet to me. It may not start at the same time, but if she's serious enough to move to a different country with you she is probably serious enough to be long-distance until the term starts. It sucks, but it would only be about 8 months of long-distance.

My understanding of US Immigration law is about 12 years out of date, and my advice to you is actually to consult an immigration lawyer. They have the tools to cut through so much of the bullshit for you, lay out your options frankly, and get you through some of the tough paperwork. Doing so now could save you some confusion or disappointment later, especially since you two are looking at options that don't quite match the relationship you have currently. If you can afford it, it's definitely a worthwhile thing to consider. I have a friend living in Australia who went there as a student and then decided to stay; she would have been deported by now if she hadn't found a lawyer there.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn