As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Kingmaker Act 1: The Stolen Land (IC Thread)

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    As Smith strides back to the others he readjusts a metal shoulder plate of his, dislodged from his fall after being swept to the ground by the bandit leader. He gives a few cursory pounds with his fist to his chest to even out a dent before standing behind the still-unconscious Jasper, keeping a ready and firm grip on the hilt of his sword.
    Healing: Use two healing surges to regain 14 HP, bringing me back up to full health.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Matthew moves towards the unconscious Jasper and kicks the bandits weapons away.

"Does anyone have some rope?"

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    Rummaging around in his kit, Gareth finds some rope. Stepping over to Jasper, he stands astride the sleeping bandit and begins to hogtie him with a disturbingly practiced ease, barely looking at the task at hand, and whistling softly, all bloodlust apparently assuaged for the moment.

Stepping back from the now completely immobilized bandit, Gareth looks around at the party with a faraway look in his eyes, as if remembering something. Suddenly snapping back to the present, he asks, "Oh- should I have tied the wee thing so tightly? I can change the bindings if we needs to lead it about."
    Healing: Use two healing surges to regain 9 HP, back to full health!.

PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    "Well now, let us see what this liar has to say for himself."
    Healing: Nemo uses 1 healing surge to recover 8 HP. Full Health.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Dhyrn tugged a bolt free from his leg and rubbed the welt forming on the side of his head. He kicked the dead bandit before him, sending a small spray of blood from corpse's neck wound. He glowered at everyone and everything for a moment. Sight returned to his eye, and after licking his blades clean and putting them back, the gnoll ransacked the dead bodies.

"Eeheeheeheehee," Dhyrn giggled as he built a big pile of coins in the middle of the road with four vials of an unknown substance. He considered taking everything but decided against it - he had no intention of angering the magicians in the group and being cursed. The currency was divided into six approximately even piles, and Dhyrn took the one with the shiniest coins - about 148 pieces. He retrieved his chest and secured his share of the loot. leaving the other coins for his companions to sort. The potions of healing did not smell of alcohol and the gnoll was not interested in them.

He dragged one of the bodies from the road and a few yards into the trees. Dhyrn spoke from his experience as a raider, "We need to get rid of these bodies. It's no good if they have more friends and the friends find them here dead. My tribe would have been well fed, but I don't think any of you eat speaking meat and I can't do it by myself. I don't think that thing eats at all," he pointed at Smith and then grabbed another bandit, "Drag them into the forest. The animals will do the rest for us."

Not waiting for any discussion, Dhyrn dragged the body into the forest. Once out of sight, he sawed a leg off the body and found a nice spot within hearing distance of the road. He sat down against a tree and rested, drinking one of the aleskins from his pack and having his meal.
    Spend 2 healing surges for 12 HP restored.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    Arifyn watched his fellow adventures wearily. The fight had banged him up rather good. While he would have never told his current companions this, it was his first action without additional Judicials alongside him. He was going to have learn and learn fast to work with this new group. He held his hand over the wounds in his shoulders. After careful inspection, it didn't appear anything was broken. Time would mend him right. The human, Gareth?, tied the bandit known as Jasper up. As soon as Jasper started to come around, the King's Judicial squatted in front of the man.

"Hello, my friend. I hope the pain isn't too severe. Jasper, we have a bit of a problem here. Let me explain the conundrum you do find yourself in now. You have attacked a Kingsman and not just any Kingsman. I am a Lesser Judicial of the King's Arcane Justice of the Royal Magical Service. Attacking a Judicial is not taken lightly Brevoy. Here is where your problem lies, Jasper. We are not in Brevoy. Now, I find myself in a peculiar position. I can bind you to the King's Law, take you back to Brevoy and find a bannerlord somewhere to pass judgement to you. Some of the bannerlords in the south are not.... as amicable as you would prefer. I am sure a lord or two in Restov would perform public execution but I might stray more nothernly, where a lord may simply render you unto a life in a prison cell or work camp.

The Judicial stared deep into Jasper's eyes, speaking softly. "You see Jasper, we pay for everything in this life one way or the other. Bahamut's perfect justice finds us all in time. But I fear Jasper it is not this life you will find it. For I am not in the company of Kingsmen. Those you see around me are dark men, with dark intents. Sellswords, mercenaries, barbarians. They would not permit to lose me for weeks at a time to pursue such noble justice. Do you see that Gnoll over there, eating your friend's leg? He would like fresh meat, live meat. He means to eat you, Jasper."

