As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Best way to sell things online?

Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
So, my grandma wants to help her sell a bunch of things, some of which are theoretically worth some money. Mostly gourd sculptures, some other art, and some china I think. Old lady stuff. I don't have any experience selling on any site, so I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about this. Ebay? Etsy? Craigslist? Something else? Old fashioned consignment shop? Any general tips for selling stuff online would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Selling anything works best when you remove the "theoretical" part. What is it about these items that make them unique or valuable?

The way to get started on any kind of selling is to evaluate fully what it is you're trying to sell, getting as much information as you can. Then, you try to find out what the market is for those kinds of items. If the most information you can get is "large" and "made from gourds," then your search -- as well as any potential listing you'd have -- would be for "large gourd sculptures." Same thing with the other elements -- "some china" tells a potential buyer nothing about it, other than the pictures, and there's little reason for someone to believe that a listing that lacks any real description is going to be better than something they'd find at Goodwill.

So, the first step is to do some research into what she has, and then second step is to do some searching online on those stores to see what the general market is for those items. If you can't find any sort of market, then it may be worthless and your best bet is to do something local to just get rid of it. If she insists it's worth money, try to figure out why she believes so.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    In addition to your own research, consignment shops are a good bet because there's a good chance they've seen it before. For this reason, it's probably your fastest option. And if it's valuable, it's in their best interest to let you know and try to get a nice profit from the item, as they usually take a percentage cut of the profits. But some consignment shops deal more in volume than quality, so if they low ball you too dramatically based upon your research, don't be afraid to try to sell it yourself online.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I know for the china at least, there are websites dedicated to cataloging old sets. There's a pretty good chance that if you search for the label/markings on the china you can find the original model/maker, and get a good idea of how much it costs to get it now. What these websites are called I have no idea, but my mom has looked up china this way before.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible