As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, December 5, 2012 - Inverse Traditionality

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Staring into the abyss.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    The 10^10.000 wolf spleen stare.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Hell is repetition.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    More like 10^e13 boar tusks. Fucking boar tusks man.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Comedy RefluxComedy Reflux Web creator FlandersRegistered User regular
    I only do it for six months at a time. I was there when vanilla hit, quit and came back when Burning crusade hit, rinse repeat for Cataclysm. (skipped Icelord whimsical) And now there's a new expansion. It's about panda's, which seem very off, but I've got that itch, and there's only one way to scratch it. : /

Banner_2.jpg
    Back after a three year hiatus!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Why do pandas seem very off? They have been a part of Warcraft lore since Warcraft 3. We've had something like 12 years to get used to them.

And it isn't as though they're even new to WoW. Mention of Chen Stormstout dates back to classic WoW. There used to be a quest chain in the Barrens about Chen's lost stout.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Sometimes you don't kill wolves.

Sometimes you collect bear asses.

Other times?

Genocide.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Panda people are just strange, unlike say cow folk, or space goats or lycanthropes.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    jackal wrote: »
    Panda people are just strange, unlike say cow folk, or space goats or lycanthropes.

If you put a top hat on a Panda, does it become dapper?

This is the ultimate deciding factor in whether or not the new race can truly be accepted as part of the lore. If it can't look dapper, then the whole race should be jettisoned into space and never spoken of again.

• Options
    roflstomproflstomp Registered User regular
    Alliance quests felt like they were all about beating up 'encroaching animals'. Horde quests felt more like 'eff the Alliance'. Granted they have animal-killing quests too but I dunno, just a little trend I thought I saw after leveling all 10 classes to 85. >_<

I remember we used to complain about the stupid drop rates for like bear ears. It was so bad that Blizzard expressly forbade comic submissions about the drop rates (and "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED") because "we're sick of them." lol

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why do pandas seem very off? They have been a part of Warcraft lore since Warcraft 3. We've had something like 12 years to get used to them.

And it isn't as though they're even new to WoW. Mention of Chen Stormstout dates back to classic WoW. There used to be a quest chain in the Barrens about Chen's lost stout.

They've been mentioned, but not seen. If you didn't play WC3 you could write off the Chen reference as some obscure Dwarf or something. A lot of people's knowledge of the Warcraft universe is pretty much built out of WoW, less people played WC3 and even less played 1 or 2. Even WC3 played them off as a joke except for the optional character for that RPG-style Durotar campaign. Before this expansion they were sort of like Star Trek's psychic cat people - they were canon and you can point to them on screen and bring up their disturbingly detailed wiki page, but relegated to such an obscure set of appearances that even most fans would be excused for saying WTF when they show up in the novels from time to time.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I was actually pretty impressed with Mists of Pandaria's quest variety and originality. A lot of it was "go train in martial arts with this hidden master" "go water my crops and find my missing livestock" "help fight off this giant insect invasion" "help me brew some beer" all with fairly creative gameplay mechanics.

• Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    A perfect birthday comic. Though I must say I would never try and introduce my mother to WoW, or any video game for that matter.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

They weren't a part of "lore," they were a silly thing to do. There was no established history, there was no importance of presence. It was a silly, silly thing. It was fun.

And that's not to say silly things can't become more than silly one-offs.

My problem with MoP at face value is that Blizzard clearly feels some obligation to get a representation of every real-world culture into the Warcraft culture. And it's a silly goal. Azeroth, as a world, was very complete and fine without this. It starts to complicate the world when things like this get injected, but more importantly it begs the question, "Where are the boundaries?" Where does additions to the world stop, rather than elaborations on currently existing things or moving forward of events?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    My problem with MoP at face value is that Blizzard clearly feels some obligation to get a representation of every real-world culture into the Warcraft culture.

As if kung-fu panda bears are a meaningful representation of any culture anyway.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    My problem with MoP at face value is that Blizzard clearly feels some obligation to get a representation of every real-world culture into the Warcraft culture.

As if kung-fu panda bears are a meaningful representation of any culture anyway.

Well I didn't say "faithful." :P

But I mean the eastern tones are pretty in-your-face, even if it is stereotypical.

• Options
    The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    And yet my friends question why I don't like to play MMOs.

76561198004630058.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    China makes up a giant portion of the overall worldwide playerbase for WoW. It isn't surprising at all that Blizzard dedicated an expansion to faux Chinese culture, architecture, and motifs.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    This almost made me laugh, but the laughter was sucked away by the horrible vacuum of how close it is to the truth.

• Options
    Aurich wrote: »
    This almost made me laugh, but the laughter was sucked away by the horrible vacuum of how close it is to the truth.

The Skinner Box is pretty obvious in this expansion. Painfully obvious.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The Horde equivalent of Goldshire is Razor Hill.
    But that, as immortalized in a certain epic thread/interactive story, is a completely different kind of fucked up.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    9.5 years. But who's counting?

Oh wait, I am. *Crawls back into the Pedantcave*

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »

The Skinner Box is pretty obvious in World of Warcraft. Painfully obvious.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    I unsubbed this week. The comic is what pushed me to uninstall the client. Thank you for this public service message.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    China makes up a giant portion of the overall worldwide playerbase for WoW. It isn't surprising at all that Blizzard dedicated an expansion to faux Chinese culture, architecture, and motifs.

