As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Overrated People in the Industry

DhekkeDhekke Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
There's this article on GameDaily listing the Top 5 Most Overrated Industry People...
Of course a list like this is always controversial, but the author really pushed it (ad revenue FTW)... I mean, I can understand (although not agreeing) Reggie, Jaffe and the complain about Castlevania that led to Koji Igarashi's nomination...
But calling Kojima and Miyamoto overrated? Like they don't deserve the praising they get?
They changed the way games are made, introducing new ways of seeing and playing them... and suddenly, one unhappy not-getting-laid-enough guy thinks they're... meh

So, traffic enhancing post, the guy is clearly batshit insane or made some actual good points?

My list, by the way:
Cliffy B
Mark Rein
John Romero
Gabe Newell
American McGee

EDIT:
I have severe brain damage and didn't post the link

nouserbar.gif
Dhekke on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    American McGee

and the DOA bloke, he is cool, but apart from the NG games, he mostly makes trash.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tomonobu Itagaki (DOA) and pretty much the whole Team Ninja

Dhekke on
    nouserbar.gif
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mrdoa.jpg

seconded.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would say Mark Echo if he had the capacity to be overrated.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This list includes Kojima.

Reggie.

Miyamoto.

What is the author, some sort of fucking retard or something?

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Miyamoto.
    While I'm not knocking him, to play devil's advocate, I see a lot of people who seem to think the guy is behind pretty much every single Nintendo franchise ever produced and is the second coming of Christ.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would say Ed Boon.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Miyamoto.
    While I'm not knocking him, to play devil's advocate, I see a lot of people who seem to think the guy is behind pretty much every single Nintendo franchise ever produced and is the second coming of Christ.

Christ was the second coming of Miyamoto.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    man American McGee's Alice was pretty awesome.

Hasn't he only made like two other games besides that though? or one? How can he be overrated if he's made two or three games total?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    American McGee

and the DOA bloke, he is cool, but apart from the NG games, he mostly makes trash.

And he.. uh... did some *hands on* research with at least one of the company secretaries.

For me, it's Douglass Perry. Earth Worm Jim was great, but since then... meh.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Derick Smart
    Derick Smart
    Derick Smart
    Is he that horrible?

Couscous on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to say David Jaffe. I absolutely love the Twisted Metal series, and he'll forever be a-ok in my book because of it, but lately, he's coming off as very hypocritcal about the industry, especially when it comes to discussing narrative presentation in games. Calling puzzles and longwinded cutscenes a 'ridiculous way' to tell stories, then filling God of War with them doesn't make much sense.

C'mon Jaffe, you're smarter than that.

Now, as for someone who doesn't get enough credit, that'd be Warren Spector. God how I love that man.

Kami on
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I pretty much agree with the article. Not necessarily the fact that these people are on it; more the points he makes about them.

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Will Wright for me.

People act as though he hand codes these games himself in the office on his own.

The whole rest of the Maxis staff are ignored completely.

You look at a game like, say, Halo. And it was Bungie who made it. Not one guy. Or GTA. It was Rockstar.

How come fucking Sims and Spore is all the work of 'Will Wright'. I mean sure, he has some good ideas and can design good games. But the legwork and a lot of the design and implementation is done by other people, and he gets ALL the credit.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    I'm going to say David Jaffe. I absolutely love the Twisted Metal series, and he'll forever be a-ok in my book because of it, but lately, he's coming off as very hypocritcal about the industry, especially when it comes to discussing narrative presentation in games. Calling puzzles and longwinded cutscenes a 'ridiculous way' to tell stories, then filling God of War with them doesn't make much sense.

Now, as for someone who doesn't get enough credit, that'd be Warren Spector. God how I love that man.

I dunno man, the cutscenes in God of War aren't very long. And there aren't very many of them either. And the puzzles aren't bad. There are a good amount of them, possibly too many, but they're not very long.

Speaking of Warren Spector, where'd you get your copy of Deus Ex? I don't really want to resort to eBay.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Miyamoto.

