As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Christmas Movies for people who don't like Christmas Movies

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
This time of year, there are a lot of people who want to watch something to fit the season, but most Christmas movies are schlocky, gimicky hot garbage. Let's discuss the merits and relative holiday-ness of various movies that fit the theme (or are at least tangentially related to) Christmas, New Years and the holiday season in general.

Up first, there's everyone's favorite Alternative Christmas Movie -- Die Hard.

gF3ZC.jpg

John McClane vs terrorists. Ho, ho, ho.

Fun fact: In German, this movie is known as The Hard.

Of course, there's always the sequel, as well.

mMqWy.jpg

Too bad this movie is awful. It's fun as shit, but it's really, really bad.

So let's get off of Die Hard and talk about other movies that fit the season.

Like these:

ym3o4.jpg

D0aFL.jpg

045yA.jpg

sXMKE.jpg

ejsmv.jpg

9pCGC.jpg

qVtCq.jpg

Q658N.jpg

What else ya got?

8406wWN.png

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    My favorite part of Die Hard 2 is the censored TV version where "asshole" got replaced with "rascal".

"I thought you were a rascal."

"I am, but I'm your kind of rascal."

mullyGoose!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    New_Year%27s_Eve_Poster.jpg

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    DMAC wrote: »
    My favorite part of Die Hard 2 is the censored TV version where "asshole" got replaced with "rascal".

"I thought you were a rascal."

"I am, but I'm your kind of rascal."

Yippie kye yay, Mister Falcon.

8406wWN.png
    histronicmullyTrippyJingOlivawGoose!Johnny Chopsocky
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Rare Exports

I made my roommate watch it for the first time last night, and gosh I had forgotten how good it is.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've heard about Rare Exports, but haven't seen it.

I'll add it to my list of movies to watch this weekend as I'm wrapping gifts and baking and stuff.

8406wWN.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I'm having trouble remembering the part of The Royal Tenenbaums related to Christmas
    There are Christmas presents in Rushmore

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've heard about Rare Exports, but haven't seen it.

I'll add it to my list of movies to watch this weekend as I'm wrapping gifts and baking and stuff.

It's on Netflix Instant

Also both of the short films that preceded it are on Vimeo, but I'd honestly recommend watching the movie first. It comes first chronologically, essentially.

edited December 2012
    BusterK wrote: »
    I'm having trouble remembering the part of The Royal Tenenbaums related to Christmas
    There are Christmas presents in Rushmore

Not exactly related to christmas as much as it is about family and getting back together and I seem to remember something about Christmas maybe? I dunno. It feels like it fits, to me.

The soundtrack for it that Mark Mothersbaugh did, though, is about as christmas-y as anything I've ever heard.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Well, yeah
    If you use the soundtrack to It's Christmas Charlie Brown
    You do get a Christmas feel

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    I have never seen Bad Santa

I didn't give it much attention at the time because, Billy Bob Thornton

But I hear it's actually good?

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Scrooged is the best

EvigilantskettiosGoose!chromdom
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    nightmare before christmas was on the tube last night

i can't believe how good that movie still looks

Qanamil
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I've heard In Bruges is like Seven Psychopaths so I'd probably like it, anyone know if it's on Netflix?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Zay wrote: »
    I've heard In Bruges is like Seven Psychopaths so I'd probably like it, anyone know if it's on Netflix?

I don't believe so, but I'll give you the same advice I tell everyone when I tell them about In Bruges

Go to Wal-Mart and it's like $8 for the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack

And it's likely the best $8 you'll spend on a movie in a long time

A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    hatred for tim burton (see also: teenagers) aside, nightmare before xmas is still a super charming flick

skettios
    Speaking of The Nightmare Before Christmas, it is currently streaming on Netflix

Disney just added a bunch of shit

BusterK
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    In Bruges is DVD only on Netflix right now.

Where's the love for Jingle All the Way? Oh, right.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Joyeux Noel is a movie about the Christmas Truce during WWI.

It's pretty alright, I guess.

Squall wrote: »
    hatred for tim burton (see also: teenagers) aside, nightmare before xmas is still a super charming flick

Justify it this way: Tim Burton didn't actually direct it

Just Friends is one of the very few romcoms I legitimately enjoy, and it is set during Christmas, so I suppose that could qualify.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I don't really like Christmas movies or alternative Christmas movies

which is a shame since I do like Christmas

I am also a terrible person who thinks Die Hard is decent sure, quotable even, but not that great

Solar on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Trading Places is sort of a holiday movie and is rad and I recently watched it.

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Batman Returns

AneurhythmiahistronicGoose!BusterK
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Last Christmas I watched Captain America on DVD and it is a pretty fantastic movie

has snow in it as well!

Does that count?

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Maybe Serendipity? It's kinda Christmasy, but more so romancey.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    The Ref with Denis Leary is alright.

AneurhythmiaWuShockskettiosA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Love Actually!

it is not really alternate to anything, as it's a modern feel-mostly-good Christmas romcom

but it is the best of that specific genre

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    eddizherechromdom
    The Ref, Batman Returns and Trading Places are all movies I am angry at myself for forgetting to add to the original post.

I may have to remedy that shortly. Those are great movies.

8406wWN.png
    WuShock
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Speaking of The Nightmare Before Christmas, it is currently streaming on Netflix

Disney just added a bunch of shit
    And it's in HD.

I think animation gains more from HD than live-action.

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I like Pieces of April although it's a thanksgiving movie not a Christmas movie.

• monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    It's more New Years-related than Christmas, but The Hudsucker Proxy is a great film.

8406wWN.png
    monsterror
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I have a ton of tv shows on dvd, so I tend to watch some of their Christmas episodes during this time of year in addition to movies:

*Batman the Animated Series: "Christmas with the Joker" & "Holiday Knights"
    *Buffy: "Amends"
    *Farscape: "Terra Firma" (usually the episodes leading up to it too, because Farscape it awesome)
    *Futurama: Various
    *Garfield: Christmas Special
    *Justice League: Comfort & Joy (Flash's segment is best, followed by Superman & Martian Manhunter)
    *Lost: The Constant (the other episodes around it also take place on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but this is the most awesome of the bunch)
    *Psych: Can't remember episode title
    *Quantum Leap: A Little Miracle
    *Roswell: A Roswell Christmas Carol
    *Simpsons: Various
    *Venture Bros.: Christmas Special
    *X-Files: Can't remember episode title
    *X-men the Animated Series: That one with the Jubilee and the Morlocks

Also Ghostbusters 2 starts around Christmas and ends with New Year's doesn't it?

Also Toy Story.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Usagi wrote: »

Fuck yes, that movie is insane.

BLM - ACAB
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Every Shane Black movie is a Christmas movie

Straightzi
    Also, Chris Sims did a great breakdown of exactly how much of a Christmas movie Die Hard is over on Comics Alliance.

Definitely worth a read.

(He also gives brief explanations for Robocop being an Easter movie and Roadhouse a Thanksgiving one, which I appreciate)

This seems appropriate for this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4FswrMCuNA

8406wWN.png
    monsterrorStraightziFutoreLegba
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Lethal Weapon.

It opens with a drug bust in a Christmas tree lot.

WuShock