As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Friend CODES for Wii -- Confirmed

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Imran found this link and posted it on Platforumers.
Individual Rosters Confirmed
Posted on: 22/03/07 Comments: 4 By: Nima
I emailed Nintendo asking them to confirm if there will be individual friend rosters for each game, as implied by the Falafelkid and GameSpy interview. Nintendo confirmed this through this email they sent me:

Hello,

I can confirm that the Friend Code system in the Wi-Fi Connection (WFC) service
for Wii will be the same as it was for the Nintendo DS, meaning game-specific
Friend Codes and a separate Friend Roster are used in each game where players
can play with identified friends. As with Nintendo DS, the system was created
to ensure the gaming environment is kept fun for everyone.

We have heard from various others like you letting us know how they felt
regarding Nintendo's implementation of Friend Codes in the Wi-Fi Connection
service for Wii. I want you to know that we appreciate your passion and
concern. Let me assure you that your concerns have been heard and will be
forwarded along. As always, keep an eye on our website (www.nintendo.com) for
the latest developments in Wi-Fi gaming as they are made available.

Nintendo of America Inc.
R.M. Rickets

If they have heard our concerns than why do they not address them by having a universal friend code system? I cannot see the justification for not having a universal friend code system. I accept that Nintendo know better than me on this matter and hopefully reasoning for their determination to have individual friend rosters comes clear when they fully announce their online strategy.

Stay with us for further developments.

How the hell can that work? I thought each Friend Code and the inputted codes of other players are saved on the DS card. Wii games aren't re-writable, so will each friend code list for each game require its own save slot in the 512 MB flash memory?

Or will there be some kind of Friend Code Channel and you just go into it and add the codes there and it'll get saved in combination with your save file that's already on the Wii's memory?

Nonetheless, FUCK! I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm one of the few that doesn't really mind friend codes but I do wish they would make them universal. At least they will be working with GameSpy for some kind of matchmaking setup though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, friend codes. I suppose it will be somewhat easier if you already have the people's Wii code since you can just message them your code and vice versa. A friend code channel would hypothetically be the best of a bad situation.

quovadis13 on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fuck you Nintendo!

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    Nintendo wrote:
    No, fuck you titmouse.

Rehab on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God damnit. Might as well not even be online.

YodaTuna on
  • NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »

This is slightly inconvenient so I would rather do completely without.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NOR wrote: »

Entering an umpteen digit code for every person you play with, for every game, is "slight inconvenient?"

Phoenix-D on
    edited March 2007
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Entering an umpteen digit code for every person you play with, for every game, is "slight inconvenient?"

Yeah. Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a single code for each system then one for each game, but having to enter a code for each game is only an inconvenience.

NOR on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is bullshit.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The gates are opened, the Nintendo apologists flood through!

DuskTwilight on
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I never play online, but even I'm pissed off about this. It's just sabotaging the Wii.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    I never play online, but even I'm pissed off about this. It's just sabotaging the Wii.

It's definitely a pain in the ass for online gaming communities, but I doubt it's gonna have any long-term impact on the Wii's success.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Narom wrote: »
    Marlor wrote: »

It's definitely a pain in the ass for online gaming communities, but I doubt it's gonna have any long-term impact on the Wii's success.

I don't know. Little things like this add up, and will damage the reputation of any console.

It shouldn't be as much of a problem for the Wii, since it's never positioned itself as a "hardcore online gamers' console". But it still isn't good.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Who the heck is this?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, I have some good news - though completely unrelated. The Sword and Shield idea that was floating around for ages got a green light. The sku setup form for a Sword and Shield combo for the Wii came across my desk from ASiD today.

Downside - they spelled nunchuck "numchuck".

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why do they do these things?

Elendil on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Considering how many friend codes I've seen in sigs and titles on various forums, I imagine all of this bitching will end after the first few online games come out.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I mean.

Seriously.

Who is this person who posted this "email" and why should we trust them?

