As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Adventure]Do you have what it takes?

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
southern-adventure-start-los-angeles-tour-538x281.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:
Adventure is an exciting or unusual experience; it may also be a bold, usually risky undertaking, with an uncertain outcome. Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger, such as skydiving, mountain climbing or participating in extreme sports. The term also broadly refers to any enterprise that is potentially fraught with physical, financial or psychological risk, such as a business venture, a love affair, or other major life undertakings.

Adventurous experiences create psychological and physiological arousal, which can be interpreted as negative (e.g. fear) or positive (e.g. flow), and which can be detrimental as stated by the Yerkes-Dodson law. For some people, adventure becomes a major pursuit in and of itself. According to adventurer André Malraux, in his La Condition Humaine (1933), "If a man is not ready to risk his life, where is his dignity?". Similarly, Helen Keller stated that "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Outdoor adventurous activities are typically undertaken for the purposes of recreation or excitement: examples are adventure racing and adventure tourism. Adventurous activities can also lead to gains in knowledge, such as those undertaken by explorers and pioneers. Adventure education intentionally uses challenging experiences for learning.

Types of Adventure include:

Exploration

moon-exploration_1098_600x450.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Exploration is the act of searching or traveling around a terrain (including space, see space exploration) for the purpose of discovery of resources or information; Exploration occurs in all non-sessile animal species, including humans. In human history, its peak is arguably seen during the Age of Discovery for Europe's contact with the rest of the world, and major explorations after the Age of Discovery for scientific exploration in the modern era.
The term may also be used metaphorically, for example persons may speak of exploring the internet, sexuality, etc. In scientific research, exploration is one of three purposes of empirical research (the other two being description and explanation). Exploration is the attempt to develop an initial, rough understanding of some phenomenon.

Urban Exploration

Screen-shot-2011-01-26-at-11.29.47-AM-560x372.png
Wikipedia wrote:
Urban exploration (often shortened as urbex or UE) is the exploration of man-made structures, usually abandoned ruins or not usually seen components of the man-made environment. Photography and historical interest/documentation are heavily featured in the hobby and, although it may sometimes involve trespass onto private property, this is not always the case and is of innocent intention. Urban exploration is also commonly referred to as infiltration, although some people consider infiltration to be more closely associated with the exploration of active or inhabited sites. It may also be referred to as draining (when exploring drains), urban spelunking, urban rock climbing, urban caving, or building hacking.

Treasure Hunting

treasure.jpeg
Wikipedia wrote:
Treasure (from Greek θησαυρός - thēsauros, meaning "treasure store", romanized as thesaurus) is a concentration of riches, often one which is considered lost or forgotten until being rediscovered. Some jurisdictions legally define what constitutes treasure, such as in the British Treasure Act 1996.
Treasure hunting is the physical search for treasure. In recent times, the early stages of the development of archaeology included a significant aspect of treasure hunt; Heinrich Schliemann's excavations at Troy, and later at Mycenae, both turned up significant finds of golden artifacts. Early work in Egyptology also included a similar motive.
More recently, most serious treasure hunters have started working underwater, where modern technology allows access to wrecks containing valuables which were previously inaccessible. Starting with the diving suit, and moving on through Scuba and later to ROVs, each new generation of technology has made more wrecks accessible. Many of these wrecks have resulted in the treasure salvage of many fascinating artifacts from Spanish treasure fleets as well as many others

Caving

caving1.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
Caving—also occasionally known as spelunking in the United States and Canada and potholing in the United Kingdom and Ireland—is the recreational pastime of exploring wild (generally non-commercial) cave systems. In contrast, speleology is the scientific study of caves and the cave environment.

The challenges involved in the activity depend on the cave being visited, but often include the negotiation of pitches, squeezes, and water (although actual cave diving is a separate, and much more dangerous, sub-specialty undertaken by very few cavers).

In recent decades, caving has changed considerably due to the availability of modern protective wear and equipment.

Archaeology

a29ba19ea0d9956be09e07002c5635ba_1M.png
Wikipedia wrote:
Archaeology, or archeology (from Greek ἀρχαιολογία, archaiologia – ἀρχαῖος, arkhaios, "ancient"; and -λογία, -logia, "-logy"), is the study of human activity in the past, primarily through the recovery and analysis of the material culture and environmental data that they have left behind, which includes artifacts, architecture, biofacts and cultural landscapes (the archaeological record). Because archaeology employs a wide range of different procedures, it can be considered to be both a science and a humanity, and in the United States it is thought of as a branch of anthropology, although in Europe it is viewed as a separate discipline.

Archaeology studies human history from the development of the first stone tools in eastern Africa 3.4 million years ago up until recent decades. (Archaeology does not include the discipline of paleontology.) It is of most importance for learning about prehistoric societies, when there are no written records for historians to study, making up over 99% of total human history, from the Palaeolithic until the advent of literacy in any given society. Archaeology has various goals, which range from studying human evolution to cultural evolution and understanding culture history.

