As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You're an animator. You want $2000 AND a Cintiq 12WX. No, you can't just HAVE it...

DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
edited January 2013 in Social Entropy++
Hey guys,
With permission from the most elegant @Bombardier, this is a quick post inviting any and all to a competition for animators, with a chance to win $2000 plus a Wacom Cintiq 12WX graphics tablet.

If you know any designers/ animators who might be interested in throwing their hat into the ring, it would be great if you could point them in this direction!

The compo is hosted by an Irish not-for-profit venture, called iheed, aiming to improve global healthcare provision by producing short 2-minute animations that will be used to train health workers in developing countries. iheed operates globally, and is working with international partners including USAID and the Red Cross, to roll out training to help upskill workers and help the 1 billion people who currently have no access to any form of health worker.

Content is made via crowd-sourcing compeititions, where animators download a brief, created by iheed's in-house medical and global health experts, then competitively submit a storyboard. These are then judged by a panel, and the best submissions are chosen to enter the final round of the competition and develop into full animations. The top 3 win cash prizes, and publicity for themselves/ their studios via iheed, and significant runners-up may also receive prizes too.

Here's an example of a previous competition winner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S90cCsbANUE
[Edited for less boobs. Don't ask.]

Anyway, the current competition is open, and is to develop an animation on diagnosing meningitis, which is a big concern in developing countries, and can fatally affect anybody, but especially children. The deadline for this one is February 3rd, but there will be another competition opening very soon!

Disclaimer: i am an unpaid intern at iheed. Neither i, nor iheed itself will make profit from this competition.

LINKS!!!

The most magnificent of current competitions

iheed

iheed's blog

DusT_HounD on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Damn. I know so much about breastfeeding now. Also there are so many boobs in the related videos tile once that one ends.. don't leave this shit running at work and walk away.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Crap- i titally totally didn't realise that would happen. Er, think i'll change the vid...
    Also, i have nothing against boobs, but don't want anyone to get in trouble at work! Sorry JAEF!

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I'm currently unemployed. Because of this video. You're in the clear... for now.

If meningitis appeared in the penis I'm sure you'd have a greater amount of interest from SE. This seems cool though, good luck getting folks.

• Options
    Thanks JAEF! It's already attracted interest from some far-flung parts of the globe, and i thought it'd be nice to share with my favourite online community! Hope there are some animators among us that would like to have a go. I always felt it's a great way to get the design community directly involved in international development work, where previously there had not really been a specific route to do so.

Having reviewed some of the past entries, the level of creativity coming out is brilliant- if you have any interest, please do check back on the site soon- the last competition has wrapped up production, so the resulting vids will be up shortly!