As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS4] 399.99. No DRM. No Online Required.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Read the last page and a half, plenty of ideas for the touchpad are given.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Hard to tell, but it looks like that might have the crappy not-trigger L2/R2 still...

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaand here come the fanboys.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    IGN is reporting today the L2/R2 are more like the 360 triggers.

Wootie woot woot

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    They can be analog triggers if they want. Just make them concave along with the sticks.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Allforce wrote: »

Not to be that guy, but I re-read the last three pages and, well, I didn't see a single touchpad idea. Feel free to quote 'em if I missed 'em.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Shape looks closer to the 360 pad, did the PS3 one have that 1/8" stereo jack at the bottom? Ha, wow, that really makes it look like the 360 controller for some reason. That touch pad is just weird, no idea what's up with that. Maybe you can give Drake a back massage with it when he gets tired or stiff after some intense ledge to ledge jumps. Everyone I know who has a PS3 uses it as a Netflix/Blu Ray player and has 2 or 3 games. My friends list is pretty much "Last seen 3 months ago.", except for the Netflix users. My 360 friends list always has 4 or 5 people on from the same group - so I'm curious to see how this "We're all games all the time" works out for them.

On any given weekend, I'll have four or five different PSN friends cycle through my list. Several of them are even PA folks. I added most of them from the NFS thread, but I'm sure any of the active game threads have a similar list.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not to be that guy, but I re-read the last three pages and, well, I didn't see a single touchpad idea. Feel free to quote 'em if I missed 'em.

Nosf wrote: »
    That touch pad is just weird, no idea what's up with that. Maybe you can give Drake a back massage with it when he gets tired or stiff after some intense ledge to ledge jumps.

Although not a serious suggestion, I did get a laugh out of it :)

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I like the idea of a touchpad, a mouse cursor not controlled by an analogue stick would be pleasant. Even stuff like rotating your finger clockwise to zoom in and anti clockwise to zoom out would be nice. Then again I'm very used to using laptop touch pads.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I love the idea of melding a touch pad with a standard controller. I love the U-pad and I'll love it on the dual shock 4.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Seems very possible that The Last Guardian may have been moved to the PS4.

I wouldn't rate it very likely we'll see something on the 20th but until then I can keep dreaming.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If the architecture of the PS4 is so different than the PS3, I don't see how that game could possibly come out any time soon.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    At this point, I would legitimately be more surprised if The Last Guardian came out on the PS3 instead of next gen.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The WSJ is reporting that the PS4 will stream PS3 games. Insert joke about not being able to wait to rebuy all your games here.

• Options

I meant from Arcadians, not Sony. Just general speculative shit.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

I thought I'd posted one but I guess I forgot.

Camera controls, particularly in games with 2D camera movement (strategy games, strategy RPGs, side scrollers and so on).
    If the architecture of the PS4 is so different than the PS3, I don't see how that game could possibly come out any time soon.

Porting from PS3 to PS4 should be pretty easy from what I can tell. Parts of the engine may've been specifically designed for the Cell but they'd just need to be re-engineered. The fact that the PS4 is far more powerful in pretty much every way should make up a lot of the difference.

Having said that, if they've moved The Last Guardian over to the PS4, the decision to do so would've been made a while ago. And if that's true, they wouldn't have been even developing it on PS3 anyway, they would've been developing it on PC and then ported it to the PS4 once the dev kits arrived (which should be very easy).

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    People said the same thing about the Emotion Engine, given how much more powerful Cell was than that. Yet they needed hardware BC to make it work, then once they got the software BC up and running it proved to be too much and they slowly stripped it out.

Emulating a 7-core Cell architecture perfectly would be a herculean task. Probably why they are likely offloading it to server farms.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    What does emulation have to do with anything? We're talking about porting.

And you're wrong about PS2 emulation anyway, the Emotion Engine was never the issue. The "partially emulated" PS2 backwards compatibility (in all PAL launch systems and 60GB US ones) emulated the Emotion Engine but still had the Graphics Synthesizer (the PS2 GPU) within. And the problem with that was specifically with the Graphics Synthesizer's VRAM bandwidth, which the PS3 had absolutely no chance of matching (48 GB/s vs. 22.4 GB/s).

I have no idea how they eventually overcame that bottleneck with the PS2 Classics releases but I can only guess that the games that work, didn't use the memory as well as they could've. And that would explain why none of the PS2 games that were actually technically impressive have shown up on the PSN (though most have already been ported to PS3 as HD Collections anyway).

