As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ManoSteel Trailer[Comic Book Movies]

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Social Entropy++
Quire.jpg
nightmarenny on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's an S alright.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    cool jpg

• Options
    Grr one sec

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    It's not loading for me

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    jpgs are the new standard for movie trailers. In the future there will be no moving pictures, just...STILL IMAGES.

• Options
    Fixed

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if i were a betting man, I'd say superman defeats the bad guy in this one

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if i were a betting man, I'd say superman defeats the bad guy in this one

$500 says kryptonite is involved somehow.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a darker grittier superman where superman must overcome his moonlight addiction to cow tipping

(its at night therefore he is weaker and tipping the cows is a good way to feel mortal)

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Genuinely surprised there was only one BWAH, at the end. There was "chorus over dramatic scenes" though.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    + a lot of slowmotion

B_R on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well,
    Jonathan Kent being turned into a cynical jerk sure ticks me off

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man what

Centi why are you spoilering a thing that is in the trailer this thread is about

also judging from other lines from other trailers, he ain't. He's just worried about Clark.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I see cynical but not really jerk

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man what

Centi why are you spoilering a thing that is in the trailer this thread is about

also judging from other lines from other trailers, he ain't. He's just worried about Clark.

I dunno!

but he literally tells Clark that maybe he should have let a bus full of his friends die

I mean, I get telling him to keep his identity secret

but that one line is like whoa dude, what the heck

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is this gonna be tied to that other superman movie that came out in the last few years or is it a reboot of the reboot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think it is less YEAH MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE

and more "Maybe? Fuck I have no idea this whole thing is terrible."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I hope young clark doesn't take up as much of the movie as it did the trailer, although I guess it wants to make sure people completely separate it from the last superman movie in their minds

but if the next batman movie spends half the film explaining how and why bruce wayne became batman I am going to be so sad, retelling the origin story with every reboot is awful

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Man what

I dunno!

but he literally tells Clark that maybe he should have let a bus full of his friends die

It shows nuanced morality if you think about it

He knew Clark would have survived regardless, so he's looking out for his kid first

We don't know how he replies to Clark, maybe he relents... It could be a great scene to establish the conflicting needs of secrecy vs helping

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    certain ideals, and the characters that represent them, become old, tired and irrelevant after a fashion

the superman that was raised by an all-caring pa kent might no longer fit current societal expectations

you gotta update an origin story, and every aspect related to it, in order for a character to stay relevant

otherwise you might as well be complaining he's no longer wearing the red underwear on the outside anymore

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    is this gonna be tied to that other superman movie that came out in the last few years or is it a reboot of the reboot

it's a reboot of the semi-boot, yeah

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    Man what

I dunno!

It shows nuanced morality if you think about it

He knew Clark would have survived regardless, so he's looking out for his kid first

We don't know how he replies to Clark, maybe he relents... It could be a great scene to establish the conflicting needs of secrecy vs helping

In the trailer Clark says "Should I have let them die?" and Paw says "Maybe"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I think there is a difference between Pa saying Maybe and Pa saying yes

Maybe means the dude is conflicted and wants to help his son as best he can but knows he shouldn't value Clark more than others' lives

Yes means the dude is a dick

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Returns wasn't really a reboot

It was still the Donner movieverse, just with different actors

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well it looks gorgeous

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    a father might become conflicted between caring about his son's life and the ostracization of his own family and between caring about other people's children

shocking

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Yeah it is a super pretty trailer

the shots of him walking in the arctic and then taking off were beautiful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    certain ideals, and the characters that represent them, become old, tired and irrelevant after a fashion

the superman that was raised by an all-caring pa kent might no longer fit current societal expectations

you gotta update an origin story, and every aspect related to it, in order for a character to stay relevant

otherwise you might as well be complaining he's no longer wearing the red underwear on the outside anymore

Superman hasn't endured for some 80 odd years because people are bored of him

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I have said this like four times now but I think the colors are too muted

Needs just slightly more saturation

• Options
    edited December 2012

Superman hasn't endured for some 80 odd years because people are bored of him

originally ma and pa kent were both dead when superman came to metropolis

things

get

updated

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

yeah but one of the major elements (in my view) of the character is that he was raised by good, kind, caring, salt-of-the-earth people to be that kind of person

if he raised by a guy who doesn't know whether it's better to save yourself or a whole busload of other people, he's not going to have that strength of conviction that Superman should have

Superman is a guy who jumps in and helps without thinking about himself

• Options

You know people do that all the time here, right?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Well it looks gorgeous

Could use some more color though

• Options

If they actually use retelling the pre-superman parts to impact the story in some way then it is fine I guess

but if the most important bit from the whole childhood portion is that line in the trailer about "Pa said the world wouldnt be ready and would reject me but what do you think" then that is something you could do in mini-scenes during the opening credits

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

Returns wasn't really a reboot

It was still the Donner movieverse, just with different actors

well yeah, but I call it a semi-boot because it was supposed to have happened right after Superman II, ignoring III and IV

• Options
    edited December 2012

yeah but one of the major elements (in my view) of the character is that he was raised by good, kind, caring, salt-of-the-earth people to be that kind of person

if he raised by a guy who doesn't know whether it's better to save yourself or a whole busload of other people, he's not going to have that strength of conviction that Superman should have

Superman is a guy who jumps in and helps without thinking about himself

I think this is the same thing with Bruce Wayne trying to kill the mob boss with a gun in Batman Begins

he isn't Batman yet

the character is not formed

so this'll be a Superman who's possibly raised to follow an ideal, even though his parents, being human and thus flawed, cannot

but he, being more than human, realizes he can, and should, and must

edit: possibly

the story could also be terrible, who knows yet

I'm just saying, singling this thing out doesn't mean SUPERMAN IS RUINED

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Man

you are saying Pa Kent is a huge cynical jerk based off of one line of him being conflicted over his son revealing he is basically a walking alien god and forever ostracizing him and his family and potentially ruining Clark's entire life or saving a bus full of kids in an accident that, presumably, wasn't Clark's fault.

It isn't like he said "Yes, you should have left them to die."

I don't mind Pa not having the 100% correct answer every single time. Sometimes shit is hard and it is difficult to know what the right thing to do is.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

You know people do that all the time here, right?

yup

and I think it's incredibly stupid

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Man

you are saying Pa Kent is a huge cynical jerk based off of one line of him being conflicted over his son revealing he is basically a walking alien god and forever ostracizing him and his family and potentially ruining Clark's entire life or saving a bus full of kids in an accident that, presumably, wasn't Clark's fault.

It isn't like he said "Yes, you should have left them to die."

I don't mind Pa not having the 100% correct answer every single time. Sometimes shit is hard and it is difficult to know what the right thing to do is.

It's hard, having an alien god for a son
    It's hard and nobody understands

• Options
    Yeah Indie don't get into a "underwear on the outside" argument

you can't win

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.