As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EotE] Escape from Mos Shuuta, (ended)

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in Critical Failures
tereez-av_zpse8fd1f84.png
NotoriusBEN as Tereez, the Bounty Hunter - anything to keep his sister safe
oskaras-story_zpsa379d012.jpg

skrask-av_zpsf6de8941.jpg
Lord_Asmodeus as Skrask, the Explorer - a Rebel on the run
Part of a far traveling clan of Trandoshan hunters and warriors, always searching for exotic and dangerous new prey to hunt, Skrask learned on the rough edge of technology and civilization how to survive on the remotest worlds known and unknown to the Galaxy, and how to hunt the beasts that lived there. Part of a religious sect of Scorekeeper followers, who believed Jagannath points were awarded not only for the fearsome nature of the prey, but also the difficulty of the Hunt. They looked on many of the T'doshok back home, especially the slaves of the Blackscale clan with disdain, seeing them as craven before the Scorekeeper for their cowardly methods.

Skrask from an early age learned to dislike the Empire and what his clan viewed as their corrupting influence on the T'doshok. When he came of age, after many years of hunting beasts and learning to live on his own in the wild, he decided to join the Rebellion. His skills could be put to great use by the Rebellion, there would be many fierce enemies to hunt, and he could help throw the Empire off his world forever. Perhaps, when the Empire was gone, the T'doshok could get their own Senator...

After proving himself to the Rebellion and building camaraderie with a number of other scouts, he volunteered for what he knew would likely be a suicide mission, and the Rebel Alliance did little to dissuade him or other volunteers of that fact, among them many of his good friends. Skrask was prepared to face death, especially if - when - he succeeded. The mission was to travel to a world called Onderon, and kill an Imperial VIP, hidden in the remote jungles and surrounded by security.

Skrask was indeed successful, tearing the Imperial limb from limb with his bear claws, unfortunately, his comrades were not so successful, and Skrask barely escape with his life, he even had to leave an arm behind, as the doors closed faster than he though they would, and he had a quite large bounty placed on him by Imperial authorities.

He laid low on Onderon for a while, growing his arm back and serving as a scout through the jungles. He was growing sick of the world however. It had nothing to offer him, the Hunt was old here, and he had lost many of his friends on the world. To make matters worse, on his latest trip to one of the starports dotting the world to pick up work, he was identified by one of his previous clients, eager to earn a part of the large bounty, to the Imperial authorities.

Having to leave the world with haste, Skrask found passage on the ship of a smuggler named Pash, who was indebted to a Hutt named Teemo. Pash introduced Skrask to a couple of his friends, 41-VEX the droid doctor, and Mathus, a technician, both in service to Teemo. Unfortunately, trouble followed close behind, and Teemo soon learned of Skrask's bounty.

Ordinarily, Hutts avoided the attention of the Imperials, even for a bounty, however the Imperials were already pressing Teemo for something he'd gotten involved in in the Core Worlds, and Skrask caught wind that he was going throw Skrask under the Speeder to save his own hide. With the Imperial authorities closing in, Skrask needs to get off Tatooine, and soon. Fortunately, 41-VEX and Mathus want out too, maybe Skrask could even convince them to return with him to the Rebellion.
41-VEX-av_zps4b926a26.jpg
A Dabble of Thelonius as 41-VEX, the Colonist - tricked to serve a Hutt
41-VEXs-story_zpsb82eed24.jpg

lowhhrick-av_zps6c346a41.jpg
Capfalcon as Lowhhrick, the Hired Gun - enslaved and forced to fight
lowhhricks-story_zpsa882848e.jpg

Archived characters:
kal-av_zpscc7f2789.png
MegaMek as Kal Reshin, the Colonist - deep in the Hutt's debt
MegaMek - Kal is motivated by his job. He was sent to the outer rim to find new revenue streams for his employer, and can't come back empty handed. He's obligated to Teemo the Hutt for the debt he's taken on during his stint on the rim worlds.

jdarksun - So Teemo's looking to cash in on this debt, and is turning the heat up. How'd you meet Mathus, Pash, and Tereez?

MegaMek - Kal knows he's up to his ear analogues in debt and has been trying for weeks to scrape together some people for a job he heard about from an acquaintance of an acquaintance. Way I figure it, he managed to round up a crew at one of the local area's lousier cantinas.
mathus-av_zps89a0c9da.jpg
Kilnaga as Mathus, the Technician - given an offer he couldn't refuse
mathus-story_zps70ebba50.jpg

pash-av_zps743d25dc.jpg
Infidel as Pash, the Smuggler - not his lucky day
pashs-story_zps9242f217.jpg
mathus-av_zps89a0c9da.jpg
Xaviar as Mathus, the Technician - given an offer he couldn't refuse
mathus-story_zps70ebba50.jpg

What is this?
A PbP game of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, a narrative RPG by Fantasy Flight Games. Escape from Mos Shuuta (note: not schutta) is an adventure published with the EotE Beginner's Game, a preview/pared-down version of the upcoming release. For the most part, I'll be using the rules as written (exception: using the Critical table from the Beta book).

How do I play?
The basic mechanic to do any challenging or opposed action is simple: you assemble a pool of dice, roll them, and count up the symbols. There are two axes of symbols: Success/Failure and Advantage/Threat. If you have more Successes than Failures, you succeed. But you can succeed with Threats, and fail with Advantages (and vice versa). That's where the narrative system comes into play: let's say you take a shot a Stormtrooper, and you miss horribly (3 failures) but still manage to have something useful happen (3 advantages). Maybe you force him to duck behind cover, giving you a chance to catch your breath (reduce the Strain you've suffered). Or maybe you hit a nearby power converter, sending a shower of sparks onto him - and screwing up his next shot (+Setback for the Stormtrooper). Or maybe you shot the gun out of his hands (Disarmed).

You say what you want to do, I help determine the dice pool, you roll, and make up a story that goes along with the result. Good times are had by all.

Anything else I need to know?
Make an account on Orokos and Roll20 if you haven't already, we'll be using those to roll dice and for maps respectively.

jdarksun on

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Ohh Ohh sweet

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I have the beta rules, but I haven't really checked it out yet, though this does look interesting. I'd probably go for 41-VEX if I do decide to play, I like droid characters, and there no Rodians :P

As for rolling, does Orokos have dice for the game, or do you just determine which decide do what and assign outcomes for them? I'm a bit confused on how it works.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !Pash

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Orokos has dice for EotE.

!Mathus

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I have the beta rules, but I haven't really checked it out yet, though this does look interesting. I'd probably go for 41-VEX if I do decide to play, I like droid characters, and there no Rodians :P

As for rolling, does Orokos have dice for the game, or do you just determine which decide do what and assign outcomes for them? I'm a bit confused on how it works.
    If you have the beta rules, I'm not opposed to you rolling a Rodian. We'll just set your Obligation and Motivation to be something compatible with whatever character you'd be substituting for.

Infidel has been so kind as to add Narrative Dice functionality into Orokos, so we're set there.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    !41-VEX

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hmm, alright, then I think I'll roll a Rodian substitute for !Sasha

I've never made a character for EotE before obviously, so I'm open to suggestions on how best to approach it.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh crap, sorry Asmod. I was messing around with color code when you posted that. You want 41? He's all yours if so.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No that's okay, if Jdarksun is alright with me rolling a Rodian it's a fair trade.

Edit: I was considering, for irony, asking if I could switch out Lowhhrick with a Trandoshan. Will probably stick with the Rodian replacing Sasha though.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm fine with rolling whatever; you can swap in a 'dosh for the wookiee or a Rodian explorer or whatev.

Can you get on IRC? Easier to walk through character creation live. irc.slashnet.org #criticalfailures

Also, if there are more people who want to play, I can run two games of this as easily as one.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm fine with rolling whatever; you can swap in a 'dosh for the wookiee or a Rodian explorer or whatev.

Can you get on IRC? Easier to walk through character creation live. irc.slashnet.org #criticalfailures

Also, if there are more people who want to play, I can run two games of this as easily as one.

Hmm, I'm actually sort of leaning toward the Dosh, though I might stick with replacing Sarah. It'd be amusing to play with whoever grabs Lowhhrick. I am on the IRC chat to do the character creation stuff live.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I would totally like to play. A bit unclear on the rules though, so I need to reread them.

I'd like Lowhhrick, if he hasn't been spoken for.

• Options
    Right now:

Infidel as Pash
    Kilnaga as Mathus
    A Dabble of Thelonius as 41-VEX
    Lord_Asmodeus as Skrask, Trandoshan Explorer (Scout)
    Capfalcon as Lowhhrick

So you're good. :)

I'm happy to run a game of 5, but if we get another couple interested players, I can split into two groups if desired.

• Options
    I'm also more than willing to sub out if somebody who hasn't got a chance to play EotE yet wants to be Mathus.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, these are premades, right? I don't need to make the sheet?

• Options
    yeah, they're the premades that come in the beginner game set.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    !oskara

Not a fan of twi'leks, but eh, bounty hunter that's cool, i'll roll with that. just be ready for memes from robot chicken :P

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
  • Options
    We have enough people for two games. If you're looking at this and thinking, "Gosh, I'd like to sign up, but 41-VEX is already taken," go ahead and sign up. I'm already converting the assets for one game, running two isn't going to be any more difficult.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Do we still need to grab equipment for Skrask, or were you just going to go with the vibro-knife, brass knuckles, heavy clothing, etc.?

Also, a bit of a nitpick but you didn't add the 1 level of Brawl or Melee on the sheet.

Oh, I also cropped the Trandoshan head I liked for the portrait

2vkc4rb.png

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    Still need to do equipment - you've got 500c, go nuts. ;)

Oops, my bad. Will fix that today. Will also look for a dark yellow or something to fill those boxes, green was a bad choice.

• Options
    Do my Trandoshan claws count as a Brawling weapon, and does getting a second brawling weapon override them?

• Options
    Considering the experience penalty Trandoshans get, I'm going to say that the damage is additive and the critical rating (the number of Advantage symbols required to activate a crit) overrides.

Wookiees get something similar and have a similar XP penalty.

• Options
    Alright my gear is Brass Knuckles, Vibro-Knife, Heavy Clothing, A Handheld Comlink, 6 Ration Packs, Datapad, 2 Glowrods, Breath Mask.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    We have enough people for two games. If you're looking at this and thinking, "Gosh, I'd like to sign up, but 41-VEX is already taken," go ahead and sign up. I'm already converting the assets for one game, running two isn't going to be any more difficult.
    !Mathus

[edit]
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    I'm also more than willing to sub out if somebody who hasn't got a chance to play EotE yet wants to be Mathus.
    Or if you were serious about this? I have no desire to kick you from a slot, but I exactly fit your criteria..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Swapping her race out is trivial if you'd rather play a Bothan or whatever.

Yea sure, I'll go with a bothan.
    here's a token for the game board too.
    th_Bothan.png

Tereez Oktra'syk

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Or if you were serious about this? I have no desire to kick you from a slot, but I exactly fit your criteria..
    We're one more guy from being able to run two full games, so that's not a problem. :)

• Options
    I've got the first two encounters laid out in Roll 20, and have the backgrounds for the rest of the module uploaded. Both games will start as soon as we get one more!

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    I'll sign up for the second then!

I have some characters made up I can use.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Groovy - toss me a PM and we can sort through it, or I'll be on #criticalfailures in about 9 hours.

• Options
    Working group distribution. Where A Dabble of Thelonius and MegaMek end up is going to depend on MegMek's character, but initial indications are:

Group 1:
    A Dabble of Thelonius as 41-VEX or MegaMek as <character>
    Kilnaga as Mathus
    NotoriusBEN as Oskara
    Infidel as Pash

Group 2:
    A Dabble of Thelonius as 41-VEX or MegaMek as <character>
    Capfalcon as Lowhhrick
    Xaviar as Mathus
    Lord_Asmodeus as Skrask

If you don't have accounts on Roll20 and Orokos, please make them, as we will be using those tools for maps and dice respectively.

@Xaviar, Mathus' character sheet is available from FFG's website as a small pdf or a large pdf.

@NotoriusBEN, I'll PM you the basic Oskara character sheet, but there will be some minor differences. Do you want me to gen you up a full one (really easy for me), or do you prefer a Google Doc? Also, do you want to keep the name/gender of the character, or do you want to swap that out as well?

• Options
    Yea, go ahead and toggle the differences for me, I'd prefer it as a pic like the one you linked for me with oskara's character sheet.
    I went ahead and changed the name to Tereez Oktra'syk and he's a guy.

I need to go out and buy the starter kit myself so that I can do my own number crunching.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Group 1:
    MegaMek as Kal Reshin, Twi'lek Colonist
    Kilnaga as Mathus, Human Technician
    Infidel as Pash, Human Smuggler
    NotoriusBEN as Tereez Oktra'syk, Bothan Bounty Hunter

Group 2:
    A Dabble of Thelonius as 41-VEX, Droid Colonist
    Capfalcon as Lowhhrick, Wookiee Hired Gun
    Xaviar as Mathus, Human Technician
    Lord_Asmodeus as Skrask, Trandoshan Explorer

New threads coming up, game start announcements after lunch.

• Options
    ESCAPE FROM MOS SHUUTA

It is a period of unrest and opportunity in the galaxy. The Galactic Empire struggles to maintain control in the midst of civil war. Meanwhile, scoundrels and smugglers, explorers and expatriates, and fringers of all types scramble for a living on the edges of galactic civilization. it is a hard life, but these renegades have more freedom and opportunity than any citizen of the Core Worlds.

On the desert world of TATOOINE, a few such renegades have run afoul of a local crime boss, TEEMO THE HUTT. Trapped in the tiny spaceport of Mos Shuuta, the renegades have no choice but to steal a starship and feel Teemo's forces. Fortunately, a suitable starship has recently docked at the landing bay: a freighter called the KRAYT FANG, captained by a Trandoshan slaver named Trex. As they flee through the suns-baked streets, the renegades duck into the local cantina to hide from their pursuers...

• Options
    @MegaMek, @Kilnaga, @Infidel, @NotoriusBEN, the first thing I need from you guys is a roll of a Force die. This determines the starting Destiny Pool - a shared resource between player and GM. You guys use it to upgrade your skill checks, and generally make good things happen. I do the same - for the bad guys.

The size of the pool is fixed, but its contents change. On a player's turn, they can take one of the Light Side tokens to use - and flip it over to Dark Side. I do the same, except exchanging Dark Side to Light. This can only be done once per turn.

Example Force die roll: 1eF DS

Please use jdarksun's Escape from Mos Shuuta (Group 1) for the Campaign.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    : 1eF 0

Ugh

MegaMek on
  • Options
    Since the EotE dice roller on Orokos looks at totals, all Force die results look like "0". You actually rolled a Light Side point (the "LS" in the results). That's good! You can exchange that to help out the good guys, hurt the bad guys, or "declare" something about a scene (like "the controls that activate the door to rancor's pit are right next to me.").

• Options
    The ugh was from having to edit the post 5 times because my phone hates copy/pasting things. But that's great to know because I also didn't read that right, so cool!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    FORCE DIE!: 1eF 0 [1eF=DS]

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Nice shot brickout... rolled a 0

oh i see it now. I rolled a DS point.

a4irovn5uqjp.png