As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Way to automate this task? Excel? Notepad? Anything?

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
I need to compile subscriber database using a very messy, unformatted series of text and rtf files. Here is an example of some of the lines in the files:

Joe brown smith jbs@email.com
Bill's Towing btowing@email.com
Bradley brad@email.com

I basically want to create an excel sheet with 1 column for the e-mail address and 1 column for everything else. Is there a way to do this? I can fiddle with inserting commas and turning the file into a CSV, which would create columns, but that would involve me manually putting the comma in the right spot on each line. A 'find and replace' to change spaces to commas would add spaces between names, multi-word companies, etc.

Is there a formula I can use in excel? Maybe paste the whole shebang into a single column, use a formula to insert a comma in the first space from the right, then turn that into a CSV to create the column breaks?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This can be locked. I finally figured it out. I'll paste the formulas here in case anyone else wonders in the future:

I everything into excel, so each line was in its own row, single cell.

First, return everything before the last space in each cell, which is everything except the e-mail address:
    =LEFT(TRIM(A1),FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","~",LEN(TRIM(A1))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(A1)," ",""))))-1)

Paste that into column 1 of a new sheet.

Then, return the last "word" in each cell, which was the e-mail address:
    =IF(ISERROR(FIND(” “,A1)),A1,TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(“*”,SUBSTITUTE(A1,” “,”*”,LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,” “,”")))))))

Paste that into column 2 of the new sheet.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
This discussion has been closed.