Options

Concert Lineup Announced for East 2013!

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited January 2013 in PAX East
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/01/09/pax-east-2013-stuffs
Friday’s got:
VGO
Those Who Fight
Protomen

Saturday will feature:
Sam Hart
Frontalot
Jonathan Coulton
Paul and Storm

zerzhul on
«1

Posts

  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    nice to see they're adding some new acts as many have suggested, and SUPER excited to see sam hart on the list!

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, Sam Hart did prime 2012 I think, so not *totally* new :P

  • Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    Those Who Fight's website is sparse, but they had the full performance from Magfest on their Facebook page.

    http://youtu.be/ycZOhdTubSQ

  • Options
    dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah, Sam Hart did prime 2012 I think, so not *totally* new :P
    Baby steps.

    Cool to see they picked up a band from the Jamspace last year. I hope that trend continues.

    dalaamprince on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Man, I was really hoping they'd replace the majority of these acts. But hey, I already know my tastes don't match the average PAXer so I'll be hoping for some awesome acts in the Jam Space again this year!

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yeah, Sam Hart did prime 2012 I think, so not *totally* new :P

    he's still new to east!

    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    If that list is accurate to the order then I'm glad to see Frontalot getting a spot earlier in the lineup for once!

  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    A little bummed that Metroid Metal and the Minibosses aren't coming back, I really enjoyed their shows. Hope that Paul and Storm and Protomen aren't closing the show. My son really wants to see them and will not make it that late.

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would put money on Protomen closing friday night. P&S don't usually close though, they're usually right before JoCo.

  • Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Was hoping Bit Brigade would make the cut. Oh well, still haven't seen most of these since I am out drinking somewhere.. perhaps I'll change that this year.

  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    it seems like every year wer have the same bands, i wish you guys put power glove on the main stage, they always have the best show at the jam space

    also , bring weird al you guys have the powwwaaaa

    sillyzombie666 on
    I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nobody who reads this thread has any control over the band selections :)

  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    No Metroid Metal? Aww :(

    Glad to see P&S and Protomen back again though.

  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    pretty much same line up....I'm okay with this

    weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Nobody who reads this thread has any control over the band selections :)

    o i know but still same exact headliners ever year, but don't get me wrong i love joco, front and proto men but i mean i wish we just got other groups

    I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Nobody who reads this thread has any control over the band selections :)

    o i know but still same exact headliners ever year, but don't get me wrong i love joco, front and proto men but i mean i wish we just got other groups

    Well, you said "you guys" ;)

  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    N13 wrote: »
    Those Who Fight's website is sparse, but they had the full performance from Magfest on their Facebook page.

    Ha, you can see my whole team up front filming them. Yeah, let me tell you guys, Those Who Fight is an awesome band. They're only about a year old now, as their first show was at last years MAGFest on second stage. But they're a "supergroup" band, including members from bands like Armcannon and Descendants of Erdrick, among one or two others. They killed it at MAGFest last weekend and they'll do it again at PAX. The Protomen have some new stuff to play too for those of you who only go to East, and the VGO have some special things planned. So the Friday night concerts are not something to be missed.

    Otherwise, as much as I still enjoy seeing JoCo and P&S, I'd love to see more changes in the lineup too. Hopefully the 4 days of Prime will bring us some more concerts.

    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    SnazzyGentSnazzyGent Registered User regular
    I was really impressed with Supercommuter last year. Maybe they'll be back for 2014.

  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I think part of it is also in terms of who can put on a show deserving of a huge stage, while simultaneously appealing to a wider taste and crowd. Powerglove is very speed metal and might not get the same draw as a band like Protomen or Those Who Fight.

    I'm glad to see Those Who Fight take stage, having just discovered them at MAGFest myself. I'm totally cool with Friday's line-up.

    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    Hoping Frontalot will get an earlier spot in the line up. Talked with my group and we all decided we're not really interested in seeing other acts. The concerts were really fun for me the first year, but after that not so much. Going to make use of the time for late night panels, game play etc. And a little bar action :D

  • Options
    nbcaffeinenbcaffeine Registered User regular
    Like SnazzyGent, I was impressed with Supercommuter. Big fan now. Wish I could meet Wheelie and Steno again, they were super rad dudes.

  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    As long as The Protomen and JoCo/Paul and Storm play, I'm happy! Though I'd love to see Animaniguchi again, or see I Fight Dragons at PAX.

    UyhWici.png
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    As long as The Protomen and JoCo/Paul and Storm play, I'm happy! Though I'd love to see Animaniguchi again, or see I Fight Dragons at PAX.

    Oh man, I Fight Dragons would rock the stage hard. I'd love to see them play PAX!

