As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turkey in a few weeks

kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated foraRegistered User regular
I am popping over to Istanbul for about 4 days because its the only way I can see some
longstanding friends living in the UK. I've been before, but in 2004. I can crack open a lonely planet, but any current residents have suggestions?

fwKS7.png?1

• Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    I'm not a current resident but I was there for 4 days over the summer and LOVED IT. I'm assuming you already did all the touristy sites like Hagia Sofia and the Topkapi palace, but did you get a chance to check out the more modern part of Turkey? There's a really fantastic nightlife in that area. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant but I ate the best food of my whole life at this place near the base of the Galata tower, which specialized in food from the southern region of Turkey

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    I lived in Ankara for a year back in 2009, so I've had the chance to explore Istanbul a bit.

One thing you could do is check out Buyukada (Princes' Island). It's a pretty little island a ferry ride away from Istanbul where cars are banned and you can rent a bike (or carriage) to explore. It makes for a nice day trip and place to picnic, especially during the late spring and summer.

Definitely get some kofte at the world famous Sultanahmet Koftecisi restaurant. Make sure you're going to the right one, though, as there's at least one rip-off.

Taksim Square is a pretty happening place for the nightlife and restaurant scene. The city also has some pretty great museums if you're in to that.

You going to stay in and around the city the whole time, or are you guys open for day trips to other nearby locations?

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055