As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comedy Bang Bang! My Brother, My Brother and Me! Other Good Podcasts!

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
Podcasts are pretty great, guys.

Whether you listen to them while surfing the internet, or on a bus ride, or on the drive home, listening to a bunch of people talk about funny/interesting things is one of my favorite ways to pass the time.

Here are some good ones!

31483.jpg
Comedy Bang Bang!

Comedy Bang Bang is a weekly show hosted by Scott "The Choctaw" Aukerman, a former writer for Mr. Show, Moral Orel and co-creator of Between Two Ferns, CBB is a show about comedy, by comedians. The typical format has Aukerman, a celebrity guest and another celebrity doing a ridiculous character leading to constant improv bits. Recurring characters include the psychic Cake Boss, Bill Carter: Trainer to the Stars; Seeking Stars and Jesse "The Mind" Ventura.

Good episodes to start with:
The 2012 Holiday Spectacular!
Out of Bleeps, with Amy Poelher and Jason Mantzoukas.
New No-Nos with THE WOMP and Paul Rust.
The Anniversary Party, with EVERYONE.
Time Bobby, with Lord Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber and a wretched street urchin.

There are almost 200 episodes at this point, and a ton of them are really great so if you see someone you like take a listen!

There is also a TV show but it is somewhat hit or miss.

newmbmbam.jpg
My Brother, My Brother and Me!

Another weekly show, starring brothers Justin, Travis and Lil' Griffin McElroy. It is an advice show for the modern era, with the brothers three taking questions from Twitter, Yahoo Answers and other horrible places and giving some heartfelt "advice".

Good episodes to start with:
Blast My Cache, wherein the Brothers tackle the countless questions involving GHOSTS.
Drop The Beat, Francis wherein the Brothers address the grim future of Dubstep.
The Garfield Monstrosity, wherein the Brothers create the worst thing in the world ever good god.
I Hate You, Ron, wherein the brothers hate Ron. What an asshole.
Fresh Out of Aardvarks, wherein the brothers open a somewhat flawed business.

There is also the Giant Bombcast, which is probably the best video game podcast on the internet, but we have a whole thread for those jerks.

BestShow.gif

The Best Show on WFMU, a radio show on public free-form New Jersey station WFMU, which has been running for over 12 years, adding up to 1500 hours worth of mirth, music, and mayhem. Host Tom Scharpling takes calls from listeners, to either discuss topics with them or berate them for being so boring. Occasionally, musician Jon Wurster calls in as one of his hundreds of characters to flesh out the fictional town of Newbridge, New Jersey.

Beginner's Episodes:
August 14, 2012: A night of legends! Comedian ANDY KINDLER calls to talk to Tom, but gets hijacked by Gary the Squirrel for an episode of ‘Comedians are Nuts!’ Stephen in Chicago finally engineers a call from his boss, STEVE ALBINI! Plus, is this the last Best Show?
June 19, 2012: It’s ‘Talk over Tom’ night! Tom sounds off on Soundgarden, spoonmen & Adam Carolla. Philly Boy Roy breaks some big political news! Topics: phony retirements & most annoying companions on a trip to Mars. Plus, Vance seeks a band to produce his epic!
April 3, 2012: Rockstar TED LEO talks CBGB! Trump shills for walking! Local legend Gus Brennan of the Newbridge Ratmen checks in! Then his teammate Tim Reddick calls with some shocking truths! Kevin Smith comes to Broadway! And Gene Simmons endorses Mitt Romney!
December 14, 2010: It’s the 2010 Best Show Holiday Party! Tom is joined in the studio by JOHN HODGMAN, JOHN RODERICK, many other friends, and all the Four Loko they can drink! Mike dances! Tom giggles! AIMEE MANN calls in! So does 80s Rick! Happy Holidays to all!
November 30, 2010: A Bruce Springsteen biographer calls in and reveals many shocking secrets about the Boss! (Or does he?) TODD BARRY calls while walking down the street! A 93 year old man offers much wisdom, and Tom regrets watching a film that Mike recommended!

artworks-000030776453-2iz07o-original.jpg?8e879e6

The Flop House, a podcast that appears every two weeks where your hosts, Daily Show writers Dan McCoy, Elliot Kalan, and local ragamuffin Stuart Wellington recap and then discuss a modern bad movie. Is it a good-bad movie, a bad-bad movie, or a movie they kinda liked? It will take a while before you reach that point, because they will most assuredly get sidetracked by a word that sounds like another word, or an appearance by the elusive Flop House Housecat.

Beginner's Episodes:
Atlas Shrugged
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
Bratz
Good Luck Chuck
Wild Hogs

Annnd those are actually the only two ones I actively listen to, so hey recommend me some amazing podcasts!

CYpGAPn.png
BlankZoe on

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hey if you make a thing like I did for CBB and MBMBaM I'll add it to the OP

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Yes Blank, listen to the DLM where PFT is the only guest and competes as Cake Boss, Ice-T, and himself

it is awe-inspiring

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

Is it weird that I think Doug is the worst part of Doug Loves Movies?

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yes the bombcast is so good but yes they have their own thread already

I'm putting the first two episodes of comedy bang bang on my mp3 player right now

• Options
    "Out of Bleeps" is so good. In no small part because my last roommate was a DEVOTED Leykis listener, and James Adomian's impersonation is a brutal skewering of that monstrous dickweed.

"Condom Jungle! For when you know you're going so deep into pussy, there's no way you're coming out civilized." - Basically a perfect joke.

• Options
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

I dunno about the worst part, but I certainly don't listen to it mainly for Doug. That is a podcast that I look at who the guests are before I download an episode.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I AM LISTENING TO MBMBAM RIGHT. NOW.

how did you know

• Options

I'm putting the first two episodes of comedy bang bang on my mp3 player right now
    Wait like the first two episodes as chronologically?

Cause don't do that, the show took a little while to find its' footing.

If you mean the two I recommended then yes good work

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

I dunno about the worst part, but I certainly don't listen to it mainly for Doug. That is a podcast that I look at who the guests are before I download an episode.

Yeah, it's entirely dependent on the chemistry of the guests and the lack of TJ Miller

Doug is pretty much a non factor

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Everyone needs to also listen to Throwing Shade. It's awesome.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    as much as I love PFT's stable of regulars, I think Melissa Wompler might be my favorite single recurring guest character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    "Out of Bleeps" is so good. In no small part because my last roommate was a DEVOTED Leykis listener, and James Adomian's impersonation is a brutal skewering of that monstrous dickweed.

"Condom Jungle! For when you know you're going so deep into pussy, there's no way you're coming out civilized." - Basically a perfect joke.
    I tried to show a friend Out of Bleeps but she tuned out during the 12 NIGHTS OF EMMYS bit which is understandable but a shame

cause yeah Leykis and Poehler were fucking amazing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    my brother my brother and me is so good. still treasure the poop/how i met your mother conversation. I also love How Did This Get Made because Jason Mantzoukas is the best. And the /Film podcast only when they have good guests, like rian johnson, who is the best podcast guest. And the nerdist writers panel is awesome when they have great guests. the liz meriwether episode was the bee's knees.

I also listen to the bs report and some of the granltandnetwork podcasts, especially men in blazers. i don't even follow premiereship football that much, but those two guys are brilliant, michael "toilet" davies and roger "positive" bennett

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

Yeah, it's entirely dependent on the chemistry of the guests and the lack of TJ Miller

TJ can be fine as long as there is another alpha personality for him to butt heads with.

Also I am one of the people who think the Garlin/Holmes/Miller episode is a thing of beauty and wonder

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    One of my favorite CBB bits ever was when Harrison Wittles told his horrible joke: "I'm opening a Mexican, Irish, Jamaican small plate breakfast restaurant. It is called Tapas The Morning To Ja."

and Annie/St. Vincent just makes a noise like someone punched her in the stomach and Harrison loses it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I've had trouble really honing on on the perfect intro episode to CBB

you kinda just need to be exposed to several well-selected episodes to begin your appreciation of it

I subjected my gf to a sampler on the way back from a road trip, but I think she needs more exposure for it to totally click

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Kiss your dad square on the lips
    unless you're in a dick stew

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also the OP misspelled "modren".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    BestShow.gif

The Best Show on WFMU, a radio show on public free-form New Jersey station WFMU, which has been running for over 12 years, adding up to 1500 hours worth of mirth, music, and mayhem. Host Tom Scharpling takes calls from listeners, to either discuss topics with them or berate them for being so boring. Occasionally, musician Jon Wurster calls in as one of his hundreds of characters to flesh out the fictional town of Newbridge, New Jersey.

Beginner's Episodes:
    August 14, 2012: A night of legends! Comedian ANDY KINDLER calls to talk to Tom, but gets hijacked by Gary the Squirrel for an episode of ‘Comedians are Nuts!’ Stephen in Chicago finally engineers a call from his boss, STEVE ALBINI! Plus, is this the last Best Show?
    June 19, 2012: It’s ‘Talk over Tom’ night! Tom sounds off on Soundgarden, spoonmen & Adam Carolla. Philly Boy Roy breaks some big political news! Topics: phony retirements & most annoying companions on a trip to Mars. Plus, Vance seeks a band to produce his epic!
    April 3, 2012: Rockstar TED LEO talks CBGB! Trump shills for walking! Local legend Gus Brennan of the Newbridge Ratmen checks in! Then his teammate Tim Reddick calls with some shocking truths! Kevin Smith comes to Broadway! And Gene Simmons endorses Mitt Romney!
    December 14, 2010: It’s the 2010 Best Show Holiday Party! Tom is joined in the studio by JOHN HODGMAN, JOHN RODERICK, many other friends, and all the Four Loko they can drink! Mike dances! Tom giggles! AIMEE MANN calls in! So does 80s Rick! Happy Holidays to all!
    November 30, 2010: A Bruce Springsteen biographer calls in and reveals many shocking secrets about the Boss! (Or does he?) TODD BARRY calls while walking down the street! A 93 year old man offers much wisdom, and Tom regrets watching a film that Mike recommended!

artworks-000030776453-2iz07o-original.jpg?8e879e6

The Flop House, a podcast that appears every two weeks where your hosts, Daily Show writers Dan McCoy, Elliot Kalan, and local ragamuffin Stuart Wellington recap and then discuss a modern bad movie. Is it a good-bad movie, a bad-bad movie, or a movie they kinda liked? It will take a while before you reach that point, because they will most assuredly get sidetracked by a word that sounds like another word, or an appearance by the elusive Flop House Housecat.

Beginner's Episodes:
    Atlas Shrugged
    Beverly Hills Chihuahua
    Bratz
    Good Luck Chuck
    Wild Hogs

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Also the OP misspelled "modren".
    I really spent a minute debating over doing this

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the holiday best of episodes work pretty well for that.

The very first episode I ever listened to was the Andy Richter/Werner Herzog episode, and after I enjoyed that I went back and listened to the best of episode from the year before and I was hooked at that point pretty much.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Nooooooo, those are the worst two!

CBB doesn't start cookin' until Scott realized that characters made the best guests

• Options

The very first episode I ever listened to was the Andy Richter/Werner Herzog episode, and after I enjoyed that I went back and listened to the best of episode from the year before and I was hooked at that point pretty much.
    Yeah, I think Best Ofs or episodes like the Holiday Spectacular where it is just a bunch of funny people locked in a room together are the best for newbies.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Punchy McFistPunchy McFist Registered User regular
    I've been listening to The Reality Show Show on Earwolf, it's surprisingly great. I have no interest in reality TV in the slightest, but Hayes Davenport and Sean Clements have great chemistry. The bit a few weeks back about a contestant on The Voice refusing to sing anything besides Scotty Doesn't Know was fantastic.

• Options
    Okay I just subscribed to CBB but 1) there are 204 episodes and 2) iTunes inexplicably wants me to click each of them individually to download them instead of just going "download all of those"

so fuck it I have a bunch of other podcasts to listen to

sig.gif
  • Options
    Man I gave you a list of 5 good ones right there

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

The two episodes that got me fully on board were the first Bob Ducca episode and the iBrain episode, which I think happened around the same time.

Bob Ducca because he's my favorite CBB regular, and iBrain because it's a masterpiece of horrifying subject matter and impeccable reactions.

iBrain (EXTRAORDINARILY NSFW):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtV80ZdpTY0

Though this clip leaves out the best part:
    Lil' Gary: "I have a question. In the future... is ALL broccoli dehydrated?"

• Options
    What do I look like, some kind of guy that reads things?

