As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D&D [Book] Thread

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I can't stand Butcher's writing style. He absolutely can't separate himself, and that Internet-influenced thing you're talking about, from his narrator. Self insertion is almost too mild a term, here.

That and the DnD-player-turned-writer plotting just kills it for me.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I think it was a Dresden Files book where the protagonist literally describes themselves as wearing black reeboks and a duster

And I wasn't sure whether that was pandering or the author genuinely thought that was cool

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Brust is better if you want pulpy stuff

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    So my friend got me to pick the Dresden files as light reading between heavier stuff. I really liked the first one and halfway through the second has been really enjoyable but every single time, and maybe this is just the Internet ruining me, he does one of those "maybe sexist but I believe in chivalry" things every time a woman is on page I get pissed off at the author, because it just reads like Tumblr Nice Guy (tm) bullshit self insertion and nothing natural to the character.

He gets somewhat better about at least trying to write human female characters later

Contrary to what some fans will try to claim though, he definitely never gets good at it, and every few books he has another foray into "oh christ is butcher really doin' this again?" ignorant sexism

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I really need some good, creepy horror. Non-King, please.

I want something that really instills a sense of dread and makes me think about creepy stuff long after I have put the book down. John Dies at the End was a little too in-your-face and humorous, in my opinion. I don't mind gore/gruesome descriptions/etc. but JDatE was a little too over the top to truly be frightening. House of Leaves is a little too meta and obtuse; I'd prefer something that isn't quite so dense and involved.

Horror/Thriller I guess is sort of what I'm looking for.

I was kinda scared at the first part of heart-shaped box by joe hill (who is stephen king's son) and enjoyed the book overall

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    finished the sisters brothers by patrick dewitt

it's a spare, kind of casually brutal western that follows the adventures of a pair of killer brothers

I enjoyed and would recommend

almost done with accelerando by charles stross (which is FREE at his website http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html) and I like it, although it feels more like a novelization of a ray kurzweil futurist presentation than a novel per se, to me

full of crazy ideas that seem a little less so if you think about 'em a bit, and does a nice job of drawing the thread of progress from near future into the more bizarre

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    finished the sisters brothers by patrick dewitt

it's a spare, kind of casually brutal western that follows the adventures of a pair of killer brothers

I enjoyed and would recommend

almost done with accelerando by charles stross (which is FREE at his website http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html) and I like it, although it feels more like a novelization of a ray kurzweil futurist presentation than a novel per se, to me

full of crazy ideas that seem a little less so if you think about 'em a bit, and does a nice job of drawing the thread of progress from near future into the more bizarre

The Sister Brothers was pretty neat. Newish take on the genre and a little Blood Meridian-ish too.

Stross has a lot of writings on the Singularity Skippy. He very much is not a believer like Kurzweil . Which he elaborates on at his blog (antipope)

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm halfway through Railsea and oh my god it's so good.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    _Bird__Bird_ Registered User regular
    I picked up Defenders by Will McIntosh (because I spotted it on sale for $1.99 on Kindle, which it still is as of today) and it was amazing. Really excellent military sci fi.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm halfway through Railsea and oh my god it's so good.

Solid one that.

Just started Sebastien De Castell's Traitors Blade, and it looks like it's just what I was in the mood for - a version of the Musketeers with a bit of magic on the side. I think this is his debut, but it doesn't show. Some fast paced writing, good characterisation, and the odd swordfight are already combining to make this one a quick, exciting read. More when done!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Finished off Stranger in a Strange Land. It's a shame that the premise is actually less interesting than the way they set up the premise.

I presume it was shocking at the time but now it just seems odd that despite really pushing the idea of "progressive" it still gets a bit tangled up when it comes to homosexuality and sexual discrimination was so ingrained that it was impossible to imagine a system of living without it.

Still, it's always nice to read old sci-fi for the flying cars and lack of internet.

I moved on to Sand by the chap who wrote Wool next. Which seems to be about the Earth being covered in sand and people who go searching through the ruins of old cities. Similar fluff to Wool so far, I'm a bit concerned that some of the setting hasn't been thought through properly though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    finished a feast for crows

good to know there was a payoff at the end of that turd

will start a dance this weekend

also, if i wanted in on mieville, is railsea the place to begin?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

It's as good as any, yeah. If you're more of an SF person then you might prefer Embassytown.

Just an FYI: Meiville is extremely fond of his capitalised Neologism Nouns to describe the races, creatures and monsters in his books, and he doesn't give two shits if you dont like them.