Edit: And yes, I agree that Gaikai is the best way of delivering PS3 BC.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'll buy a PS4 for Last Guardian.

I think this is Sony's secret ploy to keep me buying their consoles on release, they know I'll never learn to actually wait to see if it ever comes out.

I'll be 105, rocking backwards and forwards on my holo-chair, sipping my soylent-cola, eagerly anticipating the release of the PSμ when I die.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    The WSJ is reporting that the PS4 will stream PS3 games. Insert joke about not being able to wait to rebuy all your games here.

Would you actually be buying the game, though ? Or buying the right to temporarily access the game ?

So it's more like renting your old games, for a cost, and playing them over the internet. And all for the bargain price of buying a new console. :)

I can't wait for some actual officially released information, from both Sony and Microsoft. If these rumours are true, about BC and second hand games, not working I think both consoles might have a difficult launch.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'll buy a PS4 for Last Guardian.

I think this is Sony's secret ploy to keep me buying their consoles on release, they know I'll never learn to actually wait to see if it ever comes out.

I'll be 105, rocking backwards and forwards on my holo-chair, sipping my soylent-cola, eagerly anticipating the release of the PSμ when I die.

Sony won me over with the Vita but if they move the Last Guardian over to the ps 4.... Yeah, I'll be picking one up.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if the no used games thing ends up being true sony and microsoft are going to have to do some serious shit to get me on board. their own versions of steam sales, for example.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    if the no used games thing ends up being true sony and microsoft are going to have to do some serious shit to get me on board. their own versions of steam sales, for example.

I don't see either of them doing it, tbh.

Neither wants to run the risk of being the only one to block used games

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    They can be analog triggers if they want. Just make them concave along with the sticks.
    This is all I'm asking for. Give me triggers dammit!

• Options

Microsoft's the only one rumoured to have done it and even then, that's still just a rumour.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Sony posted a PS1 retrospective. Looks like they're gearing up for Wednesday.

http://youtu.be/U7w5i_YCFmQ

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The biggest thing is that Sony is going to try its damndest to prevent the PSN hack style scenario from happening again. for a while there, it was speculated that Sony would try to patent some way to lock a game to an account or PS4, and that's where the no used sales thing came from.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    The Last Guardian is still a thing?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gaikai's probably the best possible option for BC since Cell has Sony backed into a corner. Let's just hope that there aren't any lag, bandwidth or additional fee issues.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular

PSN has regular sales and sometimes with high discounts. I know it's not as big as the Steam sales but compared to Xbox Live they definitely offer better details on digital downloads, and more often too.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    ibxon1DR9B6odh.png

I said damn.

I'm skeptical of their claims, yet moved by their passion. This better be something really big.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ibxon1DR9B6odh.png

I said damn.

I'm skeptical of their claims, yet moved by their passion. This better be something really big.

It's fun to watch Sony go from extreme hubris to extreme humility. I guess they're on an upswing.

• Options
    I wonder if those are bought by Sony's new ad team or if they are a stopgap company?

Also, I'm saving a picture of that - if Sony announces even one of their franchises that they've been putting out over the last 10 years I'm going to call them out as hypocrites. There is nothing wrong with sequels.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wonder if those are bought by Sony's new ad team or if they are a stopgap company?

Also, I'm saving a picture of that - if Sony announces even one of their franchises that they've been putting out over the last 10 years I'm going to call them out as hypocrites. There is nothing wrong with sequels.

Mario is kiddeh, Drake is sexeh, m i rite.

But yeah if there's an Uncharted demonstration I will be smiling to myself.

• Options
    There's some chatter about how the Gaikai streaming is still going to be difficult because the machine has to be running somewhere to be streamed back to our PS4s.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'll be honest: I'd rather hear about this than the PS4.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Most recent word on rumor street is it is being moved to PS4.

• Options
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Most recent word on rumor street is it is being moved to PS4.

Wow, really?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Those new analogue sticks look SO MUCH BETTER for grip. And I am so glad to see more companies adopt speakers in the controllers, you can do some really neat things with that.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

How so? Seems like it's talking about how much Nintendo milks Mario, not the fact that they make sequels (which everyone does).

But even so, it's just trash talk to drum up interest and hype, nothing to take seriously. The GAF thread on it was insane, filled with people losing their shit and others blatantly trolling. Videogames are serious business, folks.

This discussion has been closed.