As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] THIS THREAD IS DONE! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2013 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

You've arrived at the official Penny Arcade StarCraft 2 discussion page. Here we discuss everything from the game, the races, balance issues, tournaments, and the culture (K-Pop, etc). Be warned, this thread moves quickly, especially when live events are happening.

StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm has released worldwide! Go buy your copy today and help Kerrigan destroy the Terran and Protoss menace.

How to play with PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join the group Penny Arcade (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

Where can I watch some good tournaments and streams?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Grubby's stream should be in that post, you traitor.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i find that unranked matches aren't any more relaxing than ranked matches

I have my positive and my negative feelings about ranked matches, but the negative feelings aren't associated with losing points, they're just associated with flat out losing

and that doesn't change in unranked

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i find that unranked matches aren't any more relaxing than ranked matches

I have my positive and my negative feelings about ranked matches, but the negative feelings aren't associated with losing points, they're just associated with flat out losing

and that doesn't change in unranked

I completely agree. the loss is as bad but I know less about the game, or feel like I do anyway. as in our ranks.

re: post about needing 4 hatcheries to fight two nexus, if you get 6 lings in the base early you win the game. I feel like there is a balance there

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'm reposting this on behalf of Kambing because it was a great game and doesn't deserve to be buried by a new thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MtEWlDAZdHg

Edit: Also, you're all right. My mic is horrible.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    picked up HoTS today and am hiding in the campaign/watching GSTL while casting furtive glances at the multiplayer button. I probably need to beat the campaign and farm some achievements before I dive in.

...all the achievements, even

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    if anything, unranked has more negative feelings when you lose, because when I win an epic 40min game that started with some dickface zerg cheesing me, and then the score screen comes up and I realise I didn't steal any ladder points, that is just...awful.

• Options
    fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    if anything, unranked has more negative feelings when you lose, because when I win an epic 40min game that started with some dickface zerg cheesing me, and then the score screen comes up and I realise I didn't steal any ladder points, that is just...awful.

Crap, i was just about to post this.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    @Kambing Can vipers abduct burrowed widow mines?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    unranked sounds useful for a warmup, or offracing. and you can just leave if the game is shit i guess?

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Does 10pool count as cheese in PvZ?

I mean the guy in question is a fuckwit for doing it, but is it really cheese or just an aggressive opener?

• Options
    that spl special is on! go flash! put him on before ssl starts :!:

• Options
    theSquid wrote: »
    Does 10pool count as cheese in PvZ?

I mean the guy in question is a fuckwit for doing it, but is it really cheese or just an aggressive opener?

i'm not having this discussion again

• Options
    wtf at those 2 games :...: :...: :...:

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    i've just started watching the intermissionleague stream but i take it it's korean progamers not taking exhibition matches seriously?

• Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    Would anyone be able to take a look at this replay and let me know what I should be doing to make sure I don't die horribly every time I play TvP?

drop.sc/312535

Thought my macro was OK (still a bit rusty but better than my opponent) up to the 10 min mark. I then decided to try and put a bit of pressure on to make sure they don't over expand: I ran my army over to their base, checked for a third and then pulled up outside his natural to see what was up there. I have got a bit better at just running into the natural so sent a marine up to check on what was going on, at which point his army walked down the ramp and smashed my face in.

What should I be doing in this situation? I feel like if I leave him to mass up a death ball I die horrible but also if I engage at 12 mins with my roughly equal size army I also die horribly. I'm, sure there is some kind of key strategic point I am missing here but no idea at all what it is :/

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Aw yea, new thread!

I just got the blue screen of death during a match. Served to remind me that you can't win 100% of the time and it's just a game. I'm very quickly getting over my fear of laddering.

Also, I haven't made a single unit that wasn't a marine or an SCV yet. Best comp so far: 49 SCVs 47 Marines at 10 min

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    @Hedwirez - loading up your replay now.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    kedinik wrote: »
    @Kambing Can vipers abduct burrowed widow mines?
    I don't see why you wouldn't? Phoenixes can lift up burrowed zerg units as long as they're detected, for example.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I'm going to jump on your "decent macro" comment here - I'm going to go through and sort of illustrate that it isn't a strategic point that's letting you down here.

-Your command centre at the natural was about 30 seconds late - it should go down at 3:30. This is very significant.
    -Your CC in your main was idle from 3:41 to 3:54 due to you being distracted by a scout probe. This is nearly a full worker build time worth of delay.
    -small non-macro thing - put the bunker at the natural ramp vs Protoss, not near the command centre. If you were playing against me and did this, I would mercilessly punish you with stalker harass with the bunker there.
    -your money is floating up at 5:30 - this is because you made your extra two raxes a bit late, which in turn was because you overmade supply depots - you're at 28/46 and still making another one. This is a lot of wasted minerals that should be invested into production buildings sooner to help you spend your money on useful things
    -you have similar small mistakes up to around 10mins

Let me clear - all of these mistakes are really minor (except the CC), but let me show you how they all add up into some real bad shit.

To summarize, you attack at 11mins, and while you make a pretty significant mistake (you move-command into his army and lose a few units as a result, the real thing that lost you the game was fixable entirely by macro.
    At 11:00 when your forces collide outside his base, you have 8 marauders, 24 marines, stim, no combat shields, and 2 medivacs at your base. You have no weapon upgrades. You also have 54 scvs, and a total of 104 supply.

To illustrate the difference, I quickly ran through a 1rax FE into 3rax medivac same as your build. This is the build I do when I offrace TvP, so I'm decent at it.

in the game I just played, running through the same build. At 11:00, I have 8 marauders, 33 marines, 4 medivacs (2 are in middle of the map, two are with my army), stim, combat shields, +1 weapons, +1 armour started, 57 scvs, and 120 total supply.

