As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me a 2 player Xbox 360 game

DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
Backround, the other day when shopping my husband mentions that we haven't dusted off the 360 in forever, and maybe we should get a game we can play together on it. And it's true, the two of us spend most of our gaming time on the PC and while we do game togther in online games, we haven't played a co-op console game together in forever.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good 2 player game on the Xbox? None of the Lego games, I mentioned that and my husband said they didn't grab him. But any fighters or shooters would work, especially and co-op cames where we can play with each other instead of agaisnt each other (because I have a habit of quickly memorizing where the good 'cheap' weapons spawn and no one likes that except me)

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.

• Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Castle Crashers is pretty awesome, but not deep really. Gears of War has a co-op campaign and i think some of the Halo games do too. the marvel games are pretty fun as well (ultimate alliance 1 & 2)

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    For shooty co op goodness:
    Borderlands 1 or 2, Army of Two 1, 2, or 3 (out on the 29th.) Via the Xbox Arcade, Kill Team is a decen dual stick shooter based in the Warhammer 40K universe.
    For not-strictly-shooty co op goodness:
    Culdcept Saga, which you'll find I recommend anytime someone says 'xbox 360.'
    Also, from the Arcade, Dead Beat is... well... Really good.

Pantshandshake on
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Culdcept Saga
    Can that one be played co-op on one console?

There is like a gazillion Dynasty Warrior games and similar out there, that I have played cooperatively with my hubby. Some have more detail than others as far as customization, loot, gear, crafting and non linear game play goes, but they are all pretty similar once you get to the combat part.

I also STRONGLY recommend Borderlands 1&2!

Siska on
    I'm fairly certain it can. Not the story, but I believe there's a teams option when you set up a random game. If I can remember, I'll double check when I get home.

And, I forgot about the Dynasty Warrior series. Good times with those. Though I'd avoid the Gundam version.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Lara croft: The guardians of light. its a downloadable xbox arcade game, and its really fun to play co-op.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I don't know whether it's actually considered a good game or not, but I was enjoying playing The Cursed Crusade with my dad's girlfriend (she got a 360 when she retired and got addicted to Oblivion and Skyrim and whatnot) when I randomly picked it up off the shelf since it was cheap and looked kind of cool. I mean WE were certainly enjoying it at least, and it's really cheap, so there's that. :P It's a gritty hack-and-slash with two enjoyable dudes for the characters, set in the time of the Crusades. I think you can change the difficulty between levels if you want, which is nice.

Essee on
  • Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Both Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 have split screen co-op, and you need to play co-op in that, or you will both die horrible deaths.

You might die horrible zombie deaths anyway, but at least together you have a chance.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    These aren't fighters or shooters, but some genuinely good co-op games are Portal 2, Splosion Man, and Ms Splosion Man.

There is some slight chance that these games may make you want to kill your co-op partner. But... they're fun! In a murderous, drop your partner into the lightning, no dear of course I didn't do that on purpose sort of way. Erm.

For hack-and-slash you might think about Sacred 2, although it is a huge time investment. It's a pretty fun game though, and the co-op works pretty well.

illirica on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Seconding Portal 2. I finally played the co-op in that last night and had a fucking blast.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Thanks all, these suggestions will help a ton!

Although if I end up dropping him in lightning, I wouldn't lie about it, I'd just grin at him.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Sacred 2 is an awesome Diablo clone with some crazy character classes. Look into character builds tho; some skills straight up don;t work and there are no re-specs. The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games work on a similar way but are glitchy and sort of shallow.

Otherwise all I would back that's been suggested is Borderlands or Castle Crashers. Also, ignore the craziness of avoiding the Gundam Dynasty Warriors games, those are easily the best of the series. There's also lots of this exact thread wandering the various forums; they could have lots of suggestions in them as well.

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Lara croft: The guardians of light. its a downloadable xbox arcade game, and its really fun to play co-op.

Lara Croft:GoL is fantastic. My girlfriend and I loved playing through it. Some other games on Arcade that you might want to try are the already mentioned Castle Crashers, Double Dragon Neon, and Renegade Ops.

