As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weighing my meat (Calorie Counting)

I'm currently on a cutting diet and have managed to drop from around 20% - 12% body fat. I'm getting really strict on maintaining my calorie deficit and keeping my protein/carb intake and strong levels.

Question about weighing meat...

Do I weigh chicken breast or lean beef BEFORE or AFTER i cook it? Normally i wouldn't care (as i've kept it consistant during my program) but the more strict i've become with my diet the more accurate i want my intake of calories and protein to be.
For e.g 100g of Chicken breast = about 140 Calories. Should that be based on cooked or uncooked chicken? Theres about a 40g weight difference :S
I'm trying to mix my meals around while maintaining 1800 calories a day.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    the cooked bit is what goes inside you

weigh that

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Most calorie information for meat is for raw, and it should say so in the description. The reason is because it's much easier to measure out food before you mix it all up in other things. If your source for calorie information ONLY has cooked meat calorie information, find another source -- a quick search shows me a ton of sites that show raw mean calorie counts.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Most calorie information for meat is for raw, and it should say so in the description. The reason is because it's much easier to measure out food before you mix it all up in other things. If your source for calorie information ONLY has cooked meat calorie information, find another source -- a quick search shows me a ton of sites that show raw mean calorie counts.

Yes.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    Ok looks like i've possibly been measuring my calories wrong. I've been using 100g of 'cooked' chicken = 140 calories, when i should have based the 100g on raw chicken. I checked out some common threads on bodybuilding.com, and its a bit of a mixed bag, but with more people leaning towards weighing meat pre-cooking.

Hmmm looks like i'll neeed to re-examine my diet. I'll shift calories around and see what effects it has. Cheers for the input guys.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Check out "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Calorie counting is far less important than you think.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Check out "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. Calorie counting is far less important than you think.

We're not having food debates here. The question was about calorie charts and raw and cooked meat. If you don't have an answer to that question please don't post in the thread.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn