As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take-Two to Jack Thompson: "Fuck you"

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
No, this actually is not about Phoenix Wright but it could prove to be just as entertaining. It is something of a sequel though like many other releases that we are seeing this year. Fans of the first conflict were not content to just see everything end there and there has been a lot of hype from people everywhere hoping for one of the parties involved to make this into a reoccurring series. Take-Two was the one to take the initiative here with a recent announcement that they made. Here is a preview of things to come:

taketwoimageox4.png VS thompsonimagekf8.png

Round Two: Rockstar Selects Weapon for the Inevitable

____________________________________________________________________________________

The Opening Salvo:

Take Two Sues Jack Thompson
And the publisher comes out swinging with haymakers!
By Dan Dormer, 03/16/2007

GamePolitics is reporting that the hunted has now become the hunter, as Take-Two has filed a lawsuit to prevent ol' JT from meddling with and potential blocking the sale of Grand Theft Auto IV and Manhunt 2 when they release later this year.

Take-Two outlines in the suit (PDF) that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has a history of blatantly threatening legal action (and also, losing) against publishers, developers, and retailers in the past. The legal document also goes on to state that JT is almost "a private attorney general on behalf of the State of Florida" given his attempts to censor Take-Two and Rockstar by having the games declared public nuisances.

This isn't a surprising move, given that Take-Two probably wants to streamline the legal process because you know JT would have sued them eventually. This just speeds up the process, and helps with the eventual disbarment of everyone's favorite bark, but not bite Floridan attorney.

And now, a mere three days later . . .

The Counterattack:

You-Know-Who Responds to Take-Two Lawsuit
'I have been praying Take-Two would do something so stupid.'
By Dan Dormer, 03/19/2007

We knew He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named wouldn't stay silent for too long after Take-Two filed suit against him late last week. We were right; ol' Voldemort sent out an e-mail filled with disparaging remarks, Bible verses and probably incriminating remarks:

In an email addressed to "Gamers and Game Publications on the Internet and Elsewhere," he (it?) states:

"I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two. With the filing of this SLAPP lawsuit last week, my prayers are finally answered. This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law..."

After quoting Psalm 35, the big bad wolf finishes his letter by saying that Take-Two has dug a pit for themselves, which "will be patently clear next week when I strike back." No word yet if Phoenix Wright

____________________________________________________________________________________

Basically Rockstar just knows that this is coming and wants to speed things up before the release of games such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Manhunt 2. What do you guys think on the matter? Seeing as how this is basically inevitable, is this a good move by Take-Two or should they have taken a wait-and-see approach to things?

NNID: Rehab0
Rehab on

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JT is crazy. And not the good kind.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    LuckyStrikeYoLuckyStrikeYo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »

"I have been praying, literally, that Take-Two and its lawyers would do something so stupid, so arrogant, so dumb, even dumber than what they have to date done, that such a misstep would enable me to destroy Take-Two. With the filing of this SLAPP lawsuit last week, my prayers are finally answered. This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law..."

I love Jack Thompson. He is batshit insane and isn't afraid to launch into a rambling soliloquy that would make a JRPG end boss weep with envy.

LuckyStrikeYo on
    Gemini Mind in BFBC2
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm waiting for the inevitable restraining order that JT must stay 500 feet away from Rockstar and his lips must never utter their name. And then finally maybe we will never hear from the fool again.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why won't this dick give up? Seriously. I'm getting tired of him writing these emails that make it seem like he's got this huge grand scheme going on.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think this is a smart move on Take Two's part, assuming they are on sound legal ground. I look forward to seeing what Jack Thompson has planned
    "OMFG just ignore him" in three... two...

Keidrych on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »

I love Jack Thompson. He is batshit insane and isn't afraid to launch into a rambling soliloquy that would make a JRPG end boss weep with envy.
    You know, someone should REALLY make a totally over the top Pheonix Wright still game featuring Jack Thomspon and his crusade to kill gaming. You wouldn't even have to hire dialogue writers - just lift the script directly from his insane ravings. That would probably be one of the funniest games ever made. Hell, I'd buy it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    tree barktree bark Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law...

irony.jpg

tree bark on
    arachnidreactor.png
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited March 2007
    Has Jack Thompson ever won a case against a video game company?

Really, has he? I would like to know.

Menace on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Menace wrote: »
    Has Jack Thompson ever won a case?

Really, has he? I would like to know.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gnarls Barkley music would be perfect for this thread, and you know which song I'm talking about.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm just curious, he just keeps saying over and over "OMG, yes, they did it!" but does he actually ever go into why it's in any way a good thing for him that they're suing him? Or is this just his big mouthed way of trying to play it off?

Aoi on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hm. This could prove interesting, especially with the possibility that Take Two could be bought out sometime in the near future.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Has JT ever done anything of substance other than the thing with Howard Stern?

I mean, hasn't every video-game related outing of his resulted in complete and utter failure?

Einhander on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    I'm just curious, he just keeps saying over and over "OMG, yes, they did it!" but does he actually ever go into why it's in any way a good thing for him that they're suing him? Or is this just his big mouthed way of trying to play it off?

