As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Iron Kingdoms] The Pawnbrokers

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Alexi nods calmly at Shay. "Indeed mon cheri, it is perhaps not a great idea to send this through normal military channels. For now, I'll leave well enough alone, but we should know that it is a possible lead if we require it."

"In the mean time, I suggest that I tag along on this little fact finding mission. I have a strange feeling that less desirable folk may find their way in to our path. I have..", Alexi cocks the hammer on his magelock pistol, "...solutions to that problem."

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    "If I still had connections I might have been able to ask the Order of the Golden Crucible."

Kaelin felt a bit confused. The crew had never asked her into the field before. She hadn't been in a firefight since escaping the war and wasn't eager to find herself in another. "Et moi?" Kaelin asked in a puzzled tone. "Ehh non. I should stay here and continue my studies of the boulet de canon."

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    sorry for the slow play guys, I had a bitch of a day at work. I will get you turns in the am

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    As Blake and Shay get up to leave, Ivan says, "Mistress Shay, I will not be joining you I think. I will be working on project."

With that he stands and returns to his workshop.
    He intends to go and change into a disguise and follow the pirate pair. I'll be looking for individuals that avoid them and/or seem too interested in the subject matter. I'm not sure what conditional bonuses/penalties you'd like to apply @johnnycache .
    You can use "Average Prep Time" and have the bonus for ample materials (+2)

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Once in his room, Ivan begins taking off the face and trappings of Ivan. Anyone who saw him now would believe him to be much shorter and more fit than the paunchy surgeon. He begins to throw on a few odds and ends from a hidden storage area. In short order, Danny, an Ordic Dockworker, is standing in Ivan's room.

Grabbing a short sword on his way out the back, Danny thinks to himself, "Time to find the pirates and keep a watch on their backs."

Nealneal on
  • Options
    Summing up: Alexi, Shay and Blake are hitting the streets, "Danny" is following them at a distance; The Science Ladies are staying at the lab?

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm waiting on my memory check to decide what I'm going to do. :/

Quoting here for reference's sake:
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Upon closer inspection of the ball, Tari's eyes narrow. "Disgusting." She mutters again, "I cannot read them, but they do not seem at all like your standard arcane runes. They reek of something dark. I agree, however, that everything seems to point towards containing something INSIDE the ball." Now, to figure out what kind of nasty rune it was. She thinks back to her past experiences. Telgesh? Necromantic runes? She's seen plenty of them while out hunting.
    Rolling flat INT here, to dig into her memory and see if indeed, those runes are of those particularly nasty kinds. 3d6 due to Genius.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3895348/ 3d6+5 = 18

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Not at a glance, what you can see is a little too obscure. It's NOT telgesh or telgesh-derived modern rune alphabet. The containment pattern COULD be necromantic; you can't rule it out but can't prove it (With this one roll)

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    "Hm. Signs seem to point in that direction. I will stay behind with Miss Kaelin and study the... boulet. Yes, the boulet." Tari remarked with the same half-distracted, semi-aloof tone of voice she's had since the cannonball was brought in. Either the Iosan took a liking to Rynnish, or she's poking fun at Kaelin. Taking a few good looks at it, she runs off to the bookshelf, hoping to find something relevant.
    On the bright side, her hunch is somewhat vindicated. She'll stay and study it more. Gonna go ahead and roll Research, since that's what Team Science does.
    3d6+6=17

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    "Hm. Signs seem to point in that direction. I will stay behind with Miss Kaelin and study the... boulet. Yes, the boulet." Tari remarked with the same half-distracted, semi-aloof tone of voice she's had since the cannonball was brought in. Either the Iosan took a liking to Rynnish, or she's poking fun at Kaelin. Taking a few good looks at it, she runs off to the bookshelf, hoping to find something relevant.
    On the bright side, her hunch is somewhat vindicated. She'll stay and study it more. Gonna go ahead and roll Research, since that's what Team Science does.
    3d6+6=17

Tari and Kaelin poke and prod at the object for a few hours, working their separate methods in alternating silence and conversation. Kaelin performs several basic tests on the ball: the surface is lead, for sure, but the ball doesn't displace enough water to be solid lead. She also locates an area about the size of a penny that looks to be covered in black wax or machine grease...a powder port?

Tari takes the rubbings and rune diagrams and runs them through her small but serviceable occult library, eliminating alphabets and casting systems systematically: Iosan is immediately out, Rhulic soon after and the runes are obviously not the standard markings of a caster working from the methods developed after Thamar's dark gift.

After three or four hours, she's about to quit in frustration, but then she notices: The body copy of her Khadorian lexicon uses, as its body copy translations of an older poem in multiple languages. The poem concerns the downfall of an exile from dark city at the hands of several bands of Menite warrior priests. In the illumination of one margin, there is a depiction of the exile, and on the flag held by his bannerman, a character very similar to one of the runes is clearly reproduced.

A few reference volumes later, she's found a name, an old name: Morddh, an ancient kingdom so foul even the early Thamarites gave it wide berth, but little more. She realizes she exhausted the shop's library, and will need further texts to translate the full manuscript.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    group 2, how are you going about your pavement pounding?