Christ was the first coming of Miyamoto.

Fix'd

About American McGee, he's overrated by himself. Made 1 good game and the founded his own company, and has this awful habit of putting his name before his creations, Will Wright has the right to do this, not him.

Dhekke on
    nouserbar.gif
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno if CliffyB is overated, but he is a media whore.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I pretty much agree with the article. Not necessarily the fact that these people are on it; more the points he makes about them.

Same. Alot of what was said in the article did make sense.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dhekke wrote: »
    Miyamoto.

Fix'd

About American McGee, he's overrated by himself. Made 1 good game and the founded his own company, and has this awful habit of putting his name before his creations, Will Wright has the right to do this, not him.

Alice was damn good though.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

I dunno man, the cutscenes in God of War aren't very long. And there aren't very many of them either. And the puzzles aren't bad. There are a good amount of them, possibly too many, but they're not very long.

Speaking of Warren Spector, where'd you get your copy of Deus Ex? I don't really want to resort to eBay.

I actually found a Game of the Year edition of Deus Ex at a local Best Buy for $7.99, of all places.

The reason I talk about God of War being 'filled' with them, is it's essentially the entire narrative. Anything that progresses the plot forward was either a cutscene, or as part of a puzzle, two things in which Jaffe 'hates'. He's huge on the 'interactivity of games driving the narrative', but as of yet, his key franchise hasn't pulled through in that regard. Basically, it comes down to his 'this way is better' attitude, when in fact, it depends on the situation.

Kami on
  • Options
    Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Miyamoto.

Fix'd

Actually, Sid Meier is the one who has the right to do this. Will Wright is only good to put either his first or his last name before the title, the other one should be part of the subtitle.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »

I actually found a Game of the Year edition of Deus Ex at a local Best Buy for $7.99, of all places.

The reason I talk about God of War being 'filled' with them, is it's essentially the entire narrative. Anything that progresses the plot forward was either a cutscene, or as part of a puzzle, two things in which Jaffe 'hates'. He's huge on the 'interactivity of games driving the narrative', but as of yet, his key franchise hasn't pulled through in that regard. Basically, it comes down to his 'this way is better' attitude, when in fact, it depends on the situation.

Ah, okay. That I can agree with. There is definitely no interaction in the storytelling. And it's appropriate that you mentioned Warren Spector, because that's exactly what he's all about. The player being the prime mover in the story.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Will Wright for me.

People act as though he hand codes these games himself in the office on his own.

The whole rest of the Maxis staff are ignored completely.

You look at a game like, say, Halo. And it was Bungie who made it. Not one guy. Or GTA. It was Rockstar.

How come fucking Sims and Spore is all the work of 'Will Wright'. I mean sure, he has some good ideas and can design good games. But the legwork and a lot of the design and implementation is done by other people, and he gets ALL the credit.

Would you complain if you got LOTS and LOTS of money for being involved?

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I loved that episode of the 1up show where they interview Jaffe and Luke Smith opens with basically 'the ps3 sucks doesnt it?' and jaffe ends up getting into a hugely heated argument and shouting match with them which was utterly fantastic.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    CliffyB did freaking nothing to be an hip acronym.
    Gears IS awesome, but so is Guitar Hero but you don't know the mastermind who's behind it...

I mean, cliffyB wrote a letter explaining the "innovations" introduced in GoW gameplay... cover? Really? Press Q or E in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and see what happens...
    And Splinter Cell...
    and WinBack, many many maaaany years before... THAT'S some covered shooting action

Dhekke on
    nouserbar.gif
  • Options
    soapofdurdensoapofdurden Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gears IS awesome, but so is Guitar Hero but you don't know the mastermind who's behind it...

