As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons & Dragons at PAX East 2013

• Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    (nevermind)

N13 on
  • Options
    AsmodeusLoreAsmodeusLore Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    GlaiveGuy wrote: »
    For Mines of Madness, are characters provided or can we make our own?
    I know that Pre-Generated Characters are provided for Danger at Darkshelf.
    I don't know for certain about Mines of Madness, but I strongly suspect it will be pre-gens as well.

AsmodeusLore on
  • Options
    Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    Zora wrote: »
    Are you going to have Learn to Play sessions in 4e this year?
    Kiki_lou wrote: »
    Will there be any 4e games going on? Or is there anyone planning on running one on their own?

Zora, Kiki, if you guys find 4-6 players, I'll run a 4e Learn To Play game for you. I don't think it can be officially sanctioned though.

^ I'm definitely in for some 4e action, if this happens.

I've been playing for 2 years now, so my guy and I would be looking for a full fledged game, not just a learn to play - so let me know if anyone is up to running one!

• Options
    ravnos13ravnos13 Somerville, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I know that Pre-Generated Characters are provided for Danger at Darkshelf.
    I don't know for certain about Mines of Madness, but I strongly suspect it will be pre-gens as well.

As Mines of Madness is the DM's Challenge, pre-made characters are definitely part of it. That event focuses on the DM putting together the best game possible, including characters, and the players vote at the end and whoever gets the highest score wins a prize pack.

The DM we played with last year won, because she was amazing...

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

Passes: Acquired | Buttons: Acquired | April: Too far away...
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    ravnos13 wrote: »
    As Mines of Madness is the DM's Challenge, pre-made characters are definitely part of it. That event focuses on the DM putting together the best game possible, including characters, and the players vote at the end and whoever gets the highest score wins a prize pack.

Thanks, I think I feel more confident about starting with Mines of Madness. I can't really practice since none of my friend in the area are into playing. I wonder if I should brush up on my D&D with a little Baldur's Gate?

• Options
    gonexall wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I feel more confident about starting with Mines of Madness. I can't really practice since none of my friend in the area are into playing. I wonder if I should brush up on my D&D with a little Baldur's Gate?

If you're going in for D&D I would play the regular campaign (Dangers of whatever Quarry) first, as that will be more of an introduction. THEN play Minds of Madness. The DM's Challenge would be rough on a new player, as they're (supposed to be) designed to be challenging.

fss_overall.png

• Options
    zgamer200zgamer200 Registered User regular
    So I'd just like to confirm to my friend that the Dungeon Command Tourney is only on Sunday, not any other day correct? My friend does his bets to pretend that he knows it all and assures me that there will be a Dungeon Command Tourney on Saturday(the only day we're able to go), even after I showed him this thread. I just wanna make sure either way as I'm a big fan of Dungeon Command.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    So I'd just like to confirm to my friend that the Dungeon Command Tourney is only on Sunday, not any other day correct? My friend does his bets to pretend that he knows it all and assures me that there will be a Dungeon Command Tourney on Saturday(the only day we're able to go), even after I showed him this thread. I just wanna make sure either way as I'm a big fan of Dungeon Command.

I haven't played Dungeon Command yet. I want to try it out, hopefully there will be some friendly games going on.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    WilliWilli Registered User regular

Characters will be provided.

• Options
    I haven't played Dungeon Command yet. I want to try it out, hopefully there will be some friendly games going on.
    I'll most likely be trying to get in a few games if they're around. Question though, is the Freeplay Tabletop area also closed at 6 or is it not part of the Expo hall? I wouldn't think it is, but better safe than sorry.

• Options
    GlaiveGuyGlaiveGuy Registered User regular
    Unless something has changed then no it's separate. My comrades and I were playing games into the wee hours last year and intend more of the same this time :rotate:

• Options
    Thank you for the reply my good friend. Then I too shall be playing Dungeon Command into the wee hours of the night(not really I have to leave at 11. I don't have a rride besides for taking the T home). Hopefully I can find a few people who also wanna play a few rounds of Dungeon Command, I'd really like to try out my new STR and CON Warband I made after buying the Orc Set.

• Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    The tabletop area does not close with the expo hall. In years passed D&D has ran till around Midnight and I know Games on Demand plans to be there past midnight this year.

• Options

Your DM may have won last year, but this year, that trophy will be Mine! (insert evil laughter here)
    zgamer200 wrote: »
    The Dungeon Command Tournament is Sunday, 11:00AM. Friendly games are all weekend.

• Options

For both Mines of Madness and Danger at Darkshelf Quarry we will have pregenerated characters.

• Options
    CrunchewyCrunchewy Registered User new member
    edited March 2013
    This is my first PAX and my wife and kids are coming. My kids are excited. My wife is going to read a book. ;):) Anyway, my kids are dying to learn ot play D&D. Is this open to kids? They are 10 and 12. Also where are these going to happen? In the open board game room or whatever it's called?