• Options
    I assume you meant Morrdh? Cool, cool. I'll wait for Mikey to post some more.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You're Iosan. You have an accent :P

@stealhawk, @nealneal, @rainfall ... what are you guys up to? Just...drinkin? what tactic are you taking in your info gathering?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hitting up dockside bars and trying to pump folks for info, or just keeping our ears open for rumors about Target.. None of us have Streetwise, although there is some Deception, Negotiation, Intimidation, and Gambling amidst the gang.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Thats pretty much what I was going to say. Just hit the bars and ask around and the like. If we get stonewalled, then we do it Batman style and beat everyone up until we get an answer.

Blake is all fired up right now, so cracking heads might be what he's looking for anyway.

Also, I realize than in storming off like that I may have just split the party. My bad.

• Options
    Yeah, Danny is just shadowing them. Watching their backs and taking special note of anyone who is too interested in what they are talking about or to quick to avoid them and their questions.

• Options
    Kaelin continued her study if the strange cannonball with Tari. Noticing the black wax she fetched a knife and pointed it out to the Iosan. "How courageuse do we feel, madame Tari?"

• Options
    Let's get a Deception and an Intimidation check from the three of you - do them collectively (highest person makes a key roll, each other who gets over 15 adds one too it....I'll let you guys decide who is the key roller; if you'd prefer to use someone who can boost or re-roll it as opposed to the person with the highest stat+skill that's fine

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Tari , at last, after spending a very long time cross-analyzing each rune with just about every last book she had in her little occult library, she found something. Elated, she lifts her hands in the air in victory, "Success! Miss Kaelin, we must make haste to the library! I have found a very important lead in an old Khadoran poem regarding .. er... 'Morredh', if that's how you say it." she said excitably, then taking note of Kaelin's proposition.

"Very. If it gets to the bottom of this, I suggest you cut that hole open. First, let me get the proper tools in case something goes wrong." Tari said, going off to fetch her crossbow. She has it trained at the cannonball, just in case. Containment runes are no joke.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    Intimidation: 2d6+7 = 11

Shitty rolls, but at least they were double 2's? Thats a critical something.

• Options
    SPEAKING OF. Are we starting with any feat points?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    you start with three[/spoiler

After a night of carrousing, troublemaking, and direct questioning you learn there is probably only one steamworks that could build something the size you're talking about: Black Anchor, Five FIngers' only purveyor of original 'jack designs. There is a Rhullic firm that has a big enough foundry, but single large 'jacks go against their design style, and usually only Rhulic casters run Rhullic jacks. For Targ to be Dwarven, he'd half to be two of them standing on top of each other.

You also get a few leads on arcane mechaniks who could have made a prothestic limb of such extensive customization. The list is short, only 10 names, and when you scratch Kaelin off that list, you're left with nine. Two are exclusive military contractors who can probably be eliminated, That gets you down to 7. One is Mad Franz, who notoriously hates pirates, and another is an Iosan who works in the Iosan style of mechanika - you're down to five.
    @Nealneal make a detection roll

• Options
    Detection: 2d6+5 12

• Options
    I'm sorry, could you also roll Deception or Sneak, whichever is highest?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't sure what Base Stat to use for Deception since it's Social, but I went with Intelligence (cause he's Smart!). I can reroll with a different base stat if you'd like, or we can take the Sneak roll to keep things moving.

Deception (If Intelligence Based): 3d6+5 17

Sneak: 2d6+5 15

Nealneal on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    As "Danny" the dockworker reels "drunkenly" outside the latest bar on the Pawnbrokers are exiting on their pub crawl/ interrogation session, he sees a tall, slender, attractive figure carrying a long staff in one hand detach itself from the mouth of an alley not five feet away and follow them as they leave.

He's about to stumble after her in turn when two more figures lumber out of the mouth of the alley. They are also tall, but neither slender nor attractive. The small one is a trollkin; still easily head and shoulders taller than Danny and muscled like a circus strongman. The big one is an ogrun, gone a bit to fat, but with the crown of his head scraping the eaves of the bar. They aren't wearing any armor or real weaponry, but the ogrun has a dockworker's bale hook hooked into a pocket. As Danny rebounds off the ogrun, the huge man grimaces.

"Oy. the fuck is your problem, you can't see me standin' here? You might need your eyes checked, you dumb s -"

He is interrupted when Danny, who has cajoled his brain into an moment of method acting, perhaps by projecting a mental image what would happen if this came to a fist fight (his friends and family burying a bucket of something that looks like raspberry cobbler), vomits a mouthful of fish stew and vodka onto the ogrun's boots and drops to his hands and knees, "drunkenly."

The ogrun draws his soiled boot back to land a cheap kick, but the trollkin stops him,

"Grodge," says the blue giant, "Knock it off. "e's a fuckin' drunkin' sailor, as if you've never been there, c'mon, we're on the fuckin' clock here, Zish will lop of our nuts with that fuckin' cleaver of hers if we fall behind."