As far as I can tell, this is the equivalent of a 12-year-old going "Oh yeah? Well..well..that's just what I WANTED you to do! So NYEAH!"

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

Memory fails me. Details, please.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

He whined to the FCC in Florida about Howard Stern's radio show being obscene, so his show was canned. Now Howard Stern is on Sirius Sattelite Radio, though.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hm. This could prove interesting, especially with the possibility that Take Two could be bought out sometime in the near future.

Heh, I actually came across the news that Take Two might be bought out (still unlikely at this point though) at about the same time I saw this. I thought including that along with everything else would be a bit much but it does make for an interesting side conversation.

Rehab on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Take Two's been the industry's whipping boy for a while now.

It's about time they faught back.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This lawsuit, filed in US District Court for the Southern District of Florida, is, without a doubt, the single dumbest thing I have ever seen any lawyers do in my thirty years of practicing law...

Soooo... what do you think he'll say when he finds a mirror?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

He whined to the FCC in Florida about Howard Stern's radio show being obscene, so his show was canned. Now Howard Stern is on Sirius Sattelite Radio, though.

That isnt why he was let go by Clear Channel. He had been making comments that were less than kind about the Bush administration[which Clear Channel supports financialy and politically]. The FCC thing was just part of the excuse.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ... I thought this was going to be about Blockbuster.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »

Yeah, they seriously need a "got sued the fuck out" soon.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really want to know what bug crawled up this guy's ass about videogames. Did videogame kill his father, and rape his mother, as a child?

Dr. O on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dr. O wrote: »
    I really want to know what bug crawled up this guy's ass about videogames. Did videogame kill his father, and rape his mother, as a child?

Sadly an old Pac-man arcade cabinet fell on his father and the joystick of the same cabinate in question had pertruded the anal regions of his mother. Jack has never been the same since, the 80's were a tough time indeed.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Worse. The videogame got his dog to lick his balls while he assraped his mother. JT had frontrow seats lying ontop of his dead father inbetween his mother's legs as she was bent over. He could smell the tuna.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can I play devils advocate and say that while Jack is a loonie, his desire to keep violent games out of the hands of kids has merit.

Marathon on
  • Options
    Dr. ODr. O Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well now I just feel sorry for the guy.

Dr. O on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marathon wrote: »
    Can I play devils advocate and say that while Jack is a loonie, his desire to keep violent games out of the hands of kids has merit.

of course, i think most of us agree on that. but we hate him for trying to just get rid of the games outright

...and being a jackass

and trying to waste the FBI's time, and trying to get PA in jail. the list goes on and on....

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For a long time, I figured there had to be two Thompsons. Or at least somebody impersonating him online. That was before the destructoid video. Still, Thompson seems at the least bipolar. How does he still claim to only want to keep mature material away from children, while he seeks to have the products labeled as public nuisances?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Update:

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/22/in-countersuit-thompson-claims-take-two-at-center-of-vast-rico-conspiracy/
    He claims that Take Two has “collaborated and conspired with third parties to commit these racketeering activities.” As alleged by Thompson, these “third parties” include many influential video game websites and publications, including this one as well as Kotaku, Joystiq, GameSpot, IGN, Penny Arcade, EGM, Game Informer and Spong.

omy

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    Update:

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/03/22/in-countersuit-thompson-claims-take-two-at-center-of-vast-rico-conspiracy/
    He claims that Take Two has “collaborated and conspired with third parties to commit these racketeering activities.” As alleged by Thompson, these “third parties” include many influential video game websites and publications, including this one as well as Kotaku, Joystiq, GameSpot, IGN, Penny Arcade, EGM, Game Informer and Spong.

omy

Now we really know he's off his rocker
    JT: "It's a conspiracy!!!!"

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well now I just feel sorry for the guy.

I find that hilarious coming from the guy who has draw E-surance hentai.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    taketwoimageox4.png
    JUDGMENT DAY

Sorry. I just wanted to do that.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    taketwoimageox4.png
    JUDGMENT DAY

Sorry. I just wanted to do that.

:lol: :^:

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There needs to be a constant, looping tape of "Duel of the Fates" throughout the proceedings

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jack Thompson should be the final prosecutor in Ace Attorney(Phoenix wright to you) 5.

Or maybe the first. Hell, Winston is a better attorney than he is.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    thorpe wrote: »
    There needs to be a constant, looping tape of "Duel of the Fates" throughout the proceedings

...or Navras

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »

Heh, I didn't even think of that when I made this thread. Title change is on the way.

Also, after hanging out in the Penny Arcade Adventures sub forum for a while it occurred to me that it is quite possible that Thompson may try and attack RSPD when it comes out due to his past battles with Penny Arcade. This makes me think that as well:
    Napoleon wrote:
    What sort of rating are you guys going for? M? T? Will there be nudity? I love video game nudity...
    Gabriel wrote:
    this shit will be M

Rehab on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Imagine if JT was in church one day. All alone. And the church collapsed on him.

Oh man. So awesome.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who thinks JT will eventually suicide/ turn into a drunk, junkie hobo?
    On the other hand he might already be drunk and a junkie.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041