Options

Castlevania. Which ones should I play?

CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I don't have much experience with this series, other then the DS games. I really enjoyed both of them, so now I would like to go back and play some of the older ones. So, which ones do you guys recommend, and which can I safely skip? I'd like to play most of them, so unless it's really bad feel free to recommend it if you like it. Thanks!

Corsair on

• Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I loved Dawn of Sorrow, and if you did too, Aria of Sorrow on the GBA is extremley similar, just as good (albiet a little less in-depth and with slightly, not as high-res graphics), is the prequel to DoS and comes in a double pack with Harmony of Dessodance so you can try that out too.

I probably spelt the name of the second game on the GBA double pack wrong, but I don't care, you get the idea.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Got a 360? Symphony of the Night is going up on the Live Arcade next Wednesday!

My favourite Castlevania is Bloodlines on the Genesis (Castlevania: The New Generation in Europe), even now it is so absolutely fantastic.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Symphony of the Night and Simon's Quest (Castlevania 2) are my favorites, with SoTN taking the top spot.

Pb on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can we start discussing where one can get these awesome Castlevania games? All possible consoles they can be played on, rarity, etc, thanks. I'd like to play the better ones too 'cause I'v only played the GBA and DS ones.

By the way, I picked the Castlevania game on the PS2 up. I'm getting a little picker with the games I play, but what are the good points about the game?

EDIT: I could just check out reviews, but I only seem to get solid, unbiased and well thought out 'reviews' from you guys.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simon's Quest, Aria of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night. In that order.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    We_Be_1337We_Be_1337 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I finally caved into curiosity and tried one. (Curse of Darkness) and despite a whacky and sometimes nonsensical storyline. ("Oh Hi! I'm a time-traveler, but ssh! Your not supposed to know that!") I had a good time with it. Could someone suggest another one for me? Perferably over the Playstation-2-3 systems?

We_Be_1337 on
    Sunset.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    From what I've seen Symphony of the night is by far the most enjoyable for a person who is completely new to Castlevania.

The older NES ones are definately classic but revolve around fiendish level design that can result in fits of rage and the removal of hair from one's own cranium. The newer GBA/DS ones have certain aspects that many players (although not myself personally) find annoying like soul or card collecting. Symphony of the Night is pretty much just great level design with a great soundtrack that is backed up by solid gameplay and as a result is just plain a delight to play.

*Edit* Forgot the PS2 3D games. They're enjoyable but they didn't really feel like Castlevania to me. If you can find them for cheap though (especially CoD) I'd reccomend picking them up as they are pretty fun.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't know where to find it, but I second the vote for Bloodlines. It's absolutely amazing. Castlevania 3 for the NES is also amazing - albeit a bit hard to find as well. Estarland.com has Castlevania 3 in stock, but it's like $18. You can do better on Ebay for a copy I'm sure - but their stuff is guaranteed to be in good shape. I'd suggest find some local flea markets, there are always some classic game dealers at them.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Castlevania III for the NES is made a pure win and gold. I like the SOTN style games like Aria and Dawn, but for me, it doesn't get any better than the level-based gameplay of III.

Dirty on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I third Bloodlines, that game rocks. Also have to agree with everyones Symphony of the Night recommendations, that one is also a blast.

I haven't played the DS ones but I just got them for 11 bucks each off eBay (no joke, 11 bucks for both Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin -- I'm psyched). So I'm glad to hear that everyone likes them.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simon's quest I need to put another vote in, but it hasn't aged well. It gets points for originality, however.

I am also a fan of the game boy Castlevania games. Yes.. the original Game Boy.

And Castlevania 64/Legacy of Darkness. =P

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Also, get Circle of the Moon for the GBA. It's harder than DoS and PoR,, and has (IMO) better castle design. Everyone seems to hate or at least forget about it for some reason, but I've always loved it.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania I, Castlevania III are my favorites, in that order. 3 of my favorite games ever.

Rondo Of Blood is another super great one, but unless you want to go all dubious on this one you will either have to shell major $$$ [$150-200] for the PC Engine version, or be patient for the PSP port sometime in the misty future. or settle for the bastardized SNES version Dracula X.

and Symphony Of The Night is totally classic, if you want to play Metroid in a castle. personally i prefer the gangster platforming of the older games but i think im in the minority on that one. if you are getting into the series through the DS games this is probably going to be the most familiar one.

every time a new Castlevania game is announced i pray that they will whip up a true sequel to the old school platformers, but konami seems pretty devoted to milking the Metroivania style into the ground. i still hold on to my dreams though.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chalk me up as a fan of Castlevania III (NES) and Super Castlevania IV (SNES) above all others.

I know the SNES Castlevania is available on Wii virtual console, and I'm sure that Castlevania III will be available there eventually.

Captain K on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Don't know where to find it, but I second the vote for Bloodlines.

Gametap has Castlevania 1, 2, 3 and Bloodlines.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dirty wrote: »
    Castlevania III for the NES is made of pure win and gold.

I also like Simon's Quest, but please note that there're certain puzzles which're absolutely indecipherable without help of a walkthrough.
    Kneel for 10 seconds near the cliff with the Red Crystal equipped, uh huh...

Synonymous on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Simon's Quest (NES, PC)
    Circle of the Moon (GBA)
    Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
    Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

Harmony of Dissonance is, admittedly, weak. But it's still worth your time. It's not wholly meritless.

And I almost prefer Circle of the Moon's tarot system to Aria of Sorrow.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Synonymous wrote: »

I also like Simon's Quest, but please note that there're certain puzzles which're absolutely indecipherable without help of a walkthrough.

yea, in retrospect i have no idea how i beat this game as a youngin. it was definitely a highlight of my NES years, but i would hesitate to recommend it to Castlevania neophytes. its more of an acquired taste i think.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have never beaten Simon's Quest without password abuse. It's been a long time ago since I played it, but nonetheless it holds a special place in my heart. Simon's Quest is like my Zelda I or Metroid I. Yeah, yeah, it's nostalgia.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's fucking hard, yeah, which isn't a reason to not recommend it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CorsairCorsair Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Excellent, thanks for all the recommendations.

Corsair on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Castlevania is definitely a series where it can be hard to go back and play the older games. Aria of Sorrow definitely stands up to time, and so does Symphony of the Night. Other than that, I'd say Simon's Quest really isn't worth it unless you have retro-love from playing it as a kid. That era of Castlevania controls were more than a bit of a bitch to get into.

I wish I could remember how I figured out the red crystal trick back in the day, but somewhere in that game is a clue that you need to do it. Its not totally impossible, its just hard like games used to be hard (and really should still be hard but aren't)

I noticed that Portrait of Ruin is now a $20 game at Real Canadian Superstore, for those that have missed it in the past.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can we start discussing where one can get these awesome Castlevania games? All possible consoles they can be played on, rarity, etc, thanks. I'd like to play the better ones too 'cause I'v only played the GBA and DS ones.

By the way, I picked the Castlevania game on the PS2 up. I'm getting a little picker with the games I play, but what are the good points about the game?

EDIT: I could just check out reviews, but I only seem to get solid, unbiased and well thought out 'reviews' from you guys.

There are two PS2 Castlevania games. Which one do you have?

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Castlevania is definitely a series where it can be hard to go back and play the older games. Aria of Sorrow definitely stands up to time, and so does Symphony of the Night. Other than that, I'd say Simon's Quest really isn't worth it unless you have retro-love from playing it as a kid. That era of Castlevania controls were more than a bit of a bitch to get into.

i wouldnt hesitate to recommend I, III and IV at all. as long as whoever im reccing them to has an appreciation for old school platforming of the Ghost N Goblins school (ie brutal, salt in the wounds difficulty level) :)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Lament of Innocence? Nothing really. Level design is extremely poor and uninspired, music is bland, cutscenes are corny and fighting is mostly dull hack' n slash. Only tolerable if you are huge fan of the series.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'd say that III and IV are not only great Castlevania games, but that they're among the best 2D platformers ever made.

Especially IV--it's just incredibly polished and a complete joy to replay again and again.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    apotheos wrote: »

i wouldnt hesitate to recommend I, III and IV at all. as long as whoever im reccing them to has an appreciation for old school platforming of the Ghost N Goblins school (ie brutal, salt in the wounds difficulty level) :)

For the record, the Ghosts N Goblins games are all harder than Castlevania and Castlevania III. Both of those games hold up nearly as well as Castlevania 4, though the original lacks a save function and will squeeze your balls once or twice before you're through with it.

And even though there's alot of love for III and all the branching level business, 4's levels are alot better, and the difficulty is more balanced. That and the fact that the music rocks.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I am ashamed to admit I've never beaten the original Castlevania.

