As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To [Disney Infinity]...and beyond!

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm gonna have to ping a mod later to see if it's okay to list stuff here for sale. I'd rather pass it along to someone here that'll appreciate it than someone I don't know (And give 10% to eBay in the process.)

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Does anyone know who houses the user content? Are we at risk of having that vanish soon? Half the fun is downloading creations...

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The writing was sort of on the wall for this, since Disney did a drawdown of everything-but-Infinity and Avalanche before, when they shut down broader development after Epic Mickey 2 disappointed. It still feels kind of sudden, though.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I wonder if that Playmation stuff tanking was a factor.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Does anyone know who houses the user content? Are we at risk of having that vanish soon? Half the fun is downloading creations...

This is what I'm wondering too. We just bought this for our daughter for her birthday, and while it's very disappointing that there won't be new playsets to come for years like I had thought there would be, she mostly just likes to run around in the user created levels for 20 minutes and then is done with it for a while. So between the Inside Out and Dory playsets, and if the online creation stuff is still around for a while, then it will still be a worthwhile investment. And Maybe I should grab the Force Awakens set and some Star Wars figures incase my 2 year old son ends up getting into Star Wars.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I wonder if that Playmation stuff tanking was a factor.

In the announcement Disney officials said the first Infinity did "great" while the second one did "ok." I'm guessing the descriptor for sales of the third Infinity slid further down that scale.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I think the older playsets not working with each new version hurt Infinity.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    The whole pricing structure and how fractured content seemed really poorly thought out.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Man, if they could just squirt out one final playset that lets you use any character...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    If all figures had worked with all playsets across all three versions, Disney would have stolen Nintendo's money making machine.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    If all figures had worked with all playsets across all three versions, Disney would have stolen Nintendo's money making machine.

This is why I never got into it.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Little surprised that wasn't a goal from the beginning. Maybe it was a consequence of working with various different companies and changing things up? Ah well.

Maybe it would have also helped if, somehow, Infinity's Star Wars stuff could have hit at a different time all the other Star Wars stuff hit, so it would stand out more. But given the need to launch for Christmas I have no idea how that could have been pulled off.

• Options
    I think pricing got in the way too. For example, I didn't spend full price on anything in my collection, but after awhile even at discount prices it became cost prohibitive versus the gain in gameplay. I love Inside Out, but $35 for that gameplay wouldn't have been worth it, and $80 to get the set and the extra 3 emotions seems absolutely ludicrous to me. The figures are super nice, but "Toys to Life" makes it sound like they are toys, and they aren't they are little statues. Great for idiots like me, not great for longevity with kids.

The ideal would have been for the Star Wars infinity chips to be built into the proper Star Wars action figure line and actually be truly Toys to Life (with you buying the playset world only).

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I think pricing got in the way too. For example, I didn't spend full price on anything in my collection, but after awhile even at discount prices it became cost prohibitive versus the gain in gameplay. I love Inside Out, but $35 for that gameplay wouldn't have been worth it, and $80 to get the set and the extra 3 emotions seems absolutely ludicrous to me. The figures are super nice, but "Toys to Life" makes it sound like they are toys, and they aren't they are little statues. Great for idiots like me, not great for longevity with kids.

The ideal would have been for the Star Wars infinity chips to be built into the proper Star Wars action figure line and actually be truly Toys to Life (with you buying the playset world only).

This is precisely why I haven't understood why my friend has invested so much into Skylanders, Amiibo and Infinity. He says the price is good because he's buying them something in a game they like, AND a toy to play with, and the connection to see them in both worlds. Except, they're not terribly interesting toys for kids, being statues, and are too fragile so they don't get to actually play with them much/at all really anyway.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

This is precisely why I haven't understood why my friend has invested so much into Skylanders, Amiibo and Infinity. He says the price is good because he's buying them something in a game they like, AND a toy to play with, and the connection to see them in both worlds. Except, they're not terribly interesting toys for kids, being statues, and are too fragile so they don't get to actually play with them much/at all really anyway.

