As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tablet for anime watching suggestions

My wife wants to be able to watch anime on a tablet. Does anyone have a suggestions for a device that could conceivably run all the various codecs and soft-subs from the fansub community? I'm assuming an ipad is right out, but I'd kind of prefer non-apple anyway because I don't want to go crazy spending on our first non e-ink tablet.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    The Nexus 7 with MXPlayer should be able to play anything you could throw at it so long as the videos aren't like, 1080p or something ridiculous like that.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Some of them may be >.>

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    The other problem your going to run into is that a lot of sub groups are switching to 10 bit h.264, which is a real hog on resources to play, and isn't built into hardware decoders yet.

Though it isn't too hard to re-encode videos down to 8 bit, or reduce the size to 720p.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    So i can't get like...CCCP for Android tablet devices yet?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    So i can't get like...CCCP for Android tablet devices yet?

mxplayer or vlc, or a few other media apps will play just about everything. I just can't guarantee that 10 bit h.264 or 1080p video won't lag a little, someone with a newer phone might be able to test for your.

but if it does then you just need to run the files through something like handbrake and re-encode them into something a little lower resolution.

and the nexus 7 is an excellent tablet, for a very reasonable price.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ok thanks! I will look into it. Maybe cyber monday will bear fruit...

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    if you've got a decent always-on computer, you might want to look into running something like ps3 media server and then simply stream the anime to your tablet. That would solve the "does it play everything" detail. I'm not sure what the options are as far as media players to play the stream on the tablet, but that's likely going to be something sought after. It's certainly something to look into.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN