As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The One [chat]

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    philidelphia is just the worst place

that's why camden sucks

too close to philly

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Stinky, creamiest Brie

Salty, fatty prosciutto

Crispy pita crackers

One beer

Deal with it

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    These teachers aren't teaching math the way I was taught math.

Therefore it must be inferior.

Now you're gettin' it.

if you aren't totally done with fractions by the end of 5th grade you are Doing It Wrong. Don't care how poor the area is. Those kids are just being screwed.

Nah. Addition and subtraction of unlike denominators is 5-6th grade material; multiplication & division of unlike denominators is typically 6-8th grade material. http://www.amle.org/research/researchsummaries/teachingfractions/tabid/1866/default.aspx

yikes. That is just sad.

would be like not even trying to teach reading until 3rd grade and staying on "see spot run" until 5th.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Echo wrote: »
    use password reminder

get sent actual password in plain text

avface.png

Gross.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I like Lehrer and I understand his song is satirical, but the parental backlash against 'new math' makes me bristle.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Stinky, creamiest Brie

Salty, fatty prosciutto

Crispy pita crackers

One beer

Deal with it

Let me cough on that for you.

Just so we can share something.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Speedrunners gonna be doing Batman:AC in under 3 hours.
    Gonna be interesting.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I don't get it what is this "new math" thing?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    @podly http://boomkat.com/downloads/618054-ruff-sqwad-white-label-classics >:3

Also madre de Dios http://boomkat.com/downloads/481811-fybe-one-harp-ep

Fybe:one

More like fybe : o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBlskpL61eM

Don't fight the breaks or the easy pads or the muted glitchy girl samples

Just give in

@gooey @eddy

desc on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    The best math worksheets were the ones with dumb puns, where each of the multiple choice questions would give you a letter to fill in.

You could figure out the answer to the pun pretty quickly, then just use that to answer the worksheet.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Man the low amount of frames on twitch really show on this modern game.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Now you're gettin' it.

if you aren't totally done with fractions by the end of 5th grade you are Doing It Wrong. Don't care how poor the area is. Those kids are just being screwed.

Nah. Addition and subtraction of unlike denominators is 5-6th grade material; multiplication & division of unlike denominators is typically 6-8th grade material. http://www.amle.org/research/researchsummaries/teachingfractions/tabid/1866/default.aspx

yikes. That is just sad.

would be like not even trying to teach reading until 3rd grade and staying on "see spot run" until 5th.

They start teaching fractions as early as first grade. They just stick to like denominators and conceptual exercises like drawing a fraction circle until grade 5.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Stinky, creamiest Brie

Salty, fatty prosciutto

Crispy pita crackers

One beer

Deal with it

Let me cough on that for you.

Just so we can share something.

No!

Quarantine thyself away from the brie

• Options
    I don't get it what is this "new math" thing?

New math was an approach to teaching math in a conceptual manner, with less emphasis on repetitive arithmetic exercises.

One of the parts of it that was widely reviled was the use of non-decimal bases. So kids would be taught how to count in different arbitrary bases and then asked to do math in those different bases.

The thing is that this method works really really well, but it confuses the shit out of parents (and some teachers).

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i am brilliant 8-)

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I got a worksheet on that at... primary four, that would age 9

confusing as heck and was promptly discarded and never spoken of for the next seven years of Actual Math

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Now you're gettin' it.

yikes. That is just sad.

They start teaching fractions as early as first grade. They just stick to like denominators and conceptual exercises like drawing a fraction circle until grade 5.

which is incredibly stupid and is going to seriously hamstring those kids lumbered with such poor teachers

like denominators and estimating should be fraction of one year of math tops. Hell, it's one of the few subjects that kids that age really can eat up and learn. Even better than adults. You can't hand a 3rd grader a copy of Macbeth or cover much in the way of history but those kids can eat up math like woah.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    i don't remember how i was taught math but it transformed me into the brilliant, incisive, efficiently coding numbskull who barely passed calculus but got a 100/100 in statistics that you see in front of you today

Organichu on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    The other day I saw a picture of a naked woman walking down the street with the words "Still not 'Asking for it'" written on her.

And I was like, "Damn right, gurrll! Preach it!"

But these two guys were just acquitted of "looking gay" in central africa in Cameroon where homosexual acts are illegal. And I'm reading it turns out they were dressed as women and wearing make-up. And my mind went, "If you know it's illegal, what the fuck were you doing dressed as women? What did you expect to happen?" And in a way I think they should have been more careful and mindful to avoid being arrested.

I swell up in frothing anger when someone suggests that a girl was "asking for it" or "should have been more careful" if they were wearing a low cut top and had too much to drink and they were raped. But a guy dresses in drag in a country where homosexuality is illegal and I'm all like, "What did you expect to happen dressed like that?"

