As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Stand Your Ground] II: Florida Boogaloo

What do you know, once again, Florida's Stand Your Ground law has tragic consequences. Already, the accused has forwarded a SYG defense claiming that he had a shotgun levelled at him, even though police did not find one in the vehicle the victim was in.

At what point do we look at this law and realize that not only does it not work, but it is endangering people?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    That guy just sounds like a nut bag that a "Falling Down" moment. SYG is hardly to blame for it and most likely will not be enforced from what the article states.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Dude should've known to do what cops do, and just say he saw a black, hand-shaped handgun.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    If there was a shotgun, how/why did one dude get off 8-9 rounds without any return fire from it at any point?

This is a great endorsement for minding your own fucking business and staying out of other peoples'.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    OK. There was a shotgun, or at least he thought there was a shotgun. At least he stuck around like a responsible...

oh. wait.

At least he didn't leave the county after seeing on the news that someone actually died and... oh wait

But he turned himself in after all that right? 'Cause that's what innocent people do.

WELP

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    That guy just sounds like a nut bag that a "Falling Down" moment. SYG is hardly to blame for it and most likely will not be enforced from what the article states.

Isolated incident right? I mean it can't possibly be because of a ridiculously vague law that these things keep happening in florida...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »
    OK. There was a shotgun, or at least he thought there was a shotgun. At least he stuck around like a responsible...

oh. wait.

At least he didn't leave the county after seeing on the news that someone actually died and... oh wait

But he turned himself in after all that right? 'Cause that's what innocent people do.

WELP

Dude totally stood his ground though.

• Options
    Look that kid was dangerously alive while black I think the Martin case already showed that puts anyone in florida in danger.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The only reason the Martin case is a crapfest is because there are no credible witnesses.

Lesson learned from this article? Don't argue with pissed off strangers. Things like this happen everday and outside of Florida.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Yeah and in reasonable states without insane laws made up in the mind of charles bronson, if you shoot someone in an argument or chasing down a youth in the middle of a sub division you go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200k from right wing morons.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The only reason the Martin case is a crapfest is because there are no credible witnesses.

Lesson learned from this article? Don't argue with pissed off strangers. Things like this happen everday and outside of Florida.

They really don't.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    If the article was true and there was no shotgun then he will. Also according to the article he was arrested.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Other lesson learned: if you've screwed up and shot someone, shoot his friends too. As long as there's no survivors you're standing your ground.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    And since it is a black teenager being shot this is somehow a case we need to discuss like both sides have merit. Had an older black man shot a white kid the black man would have been in jail faster than the rightwing can create fake facebook pages of murdered innocent black teenagers.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Other lesson learned: if you've screwed up and shot someone, shoot his friends too. As long as there's no survivors you're standing your ground.

Or even if it's 1-on-1 and you haven't shot him yet, if there's no one looking? Go ahead and shoot him.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Huu wrote: »
    And since it is a black teenager being shot this is somehow a case we need to discuss like both sides have merit. Had an older black man shot a white kid the black man would have been in jail faster than the rightwing can create fake facebook pages of murdered innocent black teenagers.
    I heard about something like that happening on NPR, but now I can't find it on the internet because of the noise for this case. It was only a promotion for a later segment, though, so maybe that was not in fact the case.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    End of the world coming. I sure don't trust them folks over there. Looters? Up here from my balcony they look to be kinna... shuffling. Better get the ol' rifle ready.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    From that article

This is apparently either the dude's words, or his lawyer's
    ...all he sees are heavily tinted front windows that are up and the back windows that are down, and the car has at least four black men in it...

This is presented as "Evidence" for why Dunn felt "threatened" along with the allegation that they leveled a shotgun at him and were playing loud music and cursing.

But I mean really. It is 2012, and that sentence is said with the intention that it is reasonable evidence for being afraid.

There were at least four black men in that SUV!

Hoooo boy

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I wonder if I at some point can feel threatened by middle aged white christian males in pick-up trucks blasting Ted Nugent.

Because seriously.

I'd be totally justified in capping their threatening asses, right?

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Took a handgun safety course a few years ago because a friend wanted company and it was interesting and pretty sensible....until we got to this:

"Two things, first if you are pointing a gun at a criminal do not hesitate to shoot because he's a bad guy and he won't hesitate to get it away from you."

Hey, probably good advice. If you're pointing a gun at a person you should definitely be ready to shoot or you have no business pointing it at somebody. Then he went on:

"...and remember, if somebody breaks into your home and you do have to shoot....You only want there to be one witness."

What, one witness what does he mean.....WOA, WAIT A MINUTE.

Commended NRA instructor there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Does anyone honestly believe that if SYG didn't exist, these idiots wouldn't still be shooting people?

Is that a position anyone is actually taking here?

You might tell your teacher that your dog ate your homework, but you still wouldn't have done it even if Pooch wasn't there.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I believe without SYG this shit would be less likely to happen because assholes like the guy in the OP would know they don't have a legal leg to stand on if they pull this kind of shit.

I also believe it would get rid of another needless hurdle in the path of obtaining justice for people who are the victims of assholes with a severe case of Deathwish syndrome.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    That wasn't an argument for retaining SYG, but no, these idiots would still be shooting people regardless.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I don't think there'd be as many of them running around thinking they could legally get away with being Charles Bronson.