The discipline involves surveyance, excavation and eventually analysis of data collected to learn more about the past. In broad scope, archaeology relies on cross-disciplinary research.

I’ve believed for a long time that I have been born in the wrong time for what I want to do with my life - exploring uncharted and unknown places and discovering new things and forms of life. Many of the science-changing discoveries due to exploration happened a hundred+ years ago and the next big exploration boom will be when spaceflight becomes commonplace and we can search the stars, unfortunately, the chances of me surviving until that’s possible is slim to none, but there are other ways we can get an adventure fix if we want.

A lot of posters know me from my Urban Exploration days (It’s been a few years since I’ve had a suitable location nearby as well as my now-abandoned career in law enforcement) and I’ve been itching to get back out and do something with my time.

Regardless of what you consider to be adventure, I’d love to hear stories, see photos, and just entertain the possibilities of what we may yet do, especially from those on the forums who may have similar hobbies!

What do you think, D&D? Let's go on an adventure together.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    My UrbEx Flickr

In case any of you missed my Urban Exploration thread and wanted to see a few of my exploits.

---

9450475430e41352f5ddd621b9a91b771789b706_preview.jpg

Forrest Finn Wants You to Find His Treasure
    Newsweek wrote:
    Behind the adobe walls of his Santa Fe compound, inside the red, pantry-size steel vault that protects some of his most valuable pieces, Fenn says he opened an antique lockbox and began to fill it with more than a million dollars’ worth of treasure. He tossed in ancient figurines, a 17th-century Spanish ring, and turquoise beads excavated from a cliff dwelling near Mesa Verde. He added American eagle gold coins, gold nuggets, a vial of gold dust, two gold discs, and “a lot of jewelry,” including rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. Among these wonders he included a copy of his own autobiography, rolled and stuffed into an ancient olive jar. Then he went “into the mountains north of Santa Fe,” Fenn says, and hid the lockbox, to be found by anyone who can decipher the clues embedded in a 24-line poem that ends: “So hear me all and listen good,/Your effort will be worth the cold./If you are brave and in the wood/I give you title to the gold.”

treasurechest2.jpg

So, the biggest thing that drove me to make this thread was finding out about this eccentric millionaire who apparently hid a treasure somewhere in the Rocky Mountains and is giving clues to people on where to find it. This started 3 years ago when Finn believed he was dying of cancer and wanted the hidden treasure to be his legacy. Even though he survived, he still wants people to find it and says it is still out there.

He was on the Today Show not that long ago teasing more clues and inviting more people to go treasure hunting with their family and has apparently hidden more info in his memoir "Thrill of the Chase", though he made sure that he will recieve no profits, lest you believe this is a stunt to make him richer. He gave the rights to the book to a local bookstore and they will recieve the profits and donate 10% of the proceeds to charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffn_IPVH-Ic

I am seriously thinking about going out to look for this.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I've been interested in urban exploration ever since this wonderful post a couple years back

Oh brilliant
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I'm interested in urban exploration and caving. I really need to get started

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    There are few things I have wanted longer than to find some kind of buried/sunken treasure. Like along with being a fighter jet pilot, treasure hunter was my kindergarten career choice.

I attribute this to my long-time obsession with pirates.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I was just thinking we needed a thread like this. I love exploring and getting outdoors. Just recently started Geocaching, and it has been fun getting to know different parts of the area (I think you're from the KC area too, right Spectre?).

Here's a few photos of my adventuring:
    222_zps67ca4339.jpg
    607_zpsb734af05.jpg
    507_zpsf554d711.jpg
    194_zps0fb05feb.jpg
    150_zps32fdb1c2.jpg
    235_zps0a5858c5.jpg
    DSC00075_zps18c35869.jpg
    I love finding stuff like that in the last photo. Hiked up a couple hundred foot rock hill and found a remnant of a fire. Could be a couple years old, or 50. I love finding old mining junk, boards from old buildings, stone foundations from pioneer houses and basically anything old. I'm fascinated with old stuff, and the history of places.

RocketSauce on
    That's absolutely awesome.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    There is a ghost town from the 1960s near my current city. I've been there once. It was amazing!

sig.gif
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Me and my chick want in on urban ex but live in a crappy area for it.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited March 2013
    How do you know?

Also, we need pictures, stories, something, Richy!

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Hidden treasure where the search starts with a poem?

Holy shit, I want to do that so bad.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Was disappointed this thread wasn't about
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS-HYWRdb2g

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am so down for urban exploration

unfortunately, most places around here are tighter than fort knox. Hell, I've been scolded for being where I'm allowed to be lol

Now I settle for metal detecting and bottle hunting.

not quite as cool, but rewarding all the same!

You should post some of your finds on here, man, you might as well be digging up buried treasure.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    So it sounds likes Fenn's treasure was hidden not too far off the road, as he drove in, and carried a 42 lb box. There also seem to be allusions to fishing in a statement he said, and water is a big part of the poem. I'm guessing he hid it at a favorite fishing spot.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Wouldn't tornado chasing be adventure as well or do we not like those twister tards?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited March 2013
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    You should post some of your finds on here, man, you might as well be digging up buried treasure.