For some reason I just can't beat Dracula. I've gotten to him a zillion times, and one evening a couple of years ago I even went to a friend's house (for emotional support) with the express purpose of beating the fucking game. I must have fought him 75 times in a row before I finally gave up. I was so frustrated I haven't yet been able to play the game again.

Eventually I'll finish it, once the scars heal.

Captain K on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.amazon.com/Konami-Collectors-Series/dp/B00006969T/ref=sr_1_20/102-6425712-3825700?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1174255290&sr=1-20

This is a good choice. There's even a quick save feature which is vital to beating Death in the first Castlevania.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Synonymous wrote: »

yea, in retrospect i have no idea how i beat this game as a youngin. it was definitely a highlight of my NES years, but i would hesitate to recommend it to Castlevania neophytes. its more of an acquired taste i think.

Simon's Quest has the distinction of being the first game I ever beat as a kid. I did it basically on my own with some help from the Nintendo Hint Line (remember that) but not much since my parents didn't like the long distance phone calls.

As an aside, I got an NES when they were first released in the USA. I was Elementary School Age and I remember that there were two games that I really, really wanted to play but could never find. My parents and I searched so long and hard for them we finally gave up. Those games were Castlevania 1 and Kid Icarus.

Flash forward to two months ago when I visit my girlfriend's parents for the first time. While there we decide to get out her old NES system and low and behold, she had both games. It's a given that the system and the games came home with us. She also had the first TMNT, Battletoads, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and a couple of other rare-ish games. Most were her brother's but still...I hit a goldmine.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    This is a good choice. There's even a quick save feature which is vital to beating Death in the first Castlevania.

Vital? Death in first game is extremely easy. When Death drops from the ceiling, you just throw holy water beneath him, before he starts to move. After six bottles, Death is dead. Of course, you need triple launcher for this to work. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    For the record, the Ghosts N Goblins games are all harder than Castlevania and Castlevania III.

GNG and its sequels were pretty much the pinnacle of fucking sadistic difficulty as far as im concerned, just trying to get in the same ballpark yknow. Castlevania I has some tough bits in it, in particular.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I a horrible person for thinking Lament of Innocence was cool?

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    elkatas wrote: »

Vital? Death in first game is extremely easy. When Death drops from the ceiling, you just throw holy water beneath him, before he starts to move. After six bottles, Death is dead. Of course, you need triple launcher for this to work. :)

Pffft, let's say you didn't have a sub weapon. Can you beat Death then? Probably not without quicksave. :)

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Can you beat Death then? Probably not without quicksave. :)

Actually yes. But Death in Castlevania III is really problematic if you don't have Sypha with that blue ball thingie. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    There are a lot of bits in Castlevania 3 that are "really problematic" no matter who your partner is, and they're all in the castle.

The difficulty in that game ramps up absurdly once you get to the latter stages.

Captain K on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you want to get into some of the level-based games, I'd say start with 4. It's by far the most accessible, and an excellent game to boot.

Food on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    I am ashamed to admit I've never beaten the original Castlevania.

For some reason I just can't beat Dracula. I've gotten to him a zillion times, and one evening a couple of years ago I even went to a friend's house (for emotional support) with the express purpose of beating the fucking game. I must have fought him 75 times in a row before I finally gave up. I was so frustrated I haven't yet been able to play the game again.

Eventually I'll finish it, once the scars heal.

Do it man. It's not hard, which I know, is a limp thing to say under the circumstances, but seriously, Dracula can be one of the easiest bosses in the game with a little delicacy.

Keep the holy water. Hang onto it for dear life. You need it for part II of the fight. Part I? Easy. Leap towards him as he appears and you'll clear his fireball entirely, putting you in the perfect position to strike him in the head. Repeat, and you won't lose a single block of life.

In form II, just spam the hell out of him with the holy water. Pin him in place and he's yours.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I know it's not hard.

I don't know what's wrong with me. It's some kind of learning disability.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll definitely second/third/whatever Circle of the Moon. It's a solid game in the metroidvania series, and I really liked its Card system and its slightly higher difficultly level than the other GBA/DS castlevanias. Not the soul collecting stuff in AoS and DoS was bad, but it's just a personal preference I guess. And whoever said it had better castle design, I definitely agree. It's a great game all around.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie