As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

1262728293032»

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I sort-of wish that the mud movers in this game were just AI-controlled creeps. It really, really sucks when either:

a) The matchmaker decides that what you need is a team comprised entirely of interceptors.

or

b) Your bombers just wander around the map and / or behave like wannabe fighters.

I suspect things will become more focused once tanks and planes are on the same maps. Players will be more motivated to actually bomb when there are other players to kill.

That said, a gameplay mode with NPC bomber fleets and player interceptors would be pretty neat.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    I sort-of wish that the mud movers in this game were just AI-controlled creeps. It really, really sucks when either:

a) The matchmaker decides that what you need is a team comprised entirely of interceptors.

or

b) Your bombers just wander around the map and / or behave like wannabe fighters.

I suspect things will become more focused once tanks and planes are on the same maps. Players will be more motivated to actually bomb when there are other players to kill.

That said, a gameplay mode with NPC bomber fleets and player interceptors would be pretty neat.

But that IS in the game

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know I'd they're uppiing the player count as they introduce the other modes of transport? Though to be fair it can already get pretty crowded up in the skies. So maybe less planes will be better.

Also that U.S instruction video was awesome in so many ways. I've already been employing most of the tactics there, but its good to hear them from an authoratative source.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that WT runs okay on my crappy lappy, because I'm definitely going to miss not playing over Christmas.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    My only real issue with the game is that the game mode and spawns seem set up to not really encourage fighters to play the objective and just dog fight instead (which is fun, don't get me wrong).

So I'm interested to see what sort of situations we get with tanks involved.

Also I can't help but wonder if the new RP system is one of those 'technically better but feels worse' situations. I mean, technically I know have to get less matches played to get to the plane I want, but I can't help but feel that it was more enjoyable to have three times the grind dumping you into a whole tier rather than a third of the grind for just one plane.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    @ALBINO BUNNY BUNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:P

Ran into Albino just now; he (she?) skunked me with the rear gun on the Stuka, but then I dove-rammed like a champ (???) with a low value plane, which is totally a win in my book.

Had a toxic rager on my team, which I haven't has a lot of in this game so far. :|

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I was wondering why it was someone knew who OOSIKS were.

If you took out my Stuka you make me sad, because holy hell getting a decent match out of that thing is hard.

Also yeah, that guy was league of legends level of all chat rage.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    No, I took out whatever plane you had after the Stuka. :P

You skunked me hard with your rear gun.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So on one hand, lol Wikipedia but on the other this is a really well done article all about basic combat maneuvers that's worth a read by everyone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

It covers an assortment of maneuvers, pursuit angles, types of energy, etc. and all in a pretty easy to understand way (complete with pictures!).

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Also I can't help but wonder if the new RP system is one of those 'technically better but feels worse' situations. I mean, technically I know have to get less matches played to get to the plane I want, but I can't help but feel that it was more enjoyable to have three times the grind dumping you into a whole tier rather than a third of the grind for just one plane.

I can see it looking worse at the lower end where previously going up a tier meant you were unlocking half a dozen planes, regardless of whether or not you actually wanted half of those.

Coming from someone who was in the early-to-mid teens in all of the nations, where you started running into whole stretches of tiers with almost nothing to unlock, the RP system is pretty much a godsend.

edit: its also way better than what they originally had in mind, where you needed to get to the bottom of a planes' upgrade tree to be able to research the next plane in the line.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    I love how the British basically get Mustangs that are better than Mustangs but they're one to two tiers lower. The first Typhoon I got with the four Hispanos pissed me off because it behaved exactly like my three 51Ds but better in rate of climb and seemingly in pitch rate. Oh and it has four fucking 20mm cannons.

I wish they'd bring the Mustangs down to tier 3 or at least make up some horseshit paper variant of it for the US that has 20s. Six fifties are great at tier 2 on the Kittyhawk and Hellcat, but when you're going up against Doras and Shiden-Kais it is simply not enough firepower.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So on one hand, lol Wikipedia but on the other this is a really well done article all about basic combat maneuvers that's worth a read by everyone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_fighter_maneuvers

It covers an assortment of maneuvers, pursuit angles, types of energy, etc. and all in a pretty easy to understand way (complete with pictures!).

Displacement_roll_with_instruction_diagram.PNG

This. Learn it.

• Options
    I am about halfway through writing a new OP. The plan is to get the thread launched later today (Friday)!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

imklXDlxxU6FM.jpg

Either I'm actually getting good at a game, or the A6M3 and A6M2 are overpowered. Either way, once you get the hang of how to fight with Japanese planes, they can wreck face.

Suriko on
  • Options
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Is it me or is the video quality really poop, even on 1080?

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I like my XP-58. I think I have more fun flying my heavy fighters than just about anything else.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Red M3naceRed M3nace Registered User regular
    All this talk about ACM reminded me of the very helpful videos that were recommended to me.