Anecdotally, when my friends and relatives bring their kids over, our Infinity figure collection keeps them occupied for a lot longer than you'd expect. Kids don't really need articulation or action features for them to maintain interest if their imaginations are better than a stump's. Just my experience, though. On the other hand, they had no interest in playing the actual game, so take that for what you will.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Little surprised that wasn't a goal from the beginning. Maybe it was a consequence of working with various different companies and changing things up? Ah well.

I remember a lot of the early advertising for 1.0 being along the lines of "All your favorite characters together." It's a shame that turned out to be only in the Toy Box.

Something else that wasn't doing DI any favors was the initial attempts at "collectability", with crystal figures and blind bags for power discs. I was never interested in either of those.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    *waits for boba fett and stitch to be $2*

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    *waits for boba fett and stitch to be $2*

You could probably sell of the other stuff and get Stitch for free.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »

Man, when I was a kid, my Mario and Zelda toy options were pretty much limited to unposable figurines. And if I wanted Mega Man or others? Forget that.

Just to play out SMB3 stuff, I had to make my own "figures" out of drawings on paper stuck to a cardboard backing.

It's a great time for kids to be fans of Nintendo characters now, what with World of Nintendo and all. Figuarts and the like, too, if your parents are loaded.

In that regard, I can see both how kids can have fun with TTL figures, but also how there are better toy options out there.

Disney is in a similar boat, whereas Skylanders really isn't. It's TTL or nothing.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I'm thinking about selling my stuff too - mostly out of fear that the servers will go down. My theory is that the servers must be Disney maintained with staff since I never seem to hit a level of weiners and butts and curse words. I doubt they'll keep that up much beyond the Dory sets.

I'll probably keep a few (at least Stitch, maybe Merida) for display though.

• Options
    I'm just glad I was able to use Infinity to snag a Wreck-It-Ralph. The vanilla Wreck-It-Ralph merch vanished quickly.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    A co-worker is gonna loan me the Battlegrounds playset. The regular playsets are kinda "one and done" for me, but I'm curious if the multi in Battlegrounds is something worth keeping in rotation. If so, I may pick up a few more Marvel characters, but I'm definitely getting rid of the Star Wars stuff as I finish the sets.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    The whole pricing structure and how fractured content seemed really poorly thought out.

Yeah. Pricing on this game always seemed a little bananas. There's the collectors who at up to invest in the figures they like, whether it's Funko pops or Infinity or whatever, but arguably it's just too much money for a lot of families when they're competing with every other toy in the aisles at target

And after you plunked down money for a handful of figures, the next version comes out and you essentially start over from scratch?

Kind of not surprising

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

Yeah. Pricing on this game always seemed a little bananas. There's the collectors who at up to invest in the figures they like, whether it's Funko pops or Infinity or whatever, but arguably it's just too much money for a lot of families when they're competing with every other toy in the aisles at target

And after you plunked down money for a handful of figures, the next version comes out and you essentially start over from scratch?

Kind of not surprising

They were really really hoping that the Toybox would be the main attraction, and if it was all of your figures are still good. They realized way too late that I don't care if the combo makes no sense, my kids want to take Rapunzel and Spider-Man on an adventure together, and very few people are creative enough to make a satisfying version of that in the toybox.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Kind of not surprising

To be fair, you really didn't start entirely from scratch. There were only multiples of one character (Cap) and sort of Mickey (one Sorcerer's Apprentice, one normal). The thing you couldn't do was play the 2.0 playsets in 3.0 (or 1.0 in 2.0/3.0) - you could put the playset on in the toybox and unlock the parts, but not play the actual story. Characters always worked in the next version (I think, unless Cars had some compatibility issues).

I guess I'm just feeling less motivated to play enough to unlock parts and powers if I don't know how long I'll be able to share and download. Part of me wants to not care and buy the rest of the toys and be happy but it feels sort of like buying DLC for Madden 2013 at this point.

• Options
    jclast wrote: »

Kind of not surprising

They were really really hoping that the Toybox would be the main attraction, and if it was all of your figures are still good. They realized way too late that I don't care if the combo makes no sense, my kids want to take Rapunzel and Spider-Man on an adventure together, and very few people are creative enough to make a satisfying version of that in the toybox.