On a related note. If you learn this D&D Next, how easy will it be to go back to 4th Edition? Because my oldest is getting the 4e books for his birthday. I didn't realize there was a new version coming. Oh well.

Crunchewy on
  • Options
    Crunchewy wrote: »
    This is my first PAX and my wife and kids are coming. My kids are excited. My wife is going to read a book. ;):) Anyway, my kids are dying to learn ot play D&D. Is this open to kids? They are 10 and 12. Also where are these going to happen? In the open board game room or whatever it's called?

On a related note. If you learn this D&D Next, how easy will it be to go back to 4th Edition? Because my oldest is getting the 4e books for his birthday. I didn't realize there was a new version coming. Oh well.

Your kids are certainly welcome as long as you're with them. We will be in the tabletop area.

• Options
    WolfBro87WolfBro87 Registered User regular
    So it looks like a new Playtest Packet for D&D Next will be available on the 20th. It includes the Druid, Ranger, and Cavalier/Blackguard/Warden (aka the Paladin). I really hope that some of these classes will be available for the PAX East games. Link

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Crunchewy wrote: »

The kids are absolutely welcome to participate. They will probably get a huge kick out of it. I'm sure you're probably used to hearing this about pax, in regards to kids, but still, remember that PAX is an explicit event. They may hear some strong language from other tables in the area. Our Judges know how to tone down the language when there is a kid at the table, but sometimes, they don't notice when there is one standing behind them. Also, we can't control what other people at the table say. Depending on your kid's attention span, try to get them into the 2-hour event, instead of the 4-hour event.

There is actually a small bit of confusion right now about where we are going to be. Some of the documents say we will be where we were last year, Floor 0, Hall B. Some of them say we will be in Floor 0, Hall C(far back, right side), which is where there was a food court last year. My guess is that the Hall C will end up being the accurate one. They are both within shouting distance of each other anyways. Your best bet is to come down to the lower level (where the exhibitors are) and and look around the near the back end of the convention center. Look for any big signs with people playing Magic or Dungeons and Dragons, or something saying Wizards of the Coast. That is where you will find us.

4th edition is significantly different than 5e. It is easier to transition from 5e to older editions. This is a difficult question to answer. Your mileage may vary.
    WolfBro87 wrote: »
    So it looks like a new Playtest Packet for D&D Next will be available on the 20th. It includes the Druid, Ranger, and Cavalier/Blackguard/Warden (aka the Paladin). I really hope that some of these classes will be available for the PAX East games. Link
    So, I don't think we actually have a solid answer for this yet. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that we will. Hopefully Willi can answer that one with certainty.

AsmodeusLore on
  • Options
    @AsmodeusLore the phone app has the full map up. It looks like there's a slight redesign to Floor 0. Hall C is most likely correct.

• Options
    Scorpius wrote: »
    @AsmodeusLore the phone app has the full map up. It looks like there's a slight redesign to Floor 0. Hall C is most likely correct.
    Yes, that is why I'm leaning towards Hall C as the correct location.

• Options
    duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    ok this is quite the noob question but I haven't done any D&D at pax. Should I be brining my own die.. (I'm embarrassed to ask but it's been so long since I've P&P gamed that I'm not so sure I can find them!!!)

• Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    ducker wrote: »
    ok this is quite the noob question but I haven't done any D&D at pax. Should I be brining my own die.. (I'm embarrassed to ask but it's been so long since I've P&P gamed that I'm not so sure I can find them!!!)

Generally speaking, you don't need to bring your own dice as the DM/Judge will have some (also half a dozen or more vendors will sell you a basic Chessex set for $10 or less). However, I am pretty picky about my dices and would never think of going to a con without them!

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    If you've got them, bring them. If not, we will have some spares lying around.

• Options
    SnowDogSnowDog Central MARegistered User regular
    While you certainly can bring your own dice, there's something special about buying a new set of dice from the Chessex booth strictly for the purposes of playing D&D at PAX.

(Even better, send your buddy to get them, who will come back with a hot pink set saying they were the only ones left, and then the first natural 20 you roll all weekend will be oh so special....)

• Options
    AthyraAthyra Registered User new member
    Any idea as to what time the line will start for the DM Challenge on Fri night?

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I got Dice from DDO last year, now I have to find them... arrggg

• Options
    Athyra wrote: »
    Any idea as to what time the line will start for the DM Challenge on Fri night?

If it's like last year I think it was an hour before hand? Definitely no less than 30 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it was an hour (we were literally the first people in line...).

fss_overall.png

• Options
    If memory serves me correct they had to cut off the line for the DM's Challenge at about an hour before. If you really want to do it, get there before then.

