As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Save my PS3!

DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
Hey all,

I'm hoping someone has some experience repairing PS3s. I have one of the older fat PS3s. I think it's the 40gb or 80gb, don't really remember off the top of my head, but it's one of the PS3s that is not backwards compatible. It's been refurbished twice about 4 years ago due to getting the yellow light failure. Since then, however, it's been fine until last week. We mostly use it to stream hockey games and movies, and not so much for games anymore. But last week while streaming a movie the fan (which is usually fairly loud) kicked into overdrive about 5 minutes after being turned on. It's significantly louder, and higher pitched than normal. I cracked open the box to see if maybe it was jammed with dust, but to no effect (I didn't fully take it apart, only took it apart as much as I felt comfortable). Now the super loud fan comes on almost immediately after being turned on.

Is it just toast? It's at least 6 years old now, so it's had a good run. I considered just replacing it, but to my surprise PS3s are still in the $250-300 range so that's a last resort right now.