As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, March 15, 2013 - The Lexiconnoisseurs

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I love it.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I love this comic. I love the title. And now I feel ashamed for having participated in any SimCity arguments.

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    That joke's been in "the file" since what, PA:TS S2? Glad they finally used it. Love it.

Mercade on
    Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    WORDS ARE AWESOME

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Mercade wrote: »
    That joke's been in "the file" since what, PA:TS S2? Glad they finally used it. Love it.

Which episode was that?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hahaha.. I hope they come back to this well a few years down the line.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    First panel is great.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Unnecessary facts time: "Fiasco" came from Italian glassblowers when they messed up the piece they were trying to create. As an epithet, they were calling their failed art a "flask!"

(this is the story I heard anyway).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Obviously, the solution to this problem is to light someone on fire, and then call it a fiasco.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    wow, I love this comic so much. I think it might be my new favorite.

I am unabashedly against Tycho's interdiction of secondary or tertiary definitions. They help give language its flavor and deter linguistic philistines from partaking in discussion.

Although Steve does look like a dick who would want to argue semantics thus derailing conversations. I mean come on, look at that mustache and hairstyle, he might as well stamp "douchebag" on his forehead.

Also I would say the Simcity launch was indeed a fiasco. I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere, caught on fire because of it.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Reminds me of my constant battle against the definition of "decimate". Which I also accept is futile.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Reminds me of my constant battle against the definition of "decimate". Which I also accept is futile.

What we should do is line up everyone who uses it wrong, pick out every tenth person, and make the other nine beat them to death.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I just wish to express my appreciation for this comic, and my own furious dislike of the increasingly-popular "could care less" expression.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    What a thoroughly delightful strip

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    This comic is awesome.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    PhantoomPhantoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to need a Steve based wallpaper, like yesterday.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Also I would say the Simcity launch was indeed a fiasco. I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere, caught on fire because of it.

I'm surprised no one is calling it a fiasco on the assumption that the servers didn't catch on fire at some point.

• Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That Steve feller just makes me smile. I mean, look at him. Dunno what his middle name is but I bet it's not Trustworthy.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Might this strip also be a parody of the fact that many online game sites engaged in a round-table discussion of this game between their various editors and reviewers?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Mercade wrote: »

Which episode was that?

I can't remember the episode, but it was a 4th panel. They were going over ideas, and one of them was "I don't know if it was a ruse, a sham, a boondoggle or a fiasco"* They couldn't remember why it was funny, though so they didn't use it.

*This is a rough estimate, I don't exactly remember their words.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Tycho needs to shut his mouth when Waluigi is talking.

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    Ijust came in to say, "I'm sick of your Definition 2 bullshit" should totally be a shirt.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    DrCongo wrote: »
    That Steve feller just makes me smile. I mean, look at him. Dunno what his middle name is but I bet it's not Trustworthy.

It's because he's Swarthy, isn't it? Swarthist.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

What we should do is line up everyone who uses it wrong, pick out every tenth person, and make the other nine beat them to death.
    But first, ask them if they would prefer to be decimated or annihilated.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I just wish to express my appreciation for this comic, and my own furious dislike of the increasingly-popular "could care less" expression.

It doesn't even make sense.

Surely its couldn't care less?

• Options
    Dannyboy83Dannyboy83 Registered User regular
    If Harold had dark hair, he would be Maki from Strip Search.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Just make literal use of decimate. Select ten people who use the word incorrectly, kill the tenth, and now you have nine others educated in the proper definition of decimate with firsthand experience. :bz

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Steve is plotting a dark end for Tycho in Panel 3.

It will involve colloquial uses.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How exactly are people using the word decimate incorrectly?

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Word nerds getting upset at people using "decimate" to mean "destroy everything." The word has no practical use in its original form after the fall of ancient Rome, but some people can't let it go.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ancient Rome.

Never forget! :cry:

I'll always remember where I was the day Rome fell.

Edit: Also, I've been meaning to ask Tycho on twitter, but he rarely (if ever) responds to anyone on there. I figure this thread may draw the attention of an amateur wordsmith or two, so I'll ask here.

What the heck is a "Rude Boy"? Like, in the context of a Rihanna or other raggae song?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

The common usage is to indicate something has been reduced by a large amount. 1 in 10 survivors instead of the historically accurate 1 in 10 casualties.

Given that the historical pedants are so very, very far into the population minority on this one, it's not something I feel in any way strongly about. And I'd list 'pedantry' as one of my #1 hobbies.

I couldn't care less if people saying 'could care less' could or could not care less about me correcting them, I'm still going to because it means the opposite of what you intend when you say it wrong you fool.

Also people who apply possessive apostrophes in a random scattered approach as a kind of typographical garnish. Fuck those guys.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Don't get me started on when people say rhaphanidosis but after I get all excited, turns out they don't intend on using a radish at all.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    "quotes"

• Options
    Quint126Quint126 Registered User regular
    I love the drawing and coloring in today's strip. I can't put my finger on how it is different from the previous comics, but I really like it.

• Options
    Al'so people who apply po's'se's'sive apo'strophe's in a random 'scattered approach a's a kind of typographical garni'sh. Fuck tho'se guy's.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, decimate has a specific meaning, that we don't use, but then it has a functional meaning, and that meaning is: destroy enough to seriously impede functionality and efficiency without completely destroying.

So people using the word "decimate" instead of "annihilate" is stupid.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I had an english teacher in college once that insisted it was "I could care less" and did a big rant on it. I remember being annoyed at her wrongness.

sig.gif
  • Options
    mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Don't get me started on when people say rhaphanidosis but after I get all excited, turns out they don't intend on using a radish at all.

had to google this and wikipeida gives us
    Rhaphanidosis is the act of inserting the root of a plant of the
    raphanus genus (commonly known as horseradish) into the anus. It is
    reported to have been a punishment for adultery in ancient Athens of
    the 5th and 4th centuries BC... Rhaphanidosis was not the only
    penalty available; sodomy by mulletfish was common as well, or the man
    could simply be killed on the spot.

I am upset that the wiki entry on mulletfish has no mention of its uses as an adultery punishment tool.

enjoying the see also articles
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figging
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingering

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular

I approve of this idea.