I can do that ....

British Royal Navy Captain/Commander button .... dropped during the American Revolution while they were raiding a town near where I live

314638_10150358086153279_267449732_n.jpg

1704-14 Queen Anne stamped lead cloth seal

303223_10150362390833279_1003458422_n.jpg

1858 Flying Eagle Cent

395422_10150510321343279_722107681_n.jpg

1780s Carolus III 1/2 Reale (one sixteenth of a piece of 8)

424823_10150561730608279_200054114_n.jpg

Early St. Catherine Medal

419465_10150625136378279_46060520_n.jpg

1851 3 Cent piece (the dime is for scale)

576223_10150717590168279_502879531_n.jpg

1877 Seated Liberty Dime

73044_10151255270498279_2000965317_n.jpg

Standing Liberty Quarter (most beautiful coin ever minted in the States IMO

539427_10150973493438279_1061919009_n.jpg

I have a ton more, but these are among the best!

Xaquin on
    Buried. Treasure.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Was disappointed this thread wasn't about
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS-HYWRdb2g

SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKIN DUCK AWAY FROM ME

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I remember exploring a run down complex just across the street from where I live. It used to be an old post central/auto workshop and had fallen into a state of severe decay since the beginning of the 00's at least.

I remember coming home from the university and taking another route than usual which lead me to the back entrance to this complex. It was nearing evening and the skies were darkened by the heavy raining clouds. The wired fence, which used to block the entrance, had been cut into pieces and a broken door lay near the entrance to the complex. As I neared the complex, a loud thunderous roar broke the monotone sound of the rain falling on the broken roof. Strengthening my resolve, I took a step inside and peeked around. There were heaps of trash with multiple spray cans littered all over the place. The lack of light and the heavy rain made it difficulty to see the different objects in the trash piles. My imagination began to run wild and at some point I thought the trash pile was heaving and moving a little bit. I imagined that a crazed hobo was sleeping under the pile and at any minute he would spring up and dash towards me.

It was at that point that I decided I had had enough adventure for one day and quickly left the complex. It wasn't until later together with another that I explored the complex fully.

Yogo on
    Most of the stuff I come across is too burned or broken to safely explore.

Burned down Forest Ranger station:

402759_10150490559933279_566333929_n.jpg

Abandoned home:

282020_10151138769318279_1862644483_n.jpg

and tomorrow I'll get the images off my phone of an old cannery turned briefly into a POW camp for German Americans during the second world war. and then abandoned.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    In the town i went to college there was an abandoned pepsi factory and an steel mill down by the river. The place was pretty epic. Especially the pepsi plant. It was 4 floors, and the work floor was wide open with huge glass windows.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    When I was around 12-13 I, my brother, and my brothers friend found an abandoned mine in the hills near Liemen, Germany. Pretty sure the mine was on private property, as getting to it required carefully making your way through razor wire, barbed wire, and a hole in a fence. But tresspassing isn't exactly a thing kids care about. The floor of the mine was littered with fallen stone, puddles of water, old tools, bat shit, and rusted out cart rails. It was very cool seeing old mining picks and shovels so old their handles had completely rotted away leaving only the rusted metal portion of the tool.

There was the main entrance to the mine covered with rusted and broken rolls of barbed wire, and a secondary entrance created when one of the walls of the hillside had collapsed into one of the mine tunnels. We mostly used home made torches to explore as they gave a better spray of light then the narrow beam of a flashlight. Plus, y'know, torches. We were tweens, torches were cool. Except when the torch you were using burns off the stick it was on and falls into a standing water puddle at your feet, plunging you into the utter and complete blackness one can only find deep inside the earth. I had to blindly feel my way out of that tunnel in the dark, one hand on the stone wall, feet shuffling slowly over broken rock.

Now, looking back it was incredibly, stupidly dangerous. If there had been a collapse or a cave in no one knew where we were. But in the ignorance of childhood it was awesome as fuck.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Not to mention gas buildups that can asphyxiate you in minutes.

Old mines are dangerous as fuck.

I'm glad you didn't die!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Old 3 story cannery on the Potomac that was briefly used to house German Americans suspected of ties to Nazi Germany during WW2

0930121404.jpg

0930121350a.jpg

0930121350.jpg

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Can't post pictures as I'm not at home, but some friends and I recently got into outdoor climbing, both top roping and bouldering.

We all been climbing consistently at an indoor gym for 2 years now so it was about time we tried it. It was definitely nerve wracking at first. Though it's also just a great feeling to be gripping actual rock and being outside.

We did bouldering (climbing without a rope, falling into a crash pad) first and the initial attempts were easy climbs where there wasn't much danger as long as you landed right. Soon we progressed to some walls where beyond a certain point the only option is to keep climbing up. I don't think I was ever as terrified as I had been then, though the feeling of topping out was amazing.

Our top roping trip involved similiar trials, since I had just learned how to set the rope (which involves learning different knots) two days before. Climbing up using the rope I had set myself was both frightning and so fullfilling.