This sounds like some no-name site trying to drive up traffic.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited March 2007
    At the very least when belonging to a forum you can expect that someone like BTP will make a thread that has the sole purpose of sharing friend codes and setting up online games. This is much worse for someone that simply owns a Wii but does not know of online communities that they can use for setting up games or finds themselves as one of the few people that they personally know that has the console or is really interested in gaming.

That of course still does not really help with the fact that Nintendo is taking a needlessly convoluted approach to online gaming but it is comforting. With the channels, downloading, shopping, and everything else being so easy to use and the Wii being shown as an easy access system it is odd that they would make online gaming something so, um . . . uneasy to access.

Rehab on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Friend codes aren't at all terrible, a minor nuisance at the least.

The problem with the DS online was NOT the friend codes in any way shape or form.

It was just about every single other thing, though.

Shitty ways of connecting to other people, shitty ways of connecting to your FRIENDS, shitty stability.

I don't even MIND friend codes, it's a harmless 10 seconds of input one time.

Just don't fuck up the online itself Nintendo/GAMESPY GOD DAMN YOU

edit: Complaining about friend codes is asinine, if you do so, kill yourself afterwards.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2007
    Rehab wrote: »
    At the very least when belonging to a forum you can expect that someone like BTP will make a thread that has the sole purpose of sharing friend codes and setting up online games. This is much worse for someone that simply owns a Wii but does not know of online communities that they can use for setting up games or finds themselves as one of the few people that they personally know that has the console or is really interested in gaming.

That of course still does not really help with the fact that Nintendo is taking a needlessly convoluted approach to online gaming but it is comforting. With the channels, downloading, shopping, and everything else being so easy to use and the Wii being shown as an easy access system it is odd that they would make online gaming something so, um . . . uneasy to access.

Nintendo intends it's online gaming to be used as a "between friends" sort of thing only. Horribly shortsighted of them of course, but it's still the only implementation they intend to back.

NOR on
    edited March 2007

Nintendo intends it's online gaming to be used as a "between friends" sort of thing only. Horribly shortsighted of them of course, but it's still the only implementation they intend to back.
    That's....

That's not right at all.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Why do they do these things?

Because Nintendo feels the need to protect damn children.

Couscous on
    edited March 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Friend codes aren't at all terrible, a minor nuisance at the least.

The problem with the DS online was NOT the friend codes in any way shape or form.

It was just about every single other thing, though.

Shitty ways of connecting to other people, shitty ways of connecting to your FRIENDS, shitty stability.

edit: Complaining about friend codes is asinine, if you do so, kill yourself afterwards.

The main problem is offering some kind of online system that "works" yet costs little to maintain and costs nothing for the customer. It's the whole "You get what you pay for" thing.

chaossoldier on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dunno, looking at the Wii lineup, Smash Bros seems like the only game I'd be playing much online...assuming it will be an online game.

Darlan on
    edited March 2007
    Well, PBR is out and people are playing online I assume.

How do they do so?

Are there lobbies for playing against random people? Or do you just get a "play random people" button like MKDS.

I hardly know anything about the online implementation itself, I just know that friend codes are the least of the DS' online problems.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2007
    What amuses me the most about all of the whining, bitching and complaining present in this thread is that people forget that they're not paying for the online service., mostly because Nintendo believes that after you buy the game, there shouldn't be any further monetary transactions involved with that game. Just shows how spoiled gamers can be when they can cry about a FREE service.

chaossoldier on
    edited March 2007

That's....

That's not right at all.

There are other ways, possibly even simpler ways to prevent children using the online system from being prayed on. For instance making everything completely anonymous, no names, no chat, no email; no interaction other then what the particular games provides. Nintendo instead choses to make the system as personal (requiring trading of individual and game specific codes) as they can.

Explain how I'm wrong.

NOR on
    edited March 2007
    What amuses me the most about all of the whining, bitching and complaining present in this thread is that people forget that they're not paying for the online service., mostly because Nintendo believes that after you buy the game, there shouldn't be any further monetary transactions involved with that game. Just shows how spoiled gamers can be when they can cry about a FREE service.
    But battlenet is free and it rocks.

I also don't loathe the idea of using it to play games.

The DS online is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo terrible.

But not because of friend codes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2007

That's....

That's not right at all.

There are other ways, possibly even simpler ways to prevent children using the online system from being prayed on. For instance making everything completely anonymous, no names, no chat, no email; no interaction other then what the particular games provides. Nintendo instead choses to make the system as personal (requiring trading of individual and game specific codes) as they can.

Explain how I'm wrong.

Well, considering most of the online games feature matchmaking feature to set you up against random players, that kinda pokes a hole in your theory there.

chaossoldier on
    edited March 2007

Point taken. Though I thought battlenet was mostly just a lobby for player hosted games?

chaossoldier on
    edited March 2007

I am very much in much in agreement with this when it comes to Nintendo and online. Just make the actual experience of online play fun and stable. The setup is kind of bothersome but ultimately is ultimately not an issue that I will really dwell over or anything.

Also, anyone want to trade friend codes now? I am totally not a pedophile. This is something that I can't prove, you will just have to trust me.

Rehab on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The Wii already has a system code.
    The Wii already has parental controls
    Why aren't they being used?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Which games are you referring to in particular? There a few DS online games that I found perfectly fine when playing against friends. Metroid, Tetris, and Clubhouse Games specifically, allow you to create rooms and have your friends join them. That's pretty much all I ask for.

Unless you're talking about the matchmaking modes, which are still terrible.

mntorankusu on
    edited March 2007

That's....

That's not right at all.

Explain how I'm wrong.

Well, considering most of the online games feature matchmaking feature to set you up against random players, that kinda pokes a hole in your theory there.

Do they? I could swear mario kart did not. I've no clue about 3rd plarty games of course, but I doubt Nintendo really gives a shit how the 3rd parties handle themselves.

NOR on
    edited March 2007

That's....

That's not right at all.

Explain how I'm wrong.

Do they? I could swear mario kart did not. I've no clue about 3rd plarty games of course, but I doubt Nintendo really gives a shit how the 3rd parties handle themselves.

Yep. Mario Kart allows for Local and Worldwide matchmaking.

chaossoldier on
    edited March 2007

That's....

That's not right at all.

Explain how I'm wrong.
    I meant that's wrong because even with the shitty DS online you can play against people "that aren't your friends" in a myriad of ways.

And it's completely obtuse to assume just because friend list building includes friend codes that the other facets of the online are automatically gimped.

I mean, it's not a far stretch because of the clusterfuck that was the DS' online, but a stretch none the less.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • homeobockshomeobocks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God damn it, only Nintendo could take an idea as great and hopefull as the Wii and ruin it over and over again. Here's a hint, Nintendo: you should have been imitating Sony last gen, not this gen.

homeobocks on
    edited March 2007

Which games are you referring to in particular? There a few DS online games that I found perfectly fine when playing against friends. Metroid, Tetris, and Clubhouse Games specifically, allow you to create rooms and have your friends join them. That's pretty much all I ask for.

Unless you're talking about the matchmaking modes, which are still terrible.
    I only own MKDS and MPH.

Both shittacular in the highest order. I mean, at least starting out MPH was terrible. Can you get more than three people in a game now? Even still I wouldn't want to play it, because it's a horribly broken game online anyway, and there's apparently no way to fix it due to the nature of the DS.

MKDS is just a hair-tearing-out-random-connectivity-assfuck.

edit: MKDS' online in three words; Push button, hope.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited March 2007
    homeobocks wrote: »
    God damn it, only Nintendo could take an idea as great and hopefull as the Wii and ruin it over and over again. Here's a hint, Nintendo: you should have been imitating Sony last gen, not this gen.

What?

The PS2 online system is atrocious. Full of lag and gameshark/action replay users that no one does jack shit about.

chaossoldier on