Options

[Iron Kingdoms (Steampunk) RPG] Interest evaluation thread

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting DefensePlace at the tableRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Critical Failures
Anybody want to try some play by post set in the IK? The new books are fabulous and feature incredible integration with the world of the mini games Warmachine and Hordes.

AKA a world of gritty, steam-punk badassery

This would be a check-thread-daily-minimum, play by post, urban campaign with a swashbuckling/rooftop running/intrigue atmosphere, a great chance to play some of the more socially oriented characters (if your IRL game, like mine, routinely devolves into "Warmachine with a story," this will not be like that). We'd be using the NEW, non-d20, Iron Kingdoms books. I'd like to run it for 2-5 people.

Any interest?

Update: There is some interest. So let's talk a little bit more about this game, what it is, and who it is for.

This game is set in the Iron Kingdoms, a fantasy kingdom that is in the midst of industrial revolution.

Specifically, it's set in the piratical port of Five Fingers.

I'll hold off just a bit on really getting into the grit of the setting, since we have players.

I have some house rules/rulings you should be aware of:
Ogrun/Huge Stature: Ogrun subtract 1 from the penalty for the use of "hand and a half" weapons (like the caspian battle blade) and use them at their two-handed power. An ogrun using a weapon in one hand takes a penalty of one to a weapon that already has a penalty of -2 or more. In other words, the TOTAL penalty for an ogrun wielding a large weapon in one hand will generally be -3

Weapon specialization: I do not take the interpretation that weapons specialization removes "all" penalties with a weapons, as is literally written. I take the POV that it refers specifically to the innate penalty some weapons have. Situational penalties like those for bad visibility, firing into melee, etc, are not relieved by taking this single ability.

Gifted tree: Making a gifted character without access to a spell list is permitted.

Unarmed Combat and two-handed fighting: I use common sense with this. If you have a character built for two weapon fighting, I allow the use of an off hand or two attacks unarmed. If you have a character clearly built to use unarmed fighting as a primary skill, two handed fighting and ambidexterity can be considered "in play" ... This isn't to be construed as meaning that all characters can constantly up their number of attacks by fighting with say, a shield, a polearm, and sparta kicks using unarmed. Common sense, cooperation, and coolness are invoked here

Quick work and thrown melee weapons: Yes, but only those made to be thrown that can "also be used in melee"

Stormblades have a special version of gunfighter that works with stormglaives. Or, if you prefer, the ranged component of the stormblade is ruled to be an integrated electrical pistol. Whatever lets you sleep at night. Point being: Stormblades can zap shit with gunfighter, it's clearly intended.

Rhulfolk are generally assumed to work with Rhulic jacks, but not hard-banned from working on others.
Iosans are strongly assumed to work with "myrmidion" tech if they are mechanikally inclined, but are not banned from working with human jacks unless associated with the retribution

Any character eligible to start with a "light labor jack" may take the Miner, Scrapper, or Angler variants from Urban Adventurers.

I do not allow people to take two types of sorcerer. You may mix and match other spellcasting classes with sorcerer and each other, but no, you can't make a fire/ice or storm/stone caster. I don't want to hear about how the cosmos works in yin and yang contrasts or that the private is trying to express the duality of man. Arcanist/Sorcerer is good enough if you want a "pure wizard"

You MAY use the "trade-in" rules

You may start with a bonded mechanika weapon in place of a bonded suit of warcaster armor if you feel the need.

A bonded suit of warcaster armor does not allow you to make boosted unarmed strikes or boosted shoulder checks or boosted kicks. You can pay to have spring holsters, spring blades, or small compartments built into warcaster or other medium or heavy armor for +5gc (5gc in the case of a compartment). the target number to detect them is 12. You may pay up to ten gc extra to increase this target number on a one for one basis.

Mechanikal arms have the ability to KO as a sap, club, or trench knife.

"unarmed combat" is presumed to be with a mixture of fists and feet, no extra bonus is generally to be had by declaring a kick vs a punch. You may use "Unarmed combat" with your head in the proper situation, but it is a mere unarmed combat roll - the "headbutt" power attack requires the Headbutt ability

JohnnyCache on

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I'd be down. I'm currently running a game irl but it would be tons of fun to pbp too.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Like I say, I see it as a chance to play some different builds and do something a little more free-form. There will still be fighting, but what I have in mind calls for more heist/mob/crime movie type outbreaks of violence vs battles on a field if that makes sense.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Is it okay to use the new careers from the Urban Adventures book?

Edit: Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Think more Ocean's Eleven, less LotR.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'd be down, but I don't have my copy of the book yet, because I'm waiting for the PDF...so umm, yeah.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Yeah on UA, I would even allow a thamarite if the cover ID made some sense and the person was prepared to be "Lawful evil"

The only career I've seen that probably wouldn't work would be the Doom Reaver they released in no quarter. It's basically up to the player: If you're a highwayman, you might not get to ride a horse every scene, if you start with a jack, it might have to be housed somewhere for some of the social scenes, etc. If you're really hankering to play something, and you get that some abilities might be situational in this game, I'm not going to tell you no...but maybe think hard on that second career, and pick it for balance and not maxing out the first.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    There is a sample adventure on PP's website that has fairly involved "quickstart" rules...as a WM player you'll pick it up very fast, it is essentially just warmahordes with MAT and RAT broken down into a base stat plus a skill with individual classes of weapons, and social stats and skills penciled in.

http://files.privateerpress.com/ironkingdoms/documents/adventures/IKRPG_Scenario_Fools_Rush_In.pdf

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I am absolutely down for this. Completely 100% in. Fuck yeah IKRPG!

• Options
    @Nealneal yo, get down on this.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I am interested for sure!!!

• Options
    Geez I dunno steel...will the game still be doomed if we're not both players in it? :P

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I picked up my book today. Interest noted. Of course, I've app'ed for two other pbps this week. I can keep up though. I promise!!!!

Alchemist/Spy I think, unless someone else wants to go that same route.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Cool... Anybody else have race/career notions?

• Options
    Well, I was toying with the idea of a Warcaster/Pugilist, with Mechanikal Striking Gauntlets... not sure if this is the right campaign for that, though.

Other than that, although I don't usually revisit characters, my Intellectual Iosan Mage Hunter/Spy was incredibly fun, and would probably fit really well with the campaign! I might do a switcheroo to a MH/Cutthroat, but that removes so many skills...

So yeah!

• Options
    No pugilist race can be a warcaster but something similar could be ginned up

• Options
    Well, yknow. Something with Unarmed. The point is eventually being able to punch people and set them on fire.

• Options
    trollklin Pugilist/Stone or Fire Sorcerer is actually along the lines you're going for and it's cannonical....I hope they introduce pygs as PCs

• Options
    Yeah, but it's harder to get three to four punches in a single turn that way!
    Still something to think about, of course. Of course my copy of Urban Adventures is sitting in my friend's basement until Saturday.

• Options
    Fire and/or earthquakes are worth a little ROF

• Options
    That's an arguable point. Sorcerers are completely awesome though, in all varieties.

• Options
    can't wait until warlocks come out. basically I'm liking the whole game. Only real complaint is there's a little bit of a rushed feel to the copy editing (IE "One handed weapon" was obviously changed to "hand weapon" late in the draft process).

• Options
    Yeah, I'm really eager for the hordes books. Skorne, Warlocks, Druids, Dragonspawn rules, pygs, runeshapers, warbeasts, etc...

Of course, warbeasts are a lot less modular and mechanical than warjacks, so that's going to be a very interesting set of rules.

I also really want some Arcanika/Magic Items rules, although I'm glad they left that stuff for later books and kept the focus on machines and mechanika.

• Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Any space left for a late-comer to try to squeak in on the ground floor?

• Options
    Probably, you're #5 that's shown interest, that's the usual party size.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm leaning towards a gunmage/investigator.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm building a field mechanic cause I want my own robot. I tried to resist.. I fail. :mrgreen:

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    spacecaptaindickjusticespacecaptaindickjustice Registered User regular
    Ah man this looks really cool. I got the pdf the other day but I haven't had a chance to have a proper read of it due to nasty nasty exams. An arcane mechanik/pirate looks like it would be good fun to play but it looks like you guys are full up, and I'm not really down on the rules. I'll be watching with great interest though.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Never done a play by post. How are they? Could be interesting. I can see myself doing a Dr. King Schulz-esque Intellectual Iosan Mage Hunter/Seeker. Hit me up on AIM if there's a spot for me after all: AbesolutZERO

As as Seeker, my character would've spent a few years studying human history at Corvis U and even gotten a degree on it. She pretends to be a bounty hunter (cover identity) who happens to specialize in hunting witches, infernalists, Thamarites, and necromancers.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm actually willing to entertain the notion of everyone up to here as players. I'm not too worried about the numbers as I in my observation PbP styles and posting tempos vary.

That makes it 5 who are more or less ready to build a character and spacecapt. and gnome who are interested but are shaky on the rules. Otaku, I don't have AIM :(

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Steam? PM otherwise.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    So what sort of Adventuring Company are we getting for this? What part of the IK are we starting in? I know you said urban intrigue, so maybe Spies or Outlaws? We could probably do a proper mercenary company or the one with a proper patron, too.

• Options
    You're going to start in Five Fingers, I think.

• Options
    Sweet. I love me some Five Fingers.

• Options
    Urban intrigue? Investigators? Law Dogs? Seekers can fit into any adventuring company. :D

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Uuugh Seekers are ridiculous. Free boosts for everyone! Tons of available skills! Nobody ever runs out of feat points!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Uuugh Seekers are ridiculous. Free boosts for everyone! Tons of available skills! Nobody ever runs out of feat points!
    Actually, it's SnP for occupational rolls within 2" of me, assuming it's something I can legitly do. My GM makes me justify it every time I try it. The feat point thing is overrated, since as an Intellectual, my attack output wouldn't be high enough to make me overflow too much with them. Skill checks are another story once I get Genius. Military Officers have that ability too. :/

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Actually, almost any company works for this, law dogs, spies, pirates, investigators...I could even manage to accomodate outlaws

• Options
    Pirates is really restrictive for careers, if you don't want us on a ship I don't recommend it! Law Dogs could be awesome, especially in the Port of Deceit.

• Options
    oh gawd law dogs <3

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    KelzorKelzor The Grey Man Registered User regular
    IKRPG seems like good stuff. I'd definitely enjoy seeing some more of it around here.

• Options
    I guess I can pull off law dog. I'll just go Soldier instead of Searforge Trader.

• Options
    Going to freshen up the OP a little bit. I'll also stick up a few house rules/rulings