Perhaps if you could give me that list in the form of a podcast.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Pooro stop being me, as those are what got me hooked on CBB as well

particularly iBrain

I showed it to another friend, who is now also a huge fan, and he hated me for most of it and then watching it slowly wash over him as Gelman got worse and worse was beautiful

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

TJ can be fine as long as there is another alpha personality for him to butt heads with.

Also I am one of the people who think the Garlin/Holmes/Miller episode is a thing of beauty and wonder

He annoyed me often enough that I decided to just avoid all his episodes, so I never listened to it (though I have heard of its glory)

I haven't really ventured into DLM in a while, though, maybe I'll give it a go

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Pooro stop being me, as those are what got me hooked on CBB as well

particularly iBrain

I showed it to another friend, who is now also a huge fan, and he hated me for most of it and then watching it slowly wash over him as Gelman got worse and worse was beautiful

The groans during the "boring" parts, with Gelman's "Please! Please!" were already killing me, and then it goes off the rails

• Options
    I am so bummed Lil' Gary hasn't returned

I hated that character initially because his voice but holy shit he is brilliant

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I hated that character initially because his voice but holy shit he is brilliant

Thomas Lennon is legit my idol

Not even a joke

• Options
    edited January 2013

DOUG LOVES MOVIES

He annoyed me often enough that I decided to just avoid all his episodes, so I never listened to it (though I have heard of its glory)

The Garlin/Holmes/Miller episode not only features Pete Holmes' incredible TJ Miller impression, but it also is basically an hour of TJ and Pete intentionally trying to out asshole eachother while an extremely confused Jeff Garlin fails to understand why he's considered the same as those two.

Doug barely talks, it's amazing.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

Thomas Lennon is legit my idol

Not even a joke
    I don't blame you

the guy is a hilarious actor and writer, but is more than happy enough to play to the shitty Hollywood system and make disgusting amounts of money with very little effort.

Dude gets to do whatever he wants, really.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    fogelnestfiles300-162x162.png

The Fogelnest Files is a podcast taped live at the UCB Theatre in Los Angeles where Jake Fogelnest and some of his favorite comedians and funny friends revisit pop culture gems from the internet and Jake’s personal archive.

Beginner's Episodes:
    Awesome Dudes and Total Jerks, with Jon Hendren
    Bev, Bob, and Beyond, with Paul Scheer, Colin Hanks, and David Koechner
    Politics!, with John Ross Bowie
    What Am I? On A Podcast?, with Andy Kindler
    The World of Cinema, with Jo(h)n Daly and Paul F. Tompkins

EAR_Improv4Humans_Cover_Final-162x162.png

improv4humans with Matt Besser, few names are as synonymous with improv as Matt Besser. Founding member of the Upright Citizens Brigade and a regular performer in the world-famous show Asssscat, Matt has brought his talents to Earwolf with a fully improvised weekly podcast featuring the best improvisers in the universe. Music by Bobby Matthews and Dragoon.

Beginner's Episodes:
    Basset Hound Lips, with Alex Berg, Jo(h)n Daly, and Ian Roberts
    Best of improv4humans Volumes 1 & 2
    Desert Vacation, with Billy Merritt, Danielle Schneider, and Andy Daly
    No Joking Around!, with Chris Gethard and Adam McKay
    Why or Why Not?, with Charlie Sanders, Eugene Cordero, and Jon Gabrus

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

The Garlin/Holmes/Miller episode not only features Pete Holmes' incredible TJ Miller impression, but it also is basically an hour of TJ and Pete intentionally trying to out asshole eachother while an extremely confused Jeff Garlin fails to understand why he's considered the same as those two.

Alright, that does sound pretty entertaining

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    DOUG LOVES MOVIES

Pete Holmes is secretly really amazing at impersonations. His voice is so ludicrous that you don't think he could sound any other way, but he's got a knack.

On his "You Made it Weird" with Kyle Kinane, he busts out a FANTASTIC Kinane impersonation.

Admittedly, the fact that I'm hardcore in love with Kinane probably helped.

• Options

Tom Lennon was the guest for the recent 300th episode of the Nerdist podcast

Little Gary appears from inside Tom Lennon's walls and sings a song for the Nerdist crew, and returns from whence he came

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.