Also he's an unreprentant communist and he doesn't care if you don't like that either.

Kind of like when reading Gene Wolfe's Book Of The New Sun, you have to be OK with 'Latinic' names and overt religious themes.

So anyway if you're OK with lots of made up names and left-wing politics (I am), then you'll probably enjoy his books (I do, a lot). If you're not, then you're gonna have a bad time.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Noooo.

That's my least favourite.

Either Embassytown if you want some intellectual SF of a vaguely Ursula K Le Guin vibe and lots of linguistics.

Or The Scar for a right rolicking sea adventure with scary monsters and scads of originality.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    By least favourite you mean you still like it right? Because GIENT MORLES!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I started Mievielle with Perdido Street Station and loved it. The Scar might've been a better starting point, but eh. City and the City would also be excellent.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »

Noooo.

That's my least favourite.

Either Embassytown if you want some intellectual SF of a vaguely Ursula K Le Guin vibe and lots of linguistics.

Or The Scar for a right rolicking sea adventure with scary monsters and scads of originality.

I think Kraken was more accessible since it's nominally set in modern day and I love that kind of setting.

Though referring to Embassytown as akin to Le Guin is spot on now that you mention it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I finished Lies of Locke Lamora. I actually read the second one first but wanted to see how it all began.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Embassytown: Mieville + LeGuin
    Kraken: Mieville + Neil Gaiman
    The City & The City: Mieville + Kafka

Kind of.

• Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I finished Lies of Locke Lamora. I actually read the second one first but wanted to see how it all began.

That's... that's probably not a bad way to do it at all.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm rereading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. This book is waaaay better than I remembered.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    japan wrote: »
    I think it was a Dresden Files book where the protagonist literally describes themselves as wearing black reeboks and a duster

And I wasn't sure whether that was pandering or the author genuinely thought that was cool

I always thought it was meant to show Dresden was kind of a weirdo/slob. I don't think it was meant to be a cool look.
    _________

I finished Word of Radiance which enjoyed quite a bit more than Way of Kings. I'm almost done with book 2 in the Gunslinger / Dark Tower series. I like it but I definitely could do without all the ridiculous language that comes out of Detta Walker's mouth.

After that I think I'll have to lighten things up with another Ankh-Morpork city guards book by Pratchett before moving on to Gunslinger #3.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I always thought it was meant to show Dresden was kind of a weirdo/slob. I don't think it was meant to be a cool look.
    _________

I finished Word of Radiance which enjoyed quite a bit more than Way of Kings. I'm almost done with book 2 in the Gunslinger / Dark Tower series. I like it but I definitely could do without all the ridiculous language that comes out of Detta Walker's mouth.

After that I think I'll have to lighten things up with another Ankh-Morpork city guards book by Pratchett before moving on to Gunslinger #3.

Yea one of the Dresden files themes is that Dresden is a man outside of time when it comes to pop culture and he knows it. There have been MANY self disparaging jokes that he has made about his clothing options, among other things.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Started Wizard's First Rule and gave it the requisite 100 pages. Quick question: does the story get good enough that it's worth pushing through the fairly poor writing?

It seems like a book I would have loved when it first came out and I was 14. I'm 34, though. I don't want to waste time on it if there's better stuff I could be reading. Like Hyperion, which is calling to me from my bookshelf.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    nathanael wrote: »
    Started Wizard's First Rule and gave it the requisite 100 pages. Quick question: does the story get good enough that it's worth pushing through the fairly poor writing?

It seems like a book I would have loved when it first came out and I was 14. I'm 34, though. I don't want to waste time on it if there's better stuff I could be reading. Like Hyperion, which is calling to me from my bookshelf.

:lol:

God no. It only gets worse and worse and worse till it becomes fantasy Atlas Shrugged.

shryke on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Hyperion is one of my favourite science fiction books ever. Maybe just books in general. It is really good.

Meanwhile, Terry Goodkind's work, judging from the excerpts I've seen people make fun of on the internet, is, yes, fantasy Atlas Shrugged. You'll have to be a pretty hardcore Objectivist/Libertarian to stomach the writing. And the evil chicken. And the evil peace rally.

• Options
    It actually starts as a crappy fantasy that was just written by exactly the kind of person you'd expect to be an objectivist. Then it becomes a Wheel of Time ripoff for awhile. It's only around book ... 5 I think where it starts to really go off the rails and the stories stop being fantasy stories and start being stories about the human spirit and it's need to obey Ayn Rand. Also, noble goats and evil chickens.

