As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The front forks of my kid's new bicycle are odd, and I'm not sure why (Xmas trouble!)

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
My kid's first bicycle came in the post, and I'm sorting it out to give to her tomorrow morning, but the front forks are weirdly stiff/jerky. They don't make a noise or anything obvious like that, but they don't turn smoothly. They almost feel like they are graduated - like they are clicking between spaces.

Is this some kid's bike design innovation or just a problem? Will it go away with time or do I need to send it back to the manufacturer? I really don't want to send it back, since, y'know, it's her Xmas present.

Ta.

I figure I could take a bear.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Sounde like the headset needs adjustment. I'm not sure if something needs to be tightened, loosened, have parts replaced, or disassembled and have bearings repacked since I've never had to work on a headset.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    post a picture, it's easier to ask particular questions if we can see if there's something wrong.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It sounds like the headset is done up too tight. It seems like they have been done up too tight by some schmuck at the factory, and the bearings have marred the races. Not to fear, adjust them so they run as smoothly as you can with no slop. Then get to the bike shop as soon as you can and get some replacement headset bearings and races - they're a couple of bucks, max.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I think the others are spot on and all I want to add is a link to some instruction videos: bicycletutor.com/part/headset/

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Thanks for all your help. I decided the bearings were probably smushed, and had the bicycle replaced by the shop.

I now know more about headsets too!

Ta again.

I figure I could take a bear.