As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Port[chat]ia

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Gimp is pretty

8-)

gimped

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    you guys are encouraging thievery.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Evening Homps.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Alright, I'm just going to lick as many surfaces as I can until I go home from work

c'mere, shared computer keyboard

I dunno, man. Being sick in Japan kinda sucks. Especially if you end up needing to see a doctor on a day you're supposed to be working. Then you get stopped by the cops and interrogated as to why you're not at work.

Not that I'm bitter or anything -.-

Waitwhat?

Didn't we nuke that type of shit out of them in the war?

This actually caused me to narrow my eyes in disgust. Congratulations, I guess?

I have seen maybe 5 cops my entire time in Japan, just driving around looking for people speeding.

I've been listening to some pretty rude stand up comedy. I'm easily swayed into bad habits.

So, wait, are you defending police harassment? Is someone reading your posts? If you need out ill wire you the cash.

Nah, police harassment is pretty much the worst thing. One thing I am not looking forward to going back to the states. :P

How dare you, sir.
    How dare you.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm just going to lick as many surfaces as I can until I go home from work

I dunno, man. Being sick in Japan kinda sucks. Especially if you end up needing to see a doctor on a day you're supposed to be working. Then you get stopped by the cops and interrogated as to why you're not at work.

Waitwhat?

I have seen maybe 5 cops my entire time in Japan, just driving around looking for people speeding.

Most of the police I had dealings with were quite friendly, actually. Especially when I was swapping my US driver's license for a Japanese one, because he knew how much of a pain in the ass that is.

I haven't actually exchanged words with any cops yet. I am definitely not looking forward to having to to driver's license stuff though (assuming I end up staying and have to).

There's enough freely available information in regards to this, it shouldn't be a problem for most people. I had some specific problems that caused me issues that drug it out for 3-6 months before I could even take the driving test, but they shouldn't be common.

工事中
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    dude tries to call out kamiya

14F2Q.png

did you see how that started?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I am disappointed that there are so few jumbo coin cartoons out there so far.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Waitwhat?

Most of the police I had dealings with were quite friendly, actually. Especially when I was swapping my US driver's license for a Japanese one, because he knew how much of a pain in the ass that is.

I haven't actually exchanged words with any cops yet. I am definitely not looking forward to having to to driver's license stuff though (assuming I end up staying and have to).

There's enough freely available information in regards to this, it shouldn't be a problem for most people. I had some specific problems that caused me issues that drug it out for 3-6 months before I could even take the driving test, but they shouldn't be common.

I just hear the test itself is hard, most people take a few tries to get through it.

Then again people said that about the driving test back in the states and I got that on my first crack at it so, I dunno.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Would everyone here agree that Gimp is a good free alternative to Photoshop? Because I'm already downloading it. God, I've seriously needed Photoshop on this laptop for so long now.

Photoshop CS2 is free now, check the adobe website

only free if you owned it before, yo. Adobe said so

Last I heard, they took it down for this specific reason. It was to provide legal owners of the software to continue to use the software after shutting down the authentication servers.

工事中
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The people at the licensing center were awesome I agree Coke. But I had run ins with just street cops which were not so nice. Like, part of me wants to say it must be like being latino here in Colorado moment. Like police pulling up and asking me out of the blue what I am doing. Asking me for my papers. Wanting to come to my apartment that type of shit.

Japanese cops can be really awesome, especially in places where you get a lot of foreigners. They were dicks in Tochigi.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The people at the licensing center were awesome I agree Coke. But I had run ins with just street cops which were not so nice. Like, part of me wants to say it must be like being latino here in Colorado moment. Like police pulling up and asking me out of the blue what I am doing. Asking me for my papers. Wanting to come to my apartment that type of shit.

Japanese cops can be really awesome, especially in places where you get a lot of foreigners. They were dicks in Tochigi.

Straight up gestapo all up ins eh?

• Options
    Heh, now I remembered using Photoshop way back when in school.

The school only had X licenses for Photoshop.

Everyone just unplugged the network, started Photoshop and plugged it back in to bypass the authentication servers.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    2012 hottest year on record in contiguous U.S., NOAA says

god DAMN it
    one degree above the previous record and 3.2 degrees higher than the 20th-century average ... part of a longer-term trend of hotter, drier and potentially more extreme weather.

• Options
    Oooh my parents sent me the tentative schedule for their visit here. 2 days in tokyo, 3 days in kyoto, 3 days in osaka.

The best part about the schedule? Most of the days have the only listed activity as "Tour on your own" :D

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Thanks guys! I'm downloading CS2. Yeah, Gimp sucked. Two minutes trying to work with it was enough.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

god DAMN it
    one degree above the previous record and 3.2 degrees higher than the 20th-century average ... part of a longer-term trend of hotter, drier and potentially more extreme weather.
    Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.
    - Job 37:14

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Oooh my parents sent me the tentative schedule for their visit here. 2 days in tokyo, 3 days in kyoto, 3 days in osaka.

The best part about the schedule? Most of the days have the only listed activity as "Tour on your own" :D

Oh they are doing a tour? I was going to offer you my friends and family rate if you guys needed it

• Options
    Might just be my area.

But I think Tohoku post disaster is pretty much "oh thank god anyone wants to come and visit us"

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Waitwhat?

I've been listening to some pretty rude stand up comedy. I'm easily swayed into bad habits.