The big question is, do faux-Chinese culture, architecture, and motifs actually attract Chinese gamers?

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    "There will always be a place for us to be moist together" might be my favorite thing Tycho has ever written.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    WUAWUA Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Man, I've heard about enough out of panda apologists.

"They were in Warcraft 3!"

Yeah, one was. Briefly. As a joke.

"Well what about Taurens?"

Man if the Tauren were called Cowdarians and they came from Cowtopolis and were all Cowboys (except for a secretive hidden sect of Cowdarians called the Shado-Cows) I'd probably hate them too.

WUA on
  • Options
    "What about Taurens?" doesn't even seem like an apt comparison. The Tauren Chieftain was an Orc hero in War3 1.0. You also had two different Tauren units for the Orcs once TFT released. Taurens also showed up in the vanilla Orc campaign as well. Taurens were pretty integrated with the universe in War3.

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    Man Gabe's been pretty introspective these past three comics.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm playing on the free trial right now, after having not played for over a year. Just poking my head in and taking a look around.

I'm not going to resubscribe.

I MUST BE STRONG.

<resolve face>

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    I MUST BE STRONG.

<resolve face>

How do you feel about daily quests?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Quite apart from the realisation that I hate being reliant on others for my fun and the only thing WoW offers the solo player is the relentless grind of dailies, WoW's been stuck in a rut for ages. Each expansion brings new stuff and immediately forgets what happened before, which is why Cata had to happen in the first place.

Lore for all the races save the humans, orcs and occasionally undead has been at a standstill since vanilla, with the goblins and worgen forgotten in the same expansion they were introduced in. WLK brought my investment in the existing lore to an end and the new stuff doesn't interest me at all, which is why I stopped a few months into Cata and haven't picked up MoP.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular

Well, I don't like to brag, but I do have a rather impressive stout set of apparels adorning my temple of a body.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Quite apart from the realisation that I hate being reliant on others for my fun and the only thing WoW offers the solo player is the relentless grind of dailies

This, for me. Well, I do like playing with others, but WoW requires a block of uninterrupted time with others that I just can't manage, with me now being a parent. Playing through the game single player and exploring the world is fun, but the concept of Daily quests/ faction grind quests etc just never did it for me. I'm willing to level additional characters and do some of the quests I did before again- it's not really that much of a grind, even, because you're killing the same things with new abilities in potentially new ways. Doing the same quest(s) hundreds of times with the same character so you can get your mount/weapon/prestige/access to instances/whatever is too skinner-y for me. And from all accounts that stuff is becoming a bigger and bigger thing in the new expansions.

If the game was Free To Play I would probably log on, chat with some people and level some characters sometimes, but with the subscription model... yeah no.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's funny because it's true.

<3 this comic.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    This comic made me want to play more world of warcraft...

I would pretend to cry but I am actually freaking giddy at the thought.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    Ulti-Moose Ulti-Moose Registered User regular
    Wait a sec... That's not Mommy Gabriel! That's Mike Krahulik's mother!!! >=(

This is Mommy Gabriel -->GregYoungGabeMom.png

• Options
    encore114encore114 Registered User new member
    WUA wrote: »
    WUA wrote: »
    Man, I've heard about enough out of panda apologists.

"They were in Warcraft 3!"

Yeah, one was. Briefly. As a joke.

"Well what about Taurens?"

Man if the Tauren were called Cowdarians and they came from Cowtopolis and were all Cowboys (except for a secretive hidden sect of Cowdarians called the Shado-Cows) I'd probably hate them too.

So basically, what you're saying is that you never played the Orc Campaign in WC3: The Frozen Throne, where that "one" that appeared "briefly, as a joke" helped found the Horde capital city.

• Options
    Gabe's mom has Trench...ears?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    Quite apart from the realisation that I hate being reliant on others for my fun and the only thing WoW offers the solo player is the relentless grind of dailies

This, for me. Well, I do like playing with others, but WoW requires a block of uninterrupted time with others that I just can't manage, with me now being a parent. Playing through the game single player and exploring the world is fun, but the concept of Daily quests/ faction grind quests etc just never did it for me. I'm willing to level additional characters and do some of the quests I did before again- it's not really that much of a grind, even, because you're killing the same things with new abilities in potentially new ways. Doing the same quest(s) hundreds of times with the same character so you can get your mount/weapon/prestige/access to instances/whatever is too skinner-y for me. And from all accounts that stuff is becoming a bigger and bigger thing in the new expansions.

If the game was Free To Play I would probably log on, chat with some people and level some characters sometimes, but with the subscription model... yeah no.

You might consider playing SWTOR, up to 50 at least. I had/have the same problem with WoW and most other MMOs, that they require grouping often and since I work odd hours getting together with regular groups is difficult to impossible. One of the first things that drew me to SWTOR is that I could complete all the content up to 50 with my companion character; there is some group content but it's easily skippable without missing on much.

Of course level 50 content is dailies + group content, but at that point you can just do what most people do and roll an alt to see a different storyline.

And it's FTP.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind