As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT][CHAT][CHAT][CHAT][CHAT] [CHAT] Thread

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Planetside 2 makes me want to kick the developers right in the balls. How does someone release such a buggy product and call it finished.

And every patch makes it even worse.

The main-floor developers aren't typically the ones that decide to release games with bugs.

• Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Fugitive wrote: »
    But because the games never end, and bases change hands constantly just depending on who's online at the time, it seems like kind of a waste of energy. You can spend 20 minutes getting to a hill to lay down suppressing fire on an enemy emplacement, spend another 15-20 minutes laying siege, and then either die and start the whole thing over again, or win the base that will change hands several more times while you're at work or sleeping.

That's why I stopped playing. It's fun, but it's not even like a normal FPS where at the end of the round, one team wins and then that's it. You get a sense of accomplishment from that at least. In PS2, you take over a bunch of stuff and are like FUCK YEAH AMERICA and then when you wake up it's all another colour, so all that for nothing. Well, less than nothing.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Planetside 2 makes me want to kick the developers right in the balls. How does someone release such a buggy product and call it finished.

And every patch makes it even worse.

The main-floor developers aren't typically the ones that decide to release games with bugs.

You know, I totally get that. But at some point where every "patch" just adds in more bugs than it fixes the devs need to get their shit together.

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Really, someone needs to make a Natty Select-style game with 100 players, open environments, and vehicles.

MMO's have their place. I don't think the FPS genre in general is really a good dovetail.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I kind of feel like capturing a defended base (or warding off an assault) in PS2 is analogous to a match victory in a standard FPS game. I can't really agree with bemoaning a lack of permanence to base capturing in a genre where the design standard is for your winning a match is to have no permanence whatsoever.

When you win a game of Battlefield it doesn't change how the next match will play, and you stop "owning" that territory literally immediately because it ceases to exist.

I guess if you're playing the game in a very utilitarian and progress-oriented way by taking as much territory as possible, rather than seeking out the most entertaining engagements, it might become a somewhat hollow experience when you realize how transient base ownership is. It's one of the reasons I stopped following the PA Vanu outfit around-- too much sitting around capturing backwater shitholes when there were great tech plant or biolab battles happening.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    That's how I see each base capture. It's just a round of a normal FPS.

I still never got why people like to capture empty bases. It's like joining an empty BF3 server, capping all the bases, and going "yay! I won!"

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    All of this sounds super fun. But alas, my computer barely runs minecraft on minimal settings. Guess I'll just stick to crappy Xbox BF3 and cry into my pillow.

• Options
    minecraaaaaaft

I can see myself getting into minecraft again. I usually really like exploring and trying to find caverns in the earth. Soo awesome

• Options
    I get lost in caves. They should release a ball of twine in a new update so I can Theseus my way out of there.

• Options
    I just follow my trail of torches

• Options
    I always tell myself that I'm going to leave a neat trail of torches but I get cave ADD and go down every passage I see. I can't be trusted to mine.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    SE++ is still running a multiplayer server that I hear is pretty sweet

and G+T has 2-3 servers that keep reincarnating themselves

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    It's been a busy weekend around here! Lots of posts to catch up on :D AOB, awesome tutorial you made for that comic thread.

• Options
    Ted Talks is quite possibly the best thing on the internet

• Options
    If you get list in caves you should.seal up a passage way with blocks after you explore it. That way you can find your easy way out

• Options
    No, no, no... dig up, stupid.

• Options
    ninjai wrote: »

See also;

Khan Academy
    Coursera
    Crash Course

• Options
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »

See also;

Khan Academy
    Coursera
    Crash Course

Oh, man. Ted talks is enough to catch up on. Now I'll never have free time!
    no srsly, thanks for the recommendations

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Apropos of nothing, It is incredibly weird to see how humongous Homestuck has become. I don't even read MSPA really, but It has recently struck me just how often I see Homestuck avatars and fan art and images of people cosplaying as the guys with horns, apparently there's also like a multimillion dollar kickstarter for a Homestuck game, and it's just really surreal. Mostly because I remember back when SO's site was a weird little secret clubhouse and he was doing post by post comics about pumpkins and keys.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it is

really weird.

• Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    I totally crashed on that dude's couch once. That's really going to be my claim to fame in the end.

• Options
    I once read all of homestuck over the course of a few days, and then followed it religiously afterwards for a month or two.

I stopped reading because it was wandering aimlessly, and the fact that it is still going has completely and totally vindicated me. Now and again I think "hey homestuck is pretty cool I should go try to to catch up" and then I realize I'd need to read thousands of pages to do that, whereupon I have absolutely no guilt in just letting it pass me by.

On another topic alltogether,

I'm looking for advice on self-branding but I don't know if I should do that in my thread or put it in the January self-improve thread. Thoughts?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    See, the ironic thing is that many people who followed it religiously at the beginning thought "shit this is wandering aimlessly" and gave up. It really is one of those things where archive bingeing is a totally different experience than reading it as it updates.

That said, it's getting time to wind it down and I don't begrudge anyone who got sick of it along the way. Watching an experimental WIP in real time can be pretty frustrating.

tynic on
  • Options
    it doesn't help that it is presented in such a unique format. I don't just have to look at pictures, I have to open and read difficult-to-follow pesterlogs with intentionally difficult colors and symbols. While it is a super-cool storytelling format to work through, it can be very fatiguing.

• Options
    Oh absolutely. I've always felt that I appreciate the conceit of the project much more than the actual outcome, although there are patches of sheer brilliance along the way. Regardless, you have to admire the talent Andrew has always had for tapping into some kind of memetic subconscious and taking his work viral.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Ted Talks can be really great, but I've found you have to be discerning with them. A lot talks I've listened to have had a lot of iffy pseudoscience.

And I'd love to do Minecraft sometime, if we could collectively set up a time and a date. I don't think I've ever played any games with you guys.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Some AC folks got in on Ein's build server a few maps back and it worked out pretty well- i think @Wakkawa had a castle or something? Anyway Ein posted a page or two back about the logo for the latest incarnation of that. Once it is up it should be a very friendly environment for AC people to build cool stuff in.

Molybdenum on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Sounds cool. I'm in a weird timezone so I'll have to see if I can catch you guys.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    for some reason i thought you guys were talking about shoes and got excited to see what sort of shoes Fug liked when i clicked those links

: C

I haven't bought a pair of shoes in probably 5 years

In part because I usually buy all my apparel from thrift stores/Goodwill, so my choices at any given time generally consist of "a nondescript pair of worn black sneakers, a nondescript pair of plain brown dress shoes, and some crazy cowboy boots that are 2 sizes too small".

And in part because I keep forgetting.

Mostly its because guys' fashion kind of blows if you're on a really tight budget, tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EVB7xtqJHY

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Flay wrote: »
    Ted Talks can be really great, but I've found you have to be discerning with them. A lot talks I've listened to have had a lot of iffy pseudoscience.

Yeah, and that's totally fine. I take most of science with a grain of salt, because a lot of findings are based on unproved concepts. Say, the higgs boson, or dark matter. It's still fascinating to listen to :P

I watch for stuff like this

lupnE.jpg

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LBltePDZw&feature=player_embedded#!

Molybdenum wrote: »
    I once read all of homestuck over the course of a few days, and then followed it religiously afterwards for a month or two.

I stopped reading because it was wandering aimlessly, and the fact that it is still going has completely and totally vindicated me.

I started reading when it was only a few pages, cuz I was finishing problem sleuth, and I forgot about it. When I came back to it, act 3 was on. I remember really struggling to get through the first act because it felt like it was wandering aimlessly, but that is why I find it so awesome. There's so many tiny details that seem miniscule, or a waste of time, but then somewhere down the line everything gets tied neatly in a knot. I got lost half way through, and I don't feel like rereading all of it just to stay current.

Though granted when I was reading it I had nothing but free time, so it filled that time nicely. :}

ninjai on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp of having read Problem Sleuth religiously, loved it, started Homestuck, didn't like it so much, forgot about it, went back to it 6 months later and binged on the archive. Then I read it religiously, got bored/lost, haven't gone back since.
    You're right about it being an interesting experiment and seeing how it has grown to this size. And it's especially strange if you're familiar with the original forum-based MSPA or his other projects like Team Special Olympics.

With that I'm interested to see what his next project is. Here's to hoping it's a little more cohesive but still as successful as Homestuck. Based on the rabid nature of the fanbase, there has to be some kind of pressure to make it Homestuck-esque enough, I just hope that doesn't stunt Hussie creatively.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Well, the next project is the Homestuck video game although it sounds like it's not just going to be some sort of video game adaptation of the existing story but rather a new extension/spin-off of the story.

It would be interesting to see smaller more accessible stuff from Andrew but at the same time, it seems like that complexity is part of what brings out the obsessive fans.

• Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    And It Don't Stop is my favorite Hussie project. Not even close to joking, that shit is awesome.

• Options
    Aw shiiiiiiiiii

you guys we need to play some Minecraft together

at some point

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I don't even a minecraft

(I've never played it)

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If someone starts a server, I'm down. I wouldn't be able to take on the expense, Servers are like 30 bucks a month when it gets to the 15-20 people range.

I'm currently playing, but the sever is currently closed to just a small group of my college buddies. Its fun, but we all play at different times. Also the sever has tekkit on it, which is fun, but bogs it down a bit.

All I do in minecraft is resource hoard and build houses.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Wasser - it's fun, you should try it!

It helps if you've got some people who've "started" for you, and have a shelter at night that you can hide in to avoid all the scaries.

Personally, I enjoy it for awhile and then get bored after a few months. But then, I guess that's how I enjoy games a lot of the time: "AAAH SO ADDICTED" and then I don't play anything for 6 months :P

NightDragon on
  • Options
    @mully and I were playing on a friend's minecraft server for a month or so recently (it's run out of a server in his basement). He had all kinds of crazy mods installed and it was awesome. You could build power systems from solar, nuclear, fuel, or thermal sources, make automated quarries that fed into chests and make it auto-sort materials. There were machines that would auto-smelt, crush rocks to give more ore, squeeze more rubber out of trees. There were some magic mods and even beekeeping too. It was buggy at times but there was so much to it that it kept our attention longer than just vanilla minecraft ever had.

It was using modpacks from the FeedTheBeast installer.

• Options
    bombardier wrote: »
    @mully and I were playing on a friend's minecraft server for a month or so recently (it's run out of a server in his basement). He had all kinds of crazy mods installed and it was awesome. You could build power systems from solar, nuclear, fuel, or thermal sources, make automated quarries that fed into chests and make it auto-sort materials. There were machines that would auto-smelt, crush rocks to give more ore, squeeze more rubber out of trees. There were some magic mods and even beekeeping too. It was buggy at times but there was so much to it that it kept our attention longer than just vanilla minecraft ever had.

It was using modpacks from the FeedTheBeast installer.

This.....sounds.......amazing

Also I know it's been awhile for me but you can make rubber from trees now!?!?1?/1

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Feed the beast sounds like Tekkit, both have industrial craft, which I guess is the main thing.

I can barely wrap my head around powering my damn macerator.

This discussion has been closed.