As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game suggestions (Like BLOPS2:Zombies, the mystery and promblem solving part)

KyleCamelotKyleCamelot Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
First off, I'm not sure if this should be in this forum or the Game one, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

Anyway, I'm having a surprising amount of fun with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Zombie: Tranzit.

The part I'm enjoying the most, however, is the discovery and problem solving, rather than the survival aspects (though I liked them in the other COD games, and horde modes in general.) I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other titles that fit that sort of, get placed in a world, try to figure things out, almost roguelike mystery game? Preferably multiplayer?

Edit: I mentioned Uru, but misremembered it completely from when I was a kid, and it's not really pertinent to the conversation.

Thanks in advance.

KyleCamelot on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Why not Uru? It sounds like you just want the entire genre of adventure games.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, per se, and I'm not familiar with that particular game, but... umm... I think Shadow of Destiny (PS2/PC/PSP) might fit the bill though? You basically (minor spoiler from the beginning of the game)
    are killed at the beginning of the game, then have to figure out how to prevent your murder before it happens, while discovering important information about the town you're in.
    Single-player though. I don't think too many games like what you want are multiplayer... Portal 2 almost feels like it fits the bill for me, and it has co-op, but it might be more linear than what you're looking for.

If you want freeform puzzle-solving, yeah, almost the entire adventure game genre would fit the bill. I guess it depends on the control scheme and graphics you're looking for. The heyday for point-and-click adventure games was on PCs and Macs in the late 80's-90's (Sam and Max Hit the Road, the Monkey Island series, etc.)-- tons of good games from back then, but obviously they're mostly not set in a 3D world if that's what you're looking for. There are definitely more good point-and-clicks coming out in modern times though. Telltale Games is doing a great job right now, and the first episode for all/most of their games is free, although they might be a little bit more guided than what you're looking for (I feel like older point-and-clicks tend to be more open-ended). Other recent games that might fit the bill include Time Hollow and 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS; both are adventure games crossed with visual novels).

Also, obviously there's the entire Myst series, which (like it or not) is pretty much exactly what you described. I don't personally like Myst very much because it seems TOO open-ended for me. On the other hand, adventure games (particularly point-and-clicks) are basically my favorite genre of all time, sooo... Gimme some time and/or more details about what you want and I'll see if I can come up with something that would be a good fit for you. Not thinking well since I'm about to go to sleep. :P

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Not multiplayer, but I think Penumbra 1 & 2 as well as Amnesia is what you are looking for.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Would definitely second Amnesia, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) he's talking about the easter egg side of Zombies mode. So like you wander around an environment and there's loads of secrets and things to find and interact with and discover.

I'd maybe consider playing something like Fallout or Skyrim and ignoring the main quest, there's so much to discover in those places and if you turn the difficulty slider down the combat becomes trivial and fast.

Multiplayer-wise this is a really under-developed genre. There's a few co-op RPGs like Sacred 2 but the puzzles are much lighter. I'm going to have a think, I'm interested in this too.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Not multiplayer and for the Gamecube, but Eternal Darkness.

There are a few puzzles and a lot of easter eggs in Torchlight 2, which IS multiplayer but probably less puzzly.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Don't Starve is very high on the "figure stuff out" front, which is pretty cool. Think of it like if minecraft was a roguelike.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I loooooove the Myst series. I'd recommend trying out RealMyst.