As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Teleglitch] Top-Down Sci-fi Roguelike-like Shooter

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
ibefkT2sLOBnpM.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f&v=7tcxT_WxItE

TeleglitchBanner.jpg

Teleglitch is a top-down science fiction roguelike-like shooter. You run around a base on a hostile alien world, killing and being killed by enemies. Your goal is to make it through the facility by teleporting from level to level. Along the way you will scavenge weapons, ammo, and items to help you on your quest. It is brutally hard and extremely fun.

TeleglitchSmall1.jpg

All of the levels are randomly generated each time you play, and when you combine that with the sparse ammo, the enemies that will constantly surprise you, and the fast paced nature of the combat, you get a wonderful roguelike-like experience. There's even a story, too, which is fun to explore via the computer consoles you stumble across.

TeleglitchSmall2.jpg

Much of the fun comes from finding new item combinations to upgrade your weapons and your equipment, and from the adrenaline-filled fights with the masses of enemies you encounter. Because this is a roguelike-like, death is permanent, and every encounter is fraught with danger.

TeleglitchSmall3.jpg

Teleglitch is out for PC, Linux, and Mac, although the Mac version is in final testing rather than release. The demo comes with the first four levels, and because it's brutally difficult you'll probably get a lot of mileage out of it.

Tips:
  • Left clicking while not aiming a weapon swings your knife. Use it to conserve ammo.
  • Hold down shift and use the mouse wheel to reorder items.
  • 1-5 correspond to the first five items in your inventory, allowing you to switch to them quickly.
  • "C" opens up the combination menu. Use this to check out what new things you can craft from the materials you've discovered.
Links:

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Wow, this is amazingly good. I'm just about to finish level 1 right now, and I can already tell this is going to be an addiction for a while. The crafting is clean and straightforward, the combat feels like a dream, and the procedurally generated levels are perfect. Well, almost.. the
    horrible darkness appeared in my level a few rooms before the terminal explaining that it makes your brain explode. the only reason I didn't die (and haven't died yet!) to it was because I gave the link to a friend of mine as well, and he walked into it first. I kind of feel like that's a hilarious thing to have happen though , so I'll put it in spoilers. Heh.

The crafting really is cool, it was hard to pass up turning my shotgun into
    a sticky grenade scattershot gun. But I was out of pistol ammo, so the nailgun seemed like a better choice for my hardware piece.

Also, the art style is boss. Reminds me of Out Of This World a bit. Thanks for posting this, TC!

• Options
    Quick question: when you upgrade the
    mg3200 to a mg-hv, the uranium bullet one, does it still use the same ammo?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't know. That's why I haven't upgraded it yet :D

• Options
    It doesn't, it has its own. It's also pretty much necessary to have at the ready on level 5+ due to all the
    gigantic minigun-wielding armored mutants

• Options
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. Everywhere else I've seen a Teleglitch thread, there have been lots of people drawn to the game. Like a lot of rouglike-likes (Spelunky, FTL, Binding of Isaac) it really scratches a certain itch for a lot of players.

• Options
  • Options
    papercuts6papercuts6 Registered User regular
    Yeah this one seemed to just fly under everyone's radar which is too bad because it's a fantastic game.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is a pretty damn good game. It's like a topdown Quake with some System Shock elements. It definitely needs more love on these boards.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Tried this after reading the RPS article yesterday, surprisingly good. Seriously considering buying the full thing now.

• Options
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. Everywhere else I've seen a Teleglitch thread, there have been lots of people drawn to the game. Like a lot of rouglike-likes (Spelunky, FTL, Binding of Isaac) it really scratches a certain itch for a lot of players.

You just named three games that stole days... no, weeks from me. I don't think I can play this game in good conscious.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, this thread has me playing again. Personally I think this is so far ahead of Binding of Isaac it's ridiculous. Not that they are actually very similar games outside of shooting stuff and some of the basic rogulike mechanics. Just saying that for me, this game blows BoI out of the water in every way.

Drake on
  • Options
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    whoop! Roguelike sense tingling!! im going to have to play this when i get home!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    An enhanced version of this will be published by Paradox. Hopefully this game will someday get the recognition it deserves.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Oh hell yes. Hopefully getting Paradox as a publisher can take them out of their Greenlight purgatory and get them directly on the Steam store.

