As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electric guitar 'pop' when touching strings

SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I bought my first electric guitar on the weekend, a lightly used yamaha pacifica 112. Sounds great, but whenever I touch the strings I hear a 'pop' noise from the amp. It happens no matter which pickups I use. Is this normal?

It isn't noticeable when playing, but I'd still like to know if something is faulty.

Suckafish on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    static?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It does sound like static, but if I lightly touch the string five times in a row it happens each time. Wouldn't the static discharge after the first touch ?

Suckafish on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bad grounding I'm guessing. Does the guitar muh when your not touching it, and stop when your fingers are on the strings?

Jeedan on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'd take it to wherever you got it from and get a new one, but first try another amp.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd take it to wherever you got it from and get a new one, but first try another amp.

It's not going to be the amp.

It'll be some electrical issue inside. Probably something that someone who knew what they were doing could tell within a few seconds of looking inside. It's not as if electric guitars are even remotely complex inside.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Bad grounding I'm guessing. Does the guitar muh when your not touching it, and stop when your fingers are on the strings?

I don't notice any noise when I'm not touching it, but will pay more attention when I get home tonight. Can you explain what you mean by bad grounding? I understand the concept of grounding an electical current, but don't see where it could come into play here.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You play under halogen lights at all?

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Nope, I was playing under a normal incandescent bulb. Actually, I don't think I had any lights on, as it was during the day.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Suckafish wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »

I don't notice any noise when I'm not touching it, but will pay more attention when I get home tonight. Can you explain what you mean by bad grounding? I understand the concept of grounding an electical current, but don't see where it could come into play here.

The electronics in a guitar have to be grounded like anything else. People have been electrocuted while playing in the rain due to improper grounding of thier guitars. An improper ground can lead to a buzz or popping sound while playing. It shouldn't be dangerous, (unless you play in the rain) but you might want to take it in to a repair shop. or if you know how to solder open it up yourself. As was stated earlier guitars are actually pretty simple inside.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It could be the wall outlet you are using. Some older homes / homes wired by shady or bad electricians don't actually have the ground going anywhere. I used to live in a place that had been 'upgraded' to 3 prong outlets, but they just took the old plates off and hooked up the new ones without changing any of the wiring. I'd give it a shot at someone else's place. Alternatively, you could get a ground tester from Home Depot / Walmart / Kent or wherever for a few dollars. It is a good thing to have around if you play a whole bunch of different places because you never know what oyu are plugging into.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mishra, I bought the guitar yesterday so now that I know this isn't normal I'll take it back and let them deal with it.

stigweard, my place is 5-6 years old, but I'll try another outlet to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the suggestion. Worst case I'll just bring the guitar in and see if we can repro in store.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I like to actually play an instrument before I buy it if possible. Of course since you are learning that's not possible, but I'd ask the sales person if you can hear it before you take it home. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive right?

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Mishra wrote: »
    Yeah, I like to actually play an instrument before I buy it if possible. Of course since you are learning that's not possible, but I'd ask the sales person if you can hear it before you take it home. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive right?

You shouldn't be buying expensive guitars except from shops where you can try it out. You shouldn't even be buying cheap ones like that.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I was playing around with a new one for 20 minutes or so, but being a beginner was mostly just making sure nothing obvious jumped out at me. When I moved on to the used one, rather than play it myself I had the guy that was helping me try it out. I didn't notice the pop then, but he just dove right in and played, so it is quite possible I missed it.

Suckafish on