Arifyn leaned forward, conspiratorially. "But I have influence with these men. Tell me where you operate from and who sent you to attack us and I may convince them to free you. There are enough bodies here and work to be done that small respite from carrying dead men would be welcomed. Tell me, Jasper, and you can delay justice."
    Two healing surges for max HP. Also, Intimidate Roll (1d20+9=16)

Can I get some modifiers for people helping me, like Dhyrn and him being tied up?

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Jasper opened his eyes groggily; Matthew's Sleep spell finally wearing off. His fanciful dream suddenly plunges into a dreadful nightmare as he surveyed the field. His comrades hacked, sliced, beaten and even crushed. Jasper couldn't even hold his breath when he looked on what remained of his former leader, no nothing more than a hacked corpse. The bandit threw up at the sight.

Arifyn:
    Intimidate Roll: Success!

Talonrazor wrote: »
    "Hello, my friend. I hope the pain isn't too severe. Jasper, we have a bit of a problem here. Let me explain the conundrum you do find yourself in now. You have attacked a Kingsman and not just any Kingsman. I am a Lesser Judicial of the King's Arcane Justice of the Royal Magical Service. Attacking a Judicial is not taken lightly Brevoy. Here is where your problem lies, Jasper. We are not in Brevoy. Now, I find myself in a peculiar position. I can bind you to the King's Law, take you back to Brevoy and find a bannerlord somewhere to pass judgement to you. Some of the bannerlords in the south are not.... as amicable as you would prefer. I am sure a lord or two in Restov would perform public execution but I might stray more nothernly, where a lord may simply render you unto a life in a prison cell or work camp.

Jasper's face turns pale at the thought of execution. "Look, I don' wanna go back to Brevoy! Left House Surtova when I went 'gainst orders! I don' wanna go back there! I swear! Just wanted to be left alone, I swear!"
    "You see Jasper, we pay for everything in this life one way or the other. Bahamut's perfect justice finds us all in time. But I fear Jasper it is not this life you will find it. For I am not in the company of Kingsmen. Those you see around me are dark men, with dark intents. Sellswords, mercenaries, barbarians. They would not permit to lose me for weeks at a time to pursue such noble justice. Do you see that Gnoll over there, eating your friend's leg? He would like fresh meat, live meat. He means to eat you, Jasper."

Jasper could not see the Gnoll, but if every childhood story about Gnolls were true, he did not doubt Arifyn's word. He gulped.
    "But I have influence with these men. Tell me where you operate from and who sent you to attack us and I may convince them to free you. There are enough bodies here and work to be done that small respite from carrying dead men would be welcomed. Tell me, Jasper, and you can delay justice."

Jasper starts to stutter a few unintelligible words. When he realizes that no one understood him, he quickly regained some measure of composure, before continuing on.

"Look, listen. I don't know much about that goes on, honest! All I know is, I joined this 'ere lot two or so weeks ago. My boss..." Jasper points towards the mess that was once his commanding officer with his face, "met with some woman or another, with the rest of her bandit gang as well. Called herself Kressle, and what a wildfire she is! Got a mouth and a tongue of a viper too, she has! Said she was workin' for someone named 'The Stag Lord' or somethin, an' said she was recruitin' us, and that refusin' wasn't an option. Our last boss threatened her. He got his head lopped off with one of them throwin axes of hers cleeeeean off before he could draw his bloody sword! Our new boss quickly accepted her offer. Said 'we had to stay 'ere and ambush any caravans that came from Oleg'. Said 'we had to make sure Oleg's keepin' his promise', she said. Of course, our new boss obliged, and we kept to this 'ere road. The new boss even said we could ambush some fools to pass the time. Well, lookin' at what happened now," Jasper says as he looks about the field, "I'd say we got OUR arses beaten!"

Jasper remains tied up, looking at the Warlock with fearful uncertainty, awaiting further questions...

Arifyn, Matthew:
    Passive Insight: Success
    You get the feeling this man is telling the truth.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Arifyn nodded sagely at Jasper. He smiled at the man. "Wise, very wise Jasper! Would you like some water from my waterskin? Where did you guys meet this Kressle woman? Who was she, what did she look like? Did she mention anything else about Oleg or The Stag Lord?"

