As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Power Button is a Gonner

SiskaSiska ShortyRegistered User regular
The power button on my husbands decade old computer case has crumbled to bits. It's a Cooler Master Stacker 830. When contacting the manufacturer, they informed us that this model is discontinued and we can't get any part replacement from them. Hubby is currently starting his computer with the help of tweezers. Anyone have any idea where to find a replacement button that would work?

Picture of the disaster
PB1_zps98bb4659.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Well aside from getting a new case, you could probably just pick up a switch or button cheap at Radio Shack and wire it up and glue it to the case. Basically just a less silly version of the tweezer.
    At my old job I had a similar issue happen where I ended up cannibalizing the button from a dead computer with the same case. About two days later that button collapsed too.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    any momentary switch will work to power on the PC. You can buy a switch with the correct cable attached like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Power-Motherboard-Switch-Button/dp/B00345WH4A

or just solder a new switch onto the wires you already have

if that's too much work, see if the BIOS has a "Power on by Keyboard" option... that way you can set some key to work like a power button (i think this still works with USB keyboards? could be wrong)

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Power On by Keyboard/Mouse is a good option if the BIOS supports it. Otherwise, a new case might be a cheap option; However, that's a big case - how many drive bays is he using?

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    LasgarLasgar Registered User regular
    When the power button on my old case broke I solved it by unplugging it from the motherboard and plugging the reset button's cable into the spot for the power. They are basically the same type of button and at least on every case/motherboard I have worked on have the same size and spacing on their connection to the motherboard. The downside to this is you no longer have a reset button.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a new case. And if you're getting a new case, you may as well get a new power supply. And a new motherboard. And a new processor and some RAM. And a nice fast SSD. And a new graphics card, and a new monitor and a new keyboard and mouse and some new speakers and a new desk and...

Sorry, I got a little carried away!