So, wait, are you defending police harassment? Is someone reading your posts? If you need out ill wire you the cash.

Nah, police harassment is pretty much the worst thing. One thing I am not looking forward to going back to the states. :P

It's a party!

I had a police officer lie to me about an infraction being a misdemeanor the other day. Fun times.

Not really harassment, but it is certainly something that makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe he just didn't know? But that seems unlikely.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

14F2Q.png

yes a kotaku article calling him clueless about pc gaming

its true... but i just love the gratuitousness of the response

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Waitwhat?

I just hear the test itself is hard, most people take a few tries to get through it.

Then again people said that about the driving test back in the states and I got that on my first crack at it so, I dunno.

Yeah, I had to take it twice. It's only hard because they're so specific about the execution of the driving paths, that skill doesn't really matter.

Part of the reason I failed my first time was because I wasn't quite far enough left in the lane.

工事中
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    GIMP is terrible.

Paint.NET and GIMPShop are better.

Nothing compares to Photoshop, though.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Waitwhat?

It is different from the US one and there are some weird things they want you to do. I did it my second time. Also it is 100% Japanese or at least mine was. Also hope you have a really nice cop. If not, then well it can be harder than it should.

Japan does have a real underlying issue with xenophobia. Especially with the older generation. Whites usually get a pass. But depending on where you are that might not be true.

But man it normally won't effect most people who do the ALT job. Then there are moments when you get cussed out on the street by an old Japanese lady for being American. This happened to a friend of ours.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Oh they are doing a tour? I was going to offer you my friends and family rate if you guys needed it

Yeah they are getting all of the transport and hotels and everything booked in advanced through a company. Should be nice as we will have basically zero to worry about while we are there.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

god DAMN it
    Stand still and consider the wondrous works of God.
    - Job 37:14

wat

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    workaholics and kroll show next wednesday. that's gonna be a great hour.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Waitwhat?

I got pulled over by some police who were on foot a few weeks ago. I was cycling at night without any lights, so they were totally right to pull me over.

Then they said they had to check my bicycle registration number (we have this theft prevention database for bicycles), so we read the number and one guy radioed it in.

While we were waiting for the answer, I said, very cordially, in nice polite Japanese, 'Is this because I'm foreign? It is isn't it?'

... and they were mortified. They bowed a lot, said they would never ever do anything like that, that that would be really racist, and they hoped I didn't think that of them.

I gave them a polite but skeptical, 'Really?' and they were nearly crippled by embarrassment.

Then the radio came back confirming that the bicycle was mine, they complimented me on my Japanese, apologised again, and sent me on my way.

Weirdest conversation I ever had with a policeman.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options

god DAMN it

Thank baby Jesus global warming isn't real or worse because of humans.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    GIMP is terrible.

Paint.NET and GIMPShop are better.

Nothing compares to Photoshop, though.

Pixelmator for OS X is great if you don't need the entire kitchen sink Photoshop gives you.

• Options

14F2Q.png

yes a kotaku article calling him clueless about pc gaming

its true... but i just love the gratuitousness of the response

Kamiya is a fucking boss, but if you created all the games he did you would be too

• Options

Yeah they are getting all of the transport and hotels and everything booked in advanced through a company. Should be nice as we will have basically zero to worry about while we are there.

Good to hear!

• Options
    Man watching Sonic Generation speedrun, game is awesome

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    workaholics and kroll show next wednesday. that's gonna be a great hour.

Bobby Bottle Service needs his own show.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

Waitwhat?

I got pulled over by some police who were on foot a few weeks ago. I was cycling at night without any lights, so they were totally right to pull me over.

Then they said they had to check my bicycle registration number (we have this theft prevention database for bicycles), so we read the number and one guy radioed it in.

While we were waiting for the answer, I said, very cordially, in nice polite Japanese, 'Is this because I'm foreign? It is isn't it?'

... and they were mortified. They bowed a lot, said they would never ever do anything like that, that that would be really racist, and they hoped I didn't think that of them.

I gave them a polite but skeptical, 'Really?' and they were nearly crippled by embarrassment.

Then the radio came back confirming that the bicycle was mine, they complimented me on my Japanese, apologised again, and sent me on my way.

Seems a little weird to bring up being a foreigner when you also said that they were totally in the right in pulling you over for cycling with no lights on.

• Options

Waitwhat?

You were so mean to them!

:(

• Options
    Might just be my area.

But I think Tohoku post disaster is pretty much "oh thank god anyone wants to come and visit us"

Yeah I had my issues with Tohoku pre-disaster so hopefully it changed. Otawara is a nice place with some cool people. But the cops were special sort of dick.

Also reading Tokyo Vice makes you hate the Japanese police even more. Someone posted an article about them earlier today which was also blood boiling.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

can you link

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm honestly curious where all the hate for GIMP comes from. I mean, most people will never be doing anything that requires Photoshop specifically.

Is it just the layout/UI?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I have not had any weird conversations with policemen before, unfortunately. But I always have the WORST LUCK. Stuff like, registration is out of date and I'm transporting a kukri to my house (they are hella useful for gardening, but are practically swords). And being pulled over for a broken taillight in a (not my) car which smells faintly of pot the day after my wallet chain broke so I can't find my license and I come back as not in the system because they spelled my name wrong.

Yeah, I pretty much just always get really unlucky.

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

can you link

http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

This discussion has been closed.