As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, December 28th, 2012 - Playing Roles

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
i-4LFFK5R-X3.jpg

YL9WnCY.png

• Options
    SejarkiSejarki Registered User regular
    Currently trying to figure out which of us within my group of friends is going to get the privilege of purchasing the Edge of the Empire beginner game.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Face vase Gabe. A rare occasion.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah... Gabe is Single-handedly making me want to pick up Edge of the Empire.

I remember when it was like pulling teeth for Tycho to even get Gabe to sit down at a table.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I purchased Edge of the Empire from Amazon on Wednesday when his original post about it went up.

I've got Prime and theoretically have two day shipping. I'm expecting it when I get home from work.

Edit: ARGH! Just checked my order status. It isn't even scheduled to ship until January 13. NOOOOOOOO!

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love panel 2 Gabe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    I love the Gabe-as-DM comics, because they always remind me of how he used to be portrayed, in the Before Time.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Is it just me or do a lot of PA comics lately seem to be missing...a joke? Like, they seem to be anecdotes about whatever Mike and Jerry are interested in at the time but are mostly lacking any sort of punchline.

• Options
    L0tharL0thar Registered User new member
    edited December 2012
    Because of this, I had to go pick up the Beginner Game.
    Because I picked up the Beginner Game, I had to learn After Effects.
    Because I learned After Effects, I made this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUKpmtB5WUg

Stop inspiring me!!!!

L0thar on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Is it just me or do a lot of PA comics lately seem to be missing...a joke? Like, they seem to be anecdotes about whatever Mike and Jerry are interested in at the time but are mostly lacking any sort of punchline.

In this particular comic, it's a two panel joke - followed by a one panel consideration of the circumstances.

"You must be the maintenance crew I don't remember hiring" is a pretty funny line. Gabe is roleplaying a shrewd trandoshan businessman and he has caught on to the fairly ridiculous plan of the adventuring party.

Panel three is a meta-panel and exists in a realm both inside the comic as well as out. It isn't part of the joke. It exists to let us know just how awesome Mike thinks this new game is, and how far he has come in his relationship with tabletop gaming.

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    mEEksa wrote: »

In this particular comic, it's a two panel joke - followed by a one panel consideration of the circumstances.

"You must be the maintenance crew I don't remember hiring" is a pretty funny line. Gabe is roleplaying a shrewd trandoshan businessman and he has caught on to the fairly ridiculous plan of the adventuring party.

Panel three is a meta-panel and exists in a realm both inside the comic as well as out. It isn't part of the joke. It exists to let us know just how awesome Mike thinks this new game is, and how far he has come in his relationship with tabletop gaming.

It's a funny line, sure, but it's not really a joke. It's just Gabe playing the role of a good/entertaining DM. That, in and of itself, isn't enough to make me laugh. It seems like its setting up for something but then the last panel just drops the ball. It's personal opinion, of course, but I feel like the first two panels aren't funny enough to let the third panel get away with something other than a punchline.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wow, this comic is super nerdy like whoa!

EDIT: That's not an insult FYI, i'm just all gee whiz man

Godfather on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    Wow, this comic is super nerdy like whoa!

EDIT: That's not an insult FYI, i'm just all gee whiz man

So were these not the comics you were looking for?

• Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    Bazinga!

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    The news post nailed it for me with the comment about knowing what is possible in make-believe settings. When I started learning to roleplay, I'd often ask the DM what to do, and he'd tell me, "Anything." So then I'd say, Ok, what can I do? "Anything." All right, I do [X]. "You can't do [X] because..."

Argh.

• Options
    Echo2OmegaEcho2Omega Registered User regular
    Since you managed to mention this RPG not 1 time, but 2 times AND make a comic about it I snagged a copy.
    Due to demand I expect to see my copy sometime near the end of February....
    [Insert wookie cry of rage here]

On a lighter note I managed to pick up the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying game (by margaret weis productions).
    I must admit, I am starting to really like how it plays.