Oh, and Terraria 360 is coming out soon. You'll want to give that a gander. Is Minecraft 360 multiplayer same console at all?

Minecraft and Terraria are no goes, I've been trying to get him to try Minecraft on the PC for years and he just isn't interested.

Sit on him and make it happen. There simply is no way he won't like it.

Everyone likes Minecraft.

I've tried, believe me, I've tried everything. But he just doesn't want to diggy diggy hole.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's split screen or not but doesn't Dead Space 3 have co-op? Dungeon Siege 3, while a game of questionable quality, is also co-op.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Thirding Castle Crashers.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Rayman Origins? Why has noone mentioned that one yet?

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Okay I know this thread is old and the game is old but seriously no mention of Crackdown? For shame.

• ChakotayChakotay Registered User regular
    Borderlands 1 and 2. Left 4 dead as well.

• CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Okay I know this thread is old and the game is old but seriously no mention of Crackdown? For shame.

As much as I wish it did, Crackdown does not have local co-op. Only online/system link.

• TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    I might be a giant child at heart but lego batman/starwars/lord of the rings are pretty good local coop

• RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    The Halos have co-op mode, and if you haven't played them, they're a pretty fun storyline to get invested in. I'm mainly talking about Halo 3 (Which you should be able to find for cheap), but it may make more sense if you play Halo 1 and 2 first (which came out on the original XBox).

Other than that, everyone has covered most of my stuff.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm going to second the Army of Two trilogy. They are the ultimate bromance-shooter brosimulation. Played alone they're really only slightly above average generic shooters, but at least in my experience, playing co-op made them into a magical experience. I'm actually looking forward to the latest one.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    TheGinger wrote: »
    I might be a giant child at heart but lego batman/starwars/lord of the rings are pretty good local coop

I agree. But my husband does not, hence why I said no Lego in the OP. Also, no Castle Crashers or Borderlands, because he hates the graphics of both. But Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, and Army of Two have all obtain 'will look into further' responses, so there's hope yet!

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    It's older but I believe Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 has split screen co-op. I really liked the game.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    I'm going to second the Army of Two trilogy. They are the ultimate bromance-shooter brosimulation. Played alone they're really only slightly above average generic shooters, but at least in my experience, playing co-op made them into a magical experience. I'm actually looking forward to the latest one.

If my sudden loss of the past two days is any guide, the third one is quite good, and heartily recommended for a 2 player co op shooter.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Ok, I've read this thread top to bottom a couple of times and I can't see the dozen or more mentions of Earth Defense Force 2017 that should be in it. Do I have some kind of weird filter on my phone?

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Earth Defense Force 2017. It's easily the best choice that you couldn't just as easily play online with one of 'those' friends.

Plus, your split-screen co-op partner benefits from any grinding for weapons or health that you do on your own, so it's easy to keep someone interested in the game when they had trouble on the last outing. Take it from someone who's played through the game up through the crazy Inferno difficulty. It was never not fun.

Also, it may seem kind of weak in comparison with the games that have been mentioned, but don't write off Trivial Pursuit. The Clear the Board mode lets everyone participate, on the same team, while one of you can be working the controller while the other kind of half pays attention while also tackling work/kids/real-life matters and chips in with a crucial answer now and then. Since we discovered that mode, it's the only way I've played it for like a year now. And Scene-It just collects dust, since everybody has to be paying full attention for that one.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • JIBBERJABJIBBERJAB Registered User new member
    I'd advise Left 4 dead 2, It's hard to find in stores, but online you'll find it, and for a low price, don't get left 4 dead (No.1) because you are forced to stick with a pistol where in Left 4 dead 2 you can get melee and a primary weapon, its a coop campaign as well as single player, you get to go around chopping zombies heads off and there are special zombies with have special abilities, watch the trailer and then you will want to get it!

• JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    I really dug the Scott Pilgrim game in the Arcade.

sig.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Resident

Evil

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I wonder what the OP ended up choosing, since this was necro-bumped from way back in March. @Decomposey Update?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.