So that's 4 medivacs you don't have, two upgrades (combat shield and +1 weapons) and another 9 marines and 3 scvs at exactly the same time point in the game. I also have three more barracks building at home to continue the game if this push does nothing. That final battle, even with the micro mistake you made, suddenly goes WAY better and you probably win the game right there.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    And, to add a small strategic slant to it - at 10:00, you have medivacs on the way, and +1 weapons on the way, yet you attack before either of these are with your army. If you're going to attack, make the attack as strong as it can be. The best time to attack is the split second right after upgrades or tech hit the field - that gives them their biggest impact because you may be ahead of your opponent. Attacking while upgrading or going for tech in the midgame is a really bad idea - you've sacrificed spending some resources on army to get those things, and they haven't hit the field yet. This means your army is smaller than it would otherwise be.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    can't wait to watch the gstl games yesssssss

something to brighten me up once I'm home from pax :(

so glad I wasted time on the forum before leaving for the con, almost forgot my mousepad again.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Also @Hedwirez, as one final post, let me just stress that I am not trying to rip you apart here. It can be really difficult to see this kind of thing in game - I totally get the feeling of "man, my macro was fine there, what the hell happened". It happens to me all the time. And then I watch the replay and I see myself ignore warpins or robotics facilitiy production for 30 seconds while in the middle of a game deciding fight, and missing a cycle of reinforcements costs me the game. That's a macro fail, and it happens to me more than I care to admit.

I don't say the above to shred your self confidence in your macro, because your macro was actually not that bad. But it's important to be able to recognise precisely how and where it can be better, and what impact that would have on your game. And as we see in this example, it's the difference between a win and a loss.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Thanks @dhalphir as I start playing a bit more I'll look at fixing the macro mistakes, I know they are there as I used to be able to hit 100 supply with a third on the way at about 10 mins.

Am I right about attacking around this point in time though? I feel like if I was playing against a Protoss who had decent macro they would end up having a bigger army too.

Also, how should I micro against the P army, I assume just stutter step?

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    11mins is a good time to attack, but only because thats the time at which a well executed build will hit the 4 medivac mark with stim/shields/+1 weapons. If you slip up on macro and are late on those things, don't attack without them, that defeats the purpose. If you were going to attack without medivacs, you'd be better off going for a quicker 5 barracks marine marauder stim attack rather than the fast medivacs.

• Options
    If you want to stutterstep you can - if you do, make sure you can keep up prodduction while you do so.

If you are watching your replays as you should, you will notice quickly whether you are able to stutter micro and produce simultaneously.

• Options
    A good general tip for Protoss and Terran, especially Terran, is to queue up a double round of production and scvs when you know a battle is coming, to give you those 20-30 seconds where you do not have to macro and can focus on the fight.

• Options
    Thanks, will concentrate on hitting a proper timing with upgrades for the moment.

Just find it a little frustrating that I can do ridiculous mech builds with almost no upgrades that beat Diamond P's but can't for the life of my get my head round bio and lose in platinum league every time.

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    I JUST FUCKING PLAYED STEPHANO!

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    he went protoss i was accidentally random. went to set up a ffe...all downhill from there.

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Oh god that is exactly what my brain would do in that situation.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Is the server down? I've been having connection trouble since last night. D3 works

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    When do I want a momma ship core?

I recognize that not having one early is costing me if I get attacked early, but I don't want to sacrifice early probes to get one.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    Wow haha. Widow mines are incredibly incredibly good. Ridiculously good. The worst thing about them is the fact that they take something like 1.5 seconds to activate. People say "oh easy. send one ling ahead to set them off, and then roll in." What they don't realize is if the terran has anything standing there with the widow mines, your 1-2 lings get shit on in a fraction of a second and they will never set those mines off. So that tactic is essentially moot.

Yeah yeah I'm bitter after getting absolutely stomped by 2 terrans on the ladder. I just don't see what's suppose to happen here. How does one engage bio/WM?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    When do I want a momma ship core?

I recognize that not having one early is costing me if I get attacked early, but I don't want to sacrifice early probes to get one.

I think most people start it whenever the core finishes.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    TheBog wrote: »
    Wow haha. Widow mines are incredibly incredibly good. Ridiculously good. The worst thing about them is the fact that they take something like 1.5 seconds to activate. People say "oh easy. send one ling ahead to set them off, and then roll in." What they don't realize is if the terran has anything standing there with the widow mines, your 1-2 lings get shit on in a fraction of a second and they will never set those mines off. So that tactic is essentially moot.

Yeah yeah I'm bitter after getting absolutely stomped by 2 terrans on the ladder. I just don't see what's suppose to happen here. How does one engage bio/WM?
    In this case, sounds like you need to engage without losing real units? I.e. SH or BL?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I am so bad at dealing with swarm hosts.

Not the unit itself, but the sequence of events that lets my opponent get them outside my base with an army standing on top of them

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Just started playing again

I do not understand how ZvZ develops now after the initial ling/bane shenanigans

Someone educate me

• Options

I do not understand how ZvZ develops now after the initial ling/bane shenanigans

Someone educate me

mutas as far as the eye can see

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular

Someone educate me

Why is the zvz meta all mutas? I only recently started playing multi again, and I'm curious how it developed this way.

• Options
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Someone educate me

Why is the zvz meta all mutas? I only recently started playing multi again, and I'm curious how it developed this way.

they are now 4.0 movespeed up from 3.75 and regen an extra 1hp/s in or out of combat.

This discussion has been closed.