Is there a way to quantify what the difference is? The fact that "law" is involved in one case? Is it a gender double standard I have? A cultural prejudice that I expect so little coming out of African governments?

• Options
    http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabuses/sciences/files/maths-primary-2007.pdf

I don't think they changed anything in the decade since I attended those classes, also after age nine my teachers were entitled to just adapt whatever as long the core stuff was still taught (hence the experimental invasion of the US math worksheets)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Life is crazy sometimes.

Also, I am really hungry.

Two more classes till lunch though Q.Q

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I hope I don't end up sharing a row with any coworkers on the plane tonight. They ate definitely going to hear some snoring.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    looks like recent educational changes all entailed shuffling material away from the younger and older years toward the slow bit in the middle

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Oh man 15 second predator sections. Now that's Batman.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Love me some Brie, but prosciutto has always been too insubstantial for my taste. If I'm wrapping anything in fatty, thinly-sliced meat, it is gonna be bacon.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhlVBpEnjig

Django unchained has a great soundtrack.

Chills. Fucking chills.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't remember how i was taught math but it transformed me into the brilliant, incisive, efficiently coding numbskull who barely passed calculus but got a 100/100 in statistics that you see in front of you today

I'm doing stats for a math credit right now; it is much easier then even the math I did in high school. Half the questions are asking me to find the bias or explain the significance of the information I gather.

Generally though I revile math because it is both very annoying and very useful.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    That Django theme song is pretty awesome in the original spaghetti western, too. With Django hauling around that casket during the opening credits.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Love me some Brie, but prosciutto has always been too insubstantial for my taste. If I'm wrapping anything in fatty, thinly-sliced meat, it is gonna be bacon.

I can respect your dedication to structural integrity, but I might suggest that prosciutto is like, the dainty delicate lace of getting fat as opposed to bacon's perfect slabs.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Is it a gender double standard I have?

It's this one. You likely would applaud a woman wearing immodest Western-style clothing forbidden in Saudi Arabia but you'd look away in revulsion at a man wearing, say, a Brazilian speedo in an American shopping mall.

• Options
    Calc and stats seem to use different parts of my brain. Calc required a complete rearranging of my math brain it seemed. But I enjoyed chunks of it. Stats always seemed much more intuitive to me. Also depending on the stats class they can range from brain dead plug and chug to actually dealing with math more complex operations.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I used to live and breathe music and it has become a less central part of my life over the last few years

But between the new burial and this fybe one album, damn

This fybe one album is album of the year material for me

I am like, swooning and having emotions over it

• Options
    i definitely started to improve part of the way through calculus. i believe i'll get the hang of it very soon.

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Is it a gender double standard I have?

It's this one. You likely would applaud a woman wearing immodest Western-style clothing forbidden in Saudi Arabia but you'd look away in revulsion at a man wearing, say, a Brazilian speedo in an American shopping mall.

That second one is not true, but the first one is. Though I might be more amused than I should be at the second. :(

I'm disappointed in myself.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    I used to live and breathe music and it has become a less central part of my life over the last few years

i seriously didn't bring my ipod with me when i went out yesterday because i am tired of music

• Options
    James I saw that pic on Facebook

I may or may not have been male gazing pretty hard at it

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »

i seriously didn't bring my ipod with me when i went out yesterday because i am tired of music

Since I am back in class, I once again have tuned my radio to nothing but NPR because I need to keep my self up to date on the news. Like during my break I barely read or listened to the news. Back in school, I spend an hour reading through it every day.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    The other day I saw a picture of a naked woman walking down the street with the words "Still not 'Asking for it'" written on her.

And I was like, "Damn right, gurrll! Preach it!"

But these two guys were just acquitted of "looking gay" in central africa in Cameroon where homosexual acts are illegal. And I'm reading it turns out they were dressed as women and wearing make-up. And my mind went, "If you know it's illegal, what the fuck were you doing dressed as women? What did you expect to happen?" And in a way I think they should have been more careful and mindful to avoid being arrested.

I swell up in frothing anger when someone suggests that a girl was "asking for it" or "should have been more careful" if they were wearing a low cut top and had too much to drink and they were raped. But a guy dresses in drag in a country where homosexuality is illegal and I'm all like, "What did you expect to happen dressed like that?"

Is there a way to quantify what the difference is? The fact that "law" is involved in one case? Is it a gender double standard I have? A cultural prejudice that I expect so little coming out of African governments?
    Gender double standard mixed with a little bit of white knighting plus a dash of cisgender and heteronormative privilege steeped in a roux of imperialism. YOU ARE PRIVILEGE SOUP.
    Not really. You do recognize that it is weird internal discontinuity and thats a really good thing.

This discussion has been closed.