As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Premium Wireless Router Quandry

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
I've been using the families old Acer desktop as a sort of print and file server in recent times, but it's still had its uses for my wife until recently. I picked her up a Samsung notebook and now the desktop sits unused and unloved, and is just a few days (and bits of advice) away from being put on Craigslist in favor of this:

ASUS-RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-300x300.jpg

ASUS Dark Knight N66U wireless router. It's got some pretty incredible granularity when it comes to QoS, and it's got file and print sharing capabilities with USB 3.0 so we'll be able to hook up our printer to it, as well as a 1TB My Passport we're looking at for backup of music, pictures, and other files. I have some trepidation in purchasing this (as well as my backup choice, the N65U) because there are numerous reviews on these things and it seems a constant buggaboo on the ASUS products is their lack of stability.

I am unfamiliar because I've never owned one. All I've ever had is your basic Linksys WRT router (And now a combo router/modem from 2WIRE and AT&T that I will happily dispose of once we move in a week), and all I've ever worked on outside of that are thousand dollar Cisco switches at work.

Boiled down to the smallest element... I'm trying to set up the router as the file and print server, sell the desktop to make space, and have something that can handle 2 smartphones, 2 laptops, a Wii, and a BluRay player that uses NetFlix, as well as give me QoS to each of these so they can get the best internet experience possible.

I will be getting 25 meg cable internet in a week as well, if that's a consideration.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    So the question is should you buy it despite the reports of possibly poor reliability? It seems to do everything else you want and these things always have at least a year warranty. I don't see why not.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    So the question is should you buy it despite the reports of possibly poor reliability? It seems to do everything else you want and these things always have at least a year warranty. I don't see why not.

Fair enough. I'm just curious if there's an alternative I may have missed. PA seems to have its way in finding tech's sweet little secrets and hidden gems that the big sites have missed.

Considering the stupid 2WIRE I have returns DSL NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE errors 4-5 times a day, I guess any reliability past that would be an improvement over my current situation, but still...

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Asus N66, and the only complaints I've heard on them is that default firmware isn't the best. But it does support dd-wrt if you want to change that.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    BenditBendit Cømþü†€r Šýš†emš Anålýš† Ðeñv€r¸ ColørådøRegistered User regular
    I love my "ASUS RT-N16". Gigabit ports for LAN. Sweet.

My Live-Tracked Electronica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSn2rozrIo