As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I know, I know...Co-op games to play with GF?

Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Yes, I searched, and yes I went back 5 pages.

Anyway, my girlfriend and I have been playing the same old co-op games lately and we're looking for something new. We currently play Soul Calibur 2, Mario Kart: DD, Smash Brothers, and she is trying to get into Halo 2, but the controls are a bit much for her.

Any suggestions? Or you could just point me to the previous thread(s). I have a PS2, XBOX, and GC.

Also, I have been thinking about getting a football game, but I know nothing about any of them. I know a new one comes out every year, but can I save some dough and get 2005, or 06 or something like that?

Omnicron9999 on

• Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is an easy two-part answer to this question.

1: What does she like to play?, and
    2: Play that with her.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -insert cooperative sex joke here-

Incidentally, those aren't really cooperative games! If you're sticking to that vein give Worms 3D a shot. It's not fantastic by my gf picked up the controls ok.

Burnout also oddly seems to go down well with women.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    -insert cooperative sex joke here-

Incidentally, those aren't really cooperative games! If you're sticking to that vein give Worms 3D a shot. It's not fantastic by my gf picked up the controls ok.

Burnout also oddly seems to go down well with women.

I second Burnout series being a game most girls end up getting into to some degree.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cookie and Cream/Kuri Kuri Mix (depending on continent)

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You need Micro Machines 2. Yes, you really do need it. It's old now, but the hours of fun that game provided is almost unrivaled even today. Just don't go for the later games, as they are not as fun as the older ones.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Is taking a step back to the SNES an option? My wife and I practically spent our first 3 months dating playing Co-op SNES games.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Gundam versus Zeta Gundam. Everyone loves co-op in that.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lego Star Wars II. My wife doesn't like many games, but she loves this one.

stigweard on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Lego Star Wars II. My wife doesn't like many games, but she loves this one.

The only game my wife will play with me that doesn't involve monkeys in balls. Or Wii Sports.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Co-op's hard to find, unfortunately. SW LEGO 1 & 2 are quite fun, though.

I've had a good time just hanging out on the couch while my wife played through Beyond Good & Evil, Pikmin, Chibi Robo, etc, too. It's semi-co-op, in that I'll suggest "hey, try X!", or she'll ask me to do a boss battle for her or something. Same also holds for adventure games like Siberia. Just find what she likes, and then find a way for you to be involved.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    SamuelSamuel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just picked up Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks seeing as it's on sale for 8 quid, and I'm currently playing through the co-op on that with my girlfriend.

It's dumb, cheesey, and trashy... and a fucking blast. If your girlfriend doesn't love sawing people in half with a hat, there's something wrong with her.

Also:

Alien Hominid
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3
    Either of the console Baldur's Gate games
    TimeSplitters 2 & 3
    Serious Sam: The Next Encounter
    Tales of Symphonia
    Ikaruga
    Mario Kart: DD
    Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2 (the offline mode, though)

I've played through all of those with my other half, they've all been pretty great.

Samuel on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My girlfriend and I had fun playing through all of the Metal Slugs in the Wii collection, even if the controls kind of sucked on the Wii-mote. Why could I not use the classic controller again?

I also second the Lego Star Wars games, good co-op fun.

Also, what is the deal with girls and the Burnout games? My girlfriend loved it when she was playing it, originally thinking it was just some dumb racing sim but really enjoying it when she got into it. I've heard from lots of other people on this forum (as is mentioned above) whose significant others really enjoyed the Burnout games much more than usual.

Also, if you feel like coughing up the extra dough, MMOs make good co-op games. We have been playing CoV on a free trial, having a good time. Afterwards, she wants to try going going back to WoW now that BC is out (we used to just share an account, but now we have two comps to play on). This paragraph has too many acronyms.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My sister likes playing Super Mario Strikers co-op. I suggest that.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My fiancee and I had a great time playing through Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Friend of mine is getting married. His girlfriend's game experience begins with Mario Kart, and ends with Mario Kart. Until now.

I don't know why. Maybe it's the snazzy soundtrack, or the throwback to the eighties graphical pinkness, but she has a fondness for Vice City.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    Friend of mine is getting married. His girlfriend's game experience begins with Mario Kart, and ends with Mario Kart. Until now.

I don't know why. Maybe it's the snazzy soundtrack, or the throwback to the eighties graphical pinkness, but she has a fondness for Vice City.

It's because the '80s were sweet and anyone who says different just isn't in on the joke.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My fiance is a bit of a gamer, we have a small selection that we like to play.

Bomberman
    Rampage
    Gauntlet
    Karoeke Revolution (she loves it, I'm not too fond of it, but she likes when I play it with her)
    Dance Dance Revolution
    Various puzzle games, Super Puzzle Fighter comes to mind.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    FreakNRageFreakNRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dynasty Warriors for PS2, stay away from the special ones just get the latest edition of the core one which I think is Dynasty Warriors 6. It was the only video game I could get my ex-fiance to play and she would even play it by herself if she had time off while I was at work. Honestly I think the only time we got along while living together was while we were playing Dynasty Warriors. HA ha she actually wanted to play it more then I did, I found it a little repetitive but it was easy enough for her to pick up and learn.

