As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC tournaments: What's the plan?

FallFall Registered User regular
edited August 2004 in PAX Archive
Since we haven't had any official response regarding the oft delayed scheduling of the PC tournaments, I posted a new thread in hopes of attracting the attention of PAX staff members.

The event itself is about a month away and the PC tournaments haven't been decided upon. What's going on?

If any help is needed I'd be more than willing to help run or plan the tournaments as I have expertise in that area.

Fall on

• Options
    Penguin Born To FragPenguin Born To Frag Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Sure 'expertise' you mean at, saying "look a pink elephant" and grabbing the tower and w/e else you can carry and running off, lmao just kidding, uhh i could helpo too, maybe

Penguin Born To Frag on
    "Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now." - Funny 'motivational' poster on ThinkGeek.com
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2004
    Here's the plan.

1) Load up ONS-Torlan
    2) Allow me to get Redeemer
    3) I fire Redeemer
    4) The other team loses
    5)
    6) Pancakes!

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Step 6 was pure genius.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited July 2004
    We're still working out the details of the PC tournaments - we're having some hiccups right now, but they'll get ironed out pretty soon here.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ChunkyButterChunkyButter Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    uc4life wrote:
    Here is what the PC tournament looks like right now
    (this is by no means a FINAL schedual)

day1:
    moonbase commander
    rtcw:enemy territory
    CS

day2: (ut2k4 day)
    CTF 8v8
    Onslaught 8v8
    DM 1v1v1v1.....(you get the picture)
    I think this wasnt that bad of a setup, the main comlaints were too much UT2k4. Maybe switch one of the UT tourneys with warcraft 3 or CoD or whatever.

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    It'd be nice if we could get an ETA for when these "hiccups" will be ironed out?

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    uc4life wrote:
    Here is what the PC tournament looks like right now
    (this is by no means a FINAL schedual)

day1:
    moonbase commander
    rtcw:enemy territory
    CS

day2: (ut2k4 day)
    CTF 8v8
    Onslaught 8v8
    DM 1v1v1v1.....(you get the picture)
    I think this wasnt that bad of a setup, the main comlaints were too much UT2k4. Maybe switch one of the UT tourneys with warcraft 3 or CoD or whatever.
    No. No. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO.

A whole day dedicated to UT2k4 is great. Axe that Enemy Territory and put WC3 in.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    westyside26westyside26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    screw that, way too much ut2k4. you know, did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, some peopel arent too hot for UT? I mean really how can you have an 8v8 tournament? the logistics are gonna be a nightmare
    I vote ReVolt

westyside26 on
  • Options
    FallFall Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    The PC tournament games will be limited to those Lanwerx has access to. That means no Revolt, Pandora Tomarrow, or Moonbase Commander.

More information will hopefully be coming soon.

Fall on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I'll have:

Revolt
    Worms Armageddon
    UT2k4
    UT
    Quake 3(but I don't play it)
    Joint Ops: TR
    AoEII
    Warcraft 3
    and some others

Any of these I'm up for playing. So even if there isn't a tournament for them I can play other BYOC people in them including Revolt and WA

terrix on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    That's a good mix of games you've got there. I've found you can only play first person shooters for sixteen hours or so before they get tiresome. Thus, it is wise to change up with games from a different genre.

So might I humbly suggest a Nethack tournament?

Version 3.4.3 is ready at www.nethack.org.
    Simple rules: random character generation. Go as far as you can in one hour or until you die. High score wins.

I can even provide a machine for this.
    I think the minimum requirement is a 386@25mhz. Math coprocessor optional, so you don't have to spring for the DX version.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    PAX is 3 weeks away and we still have no idea what PC tourneys there will be......kinda makes me sad :(

ChunkyButter on
  • Options
    BLE|EnderBLE|Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    8v8 CTF for 2k4 is laughable. 5v5 is asking for trouble even...at an event you really don't know how much interest there is in the game, with a mod that is quite complex and has a high learning curve. 3v3 CTF would be good as you could field more teams and have better more even competition. Hell, the group I'm bringing will have at least 6 better than average 2k4 players in it, so there's 2 evenly matched teams.

As much as I love 2k4, it's kinda lame to give it its own day while the other day has 3 games to it. Split it up more evenly imo - 2 games per day. I'd suggest making 2k4 and CS on the same day (the first day) as I don't know ANY 2k4 players who play CS (what a sin!) and tournaments for those games are likely to take a long time (esp CS) so they'll need the extra time to get completed.

Make the second day the non fps day, with WC3 for sure, and then some other cool non fps game...unless the masses wanted something like CoD or ET. But Worms World Party (or Armegedon) would be real cool as well.

There's my 2 cents Fallout...and you'd better listen to me or I'm going to kick your lily ass!!!!! :mad: ;):p

BLE|Ender on