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Matthew wracks his brain to see if he can recall anything about Kressle or Stag King.
    History Roll: 1d20+9 22

"Jasper, my good friend the Judicial is quite correct that you are in a good deal of trouble. You can see this either as a setback or as an opportunity. I can see that you are an enterprising individual. If you come with us, I'm sure we could find a use for a man with your talents."
    Diplomacy Roll: 1d20+9 11

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Dhyrn emerged from the forest. He stumbled a bit and still had not finished his food, holding his chest of wealth tucked under one arm and half of a foot in his other hand. With crunch, the gnoll devoured the rest of the foot in two bites, bones and all. He licked his lips clean and sucked blood off of his claws and moaned, "Ooh, I think I ate too much."

The gnoll examined Jasper and spoke to Matthew, the merchant of the group, "I want him. Five gold. He's damaged, but I could do with a slave, er, unpaid servant. I'm being nice!"

He smiled. A bit of skin was stuck between his teeth, which he quickly picked out and swallowed and then smiled again.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Nemo looked to Dhyrn, "You sure you want to risk keeping him around as a pet? He might just turn around and bite you when you're not looking." Nemo flashed a toothy grin at the Gnoll.

"At any rate, from what he's told us we should make haste to our rendezvous with Oleg. It sounds like this bandit ambush here won't be the last attack against him. It would be a shame for our only contact out here to die before we even meet him."

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    As Gareth wiped the gore and brains from his gear, he spoke, to no one in particular,

"Well, I'm no brilliant tactician, but whatever this one tells us I think we should push on to Oleg's. It's part of our orders, and mayhap we can find out more about whatever mad deer king's roamin' these woods."

"Oh! And could be there's a reward for turning in any bandit scum what we've done for..." Gareth trails off, counting bodies and wondering whether to collect ears or heads.

• Options
    Arifyn rose and scratched his neatly trimmed curtain beard, newly stained with blood. "Oleg is keeping his promise? It seems Oleg has made some deals with a nefarious element. I do hope he hasn't sold us out. If he is involved with this Kressel or Stag Lord, we may yet face even more challenges." He moved along, stretching and massaging his shoulder. Stopping next to smith, he patted the iron man and looked up at the face. "I must say, my curious metal friend, you did rather well that fight. I will have to sketch you, at some point. A rather curious thing you are."

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "Wise, very wise Jasper! Would you like some water from my waterskin? Where did you guys meet this Kressle woman? Who was she, what did she look like? Did she mention anything else about Oleg or The Stag Lord?"

Jasper licks his parched lips. "If it be so kind?" Jasper asks. After Arifyn offers some water to the bandit, he thinks for a moment on the Warlock's questions.

"We ran into Kressle's gang two or so weeks ago 'ere in the path to Oleg. Said we had to stay put, ambush any caravans comin' from Oleg, and inspect em. Said she made a 'offer' to this here Oleg fellow that he couldn't refuse. She just wanted to make sure he followed it through, I guess? As fer Oleg 'imself, never met the man meself. But I 'eard he's the only trader this side of the Greenbelt."

"As fer Kressle herself, did I mention she's a wildfire? Got quite a tongue on her, she has. She's quite small fer a lady, althoguh she's definitely no Halfling for sure, but it's easy to spot her, since she's the one who always carries two hatchets with her. Got black hair too, if I recall correctly. Just don't cross her, or it's off with yer 'ead."

Matthew:
    History Check: Success

You seem to recall a former child bandit hailing from the River Kingdoms fitting Jasper's description. The person in particular was basically raised to be a bandit since her birth, and alongside her family, robbed many a caravan, before moving to another spot to avoid the patrols. It was only a few years ago that her bandit group got ambushed themselves, that the child bandit fled, never to be heard of again...

"As fer this 'ere Stag Lord, no, she didn't tell me much, other than that he OWNS the Greenbelt, whatever good owning anythin' means 'ere in the Stolen Lands. Could be 'her lover, could be her boss. I really got no clue."

"Jasper, my good friend the Judicial is quite correct that you are in a good deal of trouble. You can see this either as a setback or as an opportunity. I can see that you are an enterprising individual. If you come with us, I'm sure we could find a use for a man with your talents."