"I ain't afraid of some little elf girl," replies the monstrous dockworker.

"Well, you fuckin' should be. I've seen her in action. I told you, if you don't wanna work on the docks till yer dyin' day, you gotta be a professional."

The ogrun shrugs and follows his fellow behemoth down the street after the Brokers and their mysterious shadow.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    "Very well," Kaelin responded. "I will endeavor to remove this seal avec grand sion."

She retreived the proper solvents from her laboratory. Over her clothes she put on a heavy blacksmith's apron and her reinforced great coat. Kaelin made sure her rifle was nearby but a safe distance from this experiment, just in case. Placing a welding helmet over her head and thick smelting gloves over her hands, she looked back to Tari. "I would ask you to take un petit step back, s'il vous plait."

Lowering the shield over her face, she secured the cannonball in a vise then gentle peeled back a of the wax with a small carving knife. Taking a deep breath Kaelin steadied her hands then began to carefully apply the solvent to the seal.

"Merde, merde... siogneuse..."
    Just in case you want a roll and to keep things moving forward...

Mechanikal Engineering: 2d6+5 13

• Options
    Was at a Warmachine tourney yesterday, so sorry for the late reply.

Aren't I with them as well? Should I have rolled some checks?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    you technically would could have, but the bonus from your assist wouldn't help alter any results.

Sorry for the low activity today, I'm a webmaster for a sports radio station, big day for us what with the guys doing the thing with the ball

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Danny watches the two towering monstrosities move off. All pretense of drunkeness falls away as he slips into the shadows. Now he's really interested in the elf girl, "Zish." He follows close enough behind to overhear as much as possible without revealing himself.
    Spend a Feat Point to Activate Battle Plan: Shadow. (Gain Stealth while concealed.)

Battle Plan: Shadow: Sneak Roll to stay in the shadows.: 2d6+5 15

Nealneal on
  • Options
    They cover a lot of ground with their long legs and catch up. You can hear them grumbling as they walk, and you can hear zish giving the occasional curt comment. Ahead of you, the other brokers take a left down a fairly secluded alley, and she says, "now is our chance, Seamus. I'm going to cut them off, you two brace them from behind."

With that, she puts one foot on a midden heap, leaps, grabs a Window sill, and bounds upward, vaulting effortlessly onto the rooftops.

As she fades into the shadows, Seamus the trollkin cracks his knuckles and slips on a pair of hand wraps of some kind, while grodge pulls a big piece of lumber out of a trash heap and gives it a test swing.
    looks like they are about to ambush the rest of the party.....

• Options
    To date, Blake has been oddly resigned and patient with regards to his mutiny. Since hearing the news of Targ he had been feeling anything but patient. The fires of revenge in his heart had been stoked and was burning strong this night.

Narrowing down their search was helpful, but still not satisfying enough. As they turn down the lonely street, better described as an alley really, Blake says to the others. "Mad Franz should be our next stop. He not likely to be the mechanic we're looking for, but he might be able to point us in the right direction. He's got no love for pirates."
    Just wanted to pipe in with a bit of RP before we get jumped here. :)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Danny watches the impending ambush and prepares to provide an opening for his allies to break out if needed. He positions himself as close to the orgun as possible, draws his sword, and at the first sign of movement will ram it as deep into the ogrun's spine as possible.
    I didn't specifiy if he was taking any grenades or his pistol, so I'm inclined so say he doesn't have them or his leather greatcoat. So he'll be DEF 14 and ARM 5 for the fight.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    I didn't specify specifically, but as a Military Officer, I highly doubt Alexi would have left the shop without his armor and pistol. I know he had his pistol, because he cocks it as they are leaving.

I would go so far as to say that Alexi's daily attire probably incorporates his armor, since it's "custom battle armor", and made specifically to fit him.

• Options
    Blake went out spoiling for a fight, so yeah; fully kitted out in his custom armor and blades and pistol.

• Options
    Also? This is Five Fingers. I seriously doubt anyone would want to walk around unarmed/armored.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    "It would make more sense to drop by Black Anchor, Blake. If they handled a big project like that, and where else would Targ get a 'jack that size, there'll be someone willing to speak up there."
    Shay kept a close eye on Blake. The man was usually calm and reliable, but something about Targ had definitely set him on edge, and she didn't like it one bit. Revenge escapades never turned out well for the people dragged into the conflict, and she had no intentions of being crushed by a colossal 'jack just to make Blake feel better about himself.
    And yeah, you're not walking around Five Fingers without a gun and an armored greatcoat at the very least. Shay, as per usual, has her quad-iron and cutlass at hand.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Also? This is Five Fingers. I seriously doubt anyone would want to walk around unarmed/armored.
    The only people who walk around five fingers with no armor are people who know they have a 15 def :P

Could I get inits from the group in the alley?

And actually the group in the lab, too - might as well.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    The only people who walk around five fingers with no armor are people who know they have a 15 def :P
    Back Arc+Aim+RAT 6=5+ to hit. I think everyone's sticking to armor.