These videos really changed they way I play. The way he does barrel rolls, that maneuver when done right can be very useful. He uses a joystick but you can pull off something similar by pitching up with the keyboard and then moving the mouse in a circle.

red-m3nace.png
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Looks great!

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013

imklXDlxxU6FM.jpg

Either I'm actually getting good at a game, or the A6M3 and A6M2 are overpowered. Either way, once you get the hang of how to fight with Japanese planes, they can wreck face.

I've been working on unlocking T2 for all nations, and next to Soviets I find the Brits a little OP. They turn very well, though perhaps not as well as the Japs, but they also dive and climb like mad and have plenty of firepower. I don't see any weaknesses in the Hurricanes or the Spitfires.

EDIT: Forgot the real point of the reply, and that was to jump on the Zero love train. Actually, all the Japanese fighters and heavy fighters. They're all very fun to fly, and extremely effective.

Red M3nace on
    red-m3nace.png
  • Options
    I'm really curious how they are going to do tiering with tanks. I'm assuming they are going to do it like they do aircraft, based on era. Finding early era tanks is going to be pretty lame. Most carried blisters of LMGs or a single HMG rather than a cannon. In the stream they said they aren't implementing MGs yet as they don't have much use. If we map the same eras to tiers as aircraft, everything from T2 onward will be okay but T1 might be interesting.

Maybe the eras aren't going to be 1-5 and may be something smaller like 1-3? Then the tiers of the aircraft will not necessarily match the tiers of the tanks. That might make tanks really vulnerable to light cannon (20mm) from the sky (example: early tanks against later aircraft).

Early on, the designation of light, medium/cruiser, or heavy didn't necessarily correspond to their armor protection and more to their battle field role (recon, protection/exploitation, and infantry support - respectively) so even medium and heavy tanks were pretty lightly armored (this changed quickly though as WWII dragged on).

For T1 (assuming 5 tiers) we might see these tanks:

USA : T1E2 (or E4), T5 Medium, T1 Medium, Marmon-Herrington CTL Series
    Germany : VK-31, PzKpfw I Ausf B, PzKpfw II Ausf B
    USSR : BT-5, BT-7, T-35, T-26B, T-26C, T-28
    UK : Cruiser MkI A9, Cruiser MkII A10
    Japan : Type 95 Ha-Go, Type 89 Chi-Ro, Type 97 Chi-Ha, Type 97 Te-Ke

I also see the Japanese armor really falling short in the higher tiers compared to their counterparts. I mean what does Japan have that's comparable to the IS-2?

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Red M3nace wrote: »

imklXDlxxU6FM.jpg

I've been working on unlocking T2 for all nations, and next to Soviets I find the Brits a little OP. They turn very well, though perhaps not as well as the Japs, but they also dive and climb like mad and have plenty of firepower. I don't see any weaknesses in the Hurricanes or the Spitfires.
    Its their armament.

While the .303s work well enough against T1 and T2 single-engined fighters, you end up having to rely on them much longer than they're viable.

Basically, note that your only two cannon-armed planes are the Beaufighter and Spit IIB (which is an optional variant on the tree), and then look at the other nations' T2 fighter lineups.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I may be mistaken, but the Hurricane is still partially made of canvas (tail, flaps, etc?) which makes them weak.

• Options
    Yeah, I noticed the lack of cannons, and thought that might be the Brit downside.

In my admittedly limited experience it didn't seem like that big a problem. I was able to take out bombers and heavy fighters just fine with the 8+ MGs. Maybe I was just getting lucky.

red-m3nace.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I'm really excited about the ground forces addition, mostly because some gameplay mechanics behind WoT are balls but also because I have a super rig now so I'm pretty ready for visual fidelity this is bringing to the table.

I hope it has a better player base though. A big issue with WoT is that most games you can't hurt 50% of the other team unless you're one of lucky jerks who got paired down. I was going up against Pershings and Tigers and IS tanks in a Marder II and even though I had a 75mm (huge for its tier) gun it sucked. Once in a blue moon I'd get a match with people close to my tier.

Joining a game and realizing you can't contribute anything is incredibly disheartening, so I hope that doesn't occur too much. Larger player bases means more players at all tiers.

Although it comes with the territory of tanks. At a certain point, you just need a bigger gun for that thicker armor. It just doesn't create the most fun gameplay.

• Options
    I'm really excited about the ground forces addition, mostly because some gameplay mechanics behind WoT are balls but also because I have a super rig now so I'm pretty ready for visual fidelity this is bringing to the table.

I hope it has a better player base though. A big issue with WoT is that most games you can't hurt 50% of the other team unless you're one of lucky jerks who got paired down. I was going up against Pershings and Tigers and IS tanks in a Marder II and even though I had a 75mm (huge for its tier) gun it sucked. Once in a blue moon I'd get a match with people close to my tier.