Diplomacy check: Failed

Jasper nearly bounds from the proposition. "Beggin' yer pardon, Lord, but I'd rather just mind if you'd like to just untie me and see me off. I've 'ad enough of banditry to last a lifetime, and with Brevoy out of the question, I'd rather 'ide somewhere in Greenbelt, if it pleases ya? I jus' wanna be left alone! I won't cause any trouble, I promise!" Jasper pleads.

Matthew, Arifyn:
    Passive Insight: Success
    Jasper seems to be sincere with his remark about giving up on banditry. It's clear from his tone he wasn't really given a choice on joining the former bandit group.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Arifyn walked back to Jasper after thinking over his words. "Inspect Oleg for what? Surely she gave you some idea of what you were looking for? What exactly is it?"

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    "We let you go and you say you'll cause no trouble," Smith murmurs before leaning in close to the former bandit. "But what will this Kressle or Stag Lord think? A group of dead bandits, one survivor, and nothing to show of it? Such an equation does not have a positive result for you, surely."
    Intimidation check: 1d20 + 1 = 13

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "Inspect Oleg for what? Surely she gave you some idea of what you were looking for? What exactly is it?"

Jasper merely shrugs.

"Said we had to check for the 'usual' stuff. Trade goods. Furs. Equipment. That sort of thing."

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Matthew also walked back towards Jasper, "Where in the forest did you meet this Kressle woman? Where has your band been hiding out before this?"

• Options
    Gareth frowns at Jasper. Several conflicting emotions cross his face, and then he settles on a hard look.

"If'n one of ye want to take the man along, he's yer responsibility. I'll have nothing to do with him."

Stepping closer to Jasper and letting his hammer swing loosely, he continues in a whisper,

"It 'twere up to me, I'd smash yer head in like all the rest of these thieving bastards and be done with ye. I don't like loose ends."

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Dhyrn responded to Nemo, "Him? Turn on me? He didn't turn on his numbskull leader before, and he's just a bunch of meat now. He even agreed to be bait! He's loyal to a strong blade."

The gnoll snarled at Jasper and asserted, "I can handle him!"

He considered Gareth's suggestion and agreed, "Otherwise it's like he says, survivors are bad. They tattle."

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Arifyn crouched back down next to Jasper. The warlock smiled at the bandit. Tok had made up his mind. The man seemed sincere, a lost soul swept up in wrongful elements. He needed a chance. He would still serve justice, of course and most Brevoy laws would force the man to serve the King as debt. The Lesser Judicial stretched out his hands at the man.

"Jasper, I believe I have decided on a proper judgement for you. I believe you when you tell me that you joined this group under pressure, as I believe that you do not wish to return to this life. I believe you can be reformed into a true, righteous citizen. However, you must still serve justice. Bahamut is a kind and loving god but he is demanding and fair. You have committed woeful grievances, Jasper and you must atone. I cannot return you to Brevoy for a just sentence but I will not let these men harm you either. Freedom is not an option. To let justice suffer such a lapse is not acceptable. I also have your well-being to consider and setting you free in this Greenbelt is certain death, Jasper. Once Kressel understands that you and your men have failed, she seek retribution. Death is not justice for you, and death is what I give if I release you in these woods."

"No, Jasper. Service is the way to you. You have a debt to pay to us, for helping inflict such damage to us as well as aiding in the death of these men around you. Our dear friend the Gnoll has a point. You will work for us and assist us, until deemed complete your service and removed the threat of Kressel is. I will ensure no harm falls to you in this group as long as you remain true. You will receive food and water and be treated fairly as one would in this position. You will be protected and serve us faithfully. Do you understand, Jasper?"
    Diplomacy: 1d20+4 20 Haha, finally nice roles. That should work, right?

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    "We let you go and you say you'll cause no trouble," Smith murmurs before leaning in close to the former bandit. "But what will this Kressle or Stag Lord think? A group of dead bandits, one survivor, and nothing to show of it? Such an equation does not have a positive result for you, surely."

Smith:
    Intimidation Check: Failure

Jasper gathers what conviction he could muster. "Wha' will they know of? I'll be long gone by then! Greenbelt's a big place! Doubt that Stag Lord or Kressle knows where everythin' is! There's gotta be a place fer someone like me to hide!"