And all throughout it's full of titillating and trashy almost and not-so-almost rape and "righteous" (read: bloodthirsty) violence.

• Options
    Ah. Well, that still sounds profoundly awful.

Don't read fantasy by other authors named Terry than Terry Pratchett, kids! Terry Brooks might not have the terrible politics but the one book I read, Sword of Shannara was ripping off Lord of the Rings to an almost comical extent (I mean, I caught it as a teenager and I wasn't really much of a critical reader).

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

Don't read fantasy by other authors named Terry than Terry Pratchett, kids! Terry Brooks might not have the terrible politics but the one book I read, Sword of Shannara was ripping off Lord of the Rings to an almost comical extent (I mean, I caught it as a teenager and I wasn't really much of a critical reader).

FWIW, Brook's less serious work (like Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold! ) is actually solid and pretty funny. I couldn't wrap myself around Shannara either though.

• Options

Terry Brooks wrote the same damn story so many times I think he's trying to do some kind of fractal storytelling. The original was alright if not terribly inspired. Then he made it into a trilogy that was the same story set over more books. Then he wrote a tetralogy with the same story. Then he wrote some more, again with the exact same story. He taught me that just because an author has one story that's interesting doesn't mean any of the rest of their work is going to be worth anything.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Don't read fantasy by other authors named Terry than Terry Pratchett, kids!

This is bad advice, kids. Dont get in his van, there is no candy!

OK, so, the problem with Fantasy is that it's super easy to shit out a 3+-volume series of utter bollocks and get published. And boy do lots of peope do this! But there is some high quality non-Pratchett writing in the Fantasy genre that people absolutely should read.

Gene Wolfe.
    Jack Vance.
    Sheri S Tepper.
    Mervyn Peake.
    Sussanah Clarke.
    Sean McMullen.
    Ian Macdonald.

To name but the first lucky seven eight I can see on my shelves from where I'm sitting now.

Does Charles Stross' Laundry series count as Fantasy? It has magic and monsters and zombies and unicorns* and (soon) vampires, so if that's not fantasy what do you even want?

So: Charles Stross. Nine non-Pratchett fantasy authors who are super well worth reading.

Oh wait: Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams. Go read that or else feel justifiably ashamed of yourself. Ten.

*Not the good kind of unicorns. The other kind.

V1m on
  • Options
    None of whom are named Terry.

• Options
    Also: Lord Dunsany (read his stuff while high or at least drunk)

• Options
    You know what else is actually extremely good reading if you're OK reading past gleefully paleolithic gender politics? The original Robert E Howard Conan stories.

• Options
    There is lots of fantasy I love! Including some of the ones on your list. My post was very specific and only concerned authors whose first name is Terry. What a useful, relevant rule eh?

Which is to say, omg lern 2 read noob!1!! (sorry)

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    You know what else is actually extremely good reading if you're OK reading past gleefully paleolithic gender politics? The original Robert E Howard Conan stories.

Also gleefully paleolithic racial politics too.

Good stories though.

• Options
    There is lots of fantasy I love! Including some of the ones on your list. My post was very specific and only concerned authors whose first name is Terry. What a useful, relevant rule eh?

Which is to say, omg lern 2 read noob!1!! (sorry)

Ah yeah well

sherry in the afternoon.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Embassytown: Mieville + LeGuin
    Kraken: Mieville + Neil Gaiman
    The City & The City: Mieville + Kafka

Kind of.

I thought Kraken was a pretty shameless Neverwhere ripoff honestly

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Finally finished my Memory, Sorrow and Thorn reread.

Fuck that takes forever. It's not even the length so much as something about his writing makes large parts of it the slog of slogs. And some parts of it, like essentially the entire second book, are pointless.

Overall, my opinion of it improved from when I last read it almost 20 years ago. It's got some interesting ideas and a few decent characters but it's also got very weak dialogue for the most part, the prose is mediocre and the pacing and plotting can be really really bad sometimes. It very much feels like a writer with some good ambitions but lacking the talent to pull them off.

It's really does seem like the quintessential proto-modern fantasy novel. It's also funny to see something so almost perfectly slotted in both time and style. You can how it would show the possibilities of the genre to better writers like GRRM. (it does feel like a stepping stone to ASOIAF in many ways)

shryke on
  • Options
    In case anyone still isn't aware, Tor has a whole bunch of free short stories and novellas on their site. This morning I was mostly reading Michael Swanwick;
    http://www.tor.com/bios/authors/michael-swanwick

This discussion has been closed.