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love MC Front, like really enjoy his music, but I'd prefer to see him a bit earlier. But that's only because I only ever get to catch the closer due to a LRR panel.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    It's a goal of mine to see VGO this year. I know something is going to pull me away...

    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    Ugh, a concert that's almost impossible to say no to on Saturday night, which is the night with the best parties... Difficult choices will have to be made.

  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    The only thing I wish is that they somehow get Machinae Supremacy out of Sweden and over here. And, naturally, preferably to play at PAX East because that's the one I can go to.

    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    The only thing I wish is that they somehow get Machinae Supremacy out of Sweden and over here. And, naturally, preferably to play at PAX East because that's the one I can go to.
    Go to MAGFest next year. They will be there.

    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    The only thing I wish is that they somehow get Machinae Supremacy out of Sweden and over here. And, naturally, preferably to play at PAX East because that's the one I can go to.
    Go to MAGFest next year. They will be there.

    You just blew my load mind.

    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I know this has been discussed in other threads, but rather than clutter them up with specific discussion about the acts, what does everyone thing about the PAX concerts? Personally to me, I think it's time to freshen up the lineup.

    VGO on night one was great as usual, but much of their material was repeated from years past. I actually think VGO could have benefited from a longer set, and a wider variety of music instead of the usual Square / Final Fantasy stuff they always perform.

    Those Who Fight were terrible, the less said about them the better. I don't even know what their act was supposed to be, but their narrative was nonsense, their music was off key, and their singers couldn't hold a note for anything.

    I know I might get some heat for this, because I know they have a following, but The Protomen have got to go. I understand that they originally started out performing material that was loosely based on the storyline established in the Megaman series, but it seems they gave up that gimmick a long time ago, and no long seem to work that angle. Now they are just a loud rock group, which is fine, they're perfectly capable, but it just seems entirely out of place at PAX at this point, they just don't fit in thematically.

    As for Night 2, the first guy whose name I missed was a bit odd, not bad, just odd.

    MC Frontalot was great, he played new material, had a wide variety of songs, he was the best act of the two nights.

    Jonathan Coltan is just phoning it in at this point. He just seemed to get on stage, go through the motions, and leave.

    I hate to rag on Paul and Storm because they are very funny, but some of their material is starting to get a little dated, and their jokes are getting stale (jokes about Gary Glitter, seriously? Is this a comedy show in 2013 or a rerun of Match Game from the 70's?). Like VGO, a lot of their act was the same as last year, but it's not as bad because they improvise and interject some new material. Paul and Storm should definitely stay, but they really need to update their act.

    So in my opinion, Frontalot is a definitely keeper. Paul and Storm should stay if they can come up with some more timely material. VGO should either have an entire night to themselves, or at least an extra half hour. Everyone else should get swapped out. There's certainly no lack of independent bands playing video game music, or have a nerdcentric gimmick about them.

    What does everyone else think?

    gamerman1227 on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I know I might get some heat for this, because I know they have a following, but The Protomen have got to go. I understand that they originally started out performing material that was loosely based on the storyline established in the Megaman series, but it seems they gave up that gimmick a long time ago, and no long seem to work that angle. Now they are just a loud rock group, which is fine, they're perfectly capable, but it just seems entirely out of place at PAX at this point, they just don't fit in thematically.
    What? Every song they played (except 1 Queen song and one Intro into another song) was all part of their Megaman-based Rock Opera. I was actually expecting them to play more of their Queen/Cover stuff but they stuck to their Game-based things for PAX.

    I guess I just don't see your point of them being "out of place at PAX."

  • Options
    gamerman1227gamerman1227 Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    I know I might get some heat for this, because I know they have a following, but The Protomen have got to go. I understand that they originally started out performing material that was loosely based on the storyline established in the Megaman series, but it seems they gave up that gimmick a long time ago, and no long seem to work that angle. Now they are just a loud rock group, which is fine, they're perfectly capable, but it just seems entirely out of place at PAX at this point, they just don't fit in thematically.
    What? Every song they played (except 1 Queen song and one Intro into another song) was all part of their Megaman-based Rock Opera. I was actually expecting them to play more of their Queen/Cover stuff but they stuck to their Game-based things for PAX.

    I guess I just don't see your point of them being "out of place at PAX."

    I'll take your word for it, maybe it's because I don't follow their music, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of whatever they were talking about.

  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Personally, I enjoyed JoCo the most. I wish he had more time. I think he was more rushed than "going through the motions." I loved Paul and Storm last year, but some of the novelty has worn off, and they incorporate too much cheap 12-year-old humor for my taste. That said, I'd love to continue to see them there, just not as headliners. VGO was great, but nothing new. I can appreciate the Protomen, but it's just no my type of music so I can't really be objective with them.