This game seriously shouldn't be stuck in there. It's fabulous.

Edit: And as a free expansion for people who already own it? Man that's fucking classy. Are you paying attention McMillen? This is how you do it.

Drake on
  • Options
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I just saw that! I was going to come here and announce it as well.

• Options
    As I've heard, all us early adopters get the new version and pre-order bonuses for free as well. I'm awfully thankful, as I found the game more than enough of a compensation for the money.

• Options
    Same here I have been super satisfied with what the game gave me at its price point. And man the new Die More Edition is aptly named. So good.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So how hard is this? I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but I don't like Rogue Legacy and normal roguelikes due to difficulty/lack of persistent progression.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I want it but I think I can wait on a price drop. The art looks wonderfully weird.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I remember when I first heard of Sword of the Stars: The Pit, I thought it was this game.

When I realized it wasn't, I got sad, because then there were TWO games I wanted really badly.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    ahahahh First Spawn: Shotgun.

Second spawn: a credit card with a in built taser, and a box of chocolates O_o

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    teleglitch is like a box of chocolates

you never know ARRGGHGHGHLLLBLAMYKNEESGGHGHGAALLSS

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So how hard is this? I'm thinking about taking the plunge, but I don't like Rogue Legacy and normal roguelikes due to difficulty/lack of persistent progression.
    It's really hard.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    man i broke down last night and bought mercenary kings, I didn't really have the budget to buy this but I did anyways, now I want this too. CURSES!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    To newcomers to this awesome and brutal game, if you find the random gear starts too tough you can turn them off under the Options menu. This gives you the original games basic gear set up at the beginning of each game. That's a 9mm pistol with 50 rounds of ammo, some canned food and some explosives. And maybe I'm forgetting something but I think that covers it.

The 9mm is a good starter weapon on the first level and will allow you to experiment a little more than some of these exotic random starter weapons.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    There's an option to turn off the randomness?
    In my roguelike?
    No sir, I just don't like it.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    So how far have people gotten? I finally beat it about a month ago, and it was so stressful I haven't gone back in. I usually go in from the beginning every time as I find the weapons and gear you will collect along the way are far better than the starting weapons at each checkpoint.

The worst was my previous run. I had gotten through the second to last level, and found the teleporter to the last level. I'd explored nearly everything, which I make a point to do on each level. The one part of the map I hadn't explored was a large, long and ominous hallway that I had immediately backed out of upon entering. If you've played lv9, you know the one. My curiosity was too strong, despite not really needing anything I could possibly find there and having run out of teleporters.
    I didn't make it out alive.

Endaro on
  • Options
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I always forget to switch back to my weapon after throwing explosives and end up spamming bombs everywhere and killing myself.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'm slowly becoming a master at shanking monsters, since I never find any ammo.
    Alas, I take tiny amounts of damage that add up, and end up croaking after a level or two.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    I think shanking to conserve ammunition is the way to go for the early levels, when the enemies are easy to kill.

I've been trying to employ a similar strategy but end up with the same results as you.

• Options
    Kiting enemies into the Void is a better option than shanking, if you have it.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Kiting enemies into the Void is a better option than shanking, if you have it.

Tried that, ran into the void by accident. Welp.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Bought this on steam after having my eye on it for awhile. Seems really slick so far. There is something about this game that reminds me of Bioforge, no idea why.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Bought, played, died horribly and very quickly.

Good lord these mutants circle-strafe like bastards.

Second game lasted a little longer because I started with a gun and not a crappy creditcard taser thing.

But still, no ammo anywhere and going hand to hand means I loose like 10 to 20 health per wave. And these are the easy enemies? Yikes.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    When you get better at using the knife things get more manageable. That's probably the first skill to master.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I've gotten pretty good at running backwards and stabbing. Still take a lot of hits... I know I mostly just have to be quicker on the clicker, they always seem to hit me first.

That said, it's very satisfying to set up in a good straight hallway and blast the bastards as they charge at you. MOAR BULLITS.

Fleeb on