For Football get Madden. I personally hate football, never played a football game and got hooked on it right from the start for a couple weeks. Only bad thing though is that it requires you to both have played for awhile and be decent to enjoy a two player. Personally I would suggest going with either hockey(NHL) or soccer(FIFA), theyre a little bit easier to pick up for beginners and have some fun. Yeah you can buy older versions for less money, although there usually are some game improvements each year sometimes minor sometimes pretty major. Whether the improvements are worth the extra cost are not is always a personal judgement.

If you really want to play co-op you need to get a computer for each of you. Get into MMO's, tons of replay value and alot more fun if you are playing with someone else regularly. Most of the real girls(not guys just playing a woman) that I run into in MMO's got started through a boyfriend/husband and even kept on playing after getting rid of the boyfriend/husband, because after figuring out how to play and not worrying about sucking they liked the gameplay and community aspects of the games. I was going to get the ex into Guild Wars, its easy enough to pick up the basics of play and has no monthly fee but we broke up before we got an internet connection after moving.

FreakNRage on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    thats really odd, the only game my ladifren would consider touching was burnout as well. she sucked at it but it was still nice to have her try.

what evil black magic are they weaving this game? give me more!!

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My wife and I played through X-Men Legends and had a good time. It was especially handy that since it was just the 2 of us there were 2 reserve characters there for us all the time is we died.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bananasaurusbananasaurus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I usually play DS games with my boyfriend .. usually Animal Crossing, Mariokart DS, Tetris, etc.
    And Wii Sports .. I totally kick his arse in boxing :)

bananasaurus on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I usually play DS games with my boyfriend .. usually Animal Crossing, Mariokart DS, Tetris, etc.
    And Wii Sports .. I totally kick his arse in boxing :)

My girlfriend and I have a regular Mario Kart WiFi habit. So if you have the means, I'd definitely reccomend.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Karaoke Revolution is a good suggestion. Girls love it when they see their men attempting to sing "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to second Monkeyball and Burnout Revenge, especially. I have never seen such vile expletives come from my g/f's mouth as when she savagely takes down the computer. Yet she drives like an old granny in real life.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I bet DDR works better than any other game ever made with every female ever born.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    SharpieSharpie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sonos wrote: »
    I bet DDR works better than any other game ever made with every female ever born.

I suck at DDR and hate playing it, so maybe you're wrong. :P

My boyfriend and I play SSBM and Mario Kart all the time. Also, he sits with me while I play FF7 and helps me understand the damned ATB.

Also, you can play games together without playing games together. Sometimes he'll be on his computer playing WoW and I'll be playing FF3 on my DS or something. That's a nice way to relax, because when we play games like SSBM, it's usually with his buddies and it gets pretty rowdy.

Sharpie on
    pasig.jpgPW2.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »

My boyfriend and I play SSBM and Mario Kart all the time. Also, he sits with me while I play FF7 and helps me understand the damned ATB.

Also, you can play games together without playing games together. Sometimes he'll be on his computer playing WoW and I'll be playing FF3 on my DS or something. That's a nice way to relax, because when we play games like SSBM, it's usually with his buddies and it gets pretty rowdy.

This is how I've been playing Twilight Princess. I play Wii while my wife plays Puzzle Pirates on our laptop. Works out wonderfully.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Spartan SamuelSpartan Samuel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuzion Frenzy 1 & 2. The games are entirely devoted to mini-games. I mean that's all there is. No plot, character progression, upgrades, unlockables... all it is is a list of mini-games you can play on them. And trust me you, there's a lot.

Spartan Samuel on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Animal Crossing. It's not co-op in the traditional sense in that you can't play together at the same time, but your characters are in the same town and you can work together toward goals. Certainly not an intense experience, so if you guys are more into action I guess it could get boring fast, but it can be a lot of fun long-term (as videogames go, at least).

Plus, you get all kinds of fun looks from friends when you talk about the animals in town together. "Oh I know, that Nook is such a bastard! Cesar is totally cool, though."

Bitstream on
  • Options
    LovingFFXILovingFFXI Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Umm.. Guitar Hero 1 and 2? Not really co-op but fun with the woman.

LovingFFXI on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Cookie and Cream/Kuri Kuri Mix (depending on continent)
    Good choice, but that game is harder than it looks. Make sure she has some gaming experience.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    City of Heroes? It's an mmo but has a shitload of costume customisation options and your character gets to fly. My gf loved that.

edit: Er, you didn't mention a pc but, I mean, I don't know, you're posting on one I assume so I'll just throw that out there.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Karaoke Revolution is a good suggestion. Girls love it when they see their men attempting to sing "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston.

When I sing Snake Eater, I have to do it in my falsetto.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sharpie wrote: »

yes but you tried DDR! BURNED i win

:mrgreen:

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My GF hated Burnout. Haven't been able to get her to play any other game since. :(
    It's a good thing she gives good head. XD

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow...Burnout huh?

Too much praise not to check it out.

I don't really think she would do an MMO, we both have our own computers, but she tends to think that games like that are "nerdy". She would like them if I could get her to try, but I don't think she even would.

Also we are planning on picking up guitar hero soon, at her insistance actually.

t And yes I realize that the games I mentioned weren't exactly co-op, but we play them like they are. So I should have mentioned that games that can be played in a semi co-op fashion are fair game (switching off after each level, etc.)

Omnicron9999 on