  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    I know I might get some heat for this, because I know they have a following, but The Protomen have got to go. I understand that they originally started out performing material that was loosely based on the storyline established in the Megaman series, but it seems they gave up that gimmick a long time ago, and no long seem to work that angle. Now they are just a loud rock group, which is fine, they're perfectly capable, but it just seems entirely out of place at PAX at this point, they just don't fit in thematically.
    What? Every song they played (except 1 Queen song and one Intro into another song) was all part of their Megaman-based Rock Opera. I was actually expecting them to play more of their Queen/Cover stuff but they stuck to their Game-based things for PAX.

    I guess I just don't see your point of them being "out of place at PAX."

    I'll take your word for it, maybe it's because I don't follow their music, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of whatever they were talking about.
    Yeeeah, you should probably do some research into the music before deeming it unfit as part of your argument.

    The problem is everyone has different tastes in music. It's hard to say "they should be cycled out because I don't like their genre" because there are a heck of a lot of people who feel otherwise. That can be said for any performer.

    I don't envy the one who has to make the musical line up call because its such a balancing act. That said I'd kinda like to see Brental Floss at PAX some time. Does he even do stage performance? No idea but it'd be fun.

  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Seconding pretty much everything @cocowoushi said.

    I've seen the Protomen countless times now, and they're easily one of my favorite bands to watch live. Granted it did take a long time for me to understand even a little bit of the story they tell, so I'm with ya there. Some people may not like or understand them, but plenty of others are the opposite.

    Brentalfloss? Yeah he totally does stage shows. He's played in the Jamspace at PAX before, and he usually always performs at MAGFest too. And with a backing band!

    Those Who Fight-
    I don't want to get too into this, because I'm friends with pretty much the whole band, but they're still very new. Their first show was only a little over a year ago, but they're kind of a supergroup band, with members coming from other bands that are pretty big in the VGM scene (Armcannon, Descendants of Erdrick, etc.). And maybe that doesn't always work, maybe they still need to work on some things, but I'll leave that to your opinions. Anyway, for those who don't know, they are a Final Fantasy rock opera. They may seem a bit out of place considering the bands that usually play at PAX, but I think that's exactly what PAX needs. Then again, I've been spoiled by MAGFest, who has around 40 performing acts throughout their show.

    VGO-
    They're my favorite to see at PAX, next to the Protomen. Sure, I agree that they could do better with more time and different material, but honestly, they had some new material this time. And they've been taking suggestions over the past few months or more for what people want to see from them. The FFVI opera they played was one such example.

    Agreed about JoCo and P&S as well. I love 'em both but they're getting a bit stale. I want to see JoCo do something like Coultron again, or something with the VGO.
    Frontalot? Meh. I was never really a fan, but he's grown on me. I don't see his act changing much but he does keep up on new material. They're a fun bunch to watch on stage though.


    Anyway, opinions and such out of the way, what bands would you guys like to see up on main stage that haven't been to PAX before? Or that have but no longer show up?
    My votes go for Armcannon, Powerglove, The OneUps, Bit Brigade, The Megas, Rare Candy- just to name a few. They'd all fit in so well here...

    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    VGO is my very favorite PAX act. I will drop just about anything to go see them during PAX :)

  • Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    In terms of VGO and Protomen, note that fans always have expectations as to what sort of songs they should play. You'll always have people angry if they don't play "some of the classics". This happens with every band ever.

    But when you say the folks from Those Who Fight can't hold a note, I can only assume you've grown up with way too much auto-tune and have no clue what real singing sounds like, because damn. Arm Cannon guy and Amanda Lepre have got some pipes on 'em.

    I don't do the Saturday concerts since I'm more of a hard rocker, which I think is part of what they're trying to do. Hard rock Friday night, not-so-hard-rock on Saturday. Then again, I suppose VGO doesn't fit the hard rock mold...

    The thing is, what other bands would you put up there? What groups have the following and can put on a show for that size of a crowd? There's only so many video game cover bands, and Those Who Fight mix it up by applying some of their own lyrics (and throwing in Amanda Lepre's original Undying Hero in there).

    The only band I'd ask for on Friday night to switch it up is Machinae Supremacy.

    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    I mean, not to pull a nerd card here, but I can name about 30 different video game cover bands without breaking a sweat, and most of them would probably hold up pretty well on the main stage with their own unique flair.

  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I think Protomen have a real strong "you either love them or hate them" thing going. I checked out their stuff on Spotify and wow, it's just not for me. In fact, I actively hated putting myself through giving them a chance.

    I would have loved to see I Fight Dragons up there, those guys definitely have a big enough following and kick ass.

    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Coldbrew has been kidnapped by NickTheNewbie and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

    My name is something you’d find near toilets
    But that’s nothing compared to the shit I deal with
    For a brief stint, I tried adoption
    But the kid I got turned out to be rotten
    Which forumer am I?

Sign In or Register to comment.