As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goodness gracious, great balls of fire! [The RUSSIAN METEOR thread]

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    "Meteorite"? A likely story. I've read War of the Worlds; I know how this goes.

And I've played X-Com. Yeah, we're in trouble. Just lucky it's Russia.

Those guys are the gold standard for dealing with space aliens.

Invaders in general, really.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Pretty please don't multi-post this, iPad!

ozymandias2_zpse46a7e08.jpg

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Hey your IPad made you post that in multiple threads...

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    No, that was a conscious decision.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    What's really crazy is the fact that most Russian motorists just keep driving unaffected. Giant meteor explosion? Meh.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Silly North Koreans, America is OVER HERE!

Meh. If it had been North Korea we would already have seen a propaganda video of how The Glorious Leader is personally responsible for inventing North Koreas new Meteor Attractor Technology.

And how later that day he bowled a perfect game and played and 18-stroke round of golf.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Man that Russian Armageddon remake has a seriously low budget.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yeah it looks so damn fake.

broken image link
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Here is a photo from the impact site!
    SaiyanPod2008.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

Except it isn't?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    They're evidently alien scraps. From a roadside picnic, as it were.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Other areas might have gotten hit too. New clips coming in.

youtube.com/watch?v=R9iSAwJalYI&t=1m19s

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Добро пожаловать на Землю!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    What's really crazy is the fact that most Russian motorists just keep driving unaffected. Giant meteor explosion? Meh.

Seems less crazy after watching clips of drivers in Russia

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    don't drive in russia

don't live in russia

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Don't, Russia.

• Options
    I am in pretty much constant bewilderment that Russia is a real country that exists

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    You don't live in Russia so much as you don't die.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    russia: not even once

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Russia?

Never

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    this seems an appropriate thread to remind everyone that we're getting shaved by a huge asteroid today, in a couple of hours

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/14/16954270-asteroids-close-shave-ranks-among-earths-biggest-hits-and-misses?lite

• Options
    it is telling that in the millions of "driving in russia" videos the recorder always treats it as a relatively minor annoyance rather than freak out

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Just reinforces the part where Reality is Unrealistic.
    Or rather, for events we don't have personal experience with our expectations are rarely in sync with reality.
    Meteors, guns (pretty much everything about guns. How they sound, what their effects are, what it's like to be shot), explosions and so forth.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Russia got a valentines gift from space

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular

Or rather, for events we don't have personal experience with our expectations are rarely in sync with reality.
    Meteors, guns (pretty much everything about guns. How they sound, what their effects are, what it's like to be shot), explosions and so forth.

I think what surprises me the most is how long it takes for the sonic boom to reach land. In those car videos, I kind of expected to hear some sort of pop or boom within a few seconds. But watching the other videos it's clear that even if you were directly below the explosion, it took minutes for the shockwave to hit.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Why didn't Putin catch the meteorite and throw it back into space?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    And I was thinking about writing a senior thesis on the space program in Russia

meteorites?
    totally relevant!

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    And I was thinking about writing a senior thesis on the space program in Russia

meteorites?
    totally relevant!

In Soviet Russia, space gets launched into you

• Options
    WarponyWarpony Too small. The MoonRegistered User regular
    Looks like Sephiroth had a busy time.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Seeing the videos of this after watching this video was a little eerie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WsJUFqWm6r4

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Any chance that meteor was shot down? What im finding confusing is the thing exploded in atmosphere, it didnt hit the ground as such. Could say a patriot anti missile battery 1) have hit something like this at whatever speed it goes at and 2) destroyed it if say a nuke was used.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    hot rocks explode. entering the atmosphere makes things really hot.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    This is fucking terrifying to me. Ahhhh.

• Options
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I think what surprises me the most is how long it takes for the sonic boom to reach land. In those car videos, I kind of expected to hear some sort of pop or boom within a few seconds. But watching the other videos it's clear that even if you were directly below the explosion, it took minutes for the shockwave to hit.

Given the velocity of sound and the estimated altitude of the explosion there should have been a delay of about 90-150 seconds (1 minute 30 seconds and 2 minutes 30 seconds) if you were directly beneath it.
    Most weren't directly beneath, so it probably would have taken between 2 and 7-10 minutes for the actual blast effect to reach the site of the recording. Outside that radius I doubt the effect would have been powerful enough given that the force dissipates exponentially.
    Still, shattering glass over 60 km away is pretty hard core.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fugitive wrote: »

uh, no
    it may have appeared that way
    but you're looking at a chunk of rock hurtling through the atmosphere at very high speed
    your sense of scale doesn't really work in this situation
    it's further away than you think it is

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2013
    azith28 wrote: »
    Any chance that meteor was shot down? What im finding confusing is the thing exploded in atmosphere, it didnt hit the ground as such. Could say a patriot anti missile battery 1) have hit something like this at whatever speed it goes at and 2) destroyed it if say a nuke was used.

tumblr_m8ab4ch1bx1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

at the speed such a meteor is traveling, contact with our atmosphere is catastrophic
    there was no missile, it's just physics at work

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    azith28 wrote: »

Well for one, the Russians wouldn't use PATRIOT missiles since it's a US system (as a defense guy, I have to capitalize it since it's technically an acronym :P). To answer your question as vaguely as possible, it would be extremely unlikely that the Russian surface-to-air missiles have the capability to track an object moving at the speeds (30,000+ MPH) we're talking about here. They probably picked it up on radar just in time to say "what the fuck?" before it exploded.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Well, at least the systems they admit about publicly can't do that...

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Well, at least the systems they admit about publicly can't do that...

Well, here's the public specs so far on their next-gen system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-500_missile It falls well short of what would be needed to intercept a meteorite at low altitude.

If they have anything better than that, it probably wouldn't be sitting out near a random city in the Urals.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    If you want to intercept a meteor you have to do so in space (still fairly unrealistic) or with a beam-based weapon.
    Meteors have an entry velocity of between 10 and 70 km/s. The fastest object we've ever launched travelled at 16 km/s.