As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Divinity: Dragon Commander] Be a Dragon; Rule the World. [OUT NOW]

WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
Divinity: Dragon Commander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lbrq3BLQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnLAimI9PQ

Dragon Commander is an upcoming RPG/RTS/Risk/Action hybrid game produced and published independently by the Belgian Larian Studios, creators of the Divinity series.

You play as a Dragon Knight (a kind of very powerful weredragon) facing off against another Dragon Knight and trying to take over the world while you're at it. Unfortunately, the world isn't filled with prospective subjects eager to bow down before you. Humans, elves, dwarves, undead, imps and lizard people have all carved out their own territories and you'll have to keep them happy if you want their support. And, considering they all have different agendas, that may not be as easy as it sounds. Ambassadors of the different races will eventually join you on your flying battleship HQ and offer helpful policy suggestions designed to aid your cause - and their own.

EysZgeo.jpg?1

Once you've dealt with the politics, your advisers and generals and built up your forces it's time to attack. Here, the game switches into RTS mode. Originally, all of Dragon Commander's battles were planned to take place just in the air, but the people at Larian changed their minds and now battles take place on land, at sea and in the air. And hey, since you can shapeshift into a Dragon, you can join in on the fun. Just take care not get shot down.

NR3DP1g.jpg

Oh, and you get a jetpack. Because dragons just aren't fast enough without one.

h3Fttxu.jpg

Dragon Commander should be released somewhere around May or June on PC and for the Mac later on.

WotanAnubis on

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Dragon with a jetpack? Sold.

• Options
    So many people focus on the jetpack. Can't imagine why. I mean, it's neat and all, but dude, politics.

I may have some skewed priorities I guess.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I'm really loving that this has basically transformed into Total War: We have a Dragon.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I am more interested in their other rpg, to be honest.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Holy shit, this looks really fucking cool.

I never played any of the previous Divinity games but they all looked cool, and this does as well. I might actually pick up a copy of this game if I can convince my friends to get it too.

edit: and fuck yer politics, that's a goddamn dragon with a jetpack you can control :bz :bz

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I haven't paid much attention to Original Sin, to be honest. I'm taking much more of a 'wait and see' approach on that one.

• Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

I haven't paid much attention to Original Sin, to be honest. I'm taking much more of a 'wait and see' approach on that one.

Both games look good, but something about Original Sin's screenshots really sits well with me.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Wait, so this is basically Total War set in the Divinity universe? That sounds kind of fun. I'll have to keep my eye on this.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Wait, so this is basically Total War set in the Divinity universe? That sounds kind of fun. I'll have to keep my eye on this.

Yeah, Total War where in the RTS parts you can directly control a huge dragon with a fucking jetpack.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Reactions to the trailer seem to be quite enthusiastic. Personally I'm very glad to see there's still room for titles that are a bit off the beaten path. FYI. If you have strong opinions on the game: Larian is always on the lookout for community feedback, so don't hold back :)

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Larian keeps showing off the game to people, so I'm gonna keep posting articles.

This one's a bit amateurish in my opinion, but it's also got a few new titbits of information in there.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    These are the guys that made Divine Divinity and Divinity 2, where you were a Dragon Knight...right?
    Cause if it's the same guys, I'm so sold!

Oh...read the OP, YEP, bought'd! I loved Divine Divninity and Divinity 2 so much it would be a crime to not get this.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    These are the guys that made Divine Divinity and Divinity 2, where you were a Dragon Knight...right?
    Cause if it's the same guys, I'm so sold!

Fun fact: Dragon Commander was basically born because the people at Larian thought they didn't do quite enough with the whole 'turning into a dragon' portion of Divinity 2 (which, let's be fair, they didn't). So they started out building a 'game' designed around making the dragon combat portion meaningful and fun and eventually ended up with this: an experimental hybrid where the dragon combat is almost optional.

• Options
    MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    That is pretty darn awesome! I spent quite a long time playing that, and then Divine Divinity back in the day. The move to a strategy game is a little odd, in my opinion, but I'm going to check it out, because I think they are going to do a very good job.

Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • Options
    Gamespot has put up a vid about the multiplayer. It looks frantic but manageable to me, but then again I'm not really an RTS player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gbHsdC4U_2k

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Are those coastal gears on the map UI, Here Be Dragons or canon?

Gameplay does look like I'd need a system-upgrade for reasonable stability.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Are those coastal gears on the map UI, Here Be Dragons or canon?

I don't know. But I'm guessing they're on there just look neat on the map. Could be wrong, though.

• Options
  • Options
    Livestream bugs should be a thing of the past next time ;) Speaking of.. there will be another livestream featuring composer Kirill Pokrovsky on april 18th!

Btw, I haven't seen much talk of the D:OS kickstarter on these boards? Has it gone under the radar?

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Joril wrote: »
    Btw, I haven't seen much talk of the D:OS kickstarter on these boards? Has it gone under the radar?

Seems so. I believe it got discussed a bit in the Divinity 2 thread (there not being an Original Sin thread yet), but that's about all. Besides, we're not allowed to link to Kickstarter, so...

And speaking of links: According to GOG.com, Dragon Commander will be released on July 2.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Less than two hours left and only around 50'000 away from the last stretch goal.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    And its done at (Kickstarter) $944,282

• Options
    Someone should create an Original Sin thread.

Not me, though. I haven't paid much attention to it.

• Options
    A let's play video of Divinity Dragon Commander just went up on youtube. Swen takes you through one whole turn of the game (which is still pretty much in beta) and shows combat, character interaction, etc. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAF-AAudfp8

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    A quasi-interactive politics trailer. There should be more of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBN3jLzT1Y

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like that imp.

• Options
    Guys, if you want to see Dragon Commander in action without getting into the beta, tune in now on twitch, two of our testers are duking it out on a pretty big worldmap!

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    The Divinity Dragon Commander Launch Trailer just went live. It does quite a good job at explaining the game. enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnLAimI9PQ

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    It strikes me as kind of funny how much of a non-factor humans are in this game. Even though humans plainly do exist (because you do have a few human generals in your employ), there are no human lands, no human councilors and no human approval ratings. Politically and economically, humans just aren't relevant in this world, it seems. Kind of refreshing.

Though I suppose I'm to view the PC, a draconic shapeshifter, as the human representative or something.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This game has basically everything I want in a strategy game, including the ability to directly take part in the battle - even better that you can do it as a dragon. Politics, overworld strategy, real time strategy, building, upgrades, RPG elements. I hope the word gets out on this and it does very well. Very excited for it, just wish it was a midnight unlock.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Shortly after I posted that, the store page updated with a preload and a midnight PST release time, so... hurray.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    This game has basically everything I want in a strategy game, including the ability to directly take part in the battle - even better that you can do it as a dragon. Politics, overworld strategy, real time strategy, building, upgrades, RPG elements. I hope the word gets out on this and it does very well. Very excited for it, just wish it was a midnight unlock.

It's not as complex a game as that, I'm afraid. The political proposals, interacting with your generals, your queen and your ambassadors, and how the decisions you make with them impact their personal stories are fantastic. They're aided by characters that are extremely expressive and wonderfully well animated. But the strategy map and combat phases are simplistic, the latter becoming tedious as the game wears on. Those two phases are more akin to a board game than Total War.

You don't build nor manage cities. There's no diplomacy. You simply move your pieces across the board, automatically capturing territories devoid of enemy units, buying a single building per territory to gain flat bonuses or cards, until you clash in real-time battles that are about mob mentality over intelligence (though your dragon can turn the tide) and eventually capture every enemy's capitol territory to win the game. There's just not a lot more to do in those phases.

But the content aboard your flagship, the Raven, where you interact with your compatriots really does elevate the game. I can't stop playing because I want to see how my decisions - be it political or personal dilemmas - affect them.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    From what I played, the RTS portion doesnt have the depth of something like Total War, but it's more similar to something like Supreme Commander. I'm fine with that, I like all sorts of RTS games. I never really said anything about it being like Total War, though, that was other people. In fact, everything I said is stuff that is actually in the game. People much earlier in the thread were drawing comparisons to things like Total War and what have you.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Divinity: Dragon Commander just unlocked on Steam for me, so I guess that means it's now officially out.

Right now I'm still busy downloading, but after that's done I think I'll be away for a while.

• Options
    in game screenshot of your command ship.

?.jpg

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Man, Edmund is an arrogant, racist jackass. And he's just so delightful.

Also I like how 'Story Mode' progresses in Chapters. Allows the game to ease you in with a single, simple map before throwing you into a four-way free-for-all.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Any word on a demo? The last divinity game was utterly horrible so I'd kind of like to try before I buy.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Any word on a demo? The last divinity game was utterly horrible so I'd kind of like to try before I buy.

Divinity 2? That games was awesome!

...the xpac was utter ass though.

Capture.jpg~original