"Jasper, I believe I have decided on a proper judgement for you. I believe you when you tell me that you joined this group under pressure, as I believe that you do not wish to return to this life. I believe you can be reformed into a true, righteous citizen. However, you must still serve justice. Bahamut is a kind and loving god but he is demanding and fair. You have committed woeful grievances, Jasper and you must atone. I cannot return you to Brevoy for a just sentence but I will not let these men harm you either. Freedom is not an option. To let justice suffer such a lapse is not acceptable. I also have your well-being to consider and setting you free in this Greenbelt is certain death, Jasper. Once Kressle understands that you and your men have failed, she seek retribution. Death is not justice for you, and death is what I give if I release you in these woods."

"No, Jasper. Service is the way to you. You have a debt to pay to us, for helping inflict such damage to us as well as aiding in the death of these men around you. Our dear friend the Gnoll has a point. You will work for us and assist us, until deemed complete your service and removed the threat of Kressle is. I will ensure no harm falls to you in this group as long as you remain true. You will receive food and water and be treated fairly as one would in this position. You will be protected and serve us faithfully. Do you understand, Jasper?"

Arifyn:
    Diplomacy Check: Success

The bandit, finally losing his determination, finally sighs and resigns. "Well... the way you put it, what choice do I 'ave? *sigh* Very 'ell then. I give! Ya need a pack mule, I'm yer man! Them bandits taught me some survival skills too, which was surprising considering how inept they were at following a map! Maybe that'll help ya lot out 'ere in the Greenbelt!"

Jasper squirms within the knotted rope that kept him tied.

"Umm.... a lil' help?" he asks.

Jasper joins the party!

Jasper, the Deserter :
    A tall, lanky man, Jasper fled the life of a House Surtovan guardsman. With no loyalty (or protection) to be found in Brevoy, Jasper decided to take his chances in the Stolen Lands then face an execution. Sadly, his terrible luck got him involved with a bandit group...

Party bonus: A natural survivor and a simple scout, Jasper can offer a +4 skill bonus whenever a PC rolls for Nature (Considered an Aid Another Action). Can only be used once a day.
    "Where in the forest did you meet this Kressle woman? Where has your band been hiding out before this?"

Jasper merely shrugs. "Somewhere just outta this here forest. Me best guess is Kressle comes from some'ere deeper in the Greenbelt, maybe past them open fields. As fer me, I 'joined' the mob when they ambushed me. Even I had guessed they were a small lot. Still, it only takes one ta kill me. Me guess is they too were lost till Kressle's mob showed up."

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    "Well, welcome aboard Jasper. I think it's time we paid Oleg a visit and figured out what's going on around here."

• Options
    Grumbling as he unties Jasper, Gareth agrees with Matthew.

"Aye, let's move on. Nothing to be gained here, I suppose."

• Options
    "Serve 'us'?" Dhyrn noted, "If I have to share him then I'm not paying anything."

The gnoll counted his things and made sure he had everything for which he was personally responsible, and he urged everyone to hurry, "Let's go, let's go! I want to sleep at an inn tonight."

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    "Agreed," Smith says as he relaxes his hold on his sword. "Now that that's settled, we should make haste to Oleg's."

• Options
    edited February 2013
    With a new ally in tow, the heroes set off, leaving the wagon (as well as the slain bandits) to its fate. Destinies (and fortunes) were to be made at Oleg's Trading Fort. By the time they reached the edge of the forest, the sun was setting at the edge of the horizon, and the heroes were greeted with a change of scenery: hilly and rolling grasslands as far as the eye could see, with a large forest at the edge of the western horizon. It was mostly featureless, save for the one large structure a few further miles west of them.

In the distance, they spot the large, wooden fortress; it's palisades strutting outwards as though holding the wilds of the Greenbelt at bay. It stood as a stark contrast amongst the empty, rolling grasslands it was built on. The old road beckoned them towards the wooden fortress.

Chapter1_zps6363ac6d.jpg

They had finally arrived at Oleg's Trading Post...

End of Prologue

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Chapter 1: Trouble at Oleg's...

The sun had long since set by the time the heroes arrived at Oleg's proper. Oleg's Trading post appeared to once have been a border fort. A ten foot tall wooden palisade surrounded the compound with four , twenty foot tall towers, one standing at each corner of the fort. As you approached the fort you spot what appears to be a catapult on top of each tower. However, even Gareth realized they were worn down, that they were in no condition to be fired, and that repairing them would take many weeks of hard, intense work. The fortress only had one entrance though: a large, 30 foot wide, wooden gate at the front could be seen. The front gate was a pair of heavy wooden doors that were (and still are) ajar. As the heroes approached the wooden gate, they can hear the banging of a hammer on nails as someone seems to be working or repairing something within the trading post.