• Options
    duckerducker MARegistered User regular
    Any tips in getting in to the Mines of Madness scenario Friday Night? I know some people have said they will have lines, I'll definitely check it out earlier in the day of course.

• Options
    nbcaffeinenbcaffeine Registered User regular
    Any tips in getting in to the Mines of Madness scenario Friday Night? I know some people have said they will have lines, I'll definitely check it out earlier in the day of course.

Playing in that game is the one really big thing I want to do, so I'll be there well in advance. That'd be my suggestion.

• Options
    The best advice available is to show up early and get in line. Fortunately, if you miss it Friday night, you can still catch it on Saturday night!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I didn't get a chance to check out the tabletop section last year, so I'm making sure to force time into my schedule this year. My buddy and I haven't played anything in... good god it has to be like 15 years now; that being said, we'll both be newbees to this again. I know you guys said to get there at least 30 minutes prior, but say that I don't. How long would you anticipate the wait to be? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure so that I can adjust things accordingly. I've jam-packed my itinerary with so many panels and events, wiggle room has been hard to come by, but I making it to the tabletop section this year, damnit! *deep breath* I am a leaf on the wind *exhale*

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    The best advice available is to show up early and get in line. Fortunately, if you miss it Friday night, you can still catch it on Saturday night!

Yeah, I think my friends and I got in line last year about 2 hours before the event for the D&D Next preview, and were about 40-50th in line (I think they capped it somewhere around 200, probably about 45min to an hour before the start time).

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    flatline wrote: »
    Yeah, I think my friends and I got in line last year about 2 hours before the event for the D&D Next preview, and were about 40-50th in line (I think they capped it somewhere around 200, probably about 45min to an hour before the start time).

Good god... was I seriously in line for that thing that long... that means I must have been there like... 2 and a half hours early at least. I thought it was only an hour...

fss_overall.png

• Options

Good god... was I seriously in line for that thing that long... that means I must have been there like... 2 and a half hours early at least. I thought it was only an hour...

We played through Cards Against Humanity with 5 people and used every single card (from core set and both expansions)

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I think I remember that. We were up near the front of the line, playing Magic.

More on topic though: Considering everything Wizards is doing at PAX this year is D&D Next, I don't think the lines for Mines of Madness will be as bad as they were last year for the playtest. The playtest was 2+ hours, but the DM's challenge itself was only like... 1, 1.5 hours before hand. Mines of Madness is the DM's Challenge this year (correct me if I'm wrong, I just woke up), so it shouldn't be too bad, especially with two evenings of it and all of the other encounters being D&D Next as well. Definitely sounds like it was better organized this year as far as that goes.

Edit for clarity...

ravnos13 on
    fss_overall.png

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Going on what I was saying about not having played in over 15 years, I was trying to remember the last time I really played and a friend of mine just found it:
    Heroquest_GameSet.jpg
    Like I said, it's been a while. That being said, I'm definitely going to need things explained to me again.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    So yeah, the DM Challenge (Mines of Madness) was awesome, but I feel bad for all the people who were turned away. I can't think of a fair, equitable way to do the line thing - there are just way too many attendees interested in playing, and far too few Judges/DMs and Tables available. Willi and his staff do a bang-up job every single year but the people who get cut are always going to be sore.

We got to meet Chris Perkins and chat with him for a minute. We even drew the Wandering Oracle card and got to ask him 3 questions about the module (sadly one member of our group wasted the first question). The module itself was pretty solid, very reminiscent of old D&D adventures that were downright deadly (I died 30 seconds into the game). There were some slow parts, and it was setup in such a way that you could pretty well eliminate any possibility of success depending on which way you went at the first branch.

• Options
    Meester ScyllzMeester Scyllz Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    So yeah, the DM Challenge (Mines of Madness) was awesome, but I feel bad for all the people who were turned away. I can't think of a fair, equitable way to do the line thing - there are just way too many attendees interested in playing, and far too few Judges/DMs and Tables available. Willi and his staff do a bang-up job every single year but the people who get cut are always going to be sore.

The frustrating thing was that we tried to line up for it a couple of hours early, the way everything else at pax works, and were told they didn't want people to waste their entire day just sitting around and waiting. We were told to come back at a specific time and then the location to wait would be unveiled.

We came back 5 minutes early, but the line up area was revealed earlier by accident because of miscommunication between enforcers and the D&D people. We got there earlier than we were told to and missed getting in. I was literally the FIRST person in the "you're too late" crowd.

I couldn't try for the Saturday attempt because there were other panels I had more interest in seeing and am glad I didn't, from what I hear it was even more convoluted and broken due to staff not knowing the big picture.

Personally, if I care THAT much to wait all day to play then I should be able to do so.

Meester Scyllz on