As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Petz Game 1: The four First Pet Stores in town

XiVXiV Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Critical Failures
302b6tj.jpg

BGG Link

Become the leader of an imp family that has just started a new business – breeding and selling petz. Sound simple and safe? Well, we forgot to mention that those petz are for Dungeon Lords. This means magical, playful, sometimes angry monsters that constantly desire attention and at the very moment you want them to demonstrate their qualities to buyers they are sick or they poo. Sometimes you are even glad that you got rid of them – but the profit is unbelievable.

Dungeon Petz is a standalone game set in the Dungeon Lords universe created in the board game of the same name. The game consists of several rounds in which players use unusual worker placement mechanisms (players simultaneously prepare different sized groups of imps in order to play sooner than others) to prepare themselves for the uneasy task of raising creature cubs and pleasing their different needs represented by cards in order to sell them as grown scary creatures to Dungeon Lords. In the meantime they also attend various contests in which they show off their pets, scoring additional points.

XiV wrote: »
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THE RULES:

Rulebook

Round structure:
1. Setup
- Reveal upcoming exhibitions and customers
- Fill up the market (some unsold items may be discarded first)
- Get income (1 gold for 1st and 2nd player, 2 gold the rest)

2. Shopping
- Assign imp groupings. Gold can be added to groups to increase their size.
- Send groups to market or pass (stay home), starting with largest group. Ties are resolved in turn order.

3. Needs
- Place newly bought cages and addons. Pets may be moved between cages at this time. Any pet left without a cage escapes (lost)
- Draw need cards (based on revealed icons on pets).
- Assign need cards to pets facedown. Many cards can be played as a double-need card, but if so both needs must be fulfilled during evaluation.

4. Showing off
- Reveal need cards and evaluate
- Send pet(s) to exhibition (from round 2 onwards). Tally exhibition points based on needs assigned this round. First place score 8 reputation, second place 6, third place 4, last place 2 (you don't get any reputation if you have zero exhibition points)

5. Business
- Each player may sell a pet. (from round 3 onwards; one pet per customer in round 5). Determine match value with customer based on needs assigned this round. Score reputation equal to 2x match value, 3x if sold using imp on platform. Gain gold equal to pet sell value. (customer won't buy if match value is zero)
- Discard all assigned need cards. Discard down to 1 need card of each color in hand. (Potion cards are not discarded)
- Each unassigned imp either cleans 2 poop total from empty cages, or provide 1 gold.

6. Aging
- Pets grow
- Food loses freshness, discard if rotten
- Imps go home (except the ones in hospital and on selling platform)
- Pass first player marker

End of game

At the end of 5 rounds, there are 2 final exhibitions:

Business Acumen: +1 per food, +1 per artifact, +1 per potion, +0.5 points per gold, -2 per imp still on progress or main board
Pet display: +2 per pet, +1 per cage, +1 per addon, -1 per mutation, -1 per suffering, -1 per poop

Score reputation as in normal exhibitions, except if a player has negative exhibition points, he loses that many reputation. Highest reputation points win the game.

Action spaces in the market:
Get a size 3 pet (requires at least one gold in group): 1 slot
Get a size 2 pet (requires at least one gold in group): 2 slots
Get a new cage (requires at least 2 imps in group): 2 slots
Get a new addon: 1 slot
Get both artifacts: 1 slot
Get meat: 1 slot
Get vegetables: 1 slot
Get mixed food: 1 slot
Hospital: 1 slot (pick up injured imps, also draw 1 potion card)
Immigration: 1 slot (pick up imps from the progress board)
Volunteer to judge: 1 slot (+2 to your exhibition points this round)
Book selling platform: 1 slot (imps sent here do not go home until you make a sale. When you sell a pet with an imp on this platform, get more reputation points)

Evaluating needs (in this order):
Hunger: Spend one food per need. One suffering token per unfulfilled need.
Poop: Place a poop token in cage per need.
Play: One imp assigned per need. One suffering token per unfulfilled need.
Magic: Absorbed by cage Antimagic (purple number). For each unfulfilled need, gain one mutation.
Anger: Absorbed by cage Strength (red number). For each unfulfilled need, one available imp may go to the hospital (they are hurt while restraining the pet); Otherwise, the pet escapes (lost)
Disease: Add number of poop tokens in cage and assigned disease need, then subtract by 2. If the result is more than zero, gain that many suffering tokens plus 1.

A potion card can fulfill one need of any color.

If amount of suffering tokens equals pet size, the pet dies (lost)
One mutation token = -2 gold sale value. Can be negative.
Two or more mutation tokens= Pet is lost to another dimension

If a pet is lost for any reason, lose 1/10th of current reputation points.

Card distribution:
Green Deck
16 Hunger
10 Poop (+Hunger)
4 Anger (+Hunger)
2 Disease (+Hunger)

Red Deck
12 Anger
4 Play (+Anger)
3 Hunger (+Anger)
3 Poop (+Anger)
2 Disease (+Anger)

Yellow Deck
12 Play
4 Magic (+Play)
2 Hunger (+Play)
2 Poop (+Play)
4 Disease (+Play)

Purple Deck
12 Magic
4 Anger (+Magic)
4 Play (+Magic)
4 Disease (+Magic)

Artifacts:
Books: When you get this, choose one of the displayed color. Draw one need card of that color. You may keep one extra card of that color in your hand for the rest of the game.
Imp of the month: One of your imps count as two for fulfilling needs or scooping poop.
Magic Box: Comes with one mysterious food (can be used as meat or vegetable). If empty, one of your food can be placed inside. Food inside the box never spoils.
Imp Armor: Imps wearing these can increase the Strength or Antimagic of any of your cages by one. Up to two imps can be assigned in this way. (They are not hurt)
Crystal Ball: Before drawing new need cards, you may discard up to three cards and draw the same colors that you discarded.
Long Handled Shovel: One imp can use this to scoop poop during phase 4:Showing Off, even when the cages are occupied.
Whip of Obedience: Gain +0.5 exhibition points each round, except for end of game scoring.

XiV on

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Repeating for emphasis:
    IF YOU WANT TO PLAY, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO READ THE RULES:

Rulebook

How this works

I am looking for four players to participate. The game is not that difficult, but there are a lot of nuances that are hard to summarize, so please read the rules linked above! I will provide player aids and cheat sheets, and will answer any rules questions.

XiV on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    I'd love to play, as this game has seen a fair amount of table-time at my place recently, but I'm spread pretty thin as regards my time for PbP stuff. I'll be following with interest, though.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I've played Dungeon Lords on these forums and enjoyed it, but holy crap these rules are complicated. I feel like I'm trying to read through the Arkham Horror instructions.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Read the rules. Which variants were you planning on playing with?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I'll be using the double cards for sure. Without it you get into some situations like "customer wants magical pets --> raises pet with tons of purple needs in preparation --> draws only play and disease needs on day of sale"

The other one I'm considering is "Last round's turn order is from lowest reputation to highest".

• Options
    Does that make double cards optional or mandatory? I couldn't quite tell from the rules.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2013
    They're optional. You need to clarify whether you're playing it as a Hunger or Hunger+Anger, for example.

I agree the rules are a handful, but they're written in a way that makes it fun to read!

Here's the setup for the first round, let's see if pictures can entice more people to play:
    2d9a546.jpg

XiV on
  • Options
    They are definitely written in a way that's fun to read.
    Just a daunting task.
    I loved the game of dungeon lords getting trounced by Tmojy we played two years ago, I've wanted to buy it for a long time, but getting the right number of people and not playing chaos in the old world seemed impossible. This also sounds awesome.
    Signup
    Hopefully we can get 3 more. Resort to @ harassment if you need to.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Im a bit overwealed with work to try and jump into something like this right now. But I wanted to say I intend to watch so I hope you post lots more pictures as you go :)

Also theres always something about trying to read how to play a game online without having the pieces in front of me that make things tough to learn. Like my brain cant grasp what it cant see.

• Options
    It is tough, but I got my group's first two games due to playing games on the forums. These forums are great!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    This looks fun

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I actually think this game is a lot easier to understand than Dungeon Lords. Oh, also !signup - Thanks for doing this, XiV! I've been meaning to host this since ever, but I've had also an interminable case of the lazy since ever.

• Options
    Uh-oh ringer detected!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Im a bit overwealed with work to try and jump into something like this right now. But I wanted to say I intend to watch so I hope you post lots more pictures as you go :)
    Ok!

Progress board start of round 1:
    jhsea8.jpg

Each player's current cage status (with semi-realistic poop):
    152lu94.jpg

Each player starts with 6 imps and 2 gold, before income:
    293xcwn.jpg

I've also cleaned up the summary in the OP to be more informative and keep the terminology constant.

Just need one more player, then we're good to go!
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    I actually think this game is a lot easier to understand than Dungeon Lords. Oh, also !signup - Thanks for doing this, XiV! I've been meaning to host this since ever, but I've had also an interminable case of the lazy since ever.

I've been kicking the idea around for nearly a year myself :D

XiV on
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Sign the hell up!

Cerberus on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Great, that makes four. Why don't we get the ball rolling?

Determination of turn order, based on order of signups: 1d100=32, 1d100=100, 1d100=9, 1d100=27

Sir Fabulous will be first player for round 1, followed by 38thDoe, Cerberus, and blahmcblah.

Now while I prepare your initial hand, go ahead and claim colors and/or shop names.[/color]

XiV on
  • Options
    Gary's Pokemon Shack

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Round 1, Setup Phase

Well, that last dungeon master didn't last long. You decide you've had it being a lowly minion, and it's time to open a new line of business. How about selling petz? That's all the rage these days among dungeon lords, and you can even - gasp - earn money in the process! And it's probably safe, too.. just look at the itty bitty creatures in the pen, surely they won't be any trouble at all to raise. Right? Well, better bring some imps along as backup, just in case.

Progress board:
    jhsea8.jpg
    Round 2 exhibition: Breeder's Prize
    +2 points per pet you own, -1 point per mutation token on all your pets

Round 3 customer: Lich Lord
    +3 points per color of Disease needs assigned, +1 point per Anger
    -1 point per Hunger, -1 point per suffering

Main board:
    2d9a546.jpg
    Petz:
    Drago (size 3, carnivore)
    Baby Golem (size 2, omnivore)
    Wormie (size 2, herbivore)
    Bubl the fish (size 2, omnivore)

Cages:
    3 Strength / 0 Antimagic
    1 Strength / 1 Antimagic / 1 Play
    0 Strength / 1 Antimagic / 2 Play

Addons:
    +1 Meat
    +1 Play

Food available:
    Meat stand: 2 meat
    Mixed food stand: 1 meat, 1 vegetable
    Vegetable stand: 2 vegetable

Artifacts:
    Crystal Ball (before drawing new need cards, you may discard up to three cards and draw the same colors that you discarded.)
    Whip of Obedience (+0.5 to exhibition points per round)

Player boards:
    152lu94.jpg
    Right now, everyone has the same thing: An empty, recently used cage (still has poop in it) with 1 Strength and 1 Antimagic

Sir Fabulous and 38thDoe receives 1 gold.
    Cerberus and blahmcblah receives 2 gold.

Everyone PM me your imp groupings! Also need your color preference. (red's already taken)

XiV on
  • Options
    Hades Three Headed Dogz Store
    (It's one hell of a shop!)

• Options
    Question: How do the cards work when they have

Anger (+Magic)

Do you pick one, does it cover both etc? Just need that bit explaining for me if you dont mind.

• Options
    That confused me too.

XiV wrote: »
    They're optional. You need to clarify whether you're playing it as a Hunger or Hunger+Anger, for example.

I agree the rules are a handful, but they're written in a way that makes it fun to read!

Here's the setup for the first round, let's see if pictures can entice more people to play:
    2d9a546.jpg

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Huh, the ability to read, that would have been useful! I'll take that when I next level up...

Thanks 38thDoe

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Impy and Son's Magickal Extravaganza

Sir Fabulous on

• Options
    Feh, like anyone would go there, they can't even Color their sign properly.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I'll have you know that colour blindness is a proud Impy and Son tradition.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Blah's Baby Bestiary

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Round 1, Shopping Phase

Imp Groupings:

Impy and Son's Magickal Extravaganza
    1 imp + 2 gold
    2 imps
    1 imp + 1 gold
    1 imp
    1 imp

Gary's Pokemon Shack
    1 imp + 1 gold
    2 imps
    1 imp
    1 imp
    1 imp

Hades Three Headed Dogz Store
    2 imp + 1 gold
    2 imps
    2 imps

Blah's Baby Bestiary
    2 imps + 2 gold
    2 imps + 1 gold
    2 imps + 1 gold

Order of play:

blahmcblah (group size 4)
    Sir Fabulous (group size 3)
    Cerberus (group size 3)
    blahmcblah (group size 3)
    blahmcblah (group size 3)
    Sir Fabulous (group size 2)
    38thDoe (group size 2)
    Cerberus (group size 2)
    38thDoe (group size 2)
    Cerberus (group size 2)
    Sir Fabulous (group size 1)
    38thDoe (group size 1)
    38thDoe (group size 1)
    38thDoe (group size 1)

(Sir Fabulous, you did not specify what to do with your last 2 imps, so I assume they are split into groups of 1).

Starting from @blahmcblah, every player either sends their group to a market space or pass (keep them home). Follow the order stated above

As the order of play is pretty irregular, it would be appreciated if you @ the player after you as a courtesy reminder.

XiV on
  • Options
    Uh fine. I didn't want any monsters anyways.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Take artifacts!

@Sir Fabulous

• Options
    Oh yeah I forgot you have to divide them into groups even if you're just going to keep them at home.

• Options
    I'll buy me a Drago.

@Cerberus

• Options
    I'll take the baby golem thing that I can't be bothered to look up the name of! I am a terrible person

@blahmcblah x2

• Options
    It's called Baby Golem, actually. And I wanted him. :(

Take Bubl and the middle cage.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Current board:

imhudg.jpg
    Remaining action spaces:
    Cage
    Addon
    Meat stand
    Vegetable stand
    Mixed food stand
    Hospital
    Immigration
    Volunteer to judge (no point going here this turn)
    Book selling platform

Round 1, Shopping Phase continued

Order of play:

38thDoe (group size 2)
    Cerberus (group size 2)
    38thDoe (group size 2)
    Cerberus (group size 2)
    38thDoe (group size 1)
    38thDoe (group size 1)
    38thDoe (group size 1)

XiV on
  • Options
    I'll take that top cage.

@38thDoe

• Options
    Assign group of two imps to welcome immigrating Imps off the boat.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Take the play cage upgrade

@Sir Fabulous

• Options
    I'll buy food from the Meat Stand.

@38thDoe