As the heroes enter the fort, they are greeted with a view of the interior of the fort. Four sturdy, wooden buildings dominate the trading post's market yard. The western most one is a single story stable, with open stalls, bales of hay, and other obvious signs of livery here. A solitary horse's head peeks out from a nearby stall as the heroes entered through the front gates. It neighs lazily at the heroes (more likely at the oddities such as Smith or Dhyrn) before returning back to grazing on the single bale of hay it was given.

Straight ahead of them is a small, fenced-in wooden area. The low fence has a gate in it, and the roof over the top likely keeps the rain mostly off any good stored under it. Even Gareth could spot the pen to be devoid of anything.

To the right is a long low building. It appears to be a dull but well kept building.

The fourth building is the largest and most well kept of the lot, and from there the banging originates. Looking ahead the heroes spot a man on a ladder nailing on some new shingles to the roof. He had sweated from the effort in the heat of the day, and appears that he is completing any remaining chores he has left. He grabs another nearby shingle and begins banging it into place, completely oblivious to the heroes' arrival. As for the building itself, it is a squat stout wooden thing with a chimney sticking up off the back of it. A set of strong looking wooden double doors marks the entrance into the main building, one door is propped open right now to let some air flow in and out.

The yard itself has a large wagon parked near he stables, and a few tables are positioned near a fire pit for trading and outdoor use.

Map of Oleg's:
    OlegHidden1_zps93121cbb.jpg

OOC:
    And welcome to Chaper 1 folks! It’s a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check to scale the walls of the palisade.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Matthew smiled as he entered the trading post. While it lacked the niceties of the old Marsh and Sons, the marks of traders and wagons were still present. For the first time since the bandit's attack, Matthew felt himself relax.

"Hello friend! We are looking for Oleg, a hot meal and a warm bed. Not necessarily in that order."

• Options
    Arifyn paused behind Matthew, letting him talk initially. His feet were hurting, these boots the trader sold him that were "enchanted to ease one's feet every hour of a day!" had decidedly given up halfway through the walk and now resorted to simple crushing sensations. Never trust a tiefling getting barred from a city. Arifyn grinned ruefully at himself as he shifted weight. At least they were finally here. He just wanted to soak his feet now...

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Dhyrn disliked forts. His tribe had avoided them, and the wooden palisades here reminded him of his imprisonment. This was also, as far as he could tell, a human trading post, and regardless of his 'reformation,' the gnoll expected humans to be at best suspicious of him. Of course, Dhyrn was suspicious of the inhabitants in turn, and he watched for trouble.
    Perception Check
    1d20 + 8: 11 + 8 = 19

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    The man on the ladder turns as he hears Matthew.

"Looking for Oleg, eh? Look no further, for here I am! Bwhahahaha!" The man bellows, before wiping his hands and sets down his hammer. Gruffly he climbs down from the ladder and picks up the nearby towel to pat the sweat from his brow. He is a middle aged man, well muscled, but by no means a powerhouse. Long mutton chop sideburns come down from his full head of hair almost to his chin.

Oleg:
    Oleg_zps68de1273.jpg

"Name's Oleg Leveton, and welcome to my modest trading post here in the Greenbelt. Who might you all be?"

There is a worried half scowl look on his face as he gets a good look at your group, especially at the looks of Dhyrn, Smith, Jasper and even Gareth.

Dhyrn:
    Perception Check: Success
    Other than the horse and Oleg, you could hear the presence of another human in the fort.

• Options
    Smith steps forward, a slap of hand outstretched in greeting as he stands up straight before the man. There is something all too earnest about how the Warforged approaches this, as if he has only ever had the opportunity to practice in front of a mirror.

"Good day to you, Mr. Leveton. My designated name is Smith, no surname or title attached. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," with his other hand, Smith gestures towards the rest of the group. "The group I am travelling with would be grateful to seek rest and information about the surrounding area. Personally, I require only the latter."

• Options
    Matthew smiles as the warforged introduces himself.

"As my companion has said, it is information that we truly seek. The Lord-Mayor of Restov has assured us of your honorable intentions. Another man might think your dealings with Kressle would call this into question. As a fellow trader, I understand how those with power attempt to gain their way with us. I, too, have been threatened at the end of a crossbow. Help us, and we may be able to help you."