Joining a game and realizing you can't contribute anything is incredibly disheartening, so I hope that doesn't occur too much. Larger player bases means more players at all tiers.

Although it comes with the territory of tanks. At a certain point, you just need a bigger gun for that thicker armor. It just doesn't create the most fun gameplay.

Well with WoT, the damage model isn't as granular as the WT one seems to be. Their dev diary on damage models looks really cool and very detailed (much how WWIIOnline was) and it's hit point based.

Also from the video that Moon posted above, it looks like even though you can't kill, you can certainly damage and disable with smaller caliber guns. In the above example, Entak uses the 20mm from the Pz.II to track a tank he cannot seriously damage. A T34.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I've kinda gotten back into this game.
    How does one get an invite to play with fellow PAers?
    I'm still fairly new, and just playing T1 Arcade battles, but I've researched a couple of planes in T2. I realize you guys are all above that, but I'd still like to play with actual coordination and whatnot.

• Options
    You actually have to request an invite. Go to Menu - Squadrons - The magnifying glass - search for 161st and request invite

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I will do that once I get on this evening.
    IGN is bejamus, so expect a request from me.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Capsaicin wrote: »

Well with WoT, the damage model isn't as granular as the WT one seems to be. Their dev diary on damage models looks really cool and very detailed (much how WWIIOnline was) and it's hit point based.

Also from the video that Moon posted above, it looks like even though you can't kill, you can certainly damage and disable with smaller caliber guns. In the above example, Entak uses the 20mm from the Pz.II to track a tank he cannot seriously damage. A T34.

Hmm. I'll take it. Anything is an improvement. The addition of PvE tank battles in the future sound amazing.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Does anyone know I'd they're upping the player count as they introduce the other modes of transport? Though to be fair it can already get pretty crowded up in the skies. So maybe less planes will be better.

Also that U.S instruction video was awesome in so many ways. I've already been employing most of the tactics there, but its good to hear them from an authoritative source.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed that WT runs okay on my crappy lappy, because I'm definitely going to miss not playing over Christmas.

As I understand it, at least when I read about it many months ago, you'll be able to choose a tank or a plane during a match. You can respawn as either one They may have changed their minds on that though.

Speaking of combat maneuvers, Entak made a video awhile ago about a rather risky maneuver I like doing vs people with altitude advantage on me in AB or an alternative for headons. His is in Historical and is more involved, but the concept is the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctIpU47qPvk

He looks to pull up in front of them, which is fine for RB, but suicidal in AB (lead indicator telling people where to shoot and energy retention is nuts). I roll over and pull up under them.

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    I think with what they've said about the ground forces part of the game is that there will be Plane vs Plane with AI tanks(and ships), Tank vs Tank with no Planes, and a mixed mode with both Player controlled planes and tanks on both sides. They've also got Naval side coming at some point, we'll also get Ship to Ship(no planes), Ship to Ship with planes on both sides, and probably a full on invasion map with player controlled Ships, Planes, and Tanks fighting for an island(or at least I hope).

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Planes, Tanks and Ships all controlled by players is what I'm looking forward to.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    KHb06Hq.jpg

• Options
    0BF76C68115AA4497290EF7C2F4C94C6AC8650E4

At first the round not ending when it was only enemy AI left was annoying. Now, though...

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Campy wrote: »
    Does anyone know I'd they're upping the player count as Yhey introduce the other modes of transport? Though to be fair it can already get pretty crowded up in the skies. So maybe less planes will be better.

Also that U.S instruction video was awesome in so many ways. I've already been employing most of the tactics there, but its good to hear them from an authoritative source.

As I understand it, at least when I read about it many months ago, you'll be able to choose a tank or a plane during a match. You can respawn as either one They may have changed their minds on that though.

Speaking of combat maneuvers, Entak made a video awhile ago about a rather risky maneuver I like doing vs people with altitude advantage on me in AB or an alternative for headons. His is in Historical and is more involved, but the concept is the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctIpU47qPvk

He looks to pull up in front of them, which is fine for RB, but suicidal in AB (lead indicator telling people where to shoot and energy retention is nuts). I roll over and pull up under them.

It's like basically a Kulbit: WW2 Edition. Neat.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Just a note, the Ki-96 is currently 50% off. It's quite a delightful heavy fighter, outrunning most interceptors and packing three cannons which chew through other aircraft. Unfortunately the cockpit isn't modelled, which bugs me (seriously, shouldn't all aircraft at least have cockpits?). But oh well.

Plus it's just a little bit sexy.

iEqf86vjw00X6.jpg

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    Ra's Al PearceRa's Al Pearce "When im in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Zap Brannigan Registered User regular
    Hey, im relatively new to PA. I play a lot of War Thunder these days. Mostly RB Germany Planes and Tanks. I like playing with the PA guys in other games I own so I was wondering if there is a squadron of PA guys for War Thunder? If so drop me a message!