Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Programming project idea

dorindorin Registered User regular
I'm wanting to start a new programming project, and looking for ideas on what to do. I'd like to make a simple tool, related to making games, but don't have anything more specific than that.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Does it have to fill a hole currently lacking in good tools, or are you just looking for a project to practice?

• dorindorin Registered User regular
    Just practice

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    99% of the tools I use are related to art assets and converting data to or from XML. How about a tool that reads a directory of images and generates xml based on the contents? That's sotra like something we use for real (except it reads a .fla instead) and feels like a tool that people would use for real.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    How about an automated tool that will animate a set of spritesheets

Korror wrote: »
    99% of the tools I use are related to art assets and converting data to or from XML. How about a tool that reads a directory of images and generates xml based on the contents? That's sotra like something we use for real (except it reads a .fla instead) and feels like a tool that people would use for real.
    What sort of data would be useful? I assume you are looking for something more than just a list of files

In a real life situation, I'd probably be interested in the images dimensions so I could just run this tool, generate the xml and then use the xml when I'm loading these images from a server to make sure I set the correct dimensions and the images aren't warped when I load them in. I'm not 100% sure if that's possible though.

@Korror: Thanks for the suggestion. That turned out to be just what I was looking for. Here's the program if you're interested. gigashare.in/ea16f

@dorin Nifty, I'll try it out.