• Options
    edited February 2013
    It was too quiet. Dhyrn stepped toward the back of the group, leaned over near Nemo, and half-whispered to the halfling, "There's nobody here! Just two guys and a horse. I thought there would be traders here trading things. There aren't any whores, either."

The gnoll seemed particularly disappointed by the latter observation. Bored of introductions and not bothering to introduce himself, Dhyrn plopped down on his rump and played with the lock that secured his chest of goods. There was no key, but Dhyrn had become so practiced with opening this particular lock that he could do so with only his claws. It clacked open and he snapped it shut, repeating the simple amusement for the time being.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    "And I believe somebody mentioned food? I could certainly use with a meal or three."

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Gatsby wrote: »
    "Good day to you, Mr. Leveton. My designated name is Smith, no surname or title attached. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," with his other hand, Smith gestures towards the rest of the group. "The group I am traveling with would be grateful to seek rest and information about the surrounding area. Personally, I require only the latter."

Oleg gives a gruff, "Hrumph!", before clasping the iron man's extended hand. He shakes it vigorously (well, as much as any normal human could to a man that was meta land wood). Though the Warforged could lacked the sense of touch, anyone looking at the exchange saw Oleg has tough hands, blistered and calloused from all the hard work he's put into this place fixing it up.

"'Spose you're a bunch of travelers. I have some supplies you'd be interested in no doubt." He wipes the sweat off his hand after shaking Smith's hand as an after thought. "Rooms for rent too, and a stable for your friends." He glances at Matthew.
    "As my companion has said, it is information that we truly seek. The Lord-Mayor of Restov has assured us of your honorable intentions. Another man might think your dealings with Kressle would call this into question. As a fellow trader, I understand how those with power attempt to gain their way with us. I, too, have been threatened at the end of a crossbow. Help us, and we may be able to help you."

Oleg's face turns into a scowl. "Kressle? What's a Kressle? Some kind of bird or something? No Kressles here, no siree!"

Oleg places one large hand on Matthew's shoulder, moves his head closer to the wizard's ear, and whispers. "Not in the open like that! Never know if them bandits got spies. We'll talk more inside..."
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    "And I believe somebody mentioned food? I could certainly use with a meal or three."

Hoping someone would change the subject, Oleg removes his hand, claps them together, then turns around and shouts at the large building. "Svetlana, dear! We have guests tonight! The dinner almost ready yet?"

From out of the open door in the main building comes a woman about ten years younger than Oleg. She's a fine looking woman with wide hips and a look of the frontier on her; a good match for Oleg. "Oleg, dear! You did not tell me we had guests tonight!" She has a mixing bowl propped up against her belly where she's mixing up a floury dough. A smile on her face marks her personality as quite contradictory to that of Oleg, after seeing you all for the first time. "Come on in, there's a fine mutton stew brewing! The bread will take a while though..."

Svetlana:
    Sveltana_zps11465a2e.jpg

Oleg motions at the woman, "Svetlana Leveton, my wife, and the best cook for sixty miles in all the Greenbelt!" Which might not be a great an accomplishment considering that no one lives any where near the fort. "These good folk have come for some food, a bed, and to..." he looks at Matthew again, "..what was it you asked, some information... on birds?" Oleg winked.

Dhyrn:
    Passive Perception:
    You notice Sveltana is lacking or isn't wearing her wedding ring.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    "Oo, would you look at that? These folks are as whipped as our mule here!" Dhyrn laughed and pointed out Jasper as the mule, "This Kressle lady has them by the tail. I bet she took them for everything they had. I bet she took the people from this post. I bet she has their wedding rings, too!"

If the gnoll had raided the trading post, he would not have left anything behind, either. That was an issue, and Dhyrn inquired about the one point that confused, "Wait, why are they still here? Why didn't she take you and your horse? A horse is useful, and you two look like good workers."

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Frowning steadily, Gareth looked around the trading post, finding little of note. Staring up at the catapults, he wracked his mind for any memory he might have of some former mercenaries' stories of the Greenbelt and the trading post.
    History Check: 1d20+7=10

• Options
    Smith followed Gareth's gaze. He'd heard of many forts like this from his old master, been shown depictions of them in books and stories while under his tutelage. The Warforged began trying to trace back any mention of Greenbelt and the structures and forts that were scattered across it.
    History Check: 1d20 + 9 = 14