• Options
    I think you don't understand the mind of the southern idiot then. This law didn't happen in a vacuum, even taking the NRA into account (which again, doesn't exist in a vacuum).

These people don't understand the responsibility of gun ownership. Ironically, I'm coming more and more to the opinion that NRA membership should be grounds for revoking someone's 2nd amendment rights.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I think the very point of a Stand Your Ground law is that concealed carry owners would be emboldened and more likely to intervene in crimes in progress.

I guess in hypothetical fantasy land this results in the gun being flashed, the criminals quaking in fear until the cops show up and commend the citizen for being awesome.

So far it seems we get criminals shooting at random being exonerated and lots of dead teenagers (who might, completely randomly, be black.)

• Options
    And what I'm saying is that these people already feel they have the right to become the lone ranger.

The law doesn't really change this.

I think the law is kinda dumb myself, as it is unnecessary to protect a gun owner's rights to own a gun and a person's right to self defense.

But saying that this law is why people are shooting. In both this case and the Martin case you have idiots who see black, think criminal, shoot first, plead self defense later.

The law was written to protect these honorable men from the liberal injustice of other people's rights. Should the law be nerfed or tanked completely? Of course. Is the law the reason people are shooting each other? Of course it isn't.

The same logic would tell us that legal abortion has increased the number of abortions and that legal gay marriage is going to turn us all gay.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AFME, the difference is, them knowing about the existence of SYG probably emboldens them in situations they might previously have hesitated.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    AFME, the difference is, them knowing about the existence of SYG probably emboldens them in situations they might previously have hesitated.

I guess we just don't agree on the existence of their self control. I mean, I want to change or get rid of the law, don't get me wrong. I'm just not convinced that it does anything other than give these jags an excuse.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Er.....what's the difference between giving them an excuse to shoot and emboldening them to shoot?

• Options
    Er.....what's the difference between giving them an excuse to shoot and emboldening them to shoot?

Well one is a cause and the other isn't. Simple enough to figure out I thought.

What I'm saying is that I think that Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis would still be dead even if SYG didn't exist.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Still not following on how that is the case.

If a dude I hate insults me and I use that as an excuse to punch him....the insult didn't cause the punch to be thrown but it's use as an excuse lowered the bar for the punch to be thrown.

I think what your opposition here is saying that the SYG law did was lower the bar for these kinds of shooting to happen.

I certainly don't think we wouldn't have gotten any of these shootings without SYG but I think it being there made people more likely to escalate to pulling a gun.

• Options
    The insult is the excuse to throw the punch, seeing a black guy was the excuse to fire a gun. Is there a "punch a dick" law in effect that makes you think you're not going to get gigged for punching the guy?

SYG makes the aftermath of a murder more complicated for the prosecutor, I haven't seen a case made that it makes people more likely to shoot in the first place.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    "Can I shoot this black kid and get away with it? Well... I am white. But that's not really good enough anymore, these days. Oh wait! I forgot! There's that one law on the books! Something about standing your ground, I think? I'll bet I can shoot this black kid now and get away with it!"

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    "Can I shoot this black kid and get away with it? Well... I am white. But that's not really good enough anymore, these days. Oh wait! I forgot! There's that one law on the books! Something about standing your ground, I think? I'll bet I can shoot this black kid now and get away with it!"

Please to provide any evidence to support this conclusion

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    "I am feeling threatened and can legally shoot this man" is the excuse.

The feeling threatened part may well have a racial component but that isn't the excuse, that's the "that I hate" part. It may be ultimately why the trigger was pulled but the SYG removed one of the barriers that stopped it from happening.

• Options
    I'm still unconvinced that it did. I don't think any of these shootings would've been stopped without SYG. Self defense is still a thing that existed before SYG laws were put into effect. All this does is change the language after the fact.

I don't understand why that's such a strange idea.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The problem with stand your ground laws is that they stop murderers from getting convicted, not that they cause shootings to happen.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I think you need to spend more time around gun nuts.

I agree it would be unlikely to expect your average dude on the street to understand what SYG means with regards to his responsibilities for self defense. Gun guys, the kind who carry concealed, will have a super firm grasp of when they can shoot somebody. Removing "Duty to retreat" absolutely lowers the standard and increases the scenarios where they can just shoot people and feel they fulfilled their obligations legally (and hence, feel they were morally justified and it was an acceptable action.)

• Options
    I think you need to spend more time around gun nuts.

I agree it would be unlikely to expect your average dude on the street to understand what SYG means with regards to his responsibilities for self defense. Gun guys, the kind who carry concealed, will have a super firm grasp of when they can shoot somebody. Removing "Duty to retreat" absolutely lowers the standard and increases the scenarios where they can just shoot people and feel they fulfilled their obligations legally (and hence, feel they were morally justified and it was an acceptable action.)

That's funny, because I think you guys need to spend some time around gun nuts.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The problem with stand your ground laws is that they stop murderers from getting convicted, not that they cause shootings to happen.

A big part of conviction/enforcement is deterrence.

If the SYG laws stop murderers from getting convicted, similar murderers will not be deterred by the fear of conviction.

That means they cause shootings to happen.