Their worlds. Your imagination. No rules.*

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I grabbed the Force Awakens set just in case it becomes hard to find. 90% of my time in the game is spent with my son who is happy just spawning a bunch of bad guys in the levels I build for him. So we'll be holding onto everything. The enjoyment he's still getting out of them means if I see any deep discounts on anything I don't already own I'll probably grab them.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Reading what could've been for Disney Infinity 4.0 is disheartening. Story mode where I can use anyone? Come on, that's all I really wanted.

This sucks. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I kinda want an Ant-Man figure just to have one, but since I'm winding down playing the game itself (and haven't played much of 3.0 at all, unfortunately) I feel like I should just pick up a standard figure instead of a Disney Infinity one instead.

I also kinda want Judy and Nick because the character designs are so nice, but I think I'll probably pass on those. Same goes for Sam Flynn...nice design and I loved Tron Legacy but I think I'll probably just pass on it. Phooey.

Unfortunately none of the Star Wars characters really mean anything to me, nor do any of the Marvel ones.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I kinda want an Ant-Man figure just to have one, but since I'm winding down playing the game itself (and haven't played much of 3.0 at all, unfortunately) I feel like I should just pick up a standard figure instead of a Disney Infinity one instead.

I also kinda want Judy and Nick because the character designs are so nice, but I think I'll probably pass on those. Same goes for Sam Flynn...nice design and I loved Tron Legacy but I think I'll probably just pass on it. Phooey.

Unfortunately none of the Star Wars characters really mean anything to me, nor do any of the Marvel ones.

Hey, if they get clearanced out, they may be a cheaper option than Hasbro's.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I will still buy all of the figures that I find interesting.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm surprised they just didn't do away with the figure aspect and go straight to DLC integration. You want Boba Fett, pay 10 bucks and now he's playable in everything. Honestly i wouldn't be surprised if that is what resurfaces, production cost/net worth of the physical goods is probably just not there, but the characters themselves have value and in a digital form it makes sense. Battle Grounds didn't require you to keep the characters on the stand, you just scanned them in once and then they were available in the roster.

• Options
    I think that would have led to a lot of Street Fighter style complaining about "why aren't all the characters included?"

Actual figures at least add some value for the cost.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »

This is why I never got into it.

I have 3 daughters 4-10 and this was a constant issue. "I want to play as Elsa", well you cant because everyone rlse wants to play star wars. "I want to play cars" well you cant unless you go into the other room because wr only have one xbox 360 we are using as a netflix box in the bedroom and I cant afford to buy a seperate console to put in the man room just because they never bothered to port disney infinity 1.0 to xbox one.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    "I want to play cars" well you cant unless you go into the other room because wr only have one xbox 360 we are using as a netflix box in the bedroom and I cant afford to buy a seperate console to put in the man room
    ...is that really a big deal? when I was growing up "go play it on the smaller tv in the bedroom" was the answer to wanting to play literally any game

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    ...is that really a big deal? when I was growing up "go play it on the smaller tv in the bedroom" was the answer to wanting to play literally any game

Growing up all my game consoles were in the den/spare room. I never got to hook them up to my parents TV in the living room.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Ken O wrote: »

Growing up all my game consoles were in the den/spare room. I never got to hook them up to my parents TV in the living room.

Nor would I have wanted to.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    My 7 year old daughter was devastated this morning when I told her they were cancelling Infinity. She really likes SW (We have all SW playsets and most of the figures, as well as Marvel BG and Inside Out + all Emotions). I still enjoy playing these games with her, so I'm wondering what people would recommend as far as the other collectible playset games go. We do not and probably will not have a Nintendo of any sort, so that one is out. How does Skylanders rate? Are there others that are better?

Thanks for any input.

Also in case it hasn't been mentioned, Walmart (in my area anyway) has 3.0 SW figures for $6 brand new.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    If she likes LEGO games at all the kits look fun to build in Dimensions. The gameplay inside (judging from the Giant Bomb quick look) is more akin to other LEGO games than Infinity was. And you get to play around with Ghostbuster, Back to the Future, and Scooby-Doo which, on one hand, is cool, but on the other probably means I'll never see a LEGO Scooby-Doo.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Well, you can at least watch the new movie.