I mean, cliffyB wrote a letter explaining the "innovations" introduced in GoW gameplay... cover? Really? Press Q or E in Return to Castle Wolfenstein and see what happens...
    And Splinter Cell...
    and WinBack, many many maaaany years before... THAT'S some covered shooting action

WINBACK! YES!

soapofdurden on
    Xbox Live: soapofdurden, Twitter!
  • Options
    edited March 2007

And Splinter Cell...

yeah but ends justifies the means.

and gears is like one of the best games of the last 10 years. period.

doesnt matter what cliffyb did to get the game like that, he did it, and its awesome. gotta give him some credit for that.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

And Splinter Cell...

WINBACK! YES!
    See?
    Gotta love Winback.
    now, Winback + Quake = Gears of Wars
    I wanna be called GabeK from now on

Dhekke on
    nouserbar.gif
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And Splinter Cell...

doesnt matter what cliffyb did to get the game like that, he did it, and its awesome. gotta give him some credit for that.

I agree, I don't think he's overrated, he deserves all the respect he gets.

even though gears took the ideas from other games, it implemented them fantastic and it's a great game.

Lothars on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think they're pretty much going to mention any developers who has a name you can recognize. There are only so many of them to start off with anyway.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

And Splinter Cell...

even though gears took the ideas from other games, it implemented them fantastic and it's a great game.

dont get me wrong, i despise the man. hes an utterly annoying media whore of a tool with an attractive girlfriend and perfect teeth.

but goddam can the man make computer games.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dennis Dyack and Silicon Knights seem to have sunshine blown up their arses for making 1 above average game every 6 years. Great storyteller, but his games play horribly.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    American McGee

And he.. uh... did some *hands on* research with at least one of the company secretaries.

For me, it's Douglass Perry. Earth Worm Jim was great, but since then... meh.

I think you mean David Perry. Douglass Perry's the IGN dude. lol

astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

And Splinter Cell...

dont get me wrong, i despise the man. hes an utterly annoying media whore of a tool with an attractive girlfriend and perfect teeth.

Tim Sweeny I respect more out of the Epic developers. Dear god if you listen to that man speak you get a feel for just how intelligent computer programmers really are.

Brolo on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tomonobu Itagaki (DOA) and pretty much the whole Team Ninja

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rolo wrote: »

And Splinter Cell...

Tim Sweeny I respect more out of the Epic developers. Dear god if you listen to that man speak you get a feel for just how intelligent computer programmers really are.

This is true.

Same for that engineer at Bungie in one of their many documentaries floating around.

All the level designers and artists were like 'yeah i make this and this and that' and this engineer guy was like 'yeah, well i make this shit run man, all of it.'

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CliffyB should not be considered ovverrated when you consider his contributions to the Unreal franchise.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm always interested to see arguments about things that are 'overrated', because no two people use the same definition of the word. And, no two people agree on how highly something was rated in the first place.

I personally think Kojima is kind of overrated, but that's mainly just because the only series I know him from is MGS, which I think is kind of overrated as well.

Miyamoto is probably overrated, because it would be impossible for any human to actually accomplish all of the feats attributed to him by his fans.

EDIT:: I'd probably include Gabe Newell and CliffyB as well, mainly because I only know them from one game series each - sure, they're good games, but...come on, they'll need to prove themselves a little more before I think of them as game designer elite.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Miyamoto is probably overrated, because it would be impossible for any human to actually accomplish all of the feats attributed to him by his fans.

Hey!

That's what they said about JESUS!

Lemming on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm always interested to see arguments about things that are 'overrated', because no two people use the same definition of the word. And, no two people agree on how highly something was rated in the first place.

I personally think Kojima is kind of overrated, but that's mainly just because the only series I know him from is MGS, which I think is kind of overrated as well.

EDIT:: I'd probably include Gabe Newell and CliffyB as well, mainly because I only know them from one game series each - sure, they're good games, but...come on, they'll need to prove themselves a little more before I think of them as game designer elite.

I think you're right. there needs to be distinction between those who just have overly inflated egos, and those who are just victims of overzealous fan-worship

VoodooV on
This discussion has been closed.